Nutmeg Cream

Honey, Nutmeg, Raisins, Wood, Cream, Chocolate, Malt, Astringent, Creamy
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

From Butiki Teas

This tea was featured in the Amoda Tea Box for December 2013.

A wake you up Indian Breakfast tea with a round mouthfeel, light astringency, amazing malt and nut character and even some notes of Baker’s chocolate. And of course, the main feature: nutmeg with the taste of cream. Simply put, this tea tastes like Christmas. Sweeten the pot if you want something more decadent, and a taste of orange.

Ingredients: Khongea Golden Tippy Assam, Organic Sournee Second FLush, Dinjoye Assam, Organic Kundalay, Organic Calendula, Organic Nutmeg, Organic Natural Flavoring (vegan)

About Butiki Teas View company

Not posting a number…I accidently over steeped it and it was God awful.
Can anyone offer me their best steeping instructions for this?
Thanks a bunch!

I’m not familiar with that one yet, so I can’t help you but the name sounds enticing. I hope you can find it’s sweet spot !

Thanks Suzi…I love Nutmeg…I am thinking I need to steep it shorter…
Perhaps add a little honey…? Hopefully, I can turn it around…

Just had a cup of this and it was really good. I did a 3m steep in boiling water. I added a little cream and sugar before tasting it because I was in the mood and it turned out really nice. I used just over 1tsp in about 8oz water. Good luck on your next steep!

Wow! That was much better! Tried this again today and watched the steeping time and what a difference. Not bitter, didn’t taste like a green and I could detect the nutmeg flavour, though it was still just a hint of nutmeg. I love that this is a spice based tea that is strictly nutmeg, I like to taste those spices alone once in a while instead of always being paired with cinnamon! The base was very smooth and creamy, my only complaint is that I wish there was a little more nutmeg, but a really good tea. I would repurchase this if given the chance.

Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box

Thank you ashleyelizabeth for including a bunch of Butiki teas in this box; they are one of the e-tailers that I’ve been wanting to try but it just hasn’t quite happened yet. In any case, there was just enough in the baggy for about 1.5 teaspoons so I used my smaller 12oz mug.

Can I be honest here? Butiki gets so much love here on Steepster that this one was a bit of a let down. I’m getting black tea and nutmeg and a minor amount of cream, but it doesn’t have quite the mouth-feel one would expect and it’s a little astringent.

If there were enough in here to pass on, I would as it’s not something I would want to stock. Maybe I brewed it wrong?

2nd steep was significantly better over the first but still not something I’d stock.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I was also disappointed with this one, I was wanting more nutmeg! And I found it a little astringent as well. Don’t base your opinion of Butiki on this blend, I have moved most of Stacy’s blends that I have tried.

I Loved this tea! I was thrilled that Amoda rubbed elbows with Stacy at Butiki Teas and managed to get not just one but THREE exclusive blends for Amoda subscribers. I was so excited by this box!

I love nutmeg, it’s one of my very favorite spices, and I love how it’s the prominent focus of this tea blend. It’s warm but not spicy, with delicious nutty and earthy flavors. This truly tastes like Christmas.

Thank you Amoda! I loved this box!

Here’s my full-length review of this tea:

This is the tea of the day from the tea bag. This was my first order from Amoda Teas, and I was happy that they let everyone know that Butiki would be providing the teas for December. I instantly ordered my box and ended up purchasing from Butiki any way on Black Friday. I’ve only tried I think one of Butiki’s teas in a swap, so I was exciting to taste some new ones. This one is unique and interesting. I don’t think that I’ve ever had just nutmeg before, usually it’s mixed in with all kinds of other spices. It has a nutty flavor and isn’t too spicy like cinnamon can sometimes be. There’s a lot of flavors in this tea – malty, chocolatey, spicy, creamy, etc. Of course I prefer this tea with milk and sweetener and love the orange taste that comes out when these are added. I like that this is a hefty tea and doesn’t feel at all thin. The cup seems to thicken as it cools. Hooray for another winner!

-Dry blend has medium black and brown tea leaves and twigs with large yellow petals and powdery nutmeg.
-Dry leaves smell freshly nutty and spicy. Tea liquor aroma is malty with a hint of chocolate and nutmeg.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium reddish orange color.
-Thick malty flavor with a slightly bitter finish. Lightly spicy nutmeg aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Very good tea. Unique nutty and spicy nutmeg flavor with a heavy cream note. Milk and sweetener brings out a hint of citrusy orange.

This one makes me wish I could drink black tea regularly :-( This is a nice bold cup. I got a solid four steeps out of these leaves (Western-style brewing). Each steep had a nice thick mouthfeel and zero astringency. The first steep was full of malty nutmeg creamy goodness, as was the second. The third steep really caught me off guard because it was so lush with honey notes. The fourth steep was slightly weaker than the rest, but still quite solid. Overall, an impressive blend.

This is the first tea I opened from the Amoda Tea box (which I subscribed for just cuz of the special Butiki Tea blends). I really love this tea, the smell and taste are yummy and very holiday eggnog like with the cream and nutmeg. All the cups of this I’ve had have been enjoyable. I’ll be sad when my little bag is all gone…. which will be soon.

This was my first box from Amoda and my first set of Butiki teas. Needless to say, I was super interested in the teas in that particular box.

The tea smells delicious, and its base is strong. It’s also quite creamy, which is always one of my favorite characteristics of a tea.

The flavor is kinda complex, morphing from one flavor to another: cream, chocolate, nut, spice, malt, etc. And not necessary in that order. But the base is still always pretty prominent.

A very nice blend!

I too have joined the Butiki sipdown bandwagon. I think I’ve hoarded long enough now, and I really want to enjoy what I’ve got left before the flavouring disappears. This was today’s choice. I wanted a good, strong wake-up tea because I’m feeling so tired this morning it’s almost unreal. The base here is a blend of Indian black teas, including an Assam, so I was pretty sure it would do the job.

It did, and it’s totally delicious to boot! I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 3.5 minutes in boiling water. I added a splash of milk. I can immediately taste cream, with a hint of warming, fragrant nutmeg spice. It reminds me of Christmas. The flavouring here is the kind that works with the base teas rather than against them, so it’s possible to taste their sweet, malty, mildly chocolatey characteristics, before the nutmeg/cream flavouring begins to develop. It’s a really nice, well rounded cup.

It makes me sad to think that I’ll never be able to get any more of this, but such is life. It was limited edition at the time anyway, so I can’t really mope. Instead, I’m going to focus on enjoying the rest of my bag. I’ll probably try and save a cup for Christmas Day, so we can say goodbye properly.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Why I took this long to write a tasting note regarding this tea is beyond me. Previous cups have been an obvious nutmeg, but this time around, I didn’t get any nutmeg whatsoever and instead reminded me a lot of Stacy’s previous cheesecake renditions. It must be the cream flavouring/aspect used in the cheesecake/cream blends.

The nutmeg poofed away to another place this time around. Please come back, nutmeg?

What was your steeping time and water temp? Did you do it the same as you have previously? I find that with Nutmeg Cream and Custard, steeping variations can greatly affect how the taste profile is. Sorry to hear this cup was not so nutmeg-y. :(

Don’t have a variable temp kettle/thermometer so I never truly know the temperature, so I eyeball such things, so-to-speak. Could be the different kettle, different water source, even the fact that the tea itself has aged, or yeah, the time/temperature. Who knows.

Ahh, could be any of those. I don’t have variable temp either, so I also tend to eyeball. I’ve learned that with this tea, I need a shorter steep time and less leaf. At least for me. Hope your next one is back to normal.