Kenya Obsidian

Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “had a go at this one this morning. I'm struggling to get ready to leave the house, mostly because i don't want to. So i pulled this one out of the cupboard, hoping it would have enough bite to...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4889 tasting notes
  • “Hmmm. I think there is something in the Kenyan teas which I do not really care for. This tea is ok, but malty/strong in a way that I'm not crazy about. Good to know! I'm happy I split this with...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1681 tasting notes
  • “A sample from Butiki! I love Kenyan teas, so if Butiki is offering it, it must be a good one. The leaves here are small but not CTC small. Sadly, the only flavor I'm getting yet again is tomato...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1342 tasting notes
  • “This is a nice basic black tea. It has a deep, malty flavor that reminds me quite a bit of Assam, with some undertones of dried apricot. I can’t say I picked up on any grapefruit—that bit of the...” Read full tasting note
    greenteafairy 198 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Kenyan Obsidian originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kangaita, Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. This complex tea has mahogany, apricot, biscuit, malt, spice, and roasted notes. Grapefruit notes appear towards the end of each sip and linger. We highly recommend our Kenya Obsidian as a breakfast tea or iced tea.

Ingredients: Kenya Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 2 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

had a go at this one this morning. I’m struggling to get ready to leave the house, mostly because i don’t want to. So i pulled this one out of the cupboard, hoping it would have enough bite to it, to get me going. Turns out, this is a decent black, with a little brightness to it…not sure how else to describe it. I can see this turning bitter fairly easily if over steeped. It was exactly what i needed to get going this morning, but in the grand scheme of things, i prefer other teas from stacy :)

Hmmm. I think there is something in the Kenyan teas which I do not really care for. This tea is ok, but malty/strong in a way that I’m not crazy about. Good to know! I’m happy I split this with Sil! (142)

…and that is why joint orders make me happy

Cavocorax

Yes! I can’t believe how well I’ve been doing for orders though! It’s ALMOST been a month.

awesome! :)

on that note..uh you have a bunch of teas here to pick up hahahaha

Cavocorax

I still just want to order for the sake of ordering though. Had to resist WP even though I still have plenty! :P /0\

What…. wait? What? :O
LOL. Thank you.

Cavocorax

But I have NOTHING for you. Unless you want to try Sleeping Bear? Or some other WP?

dude..like i care. sharing is caring :) and yes i’d love to try that, but i’ll also be buying it in september because brendan and the teafairy made me :)

Hahahhaha. <3

A sample from Butiki! I love Kenyan teas, so if Butiki is offering it, it must be a good one. The leaves here are small but not CTC small. Sadly, the only flavor I’m getting yet again is tomato soup. Kenyan teas don’t usually taste like tomato soup! Many of the samples from Butiki did… I’m wondering if it’s a tea within the pouch of samples that could be changing the flavors? Nothing in my experience could do that though. Maybe one of my infusers is doing it? But other teas taste fine in that infuser. It’s like tea torture only being able to taste the tomato soup of these teas, and I’m kind of sick of mentioning it. I also had another assam to see if it tastes the same and it had the same delicious flavor as before, so I don’t know. My taste buds are destroying these teas.
Steep #1 // few minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 or 4 min

This is a nice basic black tea. It has a deep, malty flavor that reminds me quite a bit of Assam, with some undertones of dried apricot. I can’t say I picked up on any grapefruit—that bit of the official description had me intrigued—but it makes for a solid morning cup nonetheless.

Love this one. Rich, strong, sweet, and complex. This tea definitely shines with a longer brewing time. I tried 2:30 for my first cup and didn’t really get much, but I did 3:45 this morning got so many delicious flavors! Lovely.

Flavors: Pumpkin, spice, fruit, malt, and honey.

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML