Organic Sourenee Black Blossom

Indian Black Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our Organic Sourenee Black Blossom originates from the Sourenee Tea Estate, which has been operating for more than 100 years and spans almost 137 hectares. The name Sourenee is derived from the word “sour” a medicinal tree that thrives at the estate and “rani” which means queen of the valley. This second flush Darjeeling is hand plucked, hand rolled, and is graded SFTGFOP (Special Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe). Our Black Blossom is a sweet and full-bodied tea of exceptional quality. Strong baker’s chocolate notes are most prominent and linger long after each sip. This buttery tea has hazelnut, malt, bark, floral, and tobacco notes. Spice notes are present as well as lingering citrus notes.

Ingredients: Indian Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 190 F

For more information, please visit: wwww.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

This tea is awesome. I knew at the first sip it was a darjeeling, but I didn’t realize that before then. I really do enjoy darjeelings. The natural medium steeping colour combined with the light taste is delightful.

There are hints of breadiness and a natural sweetness that I’m really enjoying. I may need to order more of this one before I no longer have the opportunity.

Kittenna

Argh, so many of the blacks from Butiki I dismissed trying in my last couple orders, because I didn’t need even more tea… and then I keep reading stellar reviews of them. Bah! :P

A sample from Butiki I have taken way too long to try. I’m going to make a priority list of teas to try and pick from that for a while. To be fair, this was stored around the super strong smelling Ruby Pie and it might have acquired some flavor from that one, but if it did, it is delicious with this one anyway. This Darjeeling is different. I can easily say it is one of my favorites. It doesn’t have too much of a muscatel quality, but it has a syrupy quality but also a bite to it. The flavor is very bright and fruity (again, could be the Ruby Pie). It also has a quality to it like the Taiwanese assam. The leaves do look similar, dark and twisty… if it also had some Darjeeling leaves mixed in. The color of the brew is a lovely autumn orange, as I’m expecting Darjeeling to be now. This one could be called Darkjeeling. I like it whether or not it has flavors from Ruby Pie. This is similar to the other Sourenee that Butiki carries, but that one definitely has more astringency and chocolate notes. This is much fruitier. The second steep was delicious as well but it tasted a bit more like the “bark” flavor mentioned in Butiki’s description. But to me that is usually what I call the cedar tree like flavor that oversteeped leaves have. I need to drink all of my Butiki samples… but then they’ll be gone!
Steep #1 // 2 tsps.// 18 min after boiling // 4 min
Steep #2 // 13 min after boiling // 4 min

Today, I went to the market and picked up a giant cauliflower to oven roast, and some corn on a cobs. Now that cherry season is over, I’m all into corn on a cob, can’t get enough of it!

When I came back, I wanted a comforting tea. It’s been raining a lot here lately and it’s rather on the cool side.

This tea was purchased during Butiki’s birthday sale.

I’m already a fan of Darjeeling SF, but this has a different profile than a typical second flush.

I don’t get that fruity “grapey” muscatel I normally associate with SF.

Surprisingly, I get bitter chocolate and tobacco mostly, with floral notes.

It’s malty and full bodied. The’s a nice astringent finish, well balanced by the natural sweetness of this tea.

It’s provided a very good afternoon sipping, glad I got 2oz of this.

Pic of the session:

DeliriumsFrogs

I loved the pic!!! :)

boychik

The pot is gorgeous!
Plum season , I love those yellow small plums sweet and sour skin. Yum
I can only get them from Farmers market

TheTeaFairy

Thanks DeleriumFrogs!

Oh! i love those too boychik :-)

Sipdown! (192)
This was really amazing, and then really bitter as it cooled. Why? Why would you do this to me tea! Perhaps I need to play with it more.

Stephanie

interesting

final verdict on this one now that it’s a sipdown? Lovely taste but with an astringency to it that makes it good for me , as a morning tea. I’ll need to have a few more of my other teas before deciding on a final breakfast sort of tea but this one is pretty good :)

I’ve had more to drink but this is all i have time to track at…hopping on a plane in a few hours. Final count before leaving: 95 let’s see what the damage is when i get home haha

Nicole

“Final sort of breakfast tea”

Deciding on a final sort of any tea seems an impossible hope with all the temptations to try new things! :)

Let me live in denial!

Generous sample Stacy included with my surprise package from TeaTiff – thank you.
190F 8oz 3:30 min ( according to Stacy)
I love it. It tastes like a blend of Assam, Darjeeling and Fujian, but in reality it single origin tea. Malty, some florals, some slight citrus and bready chocolate. Amazing that one tea could combine all those flavors and be a little bit of all. If you a fan of Assam/Darjeeling teas I highly recommend you to try this great tea

8 OZ / 236 ML

Oooh, I love Stacy’s samples, they always surprise me, and 9 times out of 10, I end up ordering whatever it is that she’s sent along.

Now, I’ve got some dryness to my mouth right now from the teas I had earlier (one of which had flavoring that I’m allergic to), so I doubt this will be a very accurate read on this tea. It still tastes malty, thick, cocoa-y, and has a hint of honey in there somewhere. While it’s less ka-POW than some blacks I’ve had, it’s still a delicious tea.

Mmm.. Little buttery, little malty, little floral… Others who have said Assam +Darj are very correct. This is an unusual tea without much if any of the dryness typically associated with Darjeelings. While I didn’t try any of the previous Sourenee that Butiki had, this is a very good option from this estate (in my limited experience of 3 Sourenees, anyway).

Butiki Teas

Nicole-I think your package might have the wrong steeping directions. Just in case, the temperature should be 190F. I caught my mistake before the tea went live on the website but I’m not sure if it was before or after you purchased the tea.

Nicole

I actually got one without any label at all. I caught you before you had them labeled. :) I just did it like I’d do most Darjeelings. That was probably on the high side so I’ll do it at 190 next time. Thanks for the info!

OMG, Stacy, this is the best Darj I have EVER tasted!
Please, sir, I want some more…
MOAR???

Butiki Teas

Hahaha! Glad you are enjoying it! :) This one feels like a Dajeeling Assam hybrid to me.

Terri HarpLady

I totally agree!

I can’t thank Stacy enough for sending this sample my way—it’s glorious!
The aroma while steeping was so chocolatey, with floral hints and warm fruits. I feel like I’ve said this a lot this week, but I couldn’t stop smelling it!
My first sip and I was in love. Caramelized peach with soft citrus notes, along with that round, chocolately base that is so, so delicious, made this a perfect cup of tea.
I could drink this every day and be a very happy lady. :)
The finish is light and bright, just enough bite to be interesting—balanced completely with each flavour progression.

I feel so lucky to have had such amazing teas lately (Butiki orders have a way of making me feel super special…like the kid that’s chosen to take home the class hamster for spring break, or something—I ALWAYS wanted to be that kid! ugh), all so good that they’ve been added to my ‘favourites’ list. This tea is no exception.
It. is. a. favourite.

boychik

sounds delish

pyarkaaloo

sounds beautiful. lovely review :)

ifjuly

I love the analogy, haha. And I know exactly what you mean about Butikis—when they come I definitely feel that way, and can’t really explain why precisely. It’s uncanny, isn’t it?