Kenya Obsidian

Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Kenyan Obsidian originates from the Mount Kenya tea region in Kangaita, Kenya. Tea is grown at 5,000 to 7,000 feet above sea level in this region, where the soil is rich with minerals. This complex tea has mahogany, apricot, biscuit, malt, spice, and roasted notes. Grapefruit notes appear towards the end of each sip and linger. We highly recommend our Kenya Obsidian as a breakfast tea or iced tea.

Ingredients: Kenya Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 2 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit:

About Butiki Teas View company

1961 tasting notes

Sample from Kittenna. Thank you!

Finished it up today, and while I liked it I didn’t love it. Of course, burning my tongue on my quesadilla might have contributed to that, but it was fairly astringent/bitter/something I didn’t love. I didn’t add milk to it because I just wasn’t feeling it.

Still, I’m sad that one more Butiki tea is gone from my cupboard.

Captain’s Personal Log-

My replicator seems only capable of making hot earl grey. While fortunate when we had a visiting Captain, not my preferred beverage. And there is only so much raktajino I can drink. Then I found this on a recent Shore Leave. Scent- I get some malt, and baked bread. The flavour is similar, with a hint of spice.
My First Officer says there are apricots, and I get some as the tea cools. Will have to make sure the Mess Hall has some on hand before our next mission.

-End log

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Malt, Spices

Make it so, Number One.

I am definitely getting baked bread and cinnamon as I sip but the aftertaste left behind is much earthier. It’s quite good but there are other blacks I would reach for first and thus I am not sad to see this go. Still it was fun to try so thank you Kittenna for the sample.

Last tea in my Butiki order! D:
So the dry leaf smell of this one was kinda bready, which I wasn’t expecting. For some reason I was not expecting to like this at all. I was expecting it to be woody and earthy for some reason….where I got that idea…I don’t know. xD So the dry leaf smell really threw me off.
And the actual taste even more!
It was kinda earthy and woody, but there was still a lot of malt. Not as much as Crimson Horizon but there was still a lot more than I expected!
Not my absolute favorite, and not something that I’m gonna only save for special occasions or something. It’s good, but not my favorite.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Earth, Malt, Wood

This is yummy. It is toasty and bready and really good for a winter morning. I imagine it would not go well to oversteep this, as it already is pretty strong. I will enjoy what I have of this for sure, but I probably won’t notice overmuch when it is gone, unlike so many other Butiki teas in my cabinet.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is a nice, mellow cup for me. It has a sweet, comforting smell (much more prominent with the dry leaf) and I’m so happy I picked it. The taste isn’t as strong as I expected, considering the smell, but I may not have steeped it long enough/used quite enough leaf (I only bought 1/2 an oz so I’m being a little stingy perhaps). My only other experience with a Kenyan tea is Davidstea’s Kenyan Tinderet which I didn’t care for at all (it was very bitter).

Sipdown (122)!

I believe this was one that came free with one of the group orders we did, and then just kind of got split up between the people in the order?

I made mine yesterday morning to drink on the ride to work; I saw in the description this is recommended as a breakfast blend and my morning tea to work is as close to a breakfast tea as I usually get; so that seemed like a good match. Definitely debated drinking this with milk, especially after reading Kittenna’s review, but ultimately went with a straight mug.

Sipping on it, all I could think with this blend was that it was very bready tasting with lots of cinnamon notes, and maybe even nutmeg? I’ve reread Stacy’s description for this tea and I can see that I was probably experiencing the “Spice” and “Biscuit” notes she described; but I think I missed out on the other things she’s made note of.

I don’t know – this was nice, but not overly complex or layered in my opinion. Overall I suppose I’d probably just call it somewhat average. Part of me is relieved by that; I don’t have to worry about getting more. If that’s even still an option for this one; I don’t know if it’s sold out yet. I have enough leaf left for a very small cup; but I’m going to pass it on to a coworker named Nathan. I’ve been sharing tea with him for a while now; he’s a bit of a tea snob in his own right (he literally wont drink anything but tea), though his main interest is Chai.

So far his favourite tea I’ve shared with him has been Latkes and Applesauce, coincidentally also from Butiki. I think he’ll appreciate this one though!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Nutmeg

Yes, you assumed correctly. I just split between those involved, and someone got the last of the package in their box. I don’t remember who. :P I had my single cup.

The studying is never-ending. I’ve not had coffee since Halloween. Enter Kenyan black tea.

This one is surprisingly creamy, while still the typical deep, dark Kenyan black. Quite enjoyable. A nice boost to get me through the next few hours.

Good luck with the studying!

Free tea with the last joint Butiki order! This counts as an immediate sipdown (yay!) because there’s probably only enough for a cup’s worth for each person in on the order.

Anyhow, this is a tea I hadn’t tried, which is exciting! Wasn’t sure what to expect (except maybe, a super dark liquor), and was bad and defied the recommendations, opting to go with my standard 1.5tsp/2min route instead of 1tsp/2.5min. The result is lighter than I had expected, being only the regular colour of black tea (dark reddish brown). The aroma is quite nice, all fragrant and sweet – sweet hay, perhaps? Flavourwise, it’s perhaps a bit overly strong (ok Stacy, you win this time! :P) and certainly has a powerful presence, verging on astringency but not into the realm of unpleasantness. Specifically, it tastes like the sort of black tea I’m not overly fond of… like bagged Lipton/Tetley. Obviously higher quality and lacking bitterness, but the same flavour profile. To be honest, it comes off a bit like mold to me, but when I say that, I’m referring to the flavour profile as a whole, not just this specific tea. Just not a profile I’m fond of, and would typically add milk/sugar, which would erase any weirdness.

Overall, I maybe brewed this a bit too strong, but I doubt proper brewing would change my opinion on it. Just not a black for me!

This came to me as a freebie with my order! Thanks Stacy!

Artichoke! I think I taste artichoke at the start of the sip. I get a bit of malt at the end of the sip. The first few sips had a little bite, but it mellowed out quickly. The aftertaste is interesting too in a way I can’t describe. This is the type of tea that I go crazy for with cream and sugar. I feel like I’m disrespecting the tea a little by doing that, but… I’m going to do it anyway. And you can’t stop me. I did it! And it’s delicious. Creamy artichoke! And buttery. I do love artichoke. I have had so much tea this morning that I think it’s making me a little loopy!

aisling of tea

I love a good tea high!

Wow. 7 different Butiki teas reviewed in a row on my dashboard :) By 5 different people.

^Who knew closing shop would be so good for business and hype?! I’m about to make a second “last” order!