Nutmeg Cream

Honey, Nutmeg, Raisins, Wood, Cream, Chocolate, Malt, Astringent, Creamy
Edit tea info Last updated by Amariel

2 Images

• “This tea is SO good. I overleafed a little bit (by maybe 1/4 tsp) and steeped 4 minutes, trusting Butiki's recommendations. Ohhhhh, yes. Fingers crossed Butiki/Amoda offer this in the future. I...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1361 tasting notes
  • “Ok, so it's been long enough that it seems safe to drink these down and announce that they came from the *Amoda* box. OMG. The smell of this is just divine. It's like warmed eggnog. I could...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1617 tasting notes
  • “Ummm...yum? Oh yeah, total yum, indeed! This is the first tea from the Amoda Box I tried. I made two travel mugs worth of it the other morning...my DAVIDs kids tumbler from summer before last, and...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 587 tasting notes
  • “i had a little nut tree... nothing would it bear, but a silver nutmeg and a golden pear. such an old rhyme, from so very long ago! i absolutely taste the silver nutmeg in this lovely blend....” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 376 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This tea was featured in the Amoda Tea Box for December 2013.

A wake you up Indian Breakfast tea with a round mouthfeel, light astringency, amazing malt and nut character and even some notes of Baker’s chocolate. And of course, the main feature: nutmeg with the taste of cream. Simply put, this tea tastes like Christmas. Sweeten the pot if you want something more decadent, and a taste of orange.

Ingredients: Khongea Golden Tippy Assam, Organic Sournee Second FLush, Dinjoye Assam, Organic Kundalay, Organic Calendula, Organic Nutmeg, Organic Natural Flavoring (vegan)

About Butiki Teas View company

Not posting a number…I accidently over steeped it and it was God awful.
Can anyone offer me their best steeping instructions for this?
Thanks a bunch!

Suziqzer

I’m not familiar with that one yet, so I can’t help you but the name sounds enticing. I hope you can find it’s sweet spot !

CelebriTEA

Thanks Suzi…I love Nutmeg…I am thinking I need to steep it shorter…
Perhaps add a little honey…? Hopefully, I can turn it around…

Wow! That was much better! Tried this again today and watched the steeping time and what a difference. Not bitter, didn’t taste like a green and I could detect the nutmeg flavour, though it was still just a hint of nutmeg. I love that this is a spice based tea that is strictly nutmeg, I like to taste those spices alone once in a while instead of always being paired with cinnamon! The base was very smooth and creamy, my only complaint is that I wish there was a little more nutmeg, but a really good tea. I would repurchase this if given the chance.

Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box

Thank you ashleyelizabeth for including a bunch of Butiki teas in this box; they are one of the e-tailers that I’ve been wanting to try but it just hasn’t quite happened yet. In any case, there was just enough in the baggy for about 1.5 teaspoons so I used my smaller 12oz mug.

Can I be honest here? Butiki gets so much love here on Steepster that this one was a bit of a let down. I’m getting black tea and nutmeg and a minor amount of cream, but it doesn’t have quite the mouth-feel one would expect and it’s a little astringent.

If there were enough in here to pass on, I would as it’s not something I would want to stock. Maybe I brewed it wrong?

2nd steep was significantly better over the first but still not something I’d stock.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
ashleyelizabeth

I was also disappointed with this one, I was wanting more nutmeg! And I found it a little astringent as well. Don’t base your opinion of Butiki on this blend, I have moved most of Stacy’s blends that I have tried.

Backlog:

I Loved this tea! I was thrilled that Amoda rubbed elbows with Stacy at Butiki Teas and managed to get not just one but THREE exclusive blends for Amoda subscribers. I was so excited by this box!

I love nutmeg, it’s one of my very favorite spices, and I love how it’s the prominent focus of this tea blend. It’s warm but not spicy, with delicious nutty and earthy flavors. This truly tastes like Christmas.

Thank you Amoda! I loved this box!

Here’s my full-length review of this tea: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/12/09/nutmeg-cream-butiki-teas/

This is the tea of the day from the tea bag. This was my first order from Amoda Teas, and I was happy that they let everyone know that Butiki would be providing the teas for December. I instantly ordered my box and ended up purchasing from Butiki any way on Black Friday. I’ve only tried I think one of Butiki’s teas in a swap, so I was exciting to taste some new ones. This one is unique and interesting. I don’t think that I’ve ever had just nutmeg before, usually it’s mixed in with all kinds of other spices. It has a nutty flavor and isn’t too spicy like cinnamon can sometimes be. There’s a lot of flavors in this tea – malty, chocolatey, spicy, creamy, etc. Of course I prefer this tea with milk and sweetener and love the orange taste that comes out when these are added. I like that this is a hefty tea and doesn’t feel at all thin. The cup seems to thicken as it cools. Hooray for another winner!

-Dry blend has medium black and brown tea leaves and twigs with large yellow petals and powdery nutmeg.
-Dry leaves smell freshly nutty and spicy. Tea liquor aroma is malty with a hint of chocolate and nutmeg.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium reddish orange color.
-Thick malty flavor with a slightly bitter finish. Lightly spicy nutmeg aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Very good tea. Unique nutty and spicy nutmeg flavor with a heavy cream note. Milk and sweetener brings out a hint of citrusy orange.

This one makes me wish I could drink black tea regularly :-( This is a nice bold cup. I got a solid four steeps out of these leaves (Western-style brewing). Each steep had a nice thick mouthfeel and zero astringency. The first steep was full of malty nutmeg creamy goodness, as was the second. The third steep really caught me off guard because it was so lush with honey notes. The fourth steep was slightly weaker than the rest, but still quite solid. Overall, an impressive blend.

This is the first tea I opened from the Amoda Tea box (which I subscribed for just cuz of the special Butiki Tea blends). I really love this tea, the smell and taste are yummy and very holiday eggnog like with the cream and nutmeg. All the cups of this I’ve had have been enjoyable. I’ll be sad when my little bag is all gone…. which will be soon.

This was my first box from Amoda and my first set of Butiki teas. Needless to say, I was super interested in the teas in that particular box.

The tea smells delicious, and its base is strong. It’s also quite creamy, which is always one of my favorite characteristics of a tea.

The flavor is kinda complex, morphing from one flavor to another: cream, chocolate, nut, spice, malt, etc. And not necessary in that order. But the base is still always pretty prominent.

A very nice blend!

Wow, just home from a long trip on the bus, such crazy traffic! I have to go out again in a few hours but I just want to stay at home and hibernate now.

Just trying this tea now which is from a swap with Cameron B. I like nutmeg and I’ve never tried this before. I ended up making this in a giant mug! I wasn’t sure that I liked this so much when it was plain, but after soymilk and sugar was added it became transformed into a nice dessert tea. I definitely think the nutmeg element is prominent, and there is something creamy about it as well, so overall I was fairly pleased with this.

In other news, I did get notice from the EDD that I’m eligible for unemployment now. At least that money will cover my rent and maybe I won’t have to be so worried for the next few months. Rents are so expensive in SF that I will still have to use my savings to live but the unemployment money should help me to get by. I guess I still need to watch my tea spending for a while!

gmathis

Glad for the good(ish) news!

TeaBrat

I’ll take anything I can get at this point :)

So Stacy from Butiki posted on Facebook that she had a stray ounce of this lingering around and I volunteered to be its new home! Hooray! She was also nice enough to include two samples even though I only spent $5 for this tea (plus the shipping). So yay for Stacy for being so nice! This is my first Butiki tea, although I have been plotting an order since I discovered them here on Steepster a few weeks ago. Soon!

Anyway, this tea is quite beautiful visually, even though it’s just tea leaves with a few golden flower petals. The leaves are nice mix of chocolately brown and gold, and the petals accent their color perfectly. It also smells quite lovely – all nutmeg and vanilla goodness reminiscent of eggnog. I brewed one teaspoon for 3 minutes (Stacy included a note recommending 190 degrees).

The brewed tea smells even better than the dry version. The nutmeg and vanilla have toned down a bit, but they are joined by luscious notes of chocolate and raisin, giving it a richness and depth. I was surprised when I tasted this that I didn’t get a sense of vanilla or cream that many other tasters described. I did get a light but multi-flavored base tea that is well-accented by the addition of nutmeg. The nutmeg hits me most at the beginning and end of the sip, while in the middle I taste lovely hints of raisin, wood, and honey. Quite tasty, and I didn’t miss the cream at all.

I drank this one au naturel, but I can definitely see it being a decadent eggnog treat with added milk and sugar. Thanks again, Stacy! :)

Flavors: Honey, Nutmeg, Raisins, Wood

TheTeaFairy

So glad you are having a great experience with butiki, and Stacy is the best, enjoy!!