Purple Sunset Oolong

Plums, Berries, Flowers, Wood, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our premium Purple Sunset Oolong is skillfully hand-rolled with leaves from the purple tea varietal and is semi-oxidized. This varietal was propagated by grafting and cutting as opposed to seeding. This particular varietal is known as TRFK 306/1 and is rich in anthocyanin (a flavonoid), which pigments the leaves a purplish hue. Our Purple Sunset Oolong originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. This complex tea has plum, cinnamon, cherry, oak, and citrus notes with an apricot finish. Our Purple Sunset Oolong has a wonderful sweetness that lingers long after each sip.

Ingredients: Purple Kenyan Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 170 F

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

oooooh eeeeeee yeaaah! this is fantastically interesting! :) if you’re following me, you know my oolong thoughts.

this? this is a delicious cup of fruity, plum, cherry, sweet goodness. It’s..different.there’s a base note in this that is decidedly NOT fruity but helps to pull it all together. seriously…this is just a fun tea to be drinking right now..and so very unexpectedly different. neat!

Roswell Strange

Sounds really good!

it’s tasty! and not much like an oolong (well the variety that i don’t like anyway heh)

CrowKettle

Interesting! I opted not to get this last time but soon..ish.

Fjellrev

Me too, I wasn’t sure what it was going to be like but I’ll take the plunge next time I order.

I really enjoyed drinking this, but don’t really have much in the way of comments at this time, as I was teaching while I sipped it & didn’t take any notes. Gratefully, I have enough to try it several more times, & hopefully I’ll have more to say next time!

cryptickoi

I’m looking forward to trying that tea..

Ysaurella

would you recommend it as a nice Oolong

Ysaurella – it’s a fruitier sort of oolong if i remember right…not green, not roasty…

Terri HarpLady

yeah, as an oolong it is very different from the ones I’m used to. So I wouldn’t consider it characteristic of oolongs.
I would recommend it as a nice tea :)

Ysaurella, if you’re interested in trying out some oolongs, I can put together a nice varied box for you, if you like.

Amariel

Hmmm, the Kenyan teas seem to be gaining popularity. I should consider trying some. I wonder if Stacy has thought of putting together a Kenyan tea sampler (assuming she has not and I haven’t missed anything).

Plum-like, crisp-tasting oolong with hints of cinnamon and vanilla. Full-bodied, but still maintaining a light, spring-like freshness. I enjoyed about 5 or 6 short steeps of this this morning. I love the purplish hint to this tea! :-)

You’d think by now I’d stop buying non-roasty dark oolongs. I generally don’t like them. But sometimes I just can’t turn down a catchy name.

This one has the familiar heavy apricot or honey sweetness that I dislike, but with the addition of a nutty undertone.

I’m not rating this one because the problem here is me, not the tea :p

This is plum-y!! I love it, it’s sweet and very tasty.

Sweet warming scent. Wow,,,this is a completely different Oolong.
It is very berry-tasting. Like a warm berry medley dessert with apples. It is very smooth with a note of cream.
I like this tea and the other Kenyan tea I have tried so far!!! They are really putting a different spin on tea and it’s fun!!! Very unique and delicious!!

Thank u to Terri Harplady for this sample!!

Flavors: Berries, Cream

I really enjoy this oolong. I definitely get the woody flavours as well as a deep fruit flavour. tasty!

More dark, twisty leaves! I have to say I do enjoy an oolong with rolled leaves just because it’s fun to watch them unfurl. It’s like watching a time lapse video of a plant growing :) The aroma was not very strong, but the leaves brewed up an orange-brown color of decent strength. The taste didn’t blow my mind. It was prune-ish, without being nearly as sweet as an actual prune, although it was somewhat sweet. I also thought I picked up an oak note in there. I feel like I might not be being quite fair with this oolong because I just recently tried Butiki’s oriental beauty, which was completely amazing! Now I compare all fruity oolongs to that one and the purple sunset just isn’t dynamic and flavorful.

Flavors: Plums

Another one that I’ve been meaning to try but just never got around to it. I love it because it is very different: there’s some nice blueberry notes , with a big splash of cream and some oak notes as well. I love the fruitiness of this cup, because although it does taste like a lot of different fruit as the sip progresses, it’s not too intense, and the flavours develop within the sip as opposed to being like “BAM! I’M A SUPER OBVIOUS (place fruit flavour of your choice here) TEA, WHADDUP!”.

I just re read the description on Stacy’s website and nowhere does she mention blueberry notes. Lol. Maybe my taste buds are weird, but those blueberry notes are undeniable. As it cools down, they fade away, and are replaced with stonefruit flavours.

I think this one came from scheherazade but not sure, anyway thanks to whoever had the big idea to share this tea with me.
It’s a very buttery and fruity Oolong with detectable notes of plums, honey and apricot.
A note of roastiness is present as well, on aftertaste. Berries, maybe but not heavy to me.

Very lovely, very Oolong-y so very for me ! :)

TheTeaFairy

Oh, I haven’t tried this one, maybe it’s so very for me also ;-)

Ysaurella

I’m pretty sure it would be very for you yes :)