White Rhino

White Tea
Baked Bread, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Sweet Potatoes, Fruity, Sweet, Apricot, Caramel, Hay, Citrus Fruits, Cocoa, Cream, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I'm on the resteep of this one now. I'm always impressed with this tea. So much delicious flavour. I can't drink this one all the time though. I really need to have the time to sit back and enjoy...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 696 tasting notes
  • “This week is really chaotic. I’m taking a nice break now to enjoy this phenomenal tea. I love it so much! I’m not sure how well it will be received, maybe it’s just me that loves it but I really...” Read full tasting note
    butikiteas 55 tasting notes
  • “farewell you delicious tea. We WILL meet again...soon! I had the last little bit of this today in an effort to get at least a couple sipdowns in for the past couple of days. I feel like i've...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5059 tasting notes
  • “This one's quite neat! the first steep bore similarities to a greener Darjeeling's second steep. There's a smoothing out of sour, muscatel notes and a subduing of hay and malt, except this tea was...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 505 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This extraordinary and rare hand-rolled white tea originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kangaita, Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. We highly recommend this tea to black tea lovers as a great introduction to white teas since it is malty and has some familiar tasting notes that can also be found in black teas. We particularly recommend it to anyone looking for a substitute of our Royal Golden Safari. Rich, sweet, caramel notes dominate the flavor of this tea and linger long after each sip. Sweet potato, malt, fresh cream, hay, and apricot notes are also present. This tea is light and sweet.

Ingredients: Kenyan White Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

I have procrastinated with this one as well. I think the reason why I don’t drink unflavoured oolongs, whites and greens as often is because I just want to sit down and enjoy them, focus on them and analyze them….Since my life is kind of crazy now, I don’t have time to do that, so these guys have been sitting on a shelf, begging for me to choose them for a while now.

I’m also extremely lazy with watching steep temps and too stingy to risk screwing up an expensive tea, so there’s that.

Had I checked the steeping guidelines on this one, I would’ve had it a lot sooner: boiling, 3 min….Really??? This is a white tea? Amazing.

It actually smells a lot like a black tea. Very malty (well, not very, but very for a white tea I guess :P) with honey. What a pleasant surprise! Now taste wise, I’m like :o . It’s so much more delicate than a black tea, but just as flavourful. Malt and sweet potato are the things that jump out at first, followed by a drizzle of honey. There’s also something that reminds me of fresh, raw, garden picked green peas in the background. What a lovely cup of tea.

I really love this. As a matter of fact, I just grabbed the bag, put it in my purse and said “You’re coming to work with me, you.” Lucky.

This one surprised me. More than anything, it smelled malty as the tea was steeping. But when I drink this there’s no malty-ness at all. It’s really sweet, kinda like fruity almost. Not what I expected but pretty good! (:
Thanks so much for the sample, kimquat!

Flavors: Fruity, Malt, Sweet

Sarsonator

MMMMM sweet fruity tea!?!??! Sounds right up my alley!

Ost

You might like it! Though like not many other notes seemed to think it was fruity. xD But to me that’s how it was haha

This is a unique white tea. It does indeed brew a bit like a red/black tea. The apricot notes are apparent from the start, and the brew comes off with a nice malty caramely kind of tone. It’s subtle, sweet and earthy. Nice and mellow.

I might be fooled by the fact that it is a white tea though and perhaps it would benefit from being steeped more like a black tea (which for me usually involves a longer steeping period and hotter temperature). The flavor was great and I can only wonder if a longer brew would have yielded more richness and complexity. I only brewed it for 45 seconds, gongfu style in a gaiwan. I didn’t check the vendor’s steeping recommendations this time around. Just brewed like I do most whites. Adding 15 seconds to each steeping, it did build in flavor and peaked around the 3rd steeping. Really nice.

Flavors: Apricot, Caramel, Hay, Malt

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 45 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Butiki Teas

This tea does hold up well being steeped like a black tea.

I. LOVE. This. Tea.

It brews a beautiful cup of clear amber liquid. Scents of honey, cream, malt, and fruit come wafting out of my mug. I want this scent bottled! Sipping, I’m first given the impression of slightly sour citrus fruit. It then evolves into honey and malt, followed by notes of cocoa and caramel sweetness. All of this is underscored by the suggestion of hay in the background. Wow! It’s soft and luxurious. It’s thick and heady and sweet like pudding. It’s truly wonderful. It has the characteristics of both a white tea and a black tea, and it’s everything I love about both.

The second steep is very similar. The citrus, malt and caramel qualities of the first steep are accentuated in the second. There’s a sweet potato thickness to it. The sweet flavor of hay is still present—perhaps a bit stronger. The tea liquid itself has a smooth, creamy texture. And at the end of each sip is the light airy taste of marshmallow! It’s too good. I begin to notice as it cools that the at a lower temperature, it tastes more like a white tea. The malt and thickness of the tea wane and the fruit, honey and hay flavors become more prominent. It seems lighter somehow, and sweeter. That’s really interesting.

Wow, I’m madly in love.
I tried it once after my order came in, and now I remember why I’ve been squirreling this one away! This is exactly what I wanted tonight, exactly what I needed.
Outstanding!

Paremeters:
Pre-boil water
Approx 3tsp / 10oz
First steep – 2min 30
Second steep – 3min

Flavors: Caramel, Citrus Fruits, Cocoa, Cream, Hay, Honey, Malt, Marshmallow, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Oh hey, this is really neat! Thanks so much for sharing, CrowKettle!

It’s dry and slightly toasty, kinda like genmaicha. Also really malty with honey notes. Yet somehow this isn’t as thick feeling of a tea as I would expect. So easy to drink.

Yum! I’m gonna have to feed this to my BFF, since she just texted she was bored, so she was coming over (probably to play with the cat). Such an interesting tea!

Flavors: Hay, Honey, Malt, Toasted Rice

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Courtney

I love when others enjoy this one.

OMGsrsly

:) It’s always nice when other appreciate your favourites, isn’t it?

TTBC Rd2

Brewed this tea up this morning and only got one sip before having to set it aside and run away for an appointment…but the good news is that it’s just as deliciously complex cold as it was when warm.

It’s all the things I love best out of white teas…woodsy and toasted and delightfully tasty, but for some reason it doesn’t resonate with me the way some others have. It’s a shame, but it’s going back in the box for the next person.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

So Courtney and Sil are to blame for piquing my interest in this tea, and this tea is partially to blame for my first Butiki order. This was one of the few on the wish list.

And it did not disappoint.

Everyone’s already said it but it really is the black tea drinker’s white tea. It’s not a black tea, no, but it’s so malty and dark brewing for a white. And steeping at boiling feels so weird. It’s wonderful and exciting.

YAY! i’m so glad you picked it up AND enjoyed it!

Courtney

Seconded. This one is awesome. :)

A white tea that brews and tastes like a black tea? Yep, it would seem so! Quite tasty, full body, definite notes of honey, sweet potato, caramel, and a malty finish. It sort of has it’s foot in between a white and a black tea which can be a little distracting, but a good cup none the less. I’m impressed by the depth of the flavor, it persists well after the sip. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, more so than the average black tea. Overall quite nice!

Sipdown! my virtual cupboard finally reflects my real one, and I desperatly need to drink down some of this tea before I place any more orders. This is feeling really out of control, and I really do want to be able to give the teas I’ve been given the attention they deserve.

This tea came to me from teamore—thank you! I had enough for one sample, which was all I needed, I think. It is true that it smells very much like a black once it’s brewed—I got a bit of henna in the smell (don’t ask why) and was pretty excited by the fact that it smelled fairly potent. I didn’t add anything to it, because although it smelled like a black I still treated it as I would most whites. The comparisons to a darjeeling seem apt to me, and I almost get a sharp lime-type note at the end of each sip. This becomes less pronounced as the tea cools. All in all, a good white tea, but that after-note made it so that I couldn’t really get into it. I can see why it’s really popular though, and am appreciative of the chance to try it.

Thanks again, teamore!

JustJames

a lime-like henna….. huh! not sure if that intrigues or puts me off, lol.

keychange

Haha! It didn’t work for me, but it’s really popular so you never know!

Sipdown! I still like this one. It doesn’t taste green at all, like many whites do (to me).