Crimson Horizon

Asparagus, Baked Bread, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas

• “Luckily I remembered as I was steeping this how bitter it got at only 1:30 of steeping the first time I made it. I was able to yank the steeper out about 1:15 in and I'm glad I did, since this had...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 765 tasting notes
  • “Woah. This tea doesn't taste like what I expected it to. It looks like a CTC Assam, but does not taste like it. Definitely bold. Needed some cream and honey. I like it, but I don't think it will be...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 357 tasting notes
  • “This one was really good. I got the bready flavors without any problem. I took it on my recent trip to Vegas and it steeped up very nicely in subpar temperature water in the restaurant. Now I need...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 424 tasting notes
  • “This is, in my opinion, a nice breakfast tea. Sure, it's all cut up into teeny tiny pieces, which really resemble course coffee grounds and have a spicy aroma. But for making a pot of tea to enjoy...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2479 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Crimson Horizon originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. This premium CTC (cut tear curl) has burned chocolate, nutty, mahogany, baked bread, and light bergamot notes. Our Crimson Horizon CTC is far more complex than most CTCs and has little to no astringency. This tea makes an excellent breakfast tea.

Ingredients: Kenyan Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 1 minute 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Luckily I remembered as I was steeping this how bitter it got at only 1:30 of steeping the first time I made it. I was able to yank the steeper out about 1:15 in and I’m glad I did, since this had already turned super dark after it seemed like the leaves barely got wet.

I meant to try it without additives but the opaqueness of the cup intimidated me into adding creamer from the beginning. It turned into a lovely tamed tea once the creamer was added but I’m thinking my palate might not be able to handle it any other way.

I take most of my breakfast teas with milk and sugar anyway so this will fit in the rotation until I sip it down. It certainly was the jolt I needed to get into schoolwork this morning!

Boiling 1 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Woah. This tea doesn’t taste like what I expected it to. It looks like a CTC Assam, but does not taste like it. Definitely bold. Needed some cream and honey. I like it, but I don’t think it will be a reorder. I think I over steeped it, though, and CTCs are kind of whiny about over steeping. I’ll add another note once I do the parameters as Stacy suggested.

wonder if i picked this one up haha

TastyBrew

If you didn’t, I can send you some next go round.

looks like i didn’t in checking my invoice, so i’d love a cup or two to try

TastyBrew

Cool. I’l remember what it is this time :-)

Terri HarpLady

I’ve never seen this one…

Butiki Teas

TastyBrew-I’ve played around with the steeping parameters on this one and I find 1 level tsp around 190F or slightly less for no more than a minute produces an amazing complex cup with no astringency. If you have a chance, try reducing the temperature. Its really lovely.

TastyBrew

Thanks Stacy! I’ll try that tomorrow for my morning cup. I think I’ve reached my saturation point for caffeine this morning :-)

Butiki Teas

TastyBrew-Haha. I definitely know that feeling. :)

This one was really good. I got the bready flavors without any problem. I took it on my recent trip to Vegas and it steeped up very nicely in subpar temperature water in the restaurant. Now I need to try it in more controlled conditions! :)

Yvonne

Bready? Hmm, odd!

This is, in my opinion, a nice breakfast tea. Sure, it’s all cut up into teeny tiny pieces, which really resemble course coffee grounds and have a spicy aroma. But for making a pot of tea to enjoy with breakfast, it’s a no-brainer, & it steeps up fast! The cup is nicely bold, malty, & has some interesting flavors that I will have to pay more attention to next time.

I woke up with a headache this morning, and knew I’d want a strong breakfast tea to help sort me out. This one came to mind — a sample I requested with my latest Butiki order. I don’t drink all that many CTC teas now, but they do have a place in my stash for days like this. Unsurprisingly, this one stands up to the pack easily.

It’s really strong, bold, black tea. I gave it the 1.5 minutes recommended, and added a generous splash of milk. It’s relatively sweet and malty, and I’m picking up a few yeasty, bread-like notes. It’s just the kind of no-nonsense tea I can appreciate on a morning, perfect for unashamed quaffing. I’ll definitely be adding a bag of this to my next order, to keep in reserve for days just like this one! Another excellent Butiki tea.

I love bold, breakfast black teas. The kind that don’t have fancy descriptions and a line of connoisseurs lining up to sample them and give their two cents. CTC teas usually hit the mark here. This one certainly is bold, but there’s something funky going on. I think it almost tastes like someone boiled asparagus in the broth. I like asparagus just fine, and I certainly expect it in a green tea, but in my simple hearty black teas. . .eh, not so much. I added some milk and the asparagus flavor only got stronger. Now it’s like cream of asparagus soup! Far out man!

Stephanie

LOL whoa

This is very strong! I had it in the afternoon today, but I’ll be drinking the rest of my stash as a breakfast tea. I’m getting a lot of what I think might be best described as oaky notes, and I’m also picking up on that unexpected vegetal note others have mentioned. While it’s not a dealbreaker it is something I could do without in a black tea. Not bad, but I definitely prefer Butiki’s Irish Breakfast as far as bold morning teas go.

Quite bold, but still drinkable without additions. I think I prefer the Grandpa’s Anytime Tea as a morning CTC, though. This one’s a less bread-y, and I seem to enjoy that flavour in my breakfast teas. It’s ‘brighter’ than Grandpa’s Anytime, if that makes any sense.

Something tasted a bit… green, or something. Like a hint of some savoury vegetable. That was rather unexpected.

I brewed this at a bit below-boiling for about a minute and a half, and didn’t get any astringency at all. Pretty impressive.

I got a nice sample of this from Jennkay Thanks!

I was extremely curious about a “premium” CTC tea…and on a quest to Try All the Butikis!

This was a very nice bold malty breakfast tea. I enjoy the flavor, but I only really get the one flavor note from it. I’m ok with that though, since that one single flavor is so nice! I will have no problem at all finishing the sample but I doubt it’ll be a re-buy for me. So many other nice black teas out there, even others from Butiki!

Thanks Kat_Maria for letting me try out this tea! I had this tea in the morning and it was a perfect morning kind of tea. Nice and bold, malty goodness that CTCs usually offer. I’m seeing some other reviewers mentioning asparagus? That’s odd, and I don’t recall tasting any of that in my cup, but I do have more of the sample left, so I will try to see if I detect it the next time around.