Purple Sunset Oolong

Oolong Tea
Coriander, Honeysuckle, Lavender, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Toasted, Apricot, Honey, Plums, Berries, Flowers, Wood, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our premium Purple Sunset Oolong is skillfully hand-rolled with leaves from the purple tea varietal and is semi-oxidized. This varietal was propagated by grafting and cutting as opposed to seeding. This particular varietal is known as TRFK 306/1 and is rich in anthocyanin (a flavonoid), which pigments the leaves a purplish hue. Our Purple Sunset Oolong originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. This complex tea has plum, cinnamon, cherry, oak, and citrus notes with an apricot finish. Our Purple Sunset Oolong has a wonderful sweetness that lingers long after each sip.

Ingredients: Purple Kenyan Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 170 F

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

oooooh eeeeeee yeaaah! this is fantastically interesting! :) if you’re following me, you know my oolong thoughts.

this? this is a delicious cup of fruity, plum, cherry, sweet goodness. It’s..different.there’s a base note in this that is decidedly NOT fruity but helps to pull it all together. seriously…this is just a fun tea to be drinking right now..and so very unexpectedly different. neat!

Roswell Strange

Sounds really good!

it’s tasty! and not much like an oolong (well the variety that i don’t like anyway heh)

CrowKettle

Interesting! I opted not to get this last time but soon..ish.

Fjellrev

Me too, I wasn’t sure what it was going to be like but I’ll take the plunge next time I order.

After a breakfast of eggs Benedict over asparagus, (Yes, I make a killer hollandaise, just in case you were wondering), my friend & I sat out on the front porch, sharing a pot of this oolong. Maybe I should have used more leaf? It was kind of light, & not as sweet as I remembered, but still pleasant to drink. Its been pleasantly cool in St. Louis this morning, cool & damn, due to the crazy storms we had here last night. Perfect weather for holding a hot cup of tea in your hands, relaxing on the front porch, & sipping to your heart’s content.

Ysaurella

I want to have breakfast with you Terri ! Oolong and eggs Benedict over asparagus…mmmmm but after the storms…

Terri HarpLady

Come visit St. Louis! My son Drew is study French, so he can practice having conversation with you while I cook :)

Terri HarpLady

I still hope to eventually open a bed & breakfast here, once my kids get out of college & move out…

Ysaurella

sure I need to see St Louis…I unfortunately only visited New York in the USA…Still have a lot of other towns and places to see

Lariel of Lórien

I’ve flown into St. Louis a lot. So the air port is alright. They also have that cool arch.

mrmopar

Hollandaise recipe please….

Terri HarpLady

As you wish, MrM. I don’t really measure anything…
4 egg yolks (do whatever you want with the whites…you can make meringues!)
juice of half a lemon, or more to taste
pinch each of salt, cayenne, & white pepper
A couple of Tb of butter, Ghee, coconut oil, or other buttery type of substance…
I used this today, & it was very tasty https://store.nutiva.com/buttery-spread

Whisk that stuff together until smooth in the top of a double boiler, start heating the water underneath, & have the following things close by:
some more buttery stuff of your choice
very hot water
optional: dill, garlic granules, capers, or other flavorings you like

so the water is getting hot, you’re just gonna slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture. I don’t have any real measurements to offer…I usually add another spoon of ‘butter’, then as things start to thicken a little, add a little (like a TB) of the hot water. Keep whisking. Maybe add a little more butter, then water, until you like the thickness of it. Turn off the heat, remove from heat, taste, & make any final additions: a little more lemon, salt, etc. We like a mix of dill weed, garlic, & sometimes capers.
I think this is the recipe I originally started out with:
If you have leftovers (highly unlikely), use it as Mayo.
Also, don’t get any of this on your forehead, or you might lick your brains out!
Enjoy!

caile

Your breakfasts always sound so delicious!!
That buttery spread looks good too – I’ve never seen it before.

Thanks! :)
I think it’s pretty new, I just noticed it the other day.

Plum-like, crisp-tasting oolong with hints of cinnamon and vanilla. Full-bodied, but still maintaining a light, spring-like freshness. I enjoyed about 5 or 6 short steeps of this this morning. I love the purplish hint to this tea! :-)

You’d think by now I’d stop buying non-roasty dark oolongs. I generally don’t like them. But sometimes I just can’t turn down a catchy name.

This one has the familiar heavy apricot or honey sweetness that I dislike, but with the addition of a nutty undertone.

I’m not rating this one because the problem here is me, not the tea :p

This is plum-y!! I love it, it’s sweet and very tasty.

Sweet warming scent. Wow,,,this is a completely different Oolong.
It is very berry-tasting. Like a warm berry medley dessert with apples. It is very smooth with a note of cream.
I like this tea and the other Kenyan tea I have tried so far!!! They are really putting a different spin on tea and it’s fun!!! Very unique and delicious!!

Thank u to Terri Harplady for this sample!!

Flavors: Berries, Cream

I really enjoy this oolong. I definitely get the woody flavours as well as a deep fruit flavour. tasty!

I got about an ounce of this in the mail recently, because I feel like I don’t have enough oolong, and I wanted to try purple tea, so this kills two birds with one stone. I’m sampling it now, so I can buy more if it turns out I like it. It smells like licorice at first, or at least that’s what I think when I first smell it – but today everything smells like licorice, so when I smell it again, I realize that it does not in fact smell like licorice. I can’t describe it. After brewing it for the amount of time stated on the bag, it has that sweet potato scent – more of a hint than full fledged baked potato. It’s a lovely color closer to a black tea. I tend to prefer black teas, so I enjoy oolongs that are closer in flavor to black tea. It does taste sweet, or perhaps it’s just that it isn’t particularly bitter. It has an earthy taste. I don’t taste plum or anything particularly fruity, though I do like this oolong. I don’t have enough experience to give this tea a rating but I think this is one of the better oolongs that I’ve drunk.

Although purple is my favorite color, I had never heard of purple tea until Stacy recommended it for my first-ever Butiki order. This is such a lovely tea! The leaves are long and twisty and a deep plum color; they steep up to a warm purplish-brown color. I can’t quite pin down the flavor I’m getting from this one…spinach, maybe? It’s definitely more of a savory flavor than other oolongs that I’ve tried. Not something that I would drink frequently, but I will definitely finish what I have and I’m glad to have tried such a unique tea!

Sara

Purple tea?? That’s a first for me, too.

I’m so glad Inkling was able to swap a sample of this! I had been wanting to try any of the purple teas from Butiki, but this one was particularly calling my name. Three good steeps later (and I even underleafed), I added it to my shopping list for my next Butiki order!

By the way, does anybody else have a minor panic attack when looking at the subtotal in your Butiki shopping cart knowing full well that you can’t possibly get away with spending that much on tea all at once but also knowing that you can’t possibly remove any of them from the cart because you’ll be sad (and you know you’ll inevitably end up ordering again to buy them anyway……)

People, I have a serious problem….

Inkling

So glad you enjoyed it! And I totally relate to the Butiki shopping cart panic attack…

darby

TOTALLY! I spent about a month going back and forth. Couldn’t get myself under $100 or so. I mean, what if I like something and can’t get more of it! LOL