Purple Sunset Oolong

Apricot, Honey, Plums, Berries, Flowers, Wood, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our premium Purple Sunset Oolong is skillfully hand-rolled with leaves from the purple tea varietal and is semi-oxidized. This varietal was propagated by grafting and cutting as opposed to seeding. This particular varietal is known as TRFK 306/1 and is rich in anthocyanin (a flavonoid), which pigments the leaves a purplish hue. Our Purple Sunset Oolong originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. This complex tea has plum, cinnamon, cherry, oak, and citrus notes with an apricot finish. Our Purple Sunset Oolong has a wonderful sweetness that lingers long after each sip.

Ingredients: Purple Kenyan Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 170 F

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

oooooh eeeeeee yeaaah! this is fantastically interesting! :) if you’re following me, you know my oolong thoughts.

this? this is a delicious cup of fruity, plum, cherry, sweet goodness. It’s..different.there’s a base note in this that is decidedly NOT fruity but helps to pull it all together. seriously…this is just a fun tea to be drinking right now..and so very unexpectedly different. neat!

Roswell Strange

Sounds really good!

it’s tasty! and not much like an oolong (well the variety that i don’t like anyway heh)

CrowKettle

Interesting! I opted not to get this last time but soon..ish.

Fjellrev

Me too, I wasn’t sure what it was going to be like but I’ll take the plunge next time I order.

After a breakfast of eggs Benedict over asparagus, (Yes, I make a killer hollandaise, just in case you were wondering), my friend & I sat out on the front porch, sharing a pot of this oolong. Maybe I should have used more leaf? It was kind of light, & not as sweet as I remembered, but still pleasant to drink. Its been pleasantly cool in St. Louis this morning, cool & damn, due to the crazy storms we had here last night. Perfect weather for holding a hot cup of tea in your hands, relaxing on the front porch, & sipping to your heart’s content.

Ysaurella

I want to have breakfast with you Terri ! Oolong and eggs Benedict over asparagus…mmmmm but after the storms…

Terri HarpLady

Come visit St. Louis! My son Drew is study French, so he can practice having conversation with you while I cook :)

Terri HarpLady

I still hope to eventually open a bed & breakfast here, once my kids get out of college & move out…

Ysaurella

sure I need to see St Louis…I unfortunately only visited New York in the USA…Still have a lot of other towns and places to see

Lariel of Lórien

I’ve flown into St. Louis a lot. So the air port is alright. They also have that cool arch.

mrmopar

Hollandaise recipe please….

Terri HarpLady

As you wish, MrM. I don’t really measure anything…
4 egg yolks (do whatever you want with the whites…you can make meringues!)
juice of half a lemon, or more to taste
pinch each of salt, cayenne, & white pepper
A couple of Tb of butter, Ghee, coconut oil, or other buttery type of substance…
I used this today, & it was very tasty https://store.nutiva.com/buttery-spread

Whisk that stuff together until smooth in the top of a double boiler, start heating the water underneath, & have the following things close by:
some more buttery stuff of your choice
very hot water
optional: dill, garlic granules, capers, or other flavorings you like

so the water is getting hot, you’re just gonna slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture. I don’t have any real measurements to offer…I usually add another spoon of ‘butter’, then as things start to thicken a little, add a little (like a TB) of the hot water. Keep whisking. Maybe add a little more butter, then water, until you like the thickness of it. Turn off the heat, remove from heat, taste, & make any final additions: a little more lemon, salt, etc. We like a mix of dill weed, garlic, & sometimes capers.
I think this is the recipe I originally started out with:
If you have leftovers (highly unlikely), use it as Mayo.
Also, don’t get any of this on your forehead, or you might lick your brains out!
Enjoy!

caile

Your breakfasts always sound so delicious!!
That buttery spread looks good too – I’ve never seen it before.

Thanks! :)
I think it’s pretty new, I just noticed it the other day.

Plum-like, crisp-tasting oolong with hints of cinnamon and vanilla. Full-bodied, but still maintaining a light, spring-like freshness. I enjoyed about 5 or 6 short steeps of this this morning. I love the purplish hint to this tea! :-)

You’d think by now I’d stop buying non-roasty dark oolongs. I generally don’t like them. But sometimes I just can’t turn down a catchy name.

This one has the familiar heavy apricot or honey sweetness that I dislike, but with the addition of a nutty undertone.

I’m not rating this one because the problem here is me, not the tea :p

This is plum-y!! I love it, it’s sweet and very tasty.

Sweet warming scent. Wow,,,this is a completely different Oolong.
It is very berry-tasting. Like a warm berry medley dessert with apples. It is very smooth with a note of cream.
I like this tea and the other Kenyan tea I have tried so far!!! They are really putting a different spin on tea and it’s fun!!! Very unique and delicious!!

Thank u to Terri Harplady for this sample!!

Flavors: Berries, Cream

I really enjoy this oolong. I definitely get the woody flavours as well as a deep fruit flavour. tasty!

Usually when reviewing a tea from a company I would pull out my camera and notebook and log it for review on my blog, I am making an exception with this tea since Butiki is going away :( and all of my tea logging stuff is packed up for my trip tomorrow. Since I played packing tetris with my stuff unpacking it would be a giant pain. I hope you all forgive my more freeform rambling today. I was giving a sample of this tea by my tea-bro Lion after making noises about wanting to try it, so thank you for that! The aroma of the really dark curly leaves is really quite rich and sweet, lots of fruity notes going on here with an underlying mineral note as well. I am specifically picking out plum and a hint of peach.

I decided to go gongfu for this one (probably my last until I get to PA) and as the leaves rehydrate themselves I begin to see the purple tones shine through, like the purple of a plum skin. The wet leaves have a slight fruitiness to them, but they are also kinda odd, I am picking up notes of loam and green beans, it is reminding me of something from my childhood that I can feel tickling around at the back of my head, but I cannot put my finger on it. The liquid is sweet and warm, like cooked plums and freshly baked snickerdoodles.

The taste is somewhere between the smell of the leaves and the smell of the liquid. It has a creamy mouth feel with a distinct gently spiced cooked fruit, but there is also a loamy quality and green bean brothiness to it. The finish is a bit sharp, similar to the sharpness I get with a heavily mineral noted Wuyi.

Steep two! Only time for one more before I have to go run last minute errands, including getting new shoes since mine totally fell apart. Bleh. Yum! Second steep is still quite buttery, but it is all fruity plums and mineral with a touch of spice. It is pretty mild though, I fear that as soon as I put the cup down I kinda forget about it, which is tragic. I like it, though I wish there was more there.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

I like this one

Thank you Sarsonator for this sample. This is good stuff. I was just about to add sugar to it when something made me change my mind. It doesn’t need it. It had definite notes of honey, plums, and apricots. It was very tasty. I did not notice any discernible fall off of flavor even in the sixth steeping. It was mildly strong but not overpowering. I definitely noticed an unusual effect from the tea, I was slightly buzzed but not tea drunk. This was very nice. This is a tea that has some Qi to it, many don’t.

I brewed this six times in a 125ml Gaiwan with 175 degree water and 4g leaf. I brewed it for 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, and 1 min. There was no need for lengthy steepings. If I hadn’t been planning on more tea later I might have steeped it a couple more times. The spent leaves had a discernible aroma that I would describe as honey like.

Flavors: Apricot, Honey, Plums

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 125 ML
Sarsonator

Glad you liked this one, A! :)

mrmopar

Allan you should try the 1989 Suncha blend and the 2009 Banchang from Butiki both are excellent.

Sarsonator

OMG mrmo! You just reminded me that I haven’t tried mine yet!

More dark, twisty leaves! I have to say I do enjoy an oolong with rolled leaves just because it’s fun to watch them unfurl. It’s like watching a time lapse video of a plant growing :) The aroma was not very strong, but the leaves brewed up an orange-brown color of decent strength. The taste didn’t blow my mind. It was prune-ish, without being nearly as sweet as an actual prune, although it was somewhat sweet. I also thought I picked up an oak note in there. I feel like I might not be being quite fair with this oolong because I just recently tried Butiki’s oriental beauty, which was completely amazing! Now I compare all fruity oolongs to that one and the purple sunset just isn’t dynamic and flavorful.

Flavors: Plums