White Rhino

White Tea
Baked Bread, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Sweet Potatoes, Fruity, Sweet, Apricot, Caramel, Hay, Citrus Fruits, Cocoa, Cream, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I'm on the resteep of this one now. I'm always impressed with this tea. So much delicious flavour. I can't drink this one all the time though. I really need to have the time to sit back and enjoy...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 678 tasting notes
  • “This week is really chaotic. I’m taking a nice break now to enjoy this phenomenal tea. I love it so much! I’m not sure how well it will be received, maybe it’s just me that loves it but I really...” Read full tasting note
    butikiteas 51 tasting notes
  • “farewell you delicious tea. We WILL meet again...soon! I had the last little bit of this today in an effort to get at least a couple sipdowns in for the past couple of days. I feel like i've...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4729 tasting notes
  • “This one's quite neat! the first steep bore similarities to a greener Darjeeling's second steep. There's a smoothing out of sour, muscatel notes and a subduing of hay and malt, except this tea was...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 489 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This extraordinary and rare hand-rolled white tea originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kangaita, Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. We highly recommend this tea to black tea lovers as a great introduction to white teas since it is malty and has some familiar tasting notes that can also be found in black teas. We particularly recommend it to anyone looking for a substitute of our Royal Golden Safari. Rich, sweet, caramel notes dominate the flavor of this tea and linger long after each sip. Sweet potato, malt, fresh cream, hay, and apricot notes are also present. This tea is light and sweet.

Ingredients: Kenyan White Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

I. LOVE. This. Tea.

It brews a beautiful cup of clear amber liquid. Scents of honey, cream, malt, and fruit come wafting out of my mug. I want this scent bottled! Sipping, I’m first given the impression of slightly sour citrus fruit. It then evolves into honey and malt, followed by notes of cocoa and caramel sweetness. All of this is underscored by the suggestion of hay in the background. Wow! It’s soft and luxurious. It’s thick and heady and sweet like pudding. It’s truly wonderful. It has the characteristics of both a white tea and a black tea, and it’s everything I love about both.

The second steep is very similar. The citrus, malt and caramel qualities of the first steep are accentuated in the second. There’s a sweet potato thickness to it. The sweet flavor of hay is still present—perhaps a bit stronger. The tea liquid itself has a smooth, creamy texture. And at the end of each sip is the light airy taste of marshmallow! It’s too good. I begin to notice as it cools that the at a lower temperature, it tastes more like a white tea. The malt and thickness of the tea wane and the fruit, honey and hay flavors become more prominent. It seems lighter somehow, and sweeter. That’s really interesting.

Wow, I’m madly in love.
I tried it once after my order came in, and now I remember why I’ve been squirreling this one away! This is exactly what I wanted tonight, exactly what I needed.
Outstanding!

Paremeters:
Pre-boil water
Approx 3tsp / 10oz
First steep – 2min 30
Second steep – 3min

Flavors: Caramel, Citrus Fruits, Cocoa, Cream, Hay, Honey, Malt, Marshmallow, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Oh hey, this is really neat! Thanks so much for sharing, CrowKettle!

It’s dry and slightly toasty, kinda like genmaicha. Also really malty with honey notes. Yet somehow this isn’t as thick feeling of a tea as I would expect. So easy to drink.

Yum! I’m gonna have to feed this to my BFF, since she just texted she was bored, so she was coming over (probably to play with the cat). Such an interesting tea!

Flavors: Hay, Honey, Malt, Toasted Rice

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Courtney

I love when others enjoy this one.

OMGsrsly

:) It’s always nice when other appreciate your favourites, isn’t it?

TTBC Rd2

Brewed this tea up this morning and only got one sip before having to set it aside and run away for an appointment…but the good news is that it’s just as deliciously complex cold as it was when warm.

It’s all the things I love best out of white teas…woodsy and toasted and delightfully tasty, but for some reason it doesn’t resonate with me the way some others have. It’s a shame, but it’s going back in the box for the next person.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

So Courtney and Sil are to blame for piquing my interest in this tea, and this tea is partially to blame for my first Butiki order. This was one of the few on the wish list.

And it did not disappoint.

Everyone’s already said it but it really is the black tea drinker’s white tea. It’s not a black tea, no, but it’s so malty and dark brewing for a white. And steeping at boiling feels so weird. It’s wonderful and exciting.

YAY! i’m so glad you picked it up AND enjoyed it!

Courtney

Seconded. This one is awesome. :)

A white tea that brews and tastes like a black tea? Yep, it would seem so! Quite tasty, full body, definite notes of honey, sweet potato, caramel, and a malty finish. It sort of has it’s foot in between a white and a black tea which can be a little distracting, but a good cup none the less. I’m impressed by the depth of the flavor, it persists well after the sip. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, more so than the average black tea. Overall quite nice!

Sipdown! my virtual cupboard finally reflects my real one, and I desperatly need to drink down some of this tea before I place any more orders. This is feeling really out of control, and I really do want to be able to give the teas I’ve been given the attention they deserve.

This tea came to me from teamore—thank you! I had enough for one sample, which was all I needed, I think. It is true that it smells very much like a black once it’s brewed—I got a bit of henna in the smell (don’t ask why) and was pretty excited by the fact that it smelled fairly potent. I didn’t add anything to it, because although it smelled like a black I still treated it as I would most whites. The comparisons to a darjeeling seem apt to me, and I almost get a sharp lime-type note at the end of each sip. This becomes less pronounced as the tea cools. All in all, a good white tea, but that after-note made it so that I couldn’t really get into it. I can see why it’s really popular though, and am appreciative of the chance to try it.

Thanks again, teamore!

JustJames

a lime-like henna….. huh! not sure if that intrigues or puts me off, lol.

keychange

Haha! It didn’t work for me, but it’s really popular so you never know!

Sipdown! I still like this one. It doesn’t taste green at all, like many whites do (to me).

Courtney had been raving about this Butiki offering so she sent me a sample to try since I plan to make an order sometime soon.

So if I understand correctly, the deal with this tea is that it’s supposed to be a straight white tea which would appeal to those who are normally not fans of white tea, because it’s richer in flavour and possessing taste qualities similar to those of a good straight black.

I would agree it definitely has more flavour than your typical plain white tea (heheh), because it tastes maltier rather than light and mildly fruity-ish, which is how I’ve found most whites I’ve tried.

I wouldn’t say this has as much flavour as a black tea, but it was very good. It seemed a bit fruity to me, but also bready and I think I could taste a honey note in there, maybe raisins too? But no cocoa or caramel or anything like that. Possibly slightly floral? Ohhhh I still don’t really know what I’m talking about.

So far I steeped twice and both were flavorful.

I’m not entirely sure I NEED to include this one with my next order, because at the end of the day it’s still a white tea and I really want to try some Assam and the Black Lotus tea, so if I’m going to cut one for now this would probably be it.

I am sure we will meet again in the future…thanks for sharing one of your favorites, Courtney!

Sipdown!! (177)

Thank you Kat_Maria for the opportunity to try this tea. I am not usually one for straight teas but people view this one so positively (I am looking at you, Courtney) that I was interested to see what the hype was all about.

Now that I am tasting it, I can see why people enjoy the tea. It is malty and oh-so-full-of-flavor with delicious notes of honey sweetness. Plus, it is a white tea that can be steeped in boiling water so who doesn’t love that?

Hehe. I love this one!

VariaTEA

I know. I was never interested in it until I saw just how much you loved it. You piqued my interest.

Amariel

Ugh, so want to try…EVERYONE IS TRYING THIS ONE NOW (and liking!)! :P

Hey I didn’t try it recently, I just dug it out of het get cupboard again haha. I’ve had it a couple times now…just need to finish off my smaller butiki amounts before I order again

This is a good example of why the world of tea is such an awesome one. This is nothing like what you think of when you imagine a white—it lives in this magical, Venn Diagram overlap sweet spot where it has elements of black tea, white tea, oolong tea, just…remarkable. A white tea with the spunky, almost smoldering but clean character of an Indian black (think second flush Darjeeling, with nuttiness)! But the body and tang of a good white (and the hay too)! And the softness and enchanting aroma of an oolong! From Kenya(I love Harney’s Kangaita OP and have been so impressed with Justea’s Kenyan Black, but generally a tea noob would associate Kenya with CTC blacks still, I reckon)! Tea never ceases to surprise me.

As Sil notes, this would make an excellent addition to one’s afternoon tea rotation, a nice option when you’re in the mood for a sparkly light Darjeeling but also a little restless, in want of something different, special.

DeliriumsFrogs

Oooooh! This sounds fantastic!