Nutmeg Cream

Honey, Nutmeg, Raisins, Wood, Cream, Chocolate, Malt, Astringent, Creamy
Edit tea info Last updated by Amariel

2 Images

• “This tea is SO good. I overleafed a little bit (by maybe 1/4 tsp) and steeped 4 minutes, trusting Butiki's recommendations. Ohhhhh, yes. Fingers crossed Butiki/Amoda offer this in the future. I...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1420 tasting notes
  • “Ok, so it's been long enough that it seems safe to drink these down and announce that they came from the *Amoda* box. OMG. The smell of this is just divine. It's like warmed eggnog. I could...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1671 tasting notes
  • “Ummm...yum? Oh yeah, total yum, indeed! This is the first tea from the Amoda Box I tried. I made two travel mugs worth of it the other morning...my DAVIDs kids tumbler from summer before last, and...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 596 tasting notes
  • “i had a little nut tree... nothing would it bear, but a silver nutmeg and a golden pear. such an old rhyme, from so very long ago! i absolutely taste the silver nutmeg in this lovely blend....” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 378 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This tea was featured in the Amoda Tea Box for December 2013.

A wake you up Indian Breakfast tea with a round mouthfeel, light astringency, amazing malt and nut character and even some notes of Baker’s chocolate. And of course, the main feature: nutmeg with the taste of cream. Simply put, this tea tastes like Christmas. Sweeten the pot if you want something more decadent, and a taste of orange.

Ingredients: Khongea Golden Tippy Assam, Organic Sournee Second FLush, Dinjoye Assam, Organic Kundalay, Organic Calendula, Organic Nutmeg, Organic Natural Flavoring (vegan)

About Butiki Teas View company

Not posting a number…I accidently over steeped it and it was God awful.
Can anyone offer me their best steeping instructions for this?
Thanks a bunch!

Suziqzer

I’m not familiar with that one yet, so I can’t help you but the name sounds enticing. I hope you can find it’s sweet spot !

CelebriTEA

Thanks Suzi…I love Nutmeg…I am thinking I need to steep it shorter…
Perhaps add a little honey…? Hopefully, I can turn it around…

Dustin

Just had a cup of this and it was really good. I did a 3m steep in boiling water. I added a little cream and sugar before tasting it because I was in the mood and it turned out really nice. I used just over 1tsp in about 8oz water. Good luck on your next steep!

Wow! That was much better! Tried this again today and watched the steeping time and what a difference. Not bitter, didn’t taste like a green and I could detect the nutmeg flavour, though it was still just a hint of nutmeg. I love that this is a spice based tea that is strictly nutmeg, I like to taste those spices alone once in a while instead of always being paired with cinnamon! The base was very smooth and creamy, my only complaint is that I wish there was a little more nutmeg, but a really good tea. I would repurchase this if given the chance.

Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box

Thank you ashleyelizabeth for including a bunch of Butiki teas in this box; they are one of the e-tailers that I’ve been wanting to try but it just hasn’t quite happened yet. In any case, there was just enough in the baggy for about 1.5 teaspoons so I used my smaller 12oz mug.

Can I be honest here? Butiki gets so much love here on Steepster that this one was a bit of a let down. I’m getting black tea and nutmeg and a minor amount of cream, but it doesn’t have quite the mouth-feel one would expect and it’s a little astringent.

If there were enough in here to pass on, I would as it’s not something I would want to stock. Maybe I brewed it wrong?

2nd steep was significantly better over the first but still not something I’d stock.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
ashleyelizabeth

I was also disappointed with this one, I was wanting more nutmeg! And I found it a little astringent as well. Don’t base your opinion of Butiki on this blend, I have moved most of Stacy’s blends that I have tried.

Backlog:

I Loved this tea! I was thrilled that Amoda rubbed elbows with Stacy at Butiki Teas and managed to get not just one but THREE exclusive blends for Amoda subscribers. I was so excited by this box!

I love nutmeg, it’s one of my very favorite spices, and I love how it’s the prominent focus of this tea blend. It’s warm but not spicy, with delicious nutty and earthy flavors. This truly tastes like Christmas.

Thank you Amoda! I loved this box!

Here’s my full-length review of this tea: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/12/09/nutmeg-cream-butiki-teas/

This is the tea of the day from the tea bag. This was my first order from Amoda Teas, and I was happy that they let everyone know that Butiki would be providing the teas for December. I instantly ordered my box and ended up purchasing from Butiki any way on Black Friday. I’ve only tried I think one of Butiki’s teas in a swap, so I was exciting to taste some new ones. This one is unique and interesting. I don’t think that I’ve ever had just nutmeg before, usually it’s mixed in with all kinds of other spices. It has a nutty flavor and isn’t too spicy like cinnamon can sometimes be. There’s a lot of flavors in this tea – malty, chocolatey, spicy, creamy, etc. Of course I prefer this tea with milk and sweetener and love the orange taste that comes out when these are added. I like that this is a hefty tea and doesn’t feel at all thin. The cup seems to thicken as it cools. Hooray for another winner!

-Dry blend has medium black and brown tea leaves and twigs with large yellow petals and powdery nutmeg.
-Dry leaves smell freshly nutty and spicy. Tea liquor aroma is malty with a hint of chocolate and nutmeg.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium reddish orange color.
-Thick malty flavor with a slightly bitter finish. Lightly spicy nutmeg aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Very good tea. Unique nutty and spicy nutmeg flavor with a heavy cream note. Milk and sweetener brings out a hint of citrusy orange.

This one makes me wish I could drink black tea regularly :-( This is a nice bold cup. I got a solid four steeps out of these leaves (Western-style brewing). Each steep had a nice thick mouthfeel and zero astringency. The first steep was full of malty nutmeg creamy goodness, as was the second. The third steep really caught me off guard because it was so lush with honey notes. The fourth steep was slightly weaker than the rest, but still quite solid. Overall, an impressive blend.

This is the first tea I opened from the Amoda Tea box (which I subscribed for just cuz of the special Butiki Tea blends). I really love this tea, the smell and taste are yummy and very holiday eggnog like with the cream and nutmeg. All the cups of this I’ve had have been enjoyable. I’ll be sad when my little bag is all gone…. which will be soon.

This was my first box from Amoda and my first set of Butiki teas. Needless to say, I was super interested in the teas in that particular box.

The tea smells delicious, and its base is strong. It’s also quite creamy, which is always one of my favorite characteristics of a tea.

The flavor is kinda complex, morphing from one flavor to another: cream, chocolate, nut, spice, malt, etc. And not necessary in that order. But the base is still always pretty prominent.

A very nice blend!

I could melt away into this cup and never come back! I added a little soy creamer and sugar and it is making this cup quite dreamy. The cream really amplifies the creaminess that the tea already has. I can smell a little nutmeg in the cup and get a hint of it just before the tea reaches my mouth. The cream takes over at the start of the sip, riding on a nice solid base, then the nutmeg comes back out at the end. The aftertaste might be my favorite part where they nutmeg and cream hang out together. I need to slow down because I’m downing this cup way too fast. It’s really hitting the spot!

rosebudmelissa

Mmm, sounds delicious. I love nutmeg flavors in chai.

Dustin

I don’t know that I have picked nutmeg out in chai before! I usually get all cardamon, clove and cinnamon. I’ll have to start paying more attention!

rosebudmelissa

Sometimes I make homemade chai, or add some extra spice to chai I’ve bought, so I’ve experimented with quite a few spices.

So Cavocorax had sent me a sample of this and I was pretty jazzed about being able to try it. Especially considering that I very nearly ordered it when it went up for sale on Butiki’s website, but resisted in the end.
There was alot of dust/particles in the bottom of the package. Maybe it was flavoring or something, but I made sure to shake it up so I didn’t miss some possibly vital part of the tea. In hindsight, I should’ve left it alone. XD
For some reason, I had gotten it in my head that this was Hazelnut Cream, so not getting hazelnut in the first sip was a bit of a start. Lol!
I haven’t really had nutmeg much (or really at all if I’m being honest) so I wasn’t sure what to expect. It has a strange sharp/spicy/nutty sort of smell that’s present in the taste. Along with an almost powdery sort of taste sensation. Hard to describe. I do get a sort of cream taste in the background that’s like a smooth undercurrent. Not sweet and adding a bit of Truvia didn’t really do much at all for the tea. There was also alot of particles in the bottom of my cup that I’m pretty sure added extra bitterness, so I guess I should’ve left it settled.
I’m pretty sure that I don’t much care for it, so I’m glad that I didn’t end up buying it, but still glad to try it. Apparently nutmeg is one of the flavors I just don’t care for. Lol!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Butiki Teas

I’m thinking the dust you are thinking of is crushed nutmeg.

Marzipan

When my mom visited last she picked this to drink and loved it.