Lattakoojan Assam

Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Plums, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 13 oz / 394 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “Selected by the ladies of the Tea Chat Room. I made a bit of a storing fail, it got left on a grape scented candle by accident. So now it smells a bit like grapes. It also has a scent of plums and...” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 444 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning, and the final sample from my last Butiki order. I came close to buying a whole bag of this, but in the end I couldn’t decide between this and Dinjoye Estate. I’ve tried a sample...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1031 tasting notes
  • “I can't quite seem to make this tea work. I get a deep, smooth taste, and it's tasty overall, but the astringency is a just too bit much for my liking. Perhaps I'll try a slightly shorter steep?...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 696 tasting notes
  • “Another assam from Butiki that I really enjoy...imagine that! This is, of course, malty and smooth with a little fruity hint. A delicious treat.” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 818 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Lattakoojan Assam originates from the Lattakoojan Estate in the city of Letekujan in the Golaghat district in Assam, India. The Lattakoojan Estate was established in 1922 and spans 1163 hectares. Lattakoojan refers to “Leteku” (fruit, also known as Burmese grapes) and “Jan” (river). This tea has everything that makes an Assam great but also has intense decadent chocolate notes. Wood notes as well as citrus notes and a whisper of smoke and can be detected in our malty Lattakoojan Assam. This second flush tea is graded TGFOP (Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe).

Ingredients: Indian Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit wwww.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Selected by the ladies of the Tea Chat Room. I made a bit of a storing fail, it got left on a grape scented candle by accident. So now it smells a bit like grapes. It also has a scent of plums and malty chocolate. The flavour is plum hot cocoa. Which is pretty good.

Make sure you don’t leave samples with your candles, kids. At least it was a complimentary fruit and not ocean breeze or something.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Plums

Tea of the morning, and the final sample from my last Butiki order. I came close to buying a whole bag of this, but in the end I couldn’t decide between this and Dinjoye Estate. I’ve tried a sample of the Dinjoye before, so I figured I’d also try a sample of this and then decide in time for my next order. I love assam, so I fear it may not be that simple. Perhaps both are required.

Anyway, the tea. I followed the recommended parameters and gave this 3.5 minutes in boiling water. It’s delicious – absolutely all of the things I love about assam in one cup! It’s very malty, so much so that it’s almost thick tasting and sort of chewy. The initial sip is quite savoury, but a strong underlying sweetness emerges in the aftertaste. It’s very, very smooth, with not a hint of astringency. It’s also strong in flavour — even with milk this was an excellent wake up kick! There are tiny, tiny hints of cocoa and bread, but they’re not prominent. That’s fine with me, though, because there are other teas that have those characteristics in spades if that’s what I’m looking for. I love this one for it’s wonderful sweet, strong, overwhelming maltiness. I can see it being a definite purchase.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

I can’t quite seem to make this tea work. I get a deep, smooth taste, and it’s tasty overall, but the astringency is a just too bit much for my liking. Perhaps I’ll try a slightly shorter steep?

I have to remember to do a comparison with Dinjoye before I drink this one up.

Butiki Teas

Hmmm, this one shouldn’t be astringent. Maybe less tea and slightly cooler water would help?

Courtney

I’ll try that :)

Butiki Teas

Good luck!

Another assam from Butiki that I really enjoy…imagine that! This is, of course, malty and smooth with a little fruity hint. A delicious treat.

Flavors: Cocoa

This is a sample from TeaSipper! Thank you!

Hey Steepster it has been awhile. My wonderful husband planned 2 vacations very close together. It looked good on paper, but man it made for a very busy month. Vacation was great. I feel highly motivated and ready to take on EVERYTHING. I guess that is a good sign of vacation.

This tea, we are going to have to dance again. It is very bitter for me this morning. The first part of the sip is very very lovely. Bright, hints of coco, hints of fruity-ness, but the end of the sip is nothing but bitter for me. I am at home today so that means higher water temps. I will try this with a cooler temp and see what happens.

wow a day and a half of working…careful now steepster, you’ll wear yourself out ;)

This hit the spot this morning. Somehow i brewed it just right and it’s a fantastic cup of tea this morning. that could also be, because i’m doing my usual stressing about the next leg of this epic 8 billion week journey. This morning it’s off to minneapolis, and the saddest part of all? Mandala is too far for me to travel to and verdant’s tea house is closed monday’s. bah.

Cameron B.

So many shops here are closed on Mondays and it’s the weirdest thing ever to me. :P

Lariel of Lórien

Good luck on your Monday tea quest!

Terri HarpLady

A lot of things are closed on Monday in St. Louis too, especially little shops & restaurants. Bummer you didn’t get to visit either place, but I’m SO glad you got to visit ME!!!

priorities terri…priorities haha you, THEN tea… haha

A sample from Butiki! A very solid assam. A bit of an astringency with a robustness yet still has a nice depth of flavor. This is sad though… I see so many notes for stone fruits on this one, but I don’t taste that at all, and it’s one of my favorite tea flavors! My taste buds changed a couple months ago and most assam tastes like tomato and pumpkin to me now. I can’t begin to tell you how much I do not like acyual tomatoes. I loved my assams before! I should have more to say on this awesome assam but I’m simply shocked at my taste buds now. OH and one other thing that changed is the flavor of ketchup, which is especially odd since I just mentioned my teas are tasting like tomato. It brings into question even the purpose of my own tasting notes for myself if years from now each tea could change because of my taste buds. This tasting note doesn’t really do a Butiki tea justice, but this isn’t the best Butiki tea anyway.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // 5 min after boiling // 3 1/2 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min

Terri HarpLady

My tastebuds change around due to allergies :p

Cheri

My tastebuds got weird for a while from some antibiotics I was on. Was there something that caused it for you? Hopefully it goes back!

Tea Sipper

Not too many allergies for me this year and no antibiotics… There isn’t really anything different in the past few months. hmm.

This assam is smooth. Wait, I think I spelled that wrong….this assam is smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth. And cocoa-y. Not cocoa krispies cocoa….more like Scharffenberger cocoa. I also got a stone fruit note from it and a light malt. This isn’t a digital alarm clock (beep beep beep!) assam…it’s a “smooth jazz coming on quietly and progressively getting louder” alarm clock assam for the mornings when you want to be awake, but don’t want your feathers ruffled too much…. recommended.

Flavors: Chocolate, Stonefruits

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
keychange

Love this note!

I came home to discover that my Butiki order has arrived!!!
Yay!! I started this order a week ago, & Stacy asked me if I’d to sample some of the new teas, giving me a list of what I could choose from. I ended up buying an oz of each one, because they all sounded so amazing, & I’d rather get an oz than a 1 serving sample any day. So I basically doubled my order, LOL.

I immediately made a cup of this one. It’s rich with malt & chocolate, but also fruity & bright. I haven’t been drinking as many assams lately, & this is a welcome potent cup of awesomeness. Thanks Stacy! You can always count on me to buy more tea!

TeaTiff

Sounds yummy!

I am so jealous Terri….so very jealous.

sherapop

I really prefer to buy an ounce than only a small sample. I feel that I need to give each tea a fair chance, and multiple tests help to iron out some of the uncontrollable variables, making it possible for me to arrive at a relatively stable assessment.

Sil: neener neener neener :p
Sherapop: Totally!

So… somehow I rated this one but didn’t review it. Hm. Well, it’s good. :)

Malty, deeply cocoa-ey, smooth and lovely. That’s all I really remember. I thought I had notes on it, but I can’t seem to find them.