Irish Cream Cheesecake

Calendula, Cornflower Petals, Marshmallow Leaf, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Sourenee Second Flush
Cream, Earth, Grapes, Nuts, Muscatel, Nutty, Tangy
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by hapatite

• “Another comforting Butiki tea to get through my snowy snowy day at work :) This might be my favorite from the new batch of flavored teas just released...they have all been wonderful though! ” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 902 tasting notes
  • “This one turned out perfectly this morning. The lower temperature really is the key I find. This one has been finicky for me in the past, but when it works out I absolutely _love_ it. I'll...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 681 tasting notes
  • “I'm home with all my teas! I'll be honest, that was the first thing I looked at when I walked out the door. I'm not ashamed. Also, my Breville turned 3 yesterday! I do love my little tea...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Hm. It smelled good dry. But I honestly got nothing but tea taste. No cream, no cheesecake, nada. I tried adding a bit of sugar but that just made it sweet tea. I need to try this at home. I had...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 519 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Irish Cream Cheesecake pairs our Organic Sourenee Second Flush with a rich Irish Cream flavor. The cheesecake notes can be detected towards the end of each sip. The slightly earthy but chocolate base tea contrasts the intense creaminess that lingers long after each sip. This tea is decadent even without sugar. With sugar, the sweet creaminess is intense but the cheesecake becomes more prominent and balances the flavor so that it is not excessive. We recommend drinking this tea hot. As it cools, more water may need to be added if a slight bitterness occurs. Please research all precautions before consuming any herbs (marshmallow leaf).

Ingredients: Organic Sourenee Second Flush, Organic Cornflowers, Organic Calendula, Organic Marshmallow Leaf, Organic Natural Flavors (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 205 F

For more information please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com/

About Butiki Teas View company

Definitely growing on me. I made some of this tea yesterday to take out with me and when I got back home I found that SOMEONE had tossed the leaves I was going to resteep. I apparently didn’t get my fix because I’m drinking it again this morning. It isn’t a super flashy flavored tea like I’m often drawn to, but what it has it does really well.

Dustin

Ugh! I went for a second steep after a nap and came back to an empty steeper again. We have four steepers on that counter, three of which were not in use, yet mine was dumped to steep some other tea. My husband is usually pretty good about leaving my leaves, so I’m suspecting it was our house guest. :(

Thank you to TeaTiff for this sample, my first swap ever on Steepster!

This doesn’t really seem like a special or decadent tea to me. It just seems normal. If I tasted it at a tea room, I would think it was a nice black tea. It smells a bit sweet, but the sip leaves me with a strong astringent taste that I can’t get over or associate with cheesecake.

Butiki Teas

This one is probably our biggest failure. We discontinued it shortly after releasing it. The main issue is that there is a sweet spot for making this tea but it is very difficult to achieve and it often means the tea becomes astringent or overshadows the flavor. We are working on a new blend with a different and gentle base tea.

GCTTB3

Man, I treated this tea really poorly today. Remember that in my last note I made 2 teas at a time in different mugs? Well, this was the second one. And I did not pay attention to it at all. I let it get cold, then I reheated it, then I let it get cold again – and it’s now 5 hours later, and I’ve had less than half the cup.

For what it’s worth, it certainly smells nice, but I think that in general I’m wary of Butiki’s flavoured blends, even though yesterday’s Premium Taiwanese Assam was amazing. It smells like chocolate and cream, though.

I’m on a roll here with the backlogs. Ive been slacking! I had this one so long ago, but I remember it very well and I kept copy of my notes in my own spreadsheet.

I was wary trying this one since I hate cheesecake. I mean, really. . cheese + dessert? whose crazy idea was that anyway? But, I received a free sample of this so I tried it. It smelled absolutely divine. Probably the best smelling flavored tea I’ve come across yet (except maybe 8 candles from DT, that one smells divine but tastes horrid!) I was disappointed with the flavor though. It wasn’t bad, but just plain. It was plain and nutty with a strange aftertaste. The smell was good enough to keep me drinking the cup, but I wouldn’t repurchase this one if it was still available.

Tastes creamy, and has a touch of sweetness. A lovely tea. The creamy flavour sure comes out.

4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Whoa!

What did I do here?! Last time I had this it was bitter and icky and I got zero Irish cream or cheesecake flavoring from it.

Today, I was like “f*ck it”, just decided to make the rest without worrying too much about fussing with it because I didn’t expect it would amount to anything tasty anyway…… I was just cautious with the temperature because I remembered that much.

So I steeped it at about 93 degrees, set my timer for 3 min and added some milk.

I just finished my salad and had a small piece of dark chocolate to get the salad taste out of my mouth, then took a sip of this and “holy!” So good, what the hell happened!? Haha.

So I get what this tea was meant to be, if it wasn’t so damn temperamental.

Glad I got to taste the creaminess.

Still a bitter undertone, but nothing like before. I don’t get cheesecake in here, not even sure I get Irish cream (what IS Irish cream anyway? Because I just associate that with Baileys. Is that wrong? Or is it some other thing?)…. But I am getting a creaminess,

So, an enjoyable post walk, post salad cuppa!

Sample sipdown (from Courtney) – thanks :)

Raising my rating because if you do it right, it’s pretty decent!

whatshesaid

I like to start my sentences with “So”. :)

TheKesser

Sounds great!

boychik

i like to start my sentences with And

Virginia

Hahaha xD

Thank you TeaTiff for selling a bit of this one! I probably like the Sourenee from Butiki more than most people, so I was excited to try this one. I don’t really see how this one would work with cheesecake other than the "sour"ness of it (I have no idea if that influences the name at all). I used 1 1/3 teaspoons of leaves.

Steep #1 // 10 min after cooling // 3 min
This actually has a hint of cheesecake flavor… but I could use some creaminess. The flavor of the Sourenee on its own reminded me of plum before, but this blend doesn’t have that – it is pretty astringent. But it’s like the sourness of a cheesecake.

Steep #2 // 5 min after cooling // 3 min
This one seems to have lost all of the cheesecake flavor that was there, and the leaves are really brisk this time around… especially at the top of the cup for some reason. Too bad. I will enjoy drinking the remainders of my sample, but this isn’t Butiki’s best. But it’s already gone (I think) so they know that!

From the queue

This one was also from Courtney, and you may remember that I had asked for either this or the Tealux Cream Irish Breakfast as I thought they sounded interesting and Courtney thought they were very similar, and also that happily she had enough of both to share with me and was sweet enough to do so. I’m therefore having this one on the same day that I had the other, so that I too can see if I find them similar.

I think it definitely smells like cheesecake. It really was the first thing that popped into my head when I first sniffed it. I’m not sure I would have got cheesecake if I hadn’t known it to be there from the title as cheesecake is never really something at the forefront of my mind. I mean I like it a lot, but I have it very seldomly. I don’t think Husband quite got this from the aroma, but then he also started to wonder what cheesecake actually smells like and whether it smells like anything in particular. Well, I think it smells like cheesecake. Especially the crust of one.

Not sure about Irish cream, though. I’m only vaguely aware of that, so I don’t really know what to search for there. I can pick up something of the base underneath though. It’s fairly malty and reminds me a bit of Assam with a smidge of that cardboard-y note. I’m surprised then to find that the base is actually a second flush Darjeeling. This is interesting because when sipping it, I’m getting zero of the notes that ordinarily makes me dislilke Darjeeling. I imagine it’s a combination of it being second flush and it being tempered further by the flavouring. Perhaps it’s time to investigate second flushes, and maybe also autumnal, Darjeelings? This tea makes me think I might be ready for that.

Yes, I can definitely see similarities in the aroma, apart from how the Cream Irish Breakfast smelled very much like strawberry to me (I seem to be the only one) and this one doesn’t.

I can also see the similarity in the flavour, but this one has the cream more to the front and it’s not as smooth as the breakfast blend. It’s a little more aggressive. I have to say that tastewise it doesn’t give me that same cheesecake-y impression that the aroma did, but there is something that offsets the cream note. It’s sweeter than the breakfast blend, which may be the biggest difference between the two.

On the whole I agree with Courtney that they are very similar, but I must say I think I preferred the breakfast blend slightly more than this.

Courtney

I’m just catching up on reading notes from the past week now. I’m glad you found this one enjoyable.

This was, surprisingly, not a huge hit with me. I might have brewed it wrong, or not sweetened enough, but all I got was the taste of the black tea base. I love my Butiki blends, but this one was just not really for me.

Stacy made a semi-custom version of this for me, using Organic Huangshan Mao Feng as a base. Thanks Stacy! Given the number of notes complaining of astringency and finicky flavor, I humbly suggest a reblend using this as the base. No astringency or subtle flavor here. Just smooth cream. Irish on the front end with a hint of cheesecake at the back. Absolutely wonderful. Perfect travel mug tea on a cold day.

I won’t assign a rating because I don’t have the exact tea, but I would give this a 92.

Stephanie

ooh a custom version, nice!

love it when stacy does that! good to know the base makes this better as well :)