Steamed Purple Green

Green Tea
Asparagus, Plums
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “First tasting note! Thank you Stacy for including a sample of this with my recent order :) Fans of sencha, this tea is for you! Smooth and sweet and grassy without being bitter or overly...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 881 tasting notes
  • “I got half an oz of this with my last Butiki order, so that I could sample it more than once, so I'm drinking a cup now. It's different from the other greens I now, starting out gentle & sweet, &...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2895 tasting notes
  • “The liquor does have a purplish-mauve hue and looks like a plum! The flavor is sweet and plum-like as well. This doesn't taste like any green tea I've had that's for sure!!! I'm enjoying this with...” Read full tasting note
    Lee 220 tasting notes
  • “*Sil* talked me into splitting this and I'm happy I did. With a name like Steamed Purple Green, I thought it would taste a lot like spinach, and less like 'tea' but it's actually balanced right in...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1670 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Steamed Purple Green utilizes steamed leaves from the purple tea varietal. This varietal was propagated by grafting and cutting as opposed to seeding. This particular varietal is known as TRFK 306/1 and is rich in anthocyanin (a flavonoid), which pigments the leaves a purplish hue. Our Steamed Purple Green originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. Our Steamed Purple Green has a predominantly grassy flavor, though some asparagus and Brazil nut notes are also detectable. This tea finishes with strong cherry and grapefruit notes and is primarily sweet, grassy, and tart. To eliminate the tartness increase the amount of water or decrease the temperature. While the grassy quality of this tea is reminiscent of a Sencha, this tea is also is quite unique in a way that is unlike any other green tea.

Ingredients: Purple Kenyan Green Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 2 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 180 F

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Fans of sencha, this tea is for you! Smooth and sweet and grassy without being bitter or overly astringent, this tea does have strong asparagus notes, and a tart cherryish taste too. SO GOOD I am loving it!

TeaBrat

oooh, this sounds yummy

Stephanie

I love how complex it is…so much going on here :)

I got half an oz of this with my last Butiki order, so that I could sample it more than once, so I’m drinking a cup now. It’s different from the other greens I now, starting out gentle & sweet, & finishing a little on the tart edge. As it cools, I’m definitely getting the cherry & grapefruit references.

The liquor does have a purplish-mauve hue and looks like a plum!
The flavor is sweet and plum-like as well. This doesn’t taste like any green tea I’ve had that’s for sure!!!
I’m enjoying this with a lunch of Bok Choy, Lemongrass, and herbs that I stir-fried up.
Delicious!!!!!
Thank u Terri H for this sample!!!

Flavors: Plums

Sil talked me into splitting this and I’m happy I did. With a name like Steamed Purple Green, I thought it would taste a lot like spinach, and less like ‘tea’ but it’s actually balanced right in between. It’s fresh, green, and buttery but not in your face with the vegetal/spinach flavours. Interesting! I’m not a huge fan of green teas (I have 1 oz of Laoshan Green that I’ve had maybe 2 cups of in 8 months? :O) but I do like this!

Thanks for twisting my rubber arm! :)
(188)

ETA: Hey – when you guys track tea in your spreadsheets, and you have tea you bought at two separate dates, do you count that as 1 tea, or 2? I want to keep them separate because I want to accurately track my old teas, BUT I don’t want to stuff my cupboard full of ‘extra’ teas. :D

ETA-again: I decided to count each duplicate tea as a fraction (.5, .5) instead of doubling my count. So I’m actually at 185. I’ll take it! And if it’s a fraction, I’ll remember to double-check for the other one when I remove one!

OMGsrsly

I number the one ‘in use’ and leave the other one blank. :D That way it’s only “one” tea, but I have 2 dates.

Cameron B.

So what kind of spreadsheets do you use for this? I’m intrigued.

my cupboard counts it as 1 tea… my spreadsheet has the oldest date and then in brackets for the tea name i put the second date so that when i finish it, i just put in the next date lol

sherapop

I haven’t graduated to spreadsheets yet. lol

Cavocorax

Just Excel. I have columns for type of tea, company, name of tea, who gave it to me, who I’m giving it to, date purchased, original purchase size, estimated remaining size, my rating, a quick Y/N/M if I’d rebuy it or not, a Y/N column for cold-steeping and then notes. After I drink it I move it to another page for reference. It works for me – it’s much quicker to filter/search in Excel then it is on Steepster. :P

And thanks guys. So I am at 185! :D

OMGsrsly

Go Cavo Go! I’m still at 250, and I still have the tea box, and there’s incoming as well. :) Oops?

Ubacat

I got into the excel sheets a few months back and think it’s great for organizing. For those that don’t have excel and can’t afford it LibreOffice is a free program with Calc being like Excel. I’ve worked on it before and it’s great. You can open Excel files with it.

OMGsrsly

Ubacat, I just use google docs. That way I can access it anywhere! Well, mostly when I’m out buying tea and want to make sure I’m not getting anything I don’t already have, or have tried and didn’t like. Which can be a problem.

Cavocorax

Yeah I did Google docs for a bit bc it was just so convenient on my android phone! Now that I’m back on a windows phone, I’m back with Excel. :P

And good luck with the tea box OMGrsly!

OMGsrsly

Sadly I haven’t been drinking much tea at all. Too blah, which is unfortunate. Maybe I’ll go make a cup and cut out another t-shirt. :)

Cavocorax

Yay! At least it’s just tea you’re blah about. You’ll come back to us!

This has cooled down quite a but because my sister was having a relationship crisis that she wanted to talk about. Cool, this tastes vegetal but not in the same way that most greens taste. Instead, it actually tastes like vegetables in liquid form with a but of underlying astringency. It isn’t bad but nothing I feel compelled to stock either. Thank you Sil for the sample. I look forward to seeing what Cavocorax has to say about this blend.

figured it would be an interesting for you guys to try since you tend to feel about greens the way i do. this one was a little unique so wanted to share :)

VariaTEA

When I opened the package I was definitely shocked to see almost black tea but it all made sense after it steeped and the leaves came out green

mmmmm sooo i’m still enjoying this one. Stacy always finds interesting green teas for the non green tea lover in me. This likely won’t be a restock as i don’t have room for many greens in my cupboard (think…2? maybe? if that) but it may make repeat appearances in future for fun :)

Courtney

I’m the same with greens. I’m at my all-time high with 3 in the cupboard hah!

i have a few more than 3 but only 2? actual purchases of SMALL quantities…the other couple are samples from ppl

Strange. . . I used same brewing parameters as last time, but I don’t detect the same bitterness. Maybe because its still pretty hot? Sometimes I notice bitter more as tea cools.

Some random comments about the “new” Steepster:
*I can’t put in decimal amounts for teaspoons. My “teaspoon” is one of those perfect cup kind that holds slightly more than your every-day kitchen teaspoon, so I like to say 1.5. . but I can’t. oh well.

*I noticed in the list of tasting note quotes that show up on a tea page, the name displayed below my note is my facebook username, not the one I use for this site (which is my real name). Not that I particularly care, but this may confuse some people who don’t recognize the different names. Anyway, that is all :)

Stephanie

Good tea. And I agree about the tsp thing being weird.

Terri HarpLady

I avoid things like the tsp issue by not using that feature, LOL.

As for the FB names, I was wondering why some people had different names posted. I never linked my FB to steepster.

Shelley_Lorraine

but i wanna use the feature!! im too OCD not to and too annoyed that I can’t use it to perfection, :( lol

Shelley_Lorraine

you know im going to start measuring all my tea in grams now, right?

Terri HarpLady