Organic Sourenee Black Blossom

Indian Black Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “fan of this! Since i'm working on figuring out what i want to reorder from Stacy, i figure it's good to occasionally toss in a few of the more recent teas i have from her in to my morning rotation...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4644 tasting notes
  • “Generous sample Stacy included with my surprise package from *TeaTiff* - thank you. 190F 8oz 3:30 min ( according to Stacy) I love it. It tastes like a blend of Assam, Darjeeling and Fujian, but...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 302 tasting notes
  • “Oooh, I love Stacy's samples, they always surprise me, and 9 times out of 10, I end up ordering whatever it is that she's sent along. Now, I've got some dryness to my mouth right now from the...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1107 tasting notes
  • “Mmm.. Little buttery, little malty, little floral... Others who have said Assam +Darj are very correct. This is an unusual tea without much if any of the dryness typically associated with...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 510 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Organic Sourenee Black Blossom originates from the Sourenee Tea Estate, which has been operating for more than 100 years and spans almost 137 hectares. The name Sourenee is derived from the word “sour” a medicinal tree that thrives at the estate and “rani” which means queen of the valley. This second flush Darjeeling is hand plucked, hand rolled, and is graded SFTGFOP (Special Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe). Our Black Blossom is a sweet and full-bodied tea of exceptional quality. Strong baker’s chocolate notes are most prominent and linger long after each sip. This buttery tea has hazelnut, malt, bark, floral, and tobacco notes. Spice notes are present as well as lingering citrus notes.

Ingredients: Indian Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 190 F

For more information, please visit: wwww.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

fan of this! Since i’m working on figuring out what i want to reorder from Stacy, i figure it’s good to occasionally toss in a few of the more recent teas i have from her in to my morning rotation and start to figure out which ones are more likely to be a staple for me. This one? I’m enjoying. I need it a few more times to really land on how i feel about it, but overall it’s a really nice tea AND since it’s not a “boiling water” tea, it means that i can drink it sooner in the morning lol

Generous sample Stacy included with my surprise package from TeaTiff – thank you.
190F 8oz 3:30 min ( according to Stacy)
I love it. It tastes like a blend of Assam, Darjeeling and Fujian, but in reality it single origin tea. Malty, some florals, some slight citrus and bready chocolate. Amazing that one tea could combine all those flavors and be a little bit of all. If you a fan of Assam/Darjeeling teas I highly recommend you to try this great tea

8 OZ / 236 ML

Oooh, I love Stacy’s samples, they always surprise me, and 9 times out of 10, I end up ordering whatever it is that she’s sent along.

Now, I’ve got some dryness to my mouth right now from the teas I had earlier (one of which had flavoring that I’m allergic to), so I doubt this will be a very accurate read on this tea. It still tastes malty, thick, cocoa-y, and has a hint of honey in there somewhere. While it’s less ka-POW than some blacks I’ve had, it’s still a delicious tea.

Mmm.. Little buttery, little malty, little floral… Others who have said Assam +Darj are very correct. This is an unusual tea without much if any of the dryness typically associated with Darjeelings. While I didn’t try any of the previous Sourenee that Butiki had, this is a very good option from this estate (in my limited experience of 3 Sourenees, anyway).

Butiki Teas

Nicole-I think your package might have the wrong steeping directions. Just in case, the temperature should be 190F. I caught my mistake before the tea went live on the website but I’m not sure if it was before or after you purchased the tea.

Nicole

I actually got one without any label at all. I caught you before you had them labeled. :) I just did it like I’d do most Darjeelings. That was probably on the high side so I’ll do it at 190 next time. Thanks for the info!

OMG, Stacy, this is the best Darj I have EVER tasted!
Please, sir, I want some more…
MOAR???

Butiki Teas

Hahaha! Glad you are enjoying it! :) This one feels like a Dajeeling Assam hybrid to me.

Terri HarpLady

I totally agree!

I can’t thank Stacy enough for sending this sample my way—it’s glorious!
The aroma while steeping was so chocolatey, with floral hints and warm fruits. I feel like I’ve said this a lot this week, but I couldn’t stop smelling it!
My first sip and I was in love. Caramelized peach with soft citrus notes, along with that round, chocolately base that is so, so delicious, made this a perfect cup of tea.
I could drink this every day and be a very happy lady. :)
The finish is light and bright, just enough bite to be interesting—balanced completely with each flavour progression.

I feel so lucky to have had such amazing teas lately (Butiki orders have a way of making me feel super special…like the kid that’s chosen to take home the class hamster for spring break, or something—I ALWAYS wanted to be that kid! ugh), all so good that they’ve been added to my ‘favourites’ list. This tea is no exception.
It. is. a. favourite.

boychik

sounds delish

pyarkaaloo

sounds beautiful. lovely review :)

ifjuly

I love the analogy, haha. And I know exactly what you mean about Butikis—when they come I definitely feel that way, and can’t really explain why precisely. It’s uncanny, isn’t it?

This was a super generous sample Stacy threw in with my order! Thank you!

So, one tea type I wouldn’t have thought to request from Butiki is Darjeeling, not because I haven’t liked the one or two I’ve tried (I definitely have—the Giddahapar Extra Special is one of my all-time favorite Darjs!), but because it’s one of those nostalgic comfort food types I don’t really need luxe versions of to enjoy, if that makes any sense. Plus, I still have approximately 8 billion different kinds from that massive Teabox sampler (I love that thing). I tend to look to Butiki for flavored stuff I can’t find anywhere else, or for some of the, to me anyway as a newbie, innovative or more niche tea types being made around the world (like, who even knew Japan makes pu erh? I didn’t!). Turns out though, this is riiiiiight up my alley. It’s all the things I love in a Darj—it’s got a clean, lightly floral element at the end of the sip, and that woody aspect I adore is so beautiful here, not so much a dry raspy woodiness (although there is that and I’m glad), but also a deeper, almost mossy, damp sort of wood, a little like wet forest bark. And you know how I’m always going on about how some of my favorite black teas straddle the line between the woody astringency of Indian legacy teas and the sweet smooth starchiness of Chinese tea? This does that beautifully; there’s a yeasted bread/grain aroma I associate with Chinese tea and a soft fullness, but it balances with those woody clean Darjeeling notes. A beautiful morning tea that inspires contemplation, ideal given today’s Friday.

ETA: I like Stacy’s description of how it almost feels more like an Assam at the beginning and a Darjeeling at the end. That’s a really good way of putting it! The first whiff is rich and sweet and hints at chocolate like a good Assam, the middle is that woodiness that is both Darj-y but beyond the usual, almost wet, then I get the starchiness, and then the end is when the sparkly clean notes one associates with Darjeeling come in full and linger.

DeliriumsFrogs

ooooh! This was in my box, too… I can’t wait to try it! Your description (the different types of woodiness are great…) has me knowing I will love it. :)

Sami Kelsh

This sounds ridiculously sexy. I want to go to there!

ifjuly

haha, i love your comments Sami Kelsh. if you like darjeeling, it’s a lovely one!

DeliriumsFrogs, we are butiki twins! i smiled when i saw your golden paw write up ’cause i had it yesterday, a freebie from Stacy. need to log it soon. i know i keep saying it but it is SO FUN getting to read your impressions now. :D

Thought I would give a short review of this since it came up today and we will be selling it online shortly-ish. Right now I’m doing anything to avoid working on taxes which really need to be done. Must do taxes today and not get distracted by everything else. The things I’ve done in order to avoid taxes. Definitely the worst part of this job.

On to the best part, tasting tea. This tea is somewhat similar to our Organic Sourenee Second Flush with one huge difference it is way more forgiving and less astringent. The regular version of Sourenee needs to be brewed with precision or it can taste very bitter. I think this is why we had very mixed reviews and feedback of that tea. It was difficult to get it to the precise spot where it was perfect but when you did, it was amazing. This tea is much more forgiving and based on memory it is sweeter, less astringent, and has a much fuller body. Mmmmm, this is super buttery, chocolatey, woody, with a hint of floral at the end of the sip. It is also a little bit malty. In some ways this reminds me more of an Assam than a Darjeeling until the end of the sip, which it becomes unmistakably Darjeeling. This cup is certainly hitting the spot right now. Delicious! I’m so glad we picked up this tea, even though we were really late to the game.

In addition to this tea, we have some other teas that are slated to be added to the website soon. We are bringing back the Birthday Cake herbal for a limited time but also adding a Baked Ali Shan and a Fu Shou Shan (which is our answer to missing out on the Da Yu Ling this year, really could kick myself for missing that). We still need to add the Lattakoojan Assam but there is very minimal prep work needed to be done before that goes online.

…..soooooo your best guess on all the new teas being up? :) planning an order and I’d rather wait than miss out on things heh

Butiki Teas

Probably 2-3 months for everything, including all of the flavored teas we are still workingon.

:) ok! two orders it is hahaha

Hahaha. :)

well i need to place my yearly “yay it’s mine and stacy’s birthday order!”

tigress_al

Yum and yum, they all sound good!