Lemon French Macaron

White Tea
Cake, Candy, Lemon, Pastries, Sweet, Cream, Almond, Champagne, Creamy, Cookie, Honey, Lemon Zest, Vanilla, Marzipan
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I got a few more teas at the end of the month, and this is one of them. (And yes--I'm aware that Black Friday will be falling within my November no-buy, but willpower is nothing if it hasn't been...” Read full tasting note
    yingru 148 tasting notes
  • “Ohhh, this is amazing. With Stacy's retirement around the corner, I was prompted to order a ton of it and not hoard the 2 oz. I have already (plus I already went through 1 oz. of it in a previous...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 848 tasting notes
  • “The flavored tea selection in my sipdown pile is getting frightfully sparse, so I allowed myself to have one of my yet-untried Butiki teas tonight. I decided on this one because I am always on the...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 708 tasting notes
  • “I don't know what to make of this tea. It smells amazing, like the lemon candies I got with my mom on vacation when I was younger. Brewed, there is something that I'm having a hard time with, and...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 613 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This tea was created by the winner of our Custom Blend Contest. In October of 2013, we held a contest to send in ideas for a custom blend. A panel of judges chose the 10 best ideas and we created a poll on our site. The concept for this tea won the most votes, so we worked with the winner, Mary, to create her dream blend. This tea embodies the flavor of a lemon flavored French macaron and has rich cream and sweet cake notes. Almond notes can be found weaving their way through each sip of this decadent dessert tea but give way to mild French vanilla and malty notes. Lemon is the most prominent flavor and is mellow at first but then finishes tart. The zing of the lemon and creaminess linger long after each sip. We recommend sipping this tea at cooler temperatures. Adding sugar will mellow the lemon and transform the tea into a dessert treat.

Ingredients: White Indian Tea, Almond Slivers, Amaranth, Organic Calendula, Organic Natural Flavoring (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 180 F

For more info, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

I got a few more teas at the end of the month, and this is one of them. (And yes—I’m aware that Black Friday will be falling within my November no-buy, but willpower is nothing if it hasn’t been tested, right?)

This tea has a lovely lemon dessert aroma—very zesty and natural, and more like the lemon cream filling of cookies than raw fruit. There are some almond slices in the mix, which lend it a marzipan-like aroma as well. Macaron as a name seems just right! The tea itself is comprised of long silver needles, and there are also a lot of flowers in the mix, though I’m not sure if they’re decorational or if they add any flavor.

The brewed tea tastes delightfully lemony. The cream note is fainter than the aroma would indicate, so it’s more similar to lemon drop candies. It’s not over-the-top or tart, and I can’t think of a better dessert-like lemon tea. Now with this tea, unlike with Watermelon Xylophone, it’s harder for me to taste the underlying tea base. Usually in a flavored white tea this is something I would avoid, but this one is just so perfectly balanced that it’s hard to find fault with. A second, cooler steep does bring out a lighter sweetness that isn’t just the lemon.

Ohhh, this is amazing. With Stacy’s retirement around the corner, I was prompted to order a ton of it and not hoard the 2 oz. I have already (plus I already went through 1 oz. of it in a previous order and still managed to not write about it until now).

The leaves smell out of this world, like lemon pie with a sliver of almond. I’m on my third steep (which I raaaaaarely do, so you know I want to stretch out a tea when I start resteeping) and while it’s already noticeably subtler in lemon sugar flavour, the base isn’t going bitter or wonky on me.

My mom isn’t normally a tea person. But you know what? When she smelled this and heard Stacy is shuttin’ ’er down, she told me to snap up twelve freaking ounces, six each. That is how good this is, just so you know.

CHAroma

I’m seriously going to spend somewhere around $130-200 on a Butiki order. I wish she’d sell the business instead of just shutting it down. She’s one of my all-time favorite tea vendors.

Fjellrev

Yeah, mine easily came to around $150, and that was being stingy with some of the blends. Selling the business is a great idea. There will never be another Stacy. EVAR.

CHAroma

Let’s all bombard her with e-mails to sell!

I don’t know that I’d trust her teas and vision in the hands of another…

The flavored tea selection in my sipdown pile is getting frightfully sparse, so I allowed myself to have one of my yet-untried Butiki teas tonight. I decided on this one because I am always on the lookout for the perfect lemon tea, and I love all things almond. The dry leaf is quite artistic with greenish silver needles along with tiny pink flower petals and a few slices of almond. Dry scent is fantastically similar to lemondrop candies with a little bit of a nod to cake. I followed the instructions and steeped 2 teaspoons for 3 minutes at 185 degrees.

Yum, the aroma! It conjures up visions of a lovely tart lemon cake dripping with sugary sweet glaze. Om nom nom! I tried the first few sips plain, but then added a tad bit of sugar just to help the pastry side of this come out. Overall, I must say that this came out a little bit too light for me – next time I will use more leaf. I wish that Stacy included the amount of tea in grams as well as teaspoons in her instructions, since large fluffy teas like this one are difficult to measure by volume. I will say that the flavor here is really quite lovely! It tastes very similar to lemondrop candies with a little bit of cake or pastry reference in there. Very yummy, but next time, more leaf! :)

Flavors: Cake, Candy, Lemon, Pastries, Sweet

christeana1

Love this tea!

I don’t know what to make of this tea. It smells amazing, like the lemon candies I got with my mom on vacation when I was younger. Brewed, there is something that I’m having a hard time with, and I’m not sure what. I had one brew last night, but I had to leave my travel mug in the car during the film (Doctor Who: Deep Breath, if anyone is interested) and it cooled off. I had thought I liked it better hot, so I made it again tonight, with a little extra leaf since I was using a 12oz mug.

I really want to like this, but something is amiss, and I don’t know what. I have enough for a few steeps left, though I need to make sure that I save enough for CrowKettle to try.

OMGsrsly

I prefer it with less leaf, hot. Otherwise I find it can get almost soapy. Of course, I have lemon soap in my bathroom right now, so it might just be association. :)

First time in a while I’ve actually sat down with some teas to review! Exciting! Lately, I’ve just been drinking thermoses of tea at work, and haven’t had time to review anything (although maybe I’ll make a bit of backlog progress tonight?)

Anyhow, I received the teas from Butiki’s awesome birthday sale recently, and have been waiting to try a few of them until I had some time, since I don’t think it’s fair to review such delicious/delicately flavoured teas in travel mugs. Usually, well-known and/or robust teas are reserved for that drinking format. Therefore, I’m only just getting to try this delicious-sounding tea tonight!

I wasn’t sure exactly what to anticipate from a lemon/macaron tea – creamy lemon would be my best guess (I was hoping macaroon, which would involve coconut, but no luck). Anyhow, the lemony aroma from the leaves and my cup of tea is quite powerful, but in a good way – sometimes I’ve found that citrus-flavoured teas can be a bit reminiscent of cleaning products, but thankfully that’s not the case here (of course not, this is Butiki!) I can’t really detect anything aside from lemon other than maybe a hint of creaminess. Flavourwise, it’s pretty much the same – strong lemon flavour with some creaminess to round it out. I’m not noticing any real contribution to the flavour from the almond slices in the tea – perhaps my inadvertently low infusion temperature is a bit to blame for that, as I got distracted and the water cooled about 7C more than I was intending. I’m also not noticing any particular contribution from the base tea, but I have yet to try it on its own; doing so might help me in that respect.

Overall, although this is a tasty enough tea, there’s not really enough going on in it for me. For a lemony white tea, I’m still partial to DavidsTea’s Coco Lemon Thai, which is perhaps not a fair comparison, as it has far more ingredients and therefore depth of flavour, but at this point, it’s not a re-order for me. I do have a whole bag, so will have a few more opportunities to tweak things, and maybe that will change my opinion!

A sample! I’ve been dreaming of Butiki’s White Rhino so I will probably be drinking a ton of white teas. Also, I found a song called ‘White Rhino Tea’… I forget the band now, but that was amusing. This blend sounds divine, but I think I could have used more flavor from the white tea, the lemon and the almond. I wasn’t tasting too much almond. Really, a good Bai mu Dan tea might have had enough lemon flavor in it as is. Or maybe even the White Rhino would have been a nice base, but White Rhino would be a nice base for many things. Again, not doing this tea any justice with this tasting note, as I sipped this one a couple days ago. This one doesn’t have the Butiki magic that I expect, I guess. I’m planning a Butiki order, though I really shouldn’t.. at least until after January!

This is the most delicious lemon tea I have ever had – it is like liquid lemon drops. Smooth, sweet and creamy. And of course deliciously lemony. Mmm!

I cold brewed this for about 8 hours overnight.
This is delicious! This is even better than I was imagining it to be. It is of course lemon, but it is soft and smooth, not sour like lemons usually are. I am definitely getting a bit of nutty, buttery pastry. YUM!
I will also have to try this a hot brew!

(EEE!! I got my order!)

Oh. My. God.

This smells SO good!

Why didn’t I buy lots for me as well as my BFF?! This tea is fantastic! I love it. LOVE it. Possibly even more than Watermelon Xylophone.

Delicious and amazing creamy lemon pastry-ness.

I steeped a cup, then took the leaves and put them into 16oz cool water for a cold steep. Fingers crossed!

Flavors: Cream, Lemon, Pastries

Cameron B.

I ordered this one and I haven’t tried it yet… Silly me! :P

OMGsrsly

The height of foolishness. ;) As you can no doubt tell, I like it lots. Not completely sold on the cold steep yet. Maybe in the morning.

DeliriumsFrogs

This one really does smell SO good! yummy!! :)

Cavocorax

Eeeeee! My order should be here soon. :) I can’t wait to dig in!

OMGsrsly

Try it! I think Sil liked it cold steeped, but it’s not a favourite for me. But I think I can get 3 steeps or so out of the leaves, so I’m not too upset. :)

As I sit here in my whitewashed four-walled apartment listening to Geto Boys’ perennial classic “Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangsta” and drinking Stacy’s Lemon French Macaron, everything seems right in the world. A perfect pairing it seems – oh how tea and music is bound together so exquisitely!

This tea is a smelling-tea. The bouquet screams of sweetness and fresh-clipped roses. A single sniff shall send you, smothered in blankets, to your childhood once again.

The taste is not quite as strong as the smell, but is still pleasant. A note to the wise here, though – it is AWFULLY difficult to measure out the teaspoons of this wonderfully tippy tea. A bunch of silver needle-esque leaves there are in there! I tried my best to carefully measure out 4 teaspoons into 500mL of water, but I feel like I got most of the thin almond slices and other garnish in my infuser rather than the tea itself.

Thus, be prepared to experiment with the time and amount of tea/water you steep!

In sooth, the tea soothes. A natural transition into a little Pharoahe Monch after you get a little buzz going from that Geto Boys song.

Flavors: Almond, Champagne, Cream