1994 Aged Bai Hao

Oolong Tea
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I finally got to this tea… I just have so much that it is hard to know what to drink next! This tea brews quite easily; in the past I had to tinker with the 1991 aged oolong Butiki had...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 457 tasting notes
  • “Oy, this tea was so delicious. Was, sadly, seeing that I didn’t bother writing about it until my very last cup. I was a huge fan of Oriental Beauty, so naturally, this also had to...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1142 tasting notes
  • “Got this ages ago as a gift from Stacey, am only trying it now as I threw it into a bag with a bunch of other samples to taste while traveling to see family. So…. not sure what the deal is...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1349 tasting notes
  • “Wow, I’m getting really different flavours from this than everyone else. Interesting! I’m steeping it gongfu style, 4g of tea in a 100ml gaiwan. I did a quick rinse, then the first...” Read full tasting note
    smallstar42 244 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our 1994 Aged Bai Hao originates from a family that has been in the tea growing business for 3 generations in Taiwan. Harvested in the summer of 1994, this aged oolong is heavily oxidized (approximately 70-75%) and utilizes the Chin Xin oolong varietal. Roasted cocoa bean notes dominate this full-bodied tea followed by sweet honey notes. Powdered sugar and woody notes are also present. This tea is almost dessert-like, resembling baker’s chocolate with honey drizzled on top. We highly recommend gongfu brewing for best results.

Ingredients: Taiwanese Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 185 F

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

This tea brews quite easily; in the past I had to tinker with the 1991 aged oolong Butiki had because I messed it up.
There is little aroma to this tea which is interesting. The taste is pure and very smooth. While the flavor is quite enjoyable, there is a dryness that is left in the mouth after a sip is taken. That part of the tea is unfortunate because it is one smooth aged oolong that I will continue to enjoy as I have quite a bit left :)
Maybe I’ll get crazy and cold steep this (not really though)

Oy, this tea was so delicious. Was, sadly, seeing that I didn’t bother writing about it until my very last cup. I was a huge fan of Oriental Beauty, so naturally, this also had to be mine. It was so cocoa-y and roasty, smooth and rich. I’m going to miss it so.

Got this ages ago as a gift from Stacey, am only trying it now as I threw it into a bag with a bunch of other samples to taste while traveling to see family. So…. not sure what the deal is with this, but it was just a meh for me. Nothing special, nothing amazing, no special flavors that popped… just tea. Really. A bit shocked to be honest.

MissB

Oh. Crap. JUST noticed this is an oolong, which is likely why Stacey sent it (normally I feel violently ill within minutes of drinking oolong tea). This might explain why I’ve felt like death warmed over since I had this yesterday?

Indigobloom

Oh no, feel better soon!!

Wow, I’m getting really different flavours from this than everyone else. Interesting! I’m steeping it gongfu style, 4g of tea in a 100ml gaiwan. I did a quick rinse, then the first steeping was maybe 20-30sec (?), second was probably about 1min, third I actually timed for 2min. Water temp varied from 85-95C.

The predominant flavours I get from this are earth and apples. But like, not fresh apples, cooked ones. It’s kind of like walking through an apple orchard in the fall, after a rain, where you have the scent of wet earth and the soft apples on the ground. There’s a bit of honey sweetness in this tea, but not a lot. When I stick my nose in the cup after drinking all the tea, I get a sweet carmelized sugar scent, but I’m not getting a lot of that in the actual flavour. And I’m getting no cocoa from this whatsoever. Fascinating! I’ll have to try steeping it a few other ways, I don’t think I’ve found optimal parameters for this tea yet.

4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I am so happy Stacy sent me 1/2 an oz of this as a bonus with my last order! The only downside is that I really love it, and now I can’t get more ):

I was born in 1994, which makes this tea extra special – it’s the same age as me! Give or take a few months, probably. I love oolongs, particularly the darker roasty ones, but I think this might be my first foray into the world of aged oolongs. It is definitely a good introduction. The dry leaf smells quite musty and definitely ‘old’, which made me a little wary, but steeping this completely transforms. Then it’s all nutty and cocoa. Sooo yummy! I could inhale it all day. The cocoa notes come through in the sip, and to me are the most prominent, along with the nutty notes I identified in the scent too. There is a noticeable hay note, which I would have expected more from a white tea, but I think Bai Hao means ‘white tips’ so perhaps that’s why I’m getting that note. It actually reminds me of an aged Bai Mu Dan I have, so on the other hand maybe the ageing is where that similarity comes from. I am very happy to have gotten to try this, and will definitely look out for more aged oolongs in the future. If I had one negative about this, it’s that the second steep doesn’t hold up so well when brewed western style. I’m drinking my resteep now and the flavour is mostly unchanged but a little less chocolatey and a whole lot weaker. Fingers crossed it’ll hold up better when I try it gongfu style – that is what Stacy recommends, after all.

Kittenna

I also noted it did not hold up well to a resteep western-style.

Nattie

Hmm. Definitely trying it gongfu next time.

Another tea that I can’t write a great note for due to not remembering, but that I believe I enjoyed, and am happy to have a fair amount of. I thiiiiink that I didn’t brew it long enough the first time (recommended 4 minutes, I used 3), so I’ll alter that next time. Resteep seemed pretty weak, too.

This is really lovely! It has a very mild taste. Quietly pleasant, with a little sweetness.

My second order from Butiki has arrived! And I am beyond excited to dig into everything. I started off today with this oolong. I prepared it according to the instructions with the rinse and all. In my opinion, the hot tea tasted sweet and a bit like raisins. It reminded me a lot of the 1991 Da Ye Aged Oolong from Butiki. I only got more chocolate-y notes as the tea was cooling down. These tastes seem to diverge from the majority opinion based on a quick browsing through others’ tasting notes on this tea. I may try this one in a makeshift gong fu style next time to see if this changes. Oh, and I also resteeped it about three times Western style before it started to lose too much flavor. Perhaps I will even do more of a side by side comparison with the 1991 oolong. I’m loving my adventuring into aged oolongs so far!

steepster need to stop eating my notes. i KNOW i’ve had this before. grrrrrrr. anyway, i picked this one today as 1 of my two puerh choices for the day…until of course i realise that this is an oolong LOL.

Oh well, i’ll find time to have another lol

This tea is delicious. it’s chocolate, sugar sweetness and it’s ALLL MINE. this..this is an oolong that is not an oolong. love it. will need to get more.

TheTeaFairy

That’s the one I chose for the mug contest, can’t wait to try it!

it’s delicious!

WHOA! Thanks for the sample Stacy

This tea tastes like a chocolate donut dusted in powdered sugar! I had no idea an oxidized aged oolong could be this good! The scent of the liquor is amazingly strong cocoa. This is going on my shopping list :)

I was a gawky awkward 13 year old when this tea was picked. How special!

boychik

Sounds amazing!

TeaTiff

Haha, you must be born in the same awesome year as me! This one is on my list, soon enough.

Stephanie

Such a good tea.

mrmopar

Youngsters….

caile

haha, I was just thinking the same thing mrmopar. ;)