White Rhino

White Tea
Baked Bread, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Sweet Potatoes, Fruity, Sweet, Apricot, Caramel, Hay, Citrus Fruits, Cocoa, Cream, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I'm on the resteep of this one now. I'm always impressed with this tea. So much delicious flavour. I can't drink this one all the time though. I really need to have the time to sit back and enjoy...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 696 tasting notes
  • “This week is really chaotic. I’m taking a nice break now to enjoy this phenomenal tea. I love it so much! I’m not sure how well it will be received, maybe it’s just me that loves it but I really...” Read full tasting note
    butikiteas 55 tasting notes
  • “farewell you delicious tea. We WILL meet again...soon! I had the last little bit of this today in an effort to get at least a couple sipdowns in for the past couple of days. I feel like i've...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5068 tasting notes
  • “This one's quite neat! the first steep bore similarities to a greener Darjeeling's second steep. There's a smoothing out of sour, muscatel notes and a subduing of hay and malt, except this tea was...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 506 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This extraordinary and rare hand-rolled white tea originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kangaita, Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. We highly recommend this tea to black tea lovers as a great introduction to white teas since it is malty and has some familiar tasting notes that can also be found in black teas. We particularly recommend it to anyone looking for a substitute of our Royal Golden Safari. Rich, sweet, caramel notes dominate the flavor of this tea and linger long after each sip. Sweet potato, malt, fresh cream, hay, and apricot notes are also present. This tea is light and sweet.

Ingredients: Kenyan White Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

Courtney had been raving about this Butiki offering so she sent me a sample to try since I plan to make an order sometime soon.

So if I understand correctly, the deal with this tea is that it’s supposed to be a straight white tea which would appeal to those who are normally not fans of white tea, because it’s richer in flavour and possessing taste qualities similar to those of a good straight black.

I would agree it definitely has more flavour than your typical plain white tea (heheh), because it tastes maltier rather than light and mildly fruity-ish, which is how I’ve found most whites I’ve tried.

I wouldn’t say this has as much flavour as a black tea, but it was very good. It seemed a bit fruity to me, but also bready and I think I could taste a honey note in there, maybe raisins too? But no cocoa or caramel or anything like that. Possibly slightly floral? Ohhhh I still don’t really know what I’m talking about.

So far I steeped twice and both were flavorful.

I’m not entirely sure I NEED to include this one with my next order, because at the end of the day it’s still a white tea and I really want to try some Assam and the Black Lotus tea, so if I’m going to cut one for now this would probably be it.

I am sure we will meet again in the future…thanks for sharing one of your favorites, Courtney!

1965 tasting notes

Sipdown!! (177)

Thank you Kat_Maria for the opportunity to try this tea. I am not usually one for straight teas but people view this one so positively (I am looking at you, Courtney) that I was interested to see what the hype was all about.

Now that I am tasting it, I can see why people enjoy the tea. It is malty and oh-so-full-of-flavor with delicious notes of honey sweetness. Plus, it is a white tea that can be steeped in boiling water so who doesn’t love that?

Courtney

Hehe. I love this one!

VariaTEA

I know. I was never interested in it until I saw just how much you loved it. You piqued my interest.

Amariel

Ugh, so want to try…EVERYONE IS TRYING THIS ONE NOW (and liking!)! :P

Hey I didn’t try it recently, I just dug it out of het get cupboard again haha. I’ve had it a couple times now…just need to finish off my smaller butiki amounts before I order again

This is a good example of why the world of tea is such an awesome one. This is nothing like what you think of when you imagine a white—it lives in this magical, Venn Diagram overlap sweet spot where it has elements of black tea, white tea, oolong tea, just…remarkable. A white tea with the spunky, almost smoldering but clean character of an Indian black (think second flush Darjeeling, with nuttiness)! But the body and tang of a good white (and the hay too)! And the softness and enchanting aroma of an oolong! From Kenya(I love Harney’s Kangaita OP and have been so impressed with Justea’s Kenyan Black, but generally a tea noob would associate Kenya with CTC blacks still, I reckon)! Tea never ceases to surprise me.

As Sil notes, this would make an excellent addition to one’s afternoon tea rotation, a nice option when you’re in the mood for a sparkly light Darjeeling but also a little restless, in want of something different, special.

DeliriumsFrogs

Oooooh! This sounds fantastic!

From the queue

A white tea that should be steeped with boiling water? WHAT????!?!? O.o Courtney shared this with me and these are not her instructions. These are Butiki’s instructions. There seem to be a general concensus on Steepster that Stacey knows what she’s doing, so… okay, I steeped it in boiling water, although it was very nearly physically painful to do so. It was certainly mentally painful. It goes against everything I’ve ever learned about tea and it just felt so wrong! Not wrong as in ‘oh dear, I shouldn’t do this’ but wrong as in ‘SELF! STOP! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! STAAAAHP!!!’ In spite of so many people following these intructions with great success I’m still very worried that I’m about to have a very big cup of bitterness.

It smells like a black tea and it has the colour of a black tea. How certain are we that this is actually really white? I don’t even understand the mechanisms behind this. How can a white tea behave like a black?

The aroma is mild, but it still smells like a black tea. A very high-grown one like a high-grown Ceylon, maybe. Not Darjeeling, I don’t think, it’s not grassy enough for that, but it’s got that floral touch. It’s also remarkably fruity. Something along the lines of apricots, I think. Quite sweet. OOOH! You know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of one of those oolongs with leafhoppers! Has this one had leafhoppers?

Okay, the flavour. Still not convinced that this is going to be a pleasant experience, I have to say.

It’s not bitter. HOW IS THIS NOT BITTER??? O.o I don’t get this tea. I simply do not understand one iota of it. Why is it behaving like this?

It’s actually quite sweet. Fruity-sweet again, like the aroma, bringing me back to thoughts of apricots. It’s got a fair bit of a floral touch as well, and I’m not too keen on that, but for me it’s mostly about the apricots with this tea. As it cools the floral tones get stronger, though, and I like it less.

It doesn’t taste like any white tea I’ve ever had before. If I was served a cup of this without being told what it was, I’d have guessed a high-grown Ceylon with natural notes of stone fruits (or possibly very lightly flavoured). I certainly wouldn’t have belived it was a white tea. Conundrum in a cup.

Butiki Teas

There are a number of white teas that taste rather fantastic with boiling water. To me the boiling water gives this a touch of malt. It can be brewed in 180-185F degree for 3-4 minutes as well and produces a wonderful cup. It’s my personal preference to drink this with boiled water but you might enjoy it more brewed at a lower temp.

Ysaurella

thank you for this great review Angrboda.I am very curious of this tea now.

TheKesser

Reading this note could explain why my green tea was bitter this afternoon! I think I used too hot of water. I didn’t let it steep too long, only three minutes…

Angrboda

I thought it was quite nice, once I got over the culture shock of using boiling water. I haven’t been very keen on white teas at all in recent years, generally finding them too courgette-y/cucumber-y which rather put me off. Perhaps when next I find myself in possession of one, I’ll try that with boiling water as well. I mean if I do it ‘wrong’ and it doesn’t work, I’ll get a cup I don’t much like. If I do it ‘right’ I’ll still more likely than not get a cup that I don’t much like, so there’s nothing to lose. :)

Yum. Now this is more like it. This tea smells like bread, honey, flowers, and fruit to me. The tea liquor has some nice body to it without being tannic or drying (I’m looking at you Thé Blanc Sacré). It has a beautiful creamy mouthfeel. This is definitely something I would restock.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 6 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

I smell hay, milk and some kind of apricot jam in this tea. Mmm.. I can’t wait to see how this tea tastes if I can detect so many different layers with my nose!

Sipping… I’m pleased to taste the apricot and hay first. I also find a little bit of orange that fades into a light astringency and tingling sensation on the tongue. The finish is smooth, almost minty, and light. This is a very refreshing cup that has more elements than I’ve ever tasted in a plain white tea before. It’s not my most favorite cup of white tea, but for an unflavored cup, it’s certainly lovely.

This white tea is sweeter and maltier than any other I’ve tried. I didn’t know white tea could taste like this.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Thank you Courtney for this sample.
I’m not used to steeping white tea with boiling water but I always steep at the recommended instructions for first time samples.

The leaves are curly and very shiny and silver, they taste nice and floral (yes I have a bad habit of eating white tea raw).

Once steeped this tea reminds me of autumn, it’s orange/brown colour like autumn leaves and it smells a little musky yet sweet and somewhat floral and fruity. Taste wise it’s a little dry and nutty with a floral freshness and sweetness. It’s a nice medium strength white tea. Further sips reveal an almost spicy undertone. Also a little toasty.

It’s very nice, a medium strength white tea edging on being strong, which is something I personally look for in a white tea. This one is wonderful, and while white teas may not be my favourite I know I could drink this one often. Thank you for the sample Courtney.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 250 ML

Sipdown (98)! The last time I had this tea, I somehow royally screwed up and it just ended up tasting metallic. After seeing so many others’ rave reviews about the tea, I knew it must have been an error on my part, so I finally got around to steeping it up again. I’m not quite sure what I did differently this time, but it was delicious. I can see why people were so crazy about it. It has some maltiness like a black tea with some subtle caramel notes. At the same time, though, there’s a background grassiness that reminds me that this is indeed a white tea and not a black. I think it was perfect for this evening.

Oh, and I’ve been a snickerdoodle factory this past week. It started off baking them or my brother to take to college and somehow turned into baking dozens and dozens for family friends and others. Anyway, I had yet another freshly baked snickerdoodle alongside this tea. I’m no pairing expert, but I think the cinnamon and sugar from the cookie complemented the caramel notes of the tea nicely.

Overall, I really enjoyed this tea. I’m hoping to place an order with Butiki when I come off of my spending ban. When I do, I’ll definitely remember to add this one to the cart (fingers crossed that it’s available)!

2067 tasting notes

I’m so happy I included more of this in my last Butiki order! I woke up with a craving for it this afternoon (yes, woke up in the afternoon…) and put it off for most of the day because I’d set aside other teas to get through – but finally this evening a made up a cup and it’s so good!

It’s rich and creamy, and it still baffles me this is a white tea because it’s got so much in common with all my favourite blacks like the strong honey and baked bread notes. I remember mentioning this back when I first had this one, but it reminds me so strongly of Easter Buns! Sweet Bread with a sugary, creamy glaze/icing and fruit (we also got ones with currants, because I despite raisins). Mmm!

Also, I’m just realizing now that when I say “Easter Bun” I’m meaning a Hot Cross Bun, which we called Easter Buns in my house growing up because my Mom only bought them around Easter. So sorry for any confusion.

Such a lovely medley of flavours! Mmm, so many flavours!

Sadly my cup went cold before I finished it: I’m “painting” my nails – in quotations because I’m using those nail design strips for the first time. We got a small shipment in at work and I thought the price was really reasonable ($2) to give them a shot since I saw a pattern I really liked. I’m not going to lie; the appeal was totally that I immediately made a tea connection and thought it’d look super cute with my Keep Calm and Drink Tea T-Shirt. Whoops.

This isn’t my hand or anything, but this is the pattern I went with: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kYjgSj07-6k/UbOoZvLwMiI/AAAAAAAAAEo/NhPXOKKcd5k/s640/blogger-image-1947788371.jpg

They were actually so much easier to apply then I thought they’d be, and I’m really happy with how they look!

Anyway, long story short my tea went cold. Still delicious, though!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cream, Fruity, Hay, Honey, Sugar, Sweet

Cheri

those are absolutely awesome!!! I kind of want some now.

Cheri

(And by those and some, I mean those nail design thingies. but I wouldn’t mind some of that tea, too.)

Cameron B.

This tea sounds so good! I’ve had a couple of blacks tea that remind me of white teas and loved them, so I think I’d love the reverse too! :)