White Rhino

White Tea
Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Cocoa, Caramel, Cream, Sweet Potatoes, Apricot
Edit tea info Last updated by Nicole

• “I'm on the resteep of this one now. I'm always impressed with this tea. So much delicious flavour. I can't drink this one all the time though. I really need to have the time to sit back and enjoy...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 569 tasting notes
  • “This week is really chaotic. I’m taking a nice break now to enjoy this phenomenal tea. I love it so much! I’m not sure how well it will be received, maybe it’s just me that loves it but I really...” Read full tasting note
    butikiteas 43 tasting notes
  • “farewell you delicious tea. We WILL meet again...soon! I had the last little bit of this today in an effort to get at least a couple sipdowns in for the past couple of days. I feel like i've...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “This one's quite neat! the first steep bore similarities to a greener Darjeeling's second steep. There's a smoothing out of sour, muscatel notes and a subduing of hay and malt, except this tea was...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 447 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This extraordinary and rare hand-rolled white tea originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kangaita, Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. We highly recommend this tea to black tea lovers as a great introduction to white teas since it is malty and has some familiar tasting notes that can also be found in black teas. We particularly recommend it to anyone looking for a substitute of our Royal Golden Safari. Rich, sweet, caramel notes dominate the flavor of this tea and linger long after each sip. Sweet potato, malt, fresh cream, hay, and apricot notes are also present. This tea is light and sweet.

Ingredients: Kenyan White Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

This tea is so gorgeously light! Probably too light as a first tea of the day, but I really didn’t know what to expect. I do like it for what it is, though. It smells very sweet too, like maple syrup. I think it has a chance to become one of my favorite blacks along with Golden Moon’s Sinharaja and thepuriTea’s Jasmine Golden Yunnan.

EDIT: Ha! So it’s white tea. Amazing! I never would’ve guessed. I think google should become my friend before I post my tea musings ;)

Butiki Teas

This is actually white tea! Nice that it can hold up with your black teas!

Kat_Maria

Ha ha, now that’s a tea faux pas… or something! I could’ve sworn it was black (apparently the ‘white’ in the name was not a clue to me)… Perhaps because of the steeping instructions? Either way, it’s really good :D

Butiki Teas

The leaves are pretty dark too, so its definitely understandable.

Mmmm, I’m loving this. This is definitely one of my favorite whites, if not my new favorite.

Its flavor is surprisingly robust for a white — which I guess is why it’s recommended to lovers of black tea — and is oh so creamy and sweet. I find it tastes mostly of sweet corn with a creamy mouthfeel. So good! :D

I’m not getting the caramel or malty notes so much. I used boiling water (I was hesitant about doing that for a white tea though!) and I used two teaspoon, but a bit more than 8oz of water.

It tastes like a delicate darjeeling with some of the hey notes expected of a white hanging out in the distant background. I don’t much care for darjeelings, but the similar characteristics here aren’t too intense to scare me away.

I would happily enjoy another cup, but it probably won’t be a repurchase.

Oh boy, this tea puts my cupboard at over 200 teas, and I haven’t even added all the teas from my Butiki order, and none from my Verdant order! NO NEW ORDERS for a long time…….I hope.

Backlog from yesterday. This tea is delicious. I get how it has some similar notes to black tea. I really enjoy the malty, fruity, sweet notes of caramel that I get from this tea. I was a little scared to use boiling water, but it definitely does the trick.
The resteep was also enjoyable.

I got this gorgeous sample from Terri Harplady, here on Steepster, who is so sweet and is helping me learn more about tea!!!!!!!!!

The leaves are twisted, tan, and a pretty clay mud color; like a rhino’s hide!!! So cute and aptly named!!!

The scent of the brewed tea was very intriguing. To me, it was very much like the scent of dried mulberries which I love and get at the health food store every once in a while. It also has a strong essence of honey.
The liquor of this white is a deep, very auburn color so it is definitely a different style of white!!

The flavor is very good. It has flavors of orange which is a neat surprise because I didn’t detect it in the scent. There are notes of cream and a touch of persimmon fruit.

This is a very delicious and unique white tea!!!!!

Tried a second steeping and it is just as delicious with notes of honey and caramelized sweet potato or sweet potato with marshmallows at Thanksgiving.

Flavors: Caramel, Cream, Honey, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sipdown!! (177)

Thank you Kat_Maria for the opportunity to try this tea. I am not usually one for straight teas but people view this one so positively (I am looking at you, Courtney) that I was interested to see what the hype was all about.

Now that I am tasting it, I can see why people enjoy the tea. It is malty and oh-so-full-of-flavor with delicious notes of honey sweetness. Plus, it is a white tea that can be steeped in boiling water so who doesn’t love that?

Courtney

Hehe. I love this one!

VariaTEA

I know. I was never interested in it until I saw just how much you loved it. You piqued my interest.

Amariel

Ugh, so want to try…EVERYONE IS TRYING THIS ONE NOW (and liking!)! :P

Hey I didn’t try it recently, I just dug it out of het get cupboard again haha. I’ve had it a couple times now…just need to finish off my smaller butiki amounts before I order again

This is a good example of why the world of tea is such an awesome one. This is nothing like what you think of when you imagine a white—it lives in this magical, Venn Diagram overlap sweet spot where it has elements of black tea, white tea, oolong tea, just…remarkable. A white tea with the spunky, almost smoldering but clean character of an Indian black (think second flush Darjeeling, with nuttiness)! But the body and tang of a good white (and the hay too)! And the softness and enchanting aroma of an oolong! From Kenya(I love Harney’s Kangaita OP and have been so impressed with Justea’s Kenyan Black, but generally a tea noob would associate Kenya with CTC blacks still, I reckon)! Tea never ceases to surprise me.

As Sil notes, this would make an excellent addition to one’s afternoon tea rotation, a nice option when you’re in the mood for a sparkly light Darjeeling but also a little restless, in want of something different, special.

DeliriumsFrogs

Oooooh! This sounds fantastic!

From the queue

A white tea that should be steeped with boiling water? WHAT????!?!? O.o Courtney shared this with me and these are not her instructions. These are Butiki’s instructions. There seem to be a general concensus on Steepster that Stacey knows what she’s doing, so… okay, I steeped it in boiling water, although it was very nearly physically painful to do so. It was certainly mentally painful. It goes against everything I’ve ever learned about tea and it just felt so wrong! Not wrong as in ‘oh dear, I shouldn’t do this’ but wrong as in ‘SELF! STOP! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! STAAAAHP!!!’ In spite of so many people following these intructions with great success I’m still very worried that I’m about to have a very big cup of bitterness.

It smells like a black tea and it has the colour of a black tea. How certain are we that this is actually really white? I don’t even understand the mechanisms behind this. How can a white tea behave like a black?

The aroma is mild, but it still smells like a black tea. A very high-grown one like a high-grown Ceylon, maybe. Not Darjeeling, I don’t think, it’s not grassy enough for that, but it’s got that floral touch. It’s also remarkably fruity. Something along the lines of apricots, I think. Quite sweet. OOOH! You know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of one of those oolongs with leafhoppers! Has this one had leafhoppers?

Okay, the flavour. Still not convinced that this is going to be a pleasant experience, I have to say.

It’s not bitter. HOW IS THIS NOT BITTER??? O.o I don’t get this tea. I simply do not understand one iota of it. Why is it behaving like this?

It’s actually quite sweet. Fruity-sweet again, like the aroma, bringing me back to thoughts of apricots. It’s got a fair bit of a floral touch as well, and I’m not too keen on that, but for me it’s mostly about the apricots with this tea. As it cools the floral tones get stronger, though, and I like it less.

It doesn’t taste like any white tea I’ve ever had before. If I was served a cup of this without being told what it was, I’d have guessed a high-grown Ceylon with natural notes of stone fruits (or possibly very lightly flavoured). I certainly wouldn’t have belived it was a white tea. Conundrum in a cup.

Butiki Teas

There are a number of white teas that taste rather fantastic with boiling water. To me the boiling water gives this a touch of malt. It can be brewed in 180-185F degree for 3-4 minutes as well and produces a wonderful cup. It’s my personal preference to drink this with boiled water but you might enjoy it more brewed at a lower temp.

Ysaurella

thank you for this great review Angrboda.I am very curious of this tea now.

TheKesser

Reading this note could explain why my green tea was bitter this afternoon! I think I used too hot of water. I didn’t let it steep too long, only three minutes…

Angrboda

I thought it was quite nice, once I got over the culture shock of using boiling water. I haven’t been very keen on white teas at all in recent years, generally finding them too courgette-y/cucumber-y which rather put me off. Perhaps when next I find myself in possession of one, I’ll try that with boiling water as well. I mean if I do it ‘wrong’ and it doesn’t work, I’ll get a cup I don’t much like. If I do it ‘right’ I’ll still more likely than not get a cup that I don’t much like, so there’s nothing to lose. :)

Yum. Now this is more like it. This tea smells like bread, honey, flowers, and fruit to me. The tea liquor has some nice body to it without being tannic or drying (I’m looking at you Thé Blanc Sacré). It has a beautiful creamy mouthfeel. This is definitely something I would restock.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 6 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

I smell hay, milk and some kind of apricot jam in this tea. Mmm.. I can’t wait to see how this tea tastes if I can detect so many different layers with my nose!

Sipping… I’m pleased to taste the apricot and hay first. I also find a little bit of orange that fades into a light astringency and tingling sensation on the tongue. The finish is smooth, almost minty, and light. This is a very refreshing cup that has more elements than I’ve ever tasted in a plain white tea before. It’s not my most favorite cup of white tea, but for an unflavored cup, it’s certainly lovely.