White Rhino

White Tea
Baked Bread, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Sweet Potatoes, Fruity, Sweet, Apricot, Caramel, Hay, Citrus Fruits, Cocoa, Cream, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I'm on the resteep of this one now. I'm always impressed with this tea. So much delicious flavour. I can't drink this one all the time though. I really need to have the time to sit back and enjoy...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 678 tasting notes
  • “This week is really chaotic. I’m taking a nice break now to enjoy this phenomenal tea. I love it so much! I’m not sure how well it will be received, maybe it’s just me that loves it but I really...” Read full tasting note
    butikiteas 53 tasting notes
  • “farewell you delicious tea. We WILL meet again...soon! I had the last little bit of this today in an effort to get at least a couple sipdowns in for the past couple of days. I feel like i've...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4830 tasting notes
  • “This one's quite neat! the first steep bore similarities to a greener Darjeeling's second steep. There's a smoothing out of sour, muscatel notes and a subduing of hay and malt, except this tea was...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 492 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This extraordinary and rare hand-rolled white tea originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kangaita, Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. We highly recommend this tea to black tea lovers as a great introduction to white teas since it is malty and has some familiar tasting notes that can also be found in black teas. We particularly recommend it to anyone looking for a substitute of our Royal Golden Safari. Rich, sweet, caramel notes dominate the flavor of this tea and linger long after each sip. Sweet potato, malt, fresh cream, hay, and apricot notes are also present. This tea is light and sweet.

Ingredients: Kenyan White Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

From the queue

A white tea that should be steeped with boiling water? WHAT????!?!? O.o Courtney shared this with me and these are not her instructions. These are Butiki’s instructions. There seem to be a general concensus on Steepster that Stacey knows what she’s doing, so… okay, I steeped it in boiling water, although it was very nearly physically painful to do so. It was certainly mentally painful. It goes against everything I’ve ever learned about tea and it just felt so wrong! Not wrong as in ‘oh dear, I shouldn’t do this’ but wrong as in ‘SELF! STOP! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! STAAAAHP!!!’ In spite of so many people following these intructions with great success I’m still very worried that I’m about to have a very big cup of bitterness.

It smells like a black tea and it has the colour of a black tea. How certain are we that this is actually really white? I don’t even understand the mechanisms behind this. How can a white tea behave like a black?

The aroma is mild, but it still smells like a black tea. A very high-grown one like a high-grown Ceylon, maybe. Not Darjeeling, I don’t think, it’s not grassy enough for that, but it’s got that floral touch. It’s also remarkably fruity. Something along the lines of apricots, I think. Quite sweet. OOOH! You know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of one of those oolongs with leafhoppers! Has this one had leafhoppers?

Okay, the flavour. Still not convinced that this is going to be a pleasant experience, I have to say.

It’s not bitter. HOW IS THIS NOT BITTER??? O.o I don’t get this tea. I simply do not understand one iota of it. Why is it behaving like this?

It’s actually quite sweet. Fruity-sweet again, like the aroma, bringing me back to thoughts of apricots. It’s got a fair bit of a floral touch as well, and I’m not too keen on that, but for me it’s mostly about the apricots with this tea. As it cools the floral tones get stronger, though, and I like it less.

It doesn’t taste like any white tea I’ve ever had before. If I was served a cup of this without being told what it was, I’d have guessed a high-grown Ceylon with natural notes of stone fruits (or possibly very lightly flavoured). I certainly wouldn’t have belived it was a white tea. Conundrum in a cup.

Butiki Teas

There are a number of white teas that taste rather fantastic with boiling water. To me the boiling water gives this a touch of malt. It can be brewed in 180-185F degree for 3-4 minutes as well and produces a wonderful cup. It’s my personal preference to drink this with boiled water but you might enjoy it more brewed at a lower temp.

Ysaurella

thank you for this great review Angrboda.I am very curious of this tea now.

TheKesser

Reading this note could explain why my green tea was bitter this afternoon! I think I used too hot of water. I didn’t let it steep too long, only three minutes…

Angrboda

I thought it was quite nice, once I got over the culture shock of using boiling water. I haven’t been very keen on white teas at all in recent years, generally finding them too courgette-y/cucumber-y which rather put me off. Perhaps when next I find myself in possession of one, I’ll try that with boiling water as well. I mean if I do it ‘wrong’ and it doesn’t work, I’ll get a cup I don’t much like. If I do it ‘right’ I’ll still more likely than not get a cup that I don’t much like, so there’s nothing to lose. :)

Yum. Now this is more like it. This tea smells like bread, honey, flowers, and fruit to me. The tea liquor has some nice body to it without being tannic or drying (I’m looking at you Thé Blanc Sacré). It has a beautiful creamy mouthfeel. This is definitely something I would restock.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 6 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

I smell hay, milk and some kind of apricot jam in this tea. Mmm.. I can’t wait to see how this tea tastes if I can detect so many different layers with my nose!

Sipping… I’m pleased to taste the apricot and hay first. I also find a little bit of orange that fades into a light astringency and tingling sensation on the tongue. The finish is smooth, almost minty, and light. This is a very refreshing cup that has more elements than I’ve ever tasted in a plain white tea before. It’s not my most favorite cup of white tea, but for an unflavored cup, it’s certainly lovely.

This white tea is sweeter and maltier than any other I’ve tried. I didn’t know white tea could taste like this.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Thank you Courtney for this sample.
I’m not used to steeping white tea with boiling water but I always steep at the recommended instructions for first time samples.

The leaves are curly and very shiny and silver, they taste nice and floral (yes I have a bad habit of eating white tea raw).

Once steeped this tea reminds me of autumn, it’s orange/brown colour like autumn leaves and it smells a little musky yet sweet and somewhat floral and fruity. Taste wise it’s a little dry and nutty with a floral freshness and sweetness. It’s a nice medium strength white tea. Further sips reveal an almost spicy undertone. Also a little toasty.

It’s very nice, a medium strength white tea edging on being strong, which is something I personally look for in a white tea. This one is wonderful, and while white teas may not be my favourite I know I could drink this one often. Thank you for the sample Courtney.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 250 ML

Because I just had Butiki earlier today, I thought I’d keep the ball rolling and try out this tea, which was sent to me by Kat_Maria. Thanks! I’m kind of doubting my sanity right now because the dry leaf smelled like pastries. It might be because I have a bunch of samples all in one place though. Second reason for doubting my sanity: I taste something grassy and metallic? I legit just went into hypochondriac mode and googled “metallic taste in mouth” to see if I’m diseased or dying. After 30 minutes, I decided, I’m probably not going to die immediately, so I’m moving on from that… for now. As the tea cooled down, I can definitely taste something sweet, but I’m pretty frazzled at the moment, so I can’t seem to pinpoint anything. Anyhow, I have a bit left of the sample, so we’ll see if things change next time!

I’m so happy I included more of this in my last Butiki order! I woke up with a craving for it this afternoon (yes, woke up in the afternoon…) and put it off for most of the day because I’d set aside other teas to get through – but finally this evening a made up a cup and it’s so good!

It’s rich and creamy, and it still baffles me this is a white tea because it’s got so much in common with all my favourite blacks like the strong honey and baked bread notes. I remember mentioning this back when I first had this one, but it reminds me so strongly of Easter Buns! Sweet Bread with a sugary, creamy glaze/icing and fruit (we also got ones with currants, because I despite raisins). Mmm!

Also, I’m just realizing now that when I say “Easter Bun” I’m meaning a Hot Cross Bun, which we called Easter Buns in my house growing up because my Mom only bought them around Easter. So sorry for any confusion.

Such a lovely medley of flavours! Mmm, so many flavours!

Sadly my cup went cold before I finished it: I’m “painting” my nails – in quotations because I’m using those nail design strips for the first time. We got a small shipment in at work and I thought the price was really reasonable ($2) to give them a shot since I saw a pattern I really liked. I’m not going to lie; the appeal was totally that I immediately made a tea connection and thought it’d look super cute with my Keep Calm and Drink Tea T-Shirt. Whoops.

This isn’t my hand or anything, but this is the pattern I went with: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kYjgSj07-6k/UbOoZvLwMiI/AAAAAAAAAEo/NhPXOKKcd5k/s640/blogger-image-1947788371.jpg

They were actually so much easier to apply then I thought they’d be, and I’m really happy with how they look!

Anyway, long story short my tea went cold. Still delicious, though!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cream, Fruity, Hay, Honey, Sugar, Sweet

Cheri

those are absolutely awesome!!! I kind of want some now.

Cheri

(And by those and some, I mean those nail design thingies. but I wouldn’t mind some of that tea, too.)

Cameron B.

This tea sounds so good! I’ve had a couple of blacks tea that remind me of white teas and loved them, so I think I’d love the reverse too! :)

I just ate some food with this super awesome hot sauce and the burning in my mouth is slowly starting to fade while I drink this tea. At first I didn’t taste anything, but flavors are slowly starting to come out. It tastes kind of green when I first sip. I think I get a little bit of a potato note, but not quite sweet potato. A little yeasty… potato bread? I get the faintist bit of apricot in the aftertaste, but there is also this taste/sensation similar to when I drink a shot of wheatgrass juice. I had another tea recently that I had that same reaction with. It is almost like the back of my tongue is puckering in a refreshing way. It is really weird trying to describe it and I’m sure I’m making it sound strange and unpleasant, which it is not.

This tea is very nice for what it is, but I lean more towards the flavored tea arena. Lean, ha! That is where my tea tastes lives and parties! I’m really happy to have tried this tea that I got I believe in a swap from Greenteafairy, so thanks for that! :)