Rhubarb Vanilla Ale

Champagne, Fruity, Malt, Rhubarb, Spices, Tart, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our Rhubarb Vanilla Ale pairs rhubarb, vanilla, and hops with our earthy and malty Congou Keemun. With each sip, the sweet and slightly tangy rhubarb and the spiciness of the Willamette hops grows and lingers. There is a gentle warm vanilla undertone and an almost sparking quality to this tea. We recommend letting the tea cool to reveal the flavors or adding a little bit of sugar. Adding sugar will enhance both the rhubarb and the vanilla while rounding out the hops; however, if too much sugar is added it will diminish the hops flavor.

Ingredients: Congou Keemun, Willamette Hops, Safflower, Organic Pure Ground Vanilla Beans (no fillers), Organic Natural Flavoring (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 tablespoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

SIpdown! Thanks so much to Stacy for including this as a sample in my last order – I knew I wouldn’t be a big fan because I dislike hops, but I have some strange desire to tryalltheteas even if I doubt I’ll like them. Anyhow, it’s not too bad, but as I suspected, I would enjoy the tea much more sans hops! I definitely tasted creamy vanilla fruitiness, but it was masked by the bitterness of the hops (which I initially attributed to oversteeping before remembering which tea I was drinking). It’s hard to really assess the tea when there’s an element in it I really don’t care for, but I feel like this is probably quite a good tea if you like ale. I’m not entirely sure if the rhubarb comes through distinctly, but again, it could be a bit masked. Anyways, satisfied my curiosity! Mission accomplished.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
VariaTEA

Cold brewing this hides the hops and makes for a creamy vanilla/rhubarb deliciousness!

Kittenna

Hahaha, I definitely believe that – a lot of effort for a tea that is supposed to taste like hops!

I thought I had reviewed this tea before. I had gotten a sample of this a while back from a tea stash sale, and this has been on my wish list ever since. I really like the tartness of this tea mixed with a hint of sweet vanilla. This is a different tea, no a flavor you will find anywhere else and I really like it.

Ooo this is nice. The flavors are light, subtle and not at all artificial. The rhubarb tastes really fresh and I agree with others that it tastes a bit like a lambic. Next time I will have to add some sugar to make it even more tasty.

The more I drink this, the more I really like it. I’m in the process of trying to sip down some of my teas (you know you have a problem when you’re storing tea all over the house because it no longer fits in the one large cupboard you’ve appropriated from the kitchen) and since I didn’t really reach for Rhubarb Vanilla Ale very much I decided this was a good place to start putting my reduction plans into action. Unfortunately the more I drink this the more I want to buy more as soon as the bag is gone. This has some awesome things going on in it, especially when you add a touch of milk, sweet enough on its own to not need sugar this cup bursts with fruity hoppy goodness. Yup, going back on my shopping list once done.

From the Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

This is a sweet/tart tea with a kick. I like the rhubarb flavor beside the creamy vanilla note. The ale flavor eludes me, but I’m enjoying this tea so much that I don’t mind. I think I may have picked up on the hops note as the tea cooled, but I may need a second cup just to make sure. I’m so glad this one made its way into the ttb! ;-)

I thought I’d compare this one with Ruby Pie to see which one I preferred and if there was one I couldn’t live without. Both are from Virginia! The leaves of this tea are dark brown, interspersed with red petals and these wispy white petal-like things. I’m not sure what they are. When brewed, they produce a sienna-colored liquor and smell of sweet fruit and vanilla. The taste is dominated by vanilla (I’m totally ok with this) with a little fruity tartness in the background. It actually reminds me of a belgian lambic more than an ale. Again, I’m ok with this :). In a contest between this and Ruby Pie, this tea is the winner by a long shot. Neither one is something I can’t live without though.

Butiki Teas

The pale greenish/yellowish leaves are hops. :)

mj

Thanks Stacy! You always help me out when I don’t recognize something in one of your teas :)

Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

Yay, my first ever TTB! So exciting. I looked through and picked out what I want to try, and this one sounded like it could be either very good or very weird. I love vanilla, and rhubarb is interesting, but I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the ale part of it. Visually, it’s a large leaf black tea with flower petals mixed in. It smells sweet, tart, and effervescent!

I actually am liking this tea, even if it is a bit odd. Mine is definitely weaker than it’s supposed to be, but I didn’t want to use a full tablespoon when there’s not much of it in there! There’s definitely a tart fruitiness which is obviously the rhubarb, and I get a little bit of vanilla, though I would prefer more. The ale quality of it is very interesting! It’s more bubbly-tasting than anything, maybe with a little bit of the malty ale flavor. And I get a little touch of spice at the end, presumably from the hops. It’s odd though, there’s something about this tea that tastes like artificial sweetener to me. I’m not sure if it’s the rhubarb flavoring or if it’s something to do with the hops, but it’s kind of stevia-like.

Overall, I do enjoy this tea and I would definitely try it again. Probably not going to make this week’s Butiki order, however. :P

Flavors: Champagne, Fruity, Malt, Rhubarb, Spices, Tart, Vanilla

Surprisingly, I liked this best when cold brewed for about 7 hours

Cameron B.

I can see this being amazing cold with that effervescent quality. :)

VariaTEA

It tastes like strawberry rhubarb ice cream. Very nice :)

Roswell Strange

I agree with VariaTEA – cold brew is the best prep method for this one :)

Frolic

I love this hot or cold brewed.

I like this. It’s nice. But I don’t necessarily feel like writing a ton about it. I’ve never found anything remotely similar to rhubarb in any of the supposed rhubarb teas I’ve had before this one. I am pleasantly surprised to find it here. I like the tang with the vanilla. There’s a strange flavour in there though, it comes and goes in an instant…Is it the hops? I’ve never had it so I really don’t know. I added sugar and I enjoyed it less.

I tried this as a tea soda today. 1 tablespoon leaf + 3 oz boiling water for 4 minutes + 8 oz of cold seltzer. Unsurprisingly, the carbonation really brought out the hops flavor. This ended up tasting a lot like watered-down fruity beer with a sweet vanilla aftertaste. Not bad.

heh nice

My first cold steep ever! Hooray for it not going horribly wrong!

I put what I had left from the sample MissB sent me into a mason jar with some cold filtered water before I went to bed last night. I didn’t get to check on it or drink it until after work so it had been steeping for a good 20 hours or so at that point.

It tastes nice, I might have put too much water in the jar for the amount of tea, because it’s a bit lighter than I expected as far as taste goes, but it definitely got even smoother than it was hot. The taste is similar, though the vanilla isn’t as pronounced for sure. I’m pretty happy with how my first cold steep went!

Iced 8 min or more