Crimson Horizon

Asparagus, Baked Bread, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Luckily I remembered as I was steeping this how bitter it got at only 1:30 of steeping the first time I made it. I was able to yank the steeper out about 1:15 in and I'm glad I did, since this had...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Woah. This tea doesn't taste like what I expected it to. It looks like a CTC Assam, but does not taste like it. Definitely bold. Needed some cream and honey. I like it, but I don't think it will be...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “This one was really good. I got the bready flavors without any problem. I took it on my recent trip to Vegas and it steeped up very nicely in subpar temperature water in the restaurant. Now I need...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 520 tasting notes
  • “This is, in my opinion, a nice breakfast tea. Sure, it's all cut up into teeny tiny pieces, which really resemble course coffee grounds and have a spicy aroma. But for making a pot of tea to enjoy...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2951 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Crimson Horizon originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. This premium CTC (cut tear curl) has burned chocolate, nutty, mahogany, baked bread, and light bergamot notes. Our Crimson Horizon CTC is far more complex than most CTCs and has little to no astringency. This tea makes an excellent breakfast tea.

Ingredients: Kenyan Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 1 minute 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Luckily I remembered as I was steeping this how bitter it got at only 1:30 of steeping the first time I made it. I was able to yank the steeper out about 1:15 in and I’m glad I did, since this had already turned super dark after it seemed like the leaves barely got wet.

I meant to try it without additives but the opaqueness of the cup intimidated me into adding creamer from the beginning. It turned into a lovely tamed tea once the creamer was added but I’m thinking my palate might not be able to handle it any other way.

I take most of my breakfast teas with milk and sugar anyway so this will fit in the rotation until I sip it down. It certainly was the jolt I needed to get into schoolwork this morning!

Boiling 1 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Woah. This tea doesn’t taste like what I expected it to. It looks like a CTC Assam, but does not taste like it. Definitely bold. Needed some cream and honey. I like it, but I don’t think it will be a reorder. I think I over steeped it, though, and CTCs are kind of whiny about over steeping. I’ll add another note once I do the parameters as Stacy suggested.

wonder if i picked this one up haha

TastyBrew

If you didn’t, I can send you some next go round.

looks like i didn’t in checking my invoice, so i’d love a cup or two to try

TastyBrew

Cool. I’l remember what it is this time :-)

Terri HarpLady

I’ve never seen this one…

Butiki Teas

TastyBrew-I’ve played around with the steeping parameters on this one and I find 1 level tsp around 190F or slightly less for no more than a minute produces an amazing complex cup with no astringency. If you have a chance, try reducing the temperature. Its really lovely.

TastyBrew

Thanks Stacy! I’ll try that tomorrow for my morning cup. I think I’ve reached my saturation point for caffeine this morning :-)

Butiki Teas

TastyBrew-Haha. I definitely know that feeling. :)

This one was really good. I got the bready flavors without any problem. I took it on my recent trip to Vegas and it steeped up very nicely in subpar temperature water in the restaurant. Now I need to try it in more controlled conditions! :)

Yvonne

Bready? Hmm, odd!

This is, in my opinion, a nice breakfast tea. Sure, it’s all cut up into teeny tiny pieces, which really resemble course coffee grounds and have a spicy aroma. But for making a pot of tea to enjoy with breakfast, it’s a no-brainer, & it steeps up fast! The cup is nicely bold, malty, & has some interesting flavors that I will have to pay more attention to next time.

I woke up with a headache this morning, and knew I’d want a strong breakfast tea to help sort me out. This one came to mind — a sample I requested with my latest Butiki order. I don’t drink all that many CTC teas now, but they do have a place in my stash for days like this. Unsurprisingly, this one stands up to the pack easily.

It’s really strong, bold, black tea. I gave it the 1.5 minutes recommended, and added a generous splash of milk. It’s relatively sweet and malty, and I’m picking up a few yeasty, bread-like notes. It’s just the kind of no-nonsense tea I can appreciate on a morning, perfect for unashamed quaffing. I’ll definitely be adding a bag of this to my next order, to keep in reserve for days just like this one! Another excellent Butiki tea.

I love bold, breakfast black teas. The kind that don’t have fancy descriptions and a line of connoisseurs lining up to sample them and give their two cents. CTC teas usually hit the mark here. This one certainly is bold, but there’s something funky going on. I think it almost tastes like someone boiled asparagus in the broth. I like asparagus just fine, and I certainly expect it in a green tea, but in my simple hearty black teas. . .eh, not so much. I added some milk and the asparagus flavor only got stronger. Now it’s like cream of asparagus soup! Far out man!

LOL whoa

This is very strong! I had it in the afternoon today, but I’ll be drinking the rest of my stash as a breakfast tea. I’m getting a lot of what I think might be best described as oaky notes, and I’m also picking up on that unexpected vegetal note others have mentioned. While it’s not a dealbreaker it is something I could do without in a black tea. Not bad, but I definitely prefer Butiki’s Irish Breakfast as far as bold morning teas go.

Quite bold, but still drinkable without additions. I think I prefer the Grandpa’s Anytime Tea as a morning CTC, though. This one’s a less bread-y, and I seem to enjoy that flavour in my breakfast teas. It’s ‘brighter’ than Grandpa’s Anytime, if that makes any sense.

Something tasted a bit… green, or something. Like a hint of some savoury vegetable. That was rather unexpected.

I brewed this at a bit below-boiling for about a minute and a half, and didn’t get any astringency at all. Pretty impressive.

this tea does not possess patience as a virtue. it does not coddle someone new to the tea world in the least. it is impatient and demanding. while it would be very nice for you to recognize its impressive aspects, the presence of ‘crimson horizon’ doesn’t really require it… it stands very well all on its own whether you recognize its brilliance or not!

absolutely caffeinated. it taps its foot waiting for you to WAKE UP!!!
quite a dark tea… a non tea equivalent might be in the neighborhood of guinness.
aspects of bread, brown sugar, nothing floral, a sense of astringency that doesn’t evolve…… a Credible Threat! lol.

very nice. as smooth as an outright call out can be (this tea is a scrapper).

and of course it came as a sneaky sample in my order- enough for one steep and one resteep. stacy, how do you do that consistently!!??

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
whatshesaid

I loved this tea, must order someday. Great with breakfast!

JustJames

indeed. gives a solid kick in the a** with an impatient ‘hurry up!’ – perfect for breakfast!

I’m so glad this tea exists! I have such a horrid allergy/sinus headache. This tea is absolutely perfect for when I need something strong yet flavorful. Loving the burned chocolate, bergamot, and bread notes right now. Now if only this headache would go away. I’m trying to drown it out in caffeine and Excedrin.

In other news, we have been pretty darn busy. In case you missed it we added the following new teas:
Kenya Obsidian-wonderful Kenyan black tea
Baked Ali Shan-Lightly oxidized and lightly roasted
Fu Shou Shan-Lightly oxidized, very high elevation, very flavorful
Taiwanese Bi Luo Chun-very fresh, flavorful
Hong Yun Black-tastes like PTA & Mi Xian Black crossed paths
Lattakajoon Assam-Chocolatey Assam
Organic Sourenee Black Blossom-Like a chocolatey cross between Darjeeling & Assam
1994 Aged Bai Hao-Like a honey drizzled on top of baker’s chocolate. Another lovely leafhopper bitten tea
Blackberry Lime Guayusa-Steph’s idea for our Custom Blend Contest
1989 Suncha Blend-Mostly shou but some sheng. Very flavorful and smooth

Still to go-
Kenyan Silver Needle-Incredibly buttery, creamy, flavorful!
2009 Banchang-heavy Apricoty notes. This puerh has quite a story behind it. Rare.
Blueberry Purple-back soon!

Added back-
Birthday Cake
Crimson Horrizon

Whew! We certainly have been busy in the last 3 week!!!!!

Also, if anyone is interested we are only asking for shipping charges for these lovely wooden display cases: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1470625936506048&set=a.1383480678553908.1073741827.100006759666084&type=1&theater

boychik

I’m so sorry, Excedrin doesn’t help me w/headaches:(. I’m on Zurtec for abt 2 months. If I skip for any reason it’s a nightmare, I feel suffocated. So excited about your new teas. Feel better;)

Stephanie

I’m all over that Banchang as soon as you add it! Sounds way up my alley! And I will have to order more blackberry lime, too :D

And I hope your headache goes away soon :/

Butiki Teas

boychik-Thanks! :) Excedrin Migrane is the only thing that helps but only sometimes. I’ve been going to an allergist since I was 8. Have had to take some kind of allergy pill every day. I’m usually ok except when the seasons change. Then all hell breaks loose.

Steph-Thanks! :) The Banchang is delicious. There is a bit of a story behind it but I just don’t have enough room in the description. I might do a separate blog post for it. In the region of that jungle that it comes from, over 78,555 tea trees are more than 100 years old, and 9,412 are over 800 years old. It is a super interesting tea and pretty rare!

Marzipan

I get awful headaches when bad weather is rolling through.

Butiki Teas

Sorry to hear that Marzipan.

Marzipan

I wondered if that might be the same with you, but just read your post above.

Tea Sipper

Wow I would love try all of those teas! They sound great!

Thanks, Tea Sipper! :)

Tea Pet

I’m so sorry about the allergies!!! I was super close to an allergy induced asthma attack today in the office. Gods, Spring sucks. Have you tried taking Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen at the same time? That sometimes helps me with my migraines and sinus headaches. Aside from that, I have a prescription medicine that immediately helps! I can PM you the name. Please feel better!

Side note: That Bai Hao…. ::drools::

Helena

If it’s allergies why aren’t you taking a antihistimine? like reactine or benadryl? as for teas that help I would say anything with licorice root, or dandelion root. They open up the airways and make it easier to breathe. Mint works really well on headaches if you rub the leaves on your temples the oil helps. Or just drink a mint tea. Hope your allergies leave you alone soon!

Butiki Teas

Thanks, Tea Pet! Spring is brutal. I’ll have to try that trick. For now, I’m trying to avoid prescription meds. My doctor prescribed some but the side effects are making me hold off on trying them.

Helena-I’m just taking Allegra daily. I might give licorice root a shot. Thamks for the suggestions!

Marzipan

It’s too bad licorice tastes like licorice. :(

Stephanie

I hate licorice and all licorice flavored things, but I can do licorice root as part of herbal blends! Just adds a sublte sweetness, I find.

ifjuly

oooh a kenyan silver needle sounds super intriguing.

Indigobloom