Purple Sunset Oolong

Oolong Tea
Coriander, Honeysuckle, Lavender, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Toasted, Apricot, Honey, Plums, Berries, Flowers, Wood, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our premium Purple Sunset Oolong is skillfully hand-rolled with leaves from the purple tea varietal and is semi-oxidized. This varietal was propagated by grafting and cutting as opposed to seeding. This particular varietal is known as TRFK 306/1 and is rich in anthocyanin (a flavonoid), which pigments the leaves a purplish hue. Our Purple Sunset Oolong originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. This complex tea has plum, cinnamon, cherry, oak, and citrus notes with an apricot finish. Our Purple Sunset Oolong has a wonderful sweetness that lingers long after each sip.

Ingredients: Purple Kenyan Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 170 F

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

oooooh eeeeeee yeaaah! this is fantastically interesting! :) if you’re following me, you know my oolong thoughts.

this? this is a delicious cup of fruity, plum, cherry, sweet goodness. It’s..different.there’s a base note in this that is decidedly NOT fruity but helps to pull it all together. seriously…this is just a fun tea to be drinking right now..and so very unexpectedly different. neat!

Roswell Strange

Sounds really good!

it’s tasty! and not much like an oolong (well the variety that i don’t like anyway heh)

CrowKettle

Interesting! I opted not to get this last time but soon..ish.

Fjellrev

Me too, I wasn’t sure what it was going to be like but I’ll take the plunge next time I order.

After a breakfast of eggs Benedict over asparagus, (Yes, I make a killer hollandaise, just in case you were wondering), my friend & I sat out on the front porch, sharing a pot of this oolong. Maybe I should have used more leaf? It was kind of light, & not as sweet as I remembered, but still pleasant to drink. Its been pleasantly cool in St. Louis this morning, cool & damn, due to the crazy storms we had here last night. Perfect weather for holding a hot cup of tea in your hands, relaxing on the front porch, & sipping to your heart’s content.

Ysaurella

I want to have breakfast with you Terri ! Oolong and eggs Benedict over asparagus…mmmmm but after the storms…

Terri HarpLady

Come visit St. Louis! My son Drew is study French, so he can practice having conversation with you while I cook :)

Terri HarpLady

I still hope to eventually open a bed & breakfast here, once my kids get out of college & move out…

Ysaurella

sure I need to see St Louis…I unfortunately only visited New York in the USA…Still have a lot of other towns and places to see

Lariel of Lórien

I’ve flown into St. Louis a lot. So the air port is alright. They also have that cool arch.

mrmopar

Hollandaise recipe please….

Terri HarpLady

As you wish, MrM. I don’t really measure anything…
4 egg yolks (do whatever you want with the whites…you can make meringues!)
juice of half a lemon, or more to taste
pinch each of salt, cayenne, & white pepper
A couple of Tb of butter, Ghee, coconut oil, or other buttery type of substance…
I used this today, & it was very tasty https://store.nutiva.com/buttery-spread

Whisk that stuff together until smooth in the top of a double boiler, start heating the water underneath, & have the following things close by:
some more buttery stuff of your choice
very hot water
optional: dill, garlic granules, capers, or other flavorings you like

so the water is getting hot, you’re just gonna slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture. I don’t have any real measurements to offer…I usually add another spoon of ‘butter’, then as things start to thicken a little, add a little (like a TB) of the hot water. Keep whisking. Maybe add a little more butter, then water, until you like the thickness of it. Turn off the heat, remove from heat, taste, & make any final additions: a little more lemon, salt, etc. We like a mix of dill weed, garlic, & sometimes capers.
I think this is the recipe I originally started out with:
If you have leftovers (highly unlikely), use it as Mayo.
Also, don’t get any of this on your forehead, or you might lick your brains out!
Enjoy!

caile

Your breakfasts always sound so delicious!!
That buttery spread looks good too – I’ve never seen it before.

Thanks! :)
I think it’s pretty new, I just noticed it the other day.

Plum-like, crisp-tasting oolong with hints of cinnamon and vanilla. Full-bodied, but still maintaining a light, spring-like freshness. I enjoyed about 5 or 6 short steeps of this this morning. I love the purplish hint to this tea! :-)

You’d think by now I’d stop buying non-roasty dark oolongs. I generally don’t like them. But sometimes I just can’t turn down a catchy name.

This one has the familiar heavy apricot or honey sweetness that I dislike, but with the addition of a nutty undertone.

I’m not rating this one because the problem here is me, not the tea :p

This is plum-y!! I love it, it’s sweet and very tasty.

Sweet warming scent. Wow,,,this is a completely different Oolong.
It is very berry-tasting. Like a warm berry medley dessert with apples. It is very smooth with a note of cream.
I like this tea and the other Kenyan tea I have tried so far!!! They are really putting a different spin on tea and it’s fun!!! Very unique and delicious!!

Thank u to Terri Harplady for this sample!!

Flavors: Berries, Cream

I really enjoy this oolong. I definitely get the woody flavours as well as a deep fruit flavour. tasty!

I’m so glad Inkling was able to swap a sample of this! I had been wanting to try any of the purple teas from Butiki, but this one was particularly calling my name. Three good steeps later (and I even underleafed), I added it to my shopping list for my next Butiki order!

By the way, does anybody else have a minor panic attack when looking at the subtotal in your Butiki shopping cart knowing full well that you can’t possibly get away with spending that much on tea all at once but also knowing that you can’t possibly remove any of them from the cart because you’ll be sad (and you know you’ll inevitably end up ordering again to buy them anyway……)

People, I have a serious problem….

Inkling

So glad you enjoyed it! And I totally relate to the Butiki shopping cart panic attack…

darby

TOTALLY! I spent about a month going back and forth. Couldn’t get myself under $100 or so. I mean, what if I like something and can’t get more of it! LOL

This one came from boychik (along with many other generous samples). The leaves are quite large and dark, and they remind me of Taiwanese black leaves. I had one huge leaf that was about two inches long and a quarter of an inch in width! Dry scent is vaguely sweet and reminds me of golden raisins.

This tea has a very interesting aroma… There’s a definite spiciness that reminds me of coriander or caraway combined with lavender. This tea smells very savory to me. Hm… The flavor definitely has a touch of that spice/lavender taste to it, but thankfully it’s quite mild (I do not enjoy lavender). The main flavor for me is toasted nuts along with a mild clear sweetness reminiscent of honeysuckle nectar. I actually like this one much more than I expected, which is a shame considering the situation. Fairly tasty and unique!

Flavors: Coriander, Honeysuckle, Lavender, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Toasted

boychik

i wonder where else we would be able to get it ;(

Usually when reviewing a tea from a company I would pull out my camera and notebook and log it for review on my blog, I am making an exception with this tea since Butiki is going away :( and all of my tea logging stuff is packed up for my trip tomorrow. Since I played packing tetris with my stuff unpacking it would be a giant pain. I hope you all forgive my more freeform rambling today. I was giving a sample of this tea by my tea-bro Lion after making noises about wanting to try it, so thank you for that! The aroma of the really dark curly leaves is really quite rich and sweet, lots of fruity notes going on here with an underlying mineral note as well. I am specifically picking out plum and a hint of peach.

I decided to go gongfu for this one (probably my last until I get to PA) and as the leaves rehydrate themselves I begin to see the purple tones shine through, like the purple of a plum skin. The wet leaves have a slight fruitiness to them, but they are also kinda odd, I am picking up notes of loam and green beans, it is reminding me of something from my childhood that I can feel tickling around at the back of my head, but I cannot put my finger on it. The liquid is sweet and warm, like cooked plums and freshly baked snickerdoodles.

The taste is somewhere between the smell of the leaves and the smell of the liquid. It has a creamy mouth feel with a distinct gently spiced cooked fruit, but there is also a loamy quality and green bean brothiness to it. The finish is a bit sharp, similar to the sharpness I get with a heavily mineral noted Wuyi.

Steep two! Only time for one more before I have to go run last minute errands, including getting new shoes since mine totally fell apart. Bleh. Yum! Second steep is still quite buttery, but it is all fruity plums and mineral with a touch of spice. It is pretty mild though, I fear that as soon as I put the cup down I kinda forget about it, which is tragic. I like it, though I wish there was more there.

Thomas Edward(Toad)