Purple Sunset Oolong

Oolong Tea
Coriander, Honeysuckle, Lavender, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Toasted, Apricot, Honey, Plums, Berries, Flowers, Wood, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our premium Purple Sunset Oolong is skillfully hand-rolled with leaves from the purple tea varietal and is semi-oxidized. This varietal was propagated by grafting and cutting as opposed to seeding. This particular varietal is known as TRFK 306/1 and is rich in anthocyanin (a flavonoid), which pigments the leaves a purplish hue. Our Purple Sunset Oolong originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. This complex tea has plum, cinnamon, cherry, oak, and citrus notes with an apricot finish. Our Purple Sunset Oolong has a wonderful sweetness that lingers long after each sip.

Ingredients: Purple Kenyan Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 170 F

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

This one came from boychik (along with many other generous samples). The leaves are quite large and dark, and they remind me of Taiwanese black leaves. I had one huge leaf that was about two inches long and a quarter of an inch in width! Dry scent is vaguely sweet and reminds me of golden raisins.

This tea has a very interesting aroma… There’s a definite spiciness that reminds me of coriander or caraway combined with lavender. This tea smells very savory to me. Hm… The flavor definitely has a touch of that spice/lavender taste to it, but thankfully it’s quite mild (I do not enjoy lavender). The main flavor for me is toasted nuts along with a mild clear sweetness reminiscent of honeysuckle nectar. I actually like this one much more than I expected, which is a shame considering the situation. Fairly tasty and unique!

Flavors: Coriander, Honeysuckle, Lavender, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Toasted

boychik

i wonder where else we would be able to get it ;(

Usually when reviewing a tea from a company I would pull out my camera and notebook and log it for review on my blog, I am making an exception with this tea since Butiki is going away :( and all of my tea logging stuff is packed up for my trip tomorrow. Since I played packing tetris with my stuff unpacking it would be a giant pain. I hope you all forgive my more freeform rambling today. I was giving a sample of this tea by my tea-bro Lion after making noises about wanting to try it, so thank you for that! The aroma of the really dark curly leaves is really quite rich and sweet, lots of fruity notes going on here with an underlying mineral note as well. I am specifically picking out plum and a hint of peach.

I decided to go gongfu for this one (probably my last until I get to PA) and as the leaves rehydrate themselves I begin to see the purple tones shine through, like the purple of a plum skin. The wet leaves have a slight fruitiness to them, but they are also kinda odd, I am picking up notes of loam and green beans, it is reminding me of something from my childhood that I can feel tickling around at the back of my head, but I cannot put my finger on it. The liquid is sweet and warm, like cooked plums and freshly baked snickerdoodles.

The taste is somewhere between the smell of the leaves and the smell of the liquid. It has a creamy mouth feel with a distinct gently spiced cooked fruit, but there is also a loamy quality and green bean brothiness to it. The finish is a bit sharp, similar to the sharpness I get with a heavily mineral noted Wuyi.

Steep two! Only time for one more before I have to go run last minute errands, including getting new shoes since mine totally fell apart. Bleh. Yum! Second steep is still quite buttery, but it is all fruity plums and mineral with a touch of spice. It is pretty mild though, I fear that as soon as I put the cup down I kinda forget about it, which is tragic. I like it, though I wish there was more there.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

I like this one

Thank you Sarsonator for this sample. This is good stuff. I was just about to add sugar to it when something made me change my mind. It doesn’t need it. It had definite notes of honey, plums, and apricots. It was very tasty. I did not notice any discernible fall off of flavor even in the sixth steeping. It was mildly strong but not overpowering. I definitely noticed an unusual effect from the tea, I was slightly buzzed but not tea drunk. This was very nice. This is a tea that has some Qi to it, many don’t.

I brewed this six times in a 125ml Gaiwan with 175 degree water and 4g leaf. I brewed it for 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, and 1 min. There was no need for lengthy steepings. If I hadn’t been planning on more tea later I might have steeped it a couple more times. The spent leaves had a discernible aroma that I would describe as honey like.

Flavors: Apricot, Honey, Plums

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 125 ML
Sarsonator

Glad you liked this one, A! :)

mrmopar

Allan you should try the 1989 Suncha blend and the 2009 Banchang from Butiki both are excellent.

Sarsonator

OMG mrmo! You just reminded me that I haven’t tried mine yet!

More dark, twisty leaves! I have to say I do enjoy an oolong with rolled leaves just because it’s fun to watch them unfurl. It’s like watching a time lapse video of a plant growing :) The aroma was not very strong, but the leaves brewed up an orange-brown color of decent strength. The taste didn’t blow my mind. It was prune-ish, without being nearly as sweet as an actual prune, although it was somewhat sweet. I also thought I picked up an oak note in there. I feel like I might not be being quite fair with this oolong because I just recently tried Butiki’s oriental beauty, which was completely amazing! Now I compare all fruity oolongs to that one and the purple sunset just isn’t dynamic and flavorful.

Flavors: Plums

Another one that I’ve been meaning to try but just never got around to it. I love it because it is very different: there’s some nice blueberry notes , with a big splash of cream and some oak notes as well. I love the fruitiness of this cup, because although it does taste like a lot of different fruit as the sip progresses, it’s not too intense, and the flavours develop within the sip as opposed to being like “BAM! I’M A SUPER OBVIOUS (place fruit flavour of your choice here) TEA, WHADDUP!”.

I just re read the description on Stacy’s website and nowhere does she mention blueberry notes. Lol. Maybe my taste buds are weird, but those blueberry notes are undeniable. As it cools down, they fade away, and are replaced with stonefruit flavours.

I think this one came from scheherazade but not sure, anyway thanks to whoever had the big idea to share this tea with me.
It’s a very buttery and fruity Oolong with detectable notes of plums, honey and apricot.
A note of roastiness is present as well, on aftertaste. Berries, maybe but not heavy to me.

Very lovely, very Oolong-y so very for me ! :)

TheTeaFairy

Oh, I haven’t tried this one, maybe it’s so very for me also ;-)

Ysaurella

I’m pretty sure it would be very for you yes :)

I used the brewing method that Lion Repshire mentioned in his tasting notes for my last sample of this:

“2.5g per 100ml for 45 seconds at 170F. Add 15 seconds to repeated infusions.”

My “2.5g per 100ml” ended up a little more like “maybe a bit more than a teaspoon or 3g according to my scales that only work in full grams per teacup that is probably around 200ml I guess”, but the brewing was a lot of fun and definitely brought out some much fruitier notes. Fun!

This tea is a surprise gift from TeaTiff – thank you.
I prepared it according to Butiki parameters
170F 1 1/2tsp 8oz 3min
the tea was pale yellow purple tinted color.. Smells like caramel and fresh plum, berries.
This tea is very nice and smooth. Kinda unusual for oolong cause i didnt noticed any vegetal or floral notes. i dont really like oolong with strong floral notes. Some sweetness lingering. Overall its a delicate tea. As it cooled I’ve noticed some slight spice and even cool mint. this tea is very interesting. I’m so happy that i had an opportunity to try this tea. Thank you so much TeaTiff .

This tea is an enigma. The leaves are purple from anthocyanins, Butiki calls it an oolong, and while the leaves are shaped like oolong, the brewing recommendation is 170F. That’s considerably lower than usual for an oolong, almost as low temperature as some delicate green teas. I can say from experience that brewing it any warmer than this does make some bitterness emerge. The liquor color reminds me of plum wine, mostly peach or a subtle orange from the meat of the fruit, but with a slight rosy purple tinge from the dark purple flesh. This tea does not brew purple, but it is ever so slightly more pink or violet tinged than a usual oolong tea. The leaves are certainly a deep eggplant color.

The flavor seems plum as well, with subtle lingering notes of tangy red berries like raspberry and floral overtones. There’s an undertone of wood and green bean like you might expect from some Chinese green teas, but it is subtle and secondary to the sweet flavors. There’s a very subtle hint of cinnamon if you let the tea cool a bit.

Unfortunately, the taste overall is not quite as clean as it could be. It leaves a bit of a dry feeling in the mouth, though if you brew it lightly it isn’t overpowering.

EDIT: I have taken some more time getting to know this tea and developing a proper gongfu brewing method for it. It took a bit of experimenting, but I’ve found a good formula to be 2.5g per 100ml for 45 seconds at 170F. Add 15 seconds to repeated infusions. Going by this method, I was able to get MUCH fruitier and more floral notes out of this tea, barely any of the vegetal flavor. The sweet and mild woodiness was still there, reminding me of rooibos or honeybush. I’ve raised my rating of this tea quite a bit since the initial review because a lot of really unique and nice qualities have emerged since I figured out a good gongfu method. I would definitely recommend this tea to any tea enthusiast, as it is unique to try this purple-leafed tea. It really helps you explore the world of tea. My only qualm is that the ending notes of flavor just aren’t all that clean. They’re a bit dark, earthy and dry. It’s not a bad thing, per se, but not terribly common in high quality teas. To me a quality tea has a clean finish. Still, the front end flavors of this one are so lush that I find myself coming back for more.

Flavors: Berries, Flowers, Plums, Wood

170 °F / 76 °C 0 min, 45 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Memily

These brewing instructions are really great, thank you! I’ll be trying it out with the last I have of this tea.

Lion

I hope it turns out well for you! :3

Sometimes you don’t love a tea; and that’s ok…

Thanks 221tea for sharing this one; even though I’m not really feeling it I’m glad you did because I’d likely have added it to my order otherwise and then been disappointed. So if nothing else you’ve saved me money!

Gah! It’s such a shame; Stacy makes this sound so good but it left this really weird dry feeling in my mouth that I couldn’t get rid of and I didn’t get any of the yummy fruit notes that Stacy describes. I could taste the oak though and that’s a flavour I don’t really think is too common among teas (or at least not the ones I usually drink) so it was an interesting switch up, I guess.

I have one more cup, so maybe my mind’ll be changed…

At the very least, this is really pretty to look at!