Lattakoojan Assam

Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 13 oz / 394 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our Lattakoojan Assam originates from the Lattakoojan Estate in the city of Letekujan in the Golaghat district in Assam, India. The Lattakoojan Estate was established in 1922 and spans 1163 hectares. Lattakoojan refers to “Leteku” (fruit, also known as Burmese grapes) and “Jan” (river). This tea has everything that makes an Assam great but also has intense decadent chocolate notes. Wood notes as well as citrus notes and a whisper of smoke and can be detected in our malty Lattakoojan Assam. This second flush tea is graded TGFOP (Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe).

Ingredients: Indian Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit wwww.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Tea of the morning, and the final sample from my last Butiki order. I came close to buying a whole bag of this, but in the end I couldn’t decide between this and Dinjoye Estate. I’ve tried a sample of the Dinjoye before, so I figured I’d also try a sample of this and then decide in time for my next order. I love assam, so I fear it may not be that simple. Perhaps both are required.

Anyway, the tea. I followed the recommended parameters and gave this 3.5 minutes in boiling water. It’s delicious – absolutely all of the things I love about assam in one cup! It’s very malty, so much so that it’s almost thick tasting and sort of chewy. The initial sip is quite savoury, but a strong underlying sweetness emerges in the aftertaste. It’s very, very smooth, with not a hint of astringency. It’s also strong in flavour — even with milk this was an excellent wake up kick! There are tiny, tiny hints of cocoa and bread, but they’re not prominent. That’s fine with me, though, because there are other teas that have those characteristics in spades if that’s what I’m looking for. I love this one for it’s wonderful sweet, strong, overwhelming maltiness. I can see it being a definite purchase.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

I can’t quite seem to make this tea work. I get a deep, smooth taste, and it’s tasty overall, but the astringency is a just too bit much for my liking. Perhaps I’ll try a slightly shorter steep?

I have to remember to do a comparison with Dinjoye before I drink this one up.

Butiki Teas

Hmmm, this one shouldn’t be astringent. Maybe less tea and slightly cooler water would help?

Courtney

I’ll try that :)

Good luck!

Another assam from Butiki that I really enjoy…imagine that! This is, of course, malty and smooth with a little fruity hint. A delicious treat.

Flavors: Cocoa

This is a sample from TeaSipper! Thank you!

Hey Steepster it has been awhile. My wonderful husband planned 2 vacations very close together. It looked good on paper, but man it made for a very busy month. Vacation was great. I feel highly motivated and ready to take on EVERYTHING. I guess that is a good sign of vacation.

This tea, we are going to have to dance again. It is very bitter for me this morning. The first part of the sip is very very lovely. Bright, hints of coco, hints of fruity-ness, but the end of the sip is nothing but bitter for me. I am at home today so that means higher water temps. I will try this with a cooler temp and see what happens.

another one from this morning..it’s cold not, but still a decent cup

A sample from Butiki! A very solid assam. A bit of an astringency with a robustness yet still has a nice depth of flavor. This is sad though… I see so many notes for stone fruits on this one, but I don’t taste that at all, and it’s one of my favorite tea flavors! My taste buds changed a couple months ago and most assam tastes like tomato and pumpkin to me now. I can’t begin to tell you how much I do not like acyual tomatoes. I loved my assams before! I should have more to say on this awesome assam but I’m simply shocked at my taste buds now. OH and one other thing that changed is the flavor of ketchup, which is especially odd since I just mentioned my teas are tasting like tomato. It brings into question even the purpose of my own tasting notes for myself if years from now each tea could change because of my taste buds. This tasting note doesn’t really do a Butiki tea justice, but this isn’t the best Butiki tea anyway.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // 5 min after boiling // 3 1/2 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min

Terri HarpLady

My tastebuds change around due to allergies :p

Cheri

My tastebuds got weird for a while from some antibiotics I was on. Was there something that caused it for you? Hopefully it goes back!

Tea Sipper

Not too many allergies for me this year and no antibiotics… There isn’t really anything different in the past few months. hmm.

This assam is smooth. Wait, I think I spelled that wrong….this assam is smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth. And cocoa-y. Not cocoa krispies cocoa….more like Scharffenberger cocoa. I also got a stone fruit note from it and a light malt. This isn’t a digital alarm clock (beep beep beep!) assam…it’s a “smooth jazz coming on quietly and progressively getting louder” alarm clock assam for the mornings when you want to be awake, but don’t want your feathers ruffled too much…. recommended.

Flavors: Chocolate, Stonefruits

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
keychange

Love this note!

I came home to discover that my Butiki order has arrived!!!
Yay!! I started this order a week ago, & Stacy asked me if I’d to sample some of the new teas, giving me a list of what I could choose from. I ended up buying an oz of each one, because they all sounded so amazing, & I’d rather get an oz than a 1 serving sample any day. So I basically doubled my order, LOL.

I immediately made a cup of this one. It’s rich with malt & chocolate, but also fruity & bright. I haven’t been drinking as many assams lately, & this is a welcome potent cup of awesomeness. Thanks Stacy! You can always count on me to buy more tea!

TeaTiff

Sounds yummy!

I am so jealous Terri….so very jealous.

sherapop

I really prefer to buy an ounce than only a small sample. I feel that I need to give each tea a fair chance, and multiple tests help to iron out some of the uncontrollable variables, making it possible for me to arrive at a relatively stable assessment.

Terri HarpLady

Sil: neener neener neener :p
Sherapop: Totally!

So… somehow I rated this one but didn’t review it. Hm. Well, it’s good. :)

Malty, deeply cocoa-ey, smooth and lovely. That’s all I really remember. I thought I had notes on it, but I can’t seem to find them.

Whew, we are finally starting to dig ourselves out of all the backorders that have been piling up over the last month. We are down just to problem orders and should have everything out by Monday. I really just hate when we are behind, it adds this level of gnawing stress. I’m so relieved that it is almost over. Next week we are focusing on taxes and inventory but the following week I can’t wait for because that is when we start preparing and adding new teas to the website. We have about 20 new teas to be added over the next few months. The first one up will be Hello Sweetie since that has been getting a lot of requests to be put online. We have so many new flavor ideas. There are a number of new teas that are far along in the testing stage as well as some remakes of teas. Here is a sneak peak of a few flavors: Pecan Toffee, Mangoes & White Chocolate, Plum Brandy Cheesecake (to replace Plum Pudding), Exotic Chai, and Lemon French Macaron (custom blend contest winner). We have many other flavors too but those are top secret at the moment. We will be removing some other teas from the website as well. Recently, I’ve been thinking about removing Pumpkin Milkshake since that doesn’t seem to be receiving the best reviews.

It’s no secret that I am a big fan of Assams. We taste as many Assams as possible before deciding on a number of different Assams that have different flavor profiles. This is a second flush Assam and the reason that I fell in love with this one is the strong raw cacao notes. Mmmmmm. If you like dark, almost bitter chocolate, then this Assam is for you! It also has some oaky notes and the standard malty Assam notes. This tea is so chocolaty, that we must come up with a chocolate tea for it.

Flavors: Chocolate

Yes please!

teaqueen

Oooo, Plum Brandy Cheesecake!

Fjellrev

Great news! And I freaking need this Assam something fierce.

TheTeaFairy

Ahhh, right up my alley this new assam… I would really like to see your take on a Cheery-Chocolate tea. I can never seem to find the right one, I’m always disapointed in them. If someone can do it, it’s you!

TheTeaFairy

Lol, I meant “cherry” of course…that could be the name though, Cheery Chocolate Cherry ;-)

Sil-Indeed! :)

teaqueen-I love the flavoring for this tea, just trying to find it the perfect base tea. This will probably be a black tea.

Fjellrev-Glad to hear that this is great news! It’s soooo good and great for satisfying chocolate cravings.

TheTeaFairy-Glad to hear that. I’m not sure how I feel about tackling a cherry flavor. I’m scared it will end up tasting like cough syrup, which I have a strong aversion to, though I have been searching around for dried cherries. So maybe it is time.

Tea Pet

A vegan white chocolate tea?!?! That’s so exciting!!!

Butiki Teas

Tea Pet-Indeed, it is a vegan white chocolate. We already tasted a bunch of white chocolate and have our favorite chips picked out.

Kaylee

The only problem with the Pumpkin Milkshake is that Doke Rolling Thunder does not make for a good base tea. I keep meaning to put this in a tasting note and never getting around to it, so I may as well make the case here. I’ve got both Pumpkin Milkshake and Pumpkin Milkshake 2.0 in my cabinet and they taste totally different. The 2.0 tastes a whole lot more like the Rolling Thunder version of Carrot Cake than the original version of Pumpkin Milkshake. Rolling Thunder is a great tea, but it just don’t hold flavor as well as other teas do. All of which is to say, pretty please don’t permanently pull Pumpkin Milkshake! It’s a great blend, especially for fall. It just needs a different base. Or, ideally, to go back to the original base.

Suziqzer

Pecan Toffe … Sounds yummy!

Dustin

I had been wondering which submission won the contest! There were some good suggestions for sure!

i’m super excited for the pecan toffee…

Kaylee

Oh yeah +1 for the pecan toffee!

Lynxiebrat

LOL…just when I’ve made my 1st order with Butiki!

Stephanie

Woooohooo new teas soon!!!

Tea Sipper

I was checking the site today wondering where Butiki was! I can’t wait to see what blends you’ve come up with!

Amariel

Mmmmmmm….yummy!

Butiki Teas

Kaylee-Have you tried our Pumpkin Creme Brulee? If so, do you think the Pumpkin Milkshake is different enough that warrants its own blend? The Castleton was a fantastic base for the Pumpkin Milkshake. Maybe we will just sell out of the Doke RT version and take off the Pumpkin Milkshake until the next Castleton harvest.

Suziqzer-Thanks! :)

Dustin-Absolutely, there were some fantastic submissions. We are considering on working on a few of the submissions.

Sil-Awesome! That was a tea we had made for Amoda and was my favorite of the blends we submitted, but the Nutmeg Cream ended up winning out.

Kaylee-Glad to see pecan toffee receiving a lot of love!

Lynxiebrat-Well, all of the teas will be taking time to come out slowly. :)

Stephanie-I’m so excited about the new teas!

Tea Sipper-Thanks! :)

Amariel-I think these new teas will be a great addition to our collection! :)

Kaylee

I have tried the Pumpkin Creme Brulee (thanks Stephanie!). It’s quite tasty, but I’m biased against it because it is a black tea and I can’t generally drink black tea without ending up in pain. I looked back at my tasting notes for Pumpkin Creme Brulee and apparently I thought that a Milkshake/Creme Brulee hybrid would be awesome. So I gather that I found them distinct but complementary. I’d be interested to know what others think! If I had to pick only one I’d go for the Milkshake, but again I’m biased. The answer might just lie in comparing sales of each tea within the time frame that the original Milkshake blend was available. I definitely support the idea of waiting to make more until the next Castleton harvest though. Much as I love it, the Milkshake is definitely more of a fall tea anyway.

So what type of base will the Pecan Toffee have?