Doke Rolling Thunder

Oolong Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Molasses, Oats, Roasted nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “eesh first tasting note lol I hate that haha. Brewed this one up alongside pumpkin milkshake. I am not generally a fan of oolongs, so i only ordered a small quantity of this one to try it out. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5079 tasting notes
  • “This is good! I nearly thought it was a white tea due to the light flavour and the low steep temp, but... oolong it is! It's a very nice one too. I'm on my second steep. I like it but not for...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “The second of the Doke teas I brought to work this week. For some reason best known only to me, I tend not to drink oolongs at home. I guess because in the morning I drink black tea, and then in...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1031 tasting notes
  • “For some reason I was just really set on ordering this tea! I don't know if it was the name or what, but I had to have it. And it was really inexpensive, so that's always a good motivator! The...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 611 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Doke Rolling Thunder originates from the organic Doke Tea Estate in Bihar, Northern India. This AA graded oolong is hand-picked and utilizes the Chinese varietal. The Doke Tea Estate uses profits from the sale of all Doke teas for the betterment of the tea garden workers, children, and families. A high percentage of silver tips can be found in this tea. Rich apricot and sweet almond notes are prominent, while tobacco and jasmine notes are somewhat lighter. This tea is sweet and creamy with a heavy mouth feel and a touch of malt.

Ingredients: Indian Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 170 F

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

eesh first tasting note lol I hate that haha. Brewed this one up alongside pumpkin milkshake. I am not generally a fan of oolongs, so i only ordered a small quantity of this one to try it out. I have a mini mission to try all of stacy’s teas and so far, i’m doing pretty well haha. I don’t love this as much as i ended up liking the sparrow oolong i picked up from her but this is pretty tasty. It’s on the lighter side of things, with a sweetness that comes through while you drink it. mmm quite liking this one! thanks stacy!

This is good! I nearly thought it was a white tea due to the light flavour and the low steep temp, but… oolong it is!

It’s a very nice one too. I’m on my second steep. I like it but not for all the time. I’m not very good at describing this – it’s so mild, but sweet and fruity. I smell apricot.

The second of the Doke teas I brought to work this week. For some reason best known only to me, I tend not to drink oolongs at home. I guess because in the morning I drink black tea, and then in the evening I’m usually looking for a herbal or rooibos blend before bed. I’m at work the rest of the time, or at home and completely exhausted.

So anyway. I’ve been meaning to try this one, and work seemed to be the best place to achieve that. I followed the recommended parameters, and gave 2 tsp of leaf 4 minutes in water cooled to about 170. The liquor is golden yellow, and has very little aroma.

It’s similarly light in flavour. The first sip seemed very delicate to my tastes, and I couldn’t actually detect that much other than a vague sweetness. Successive sips bring out a gentle apricot note, maybe a tiny touch of raisin. Burnt sugar very slightly. On the whole, though, I’m surprised by how mild this one actually is. It reminds me more of a white tea than an oolong. It’s very smooth, though, with no bitterness or astringency, so I might try slightly hotter water or a slightly longer brew time to try and coax a little more strength into my next cup.

170 °F / 76 °C 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

For some reason I was just really set on ordering this tea! I don’t know if it was the name or what, but I had to have it. And it was really inexpensive, so that’s always a good motivator! The leaves are quite beautiful – they’re long and thin. There are large twisted leaves that are almost black, and then there are also silver tips which are smaller and thinner. I didn’t get much of a dry scent from this tea, just a vague sweetness and a bit of hay perhaps.

The brewed aroma, however, was very present! Definite dark, tart dried fruit notes, perhaps raisin or prune with some tart cherry. I also get a strong molasses scent – but it’s closer to black strap molasses, you know, the really strong stuff. Yum, the first thing I taste is molasses too, mixed with a bit of burnt sugar. It’s definitely a milder molasses, and super delicious! I also get the lovely dark, tart dried fruit note from the aroma. This tea just seems to be a lot of my favorite flavors from dark oolongs, all mixed together! As the sip progresses, I start to get a slightly creamy toasted nut flavor that really lightens it up. And behind it all, there’s that mellow autumn leafiness that I’ve found in every oxidized oolong I’ve had so far.

Really, a very lovely tea! My only comment is that as this tea cools, the molasses and fruit flavors start to wane in favor of the autumn leaf, and a little bitterness creeps up. So be sure to drink it hot. :)

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Molasses, Oats, Roasted nuts

Found this in a stash I took to work to try. Initial scent of the dry leaf was very Darjeelingy. I suspect my temp was a bit too high for this but I didn’t have a way to measure at work. To me, this tasted very much like a Darj as well. Dry, bit of muscatel notes, hint of sweetness and light fruit. It was a little bitter though and that’s why I suspect my water was too hot. I wouldn’t turn this down but I haven’t decided yet if I need to order some to have on hand.

DeliriumsFrogs is the best friend a girl could want—she sent me a care package loaded with goodies (import chocolate bars!!), including this tea, just because she noticed I was curious about it. :D She is a master empath and I love her.

It doesn’t surprise me one bit this is a Butiki offering—it’s subtly beautiful and quite unusual. You know right away it’s not a black tea—it brews up a gorgeous bright light orange hue—but something about it tends to make one think of certain special Darjeelings without actually tasting just like one. There’s this nutty, almost savory yet also still sweet quality to it that reminds me a lot of some of the best green teas, but a floral note too that again, brings to mind the muscatel wonder of a Darjeeling without actually being that note precisely. And amazingly, there is in fact a tobacco note—not smoke, mind you, but unlit tobacco. And yet there’s nothing really exactly woody or grassy here. The body is marvelously silky, and there’s a cleanness to the end of the sip I quite enjoy.

The dry tobacco’s what sets this apart most, I think, and it works wonderfully with the floral and nutty elements, and especially the silkiness. This isn’t a tea to drink while distracted—it’s got a lot of unusual stuff going on, and deserves full attention. It’s an experience more than a blank comfort, if that makes sense; it reminds me of some of the perfumes I’ve sampled recently that are complex and special, more than mere adornment. And yet it’s not hard to drink at all, not “avant garde”. I feel lucky to have this chance to experience it.

Sami Kelsh

This sounds magnificent. Truly magnificent. swoons

DeliriumsFrogs

I feel exactly like you; it’s a tea that deserves your full attention. I loved reading your note, and you hit on things I noticed, but couldn’t put my finger on (you are SOOOO great for that. all the time. tea genius, you.)

I’ve been drinking Butiki exclusively for days, and it’s been lovely—-ever since my order arrived, I’ve just wanted to slowly taste everything, taking my time with each tea.
Today, I chose Rolling Thunder, because I sure do love me an Oolong. :)

Oh, hello aroma! This was floral, but jammy—I didn’t want to take my nose out of my infuser basket, actually, but eventually I was able to pull myself away.
I love how the initial taste of currants and soft spice (soft!…hanging out way in the back, but that’s good!) transforms into a bright, citrus finish—it’s so refreshing and makes me want to just keep sipping.
I found it slightly astringent, but in an appealing way, so as to leave a hint of sweetness on the back of my tongue (lovely!).
This tea is complex and layered—-so fun to drink!

Balcklog/sipdown…I had this a few days ago, thanks to Cavocorax and I do seem to remember liking it. It was light, but has some sweet notes to it, but I’m afraid I don’t remember exactly. I only had enough for one serving, and I made two steeps of this for work.

Like I said, it was pleasant and tasty enough, but I can’t recall specifics about the taste.