Hong Yun Black

Apricot, Floral, Honey, Malt, Pastries, Plums, Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Not sure how I missed logging this. I have been having it every other morning. Such a mellow and deep taste to start the day with. Malty, yeasty pastries with fruit and honey. /drool This is...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 540 tasting notes
  • “A sample from *Maripan*. The scent is nicely malty. There is a malty taste too, along with a little bit of plum. It is a bit on the strong side, but good for after breakfast. ” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 454 tasting notes
  • “I shared a mini gongfu session of this with my husband over the weekend. It was reaaaallly tasty. My husband liked it so much I actually let him drink most of it, haha! All I can tell you for now...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 972 tasting notes
  • “This sample came from the generous and lovely *Stephanie*. Must try all of the Butiki teas! Especially the straight blacks. :D This looks similar to the Taiwanese Assams I have from Butiki, it...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 711 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Hong Yun Black originates from Yuchih in Nantou, Taiwan. This fully oxidized tea is lightly roasted and AAA graded. Hong Yun Black utilizes the Hong Yun #21 varietal, which was recently developed by the Taiwan Research and Extension Station. This rare varietal is a cross between wild Assamica and Keemun. Sweet fresh apricot and honey notes dominate but are not overwhelming due to the contrasting malt notes. This tea is sweet, light, and strong. Oak, raisin, and roasted barley notes are also present. Hong Yun Black is not eligible as a free sample.

Ingredients: Taiwan Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

This is another I’m going to be stuck between wanting to drink it all the time and hoarding it because I can’t get any more of it!

Ysaurella

sounds lovely – it’s a pity !

A sample from Maripan. The scent is nicely malty. There is a malty taste too, along with a little bit of plum. It is a bit on the strong side, but good for after breakfast.

Stephanie

It’s supposed to be amazing gongfu style

All I can tell you for now is the list of flavors that people have noted on this tea is pretty accurate. Good times :D

Cameron B.

I like this one a lot. Thanks for the sample! :D

boychik

Get him addicted. I’m working baby steps with my hubby. Yesterday I shared some DHP . He said he liked it.

This sample came from the generous and lovely Stephanie. Must try all of the Butiki teas! Especially the straight blacks. :D This looks similar to the Taiwanese Assams I have from Butiki, it has those “creepy tree branch” leaves. I wondered how this differs from other similar-looking teas, so I looked at the website. Apparently this tea is a cross between Assam and Keemun, which is very cool. I don’t really get any smell from the dry leaves. I noticed that the website recommends 2 teaspoons per 8 oz, so I “underwatered” a bit for my sample, as it looked to be about a teaspoon.

The brewed tea smells lovely – apricots, dark dried fruits, and honey. My first though after tasting this was… yum! Lol. This may be the fruitiest black tea I’ve had yet. Very strong apricot and plum flavor with a generous amount of honey over the top. There’s a little wisp of floral near the end of the sip, which I have found in a couple of Keemun teas before. At first, I didn’t think I was finding a lot of Assam in here, as I’ve found more fruitiness in Keemuns I’ve tried. However, as the tea started to cool a bit, I started to taste that amazing pastry-like waffle flavor that I found in the Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black yesterday. Oh, hello Assam! So I would recommend trying this tea warm for a different flavor profile. :D

Flavors: Apricot, Floral, Honey, Malt, Pastries, Plums

Nicole

Mmm. This sounds good.

Cameron B.

It is quite good if you enjoy fruity! A bit pricey but I think I would order it anyway as a nice light, fruity tea for afternoon. :)

Tealizzy

I LOVE this one!!!

Cameron B.

Tealizzy, it’s definitely tasty! I’m tempted to but it on my order list so I can try it with the recommended 2 teaspoons. I love apricots and plums! :D

Sipdown! (206)
I steeped this twice today and rather enjoyed it but now that it’s gone I can’t remember what it was that made it so good.

Guess I’ll just have to buy more?

Courtney

I want to try this one, but it is so expensive! I am still contemplating adding it into my order though.

Cavocorax

I looked and yeah, it’s more expensive than I remember! I checked and it’s about the same as Taiwan Tea Crafts so I guess it’s just an A+ fancy tea. I’ll want to buy some eventually but I’ll save it for a sale!

2015 tasting notes

I made this so I could try a side-by-side comparison with the TTC Hong Yun. Ultimately I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy both Hong Yun teas. I can tell there is a difference between the two but it is so minimal that I can’t pinpoint what exactly it is. At the end of the day, the two are close enough that I would be happy with either or. Thank you Cavocorax for the chance to try both of them!

Sami Kelsh

These sound so nice.

Cavocorax

I’m glad you did the comparison too because I have trouble differentiating them!

VariaTEA

Thank goodness it is not just me. I was like the only reason I know these are two different teas is because I had them side by side.

Cavocorax

Haha. Yeah, I was hoping buying all those black teas would help me nail the difference but not yet. Maybe I need a cheat=sheet by my desk with a list of the most common notes so I can mentally Y/N them all as I sip?

Many thanks to Stacy for sending this to me. An order with you will be placed in the near future!

Dry leaf aroma: Grape, peach, honey
Dry leaf appearance: Largeish leaf. Pretty consistent leaf size
Wet leaf aroma: Fruit intensified, new sweet spice aroma not present in dry
Liquor: Dark,clear orange.
Liquor aroma: wet leaf, less intense
Taste: Fruit and malt cooperate perfectly. Spice is present too. Reminds me of lighter Oriental Beauties. very pleasant

Note 1: Messed up first two steeps, this is a very delicate tea!
Note 2: I think this will make a wonderful cold steeped tea once I finish gongfu

Overall: A lighter black tea that should appeal to oolong and black tea lovers alike. Similar profile to a good Oriental Beauty with some malt.

Flavors: Fruity, Malt

Mmmmm! Yummy fruity honey malty deliciousness! I gong fu’d this one today and it lasted for several steepings. Watch that second one though, as it does that thing puerhs do and gets stronger in that steep. 30-sec steeps work great!

I’m so sad Butiki is closing…such a great company! We’ll miss you!

Yes, sadness!

Butiki Teas

I’ll miss you guys too :)

I’m loving this tea lately. It’s kind of like a cross between our Premium Taiwanese Assam and our Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black except that it would be a much stronger version of PTA. It has a bit of a stronger maltiness but yet also has the sweetness that is present in the Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black. Very interesting. I overleafed a bit so I am getting a nice burst of malt, very close to astringent but not quite. There are some lovely honey, stone fruit, dark chocolate, and fresh baked bread notes. I’m also getting a slight earthiness and some raisin notes. Absolutely delicious!

Lately, I have been all about gardening. This year I planted a nice box of cabbage, basil, tomatoes, and arugula. I also planted a smaller raised box of jalapenos, tomatoes, basil, and arugula. Each year, I will be adding a new box and fruit tree in our backyard until we have too many fruits and veggies. I also planted a pear tree and a bunch of flowers this year. Yesterday, my first jalapeno was harvested and I made some nachos with homemade salsa and guac. So good! Will be starting composting soon. Very excited to get back into gardening after taking a break last year. Anyone else into gardening?

TheTeaFairy

Oh, this tea sounds so good Stacy, added to my shopping list!

Your garden sounds awesome! You seem to have a very green thumb :-)
I am a plant serial killer, everything I touch dies :-( I seem to have a bit of success with herbs (that’s because they kind of take care of themselves!) but that’s it!

Dustin

I LOVE gardening! Finally figured out how to do it successfully in Texas after many years of fail. Lately I have been taking off for the summers and leaving my garden, so my neighbors get to reap what I sow instead of me. I dream of having a small orchard someday! Your garden sounds awesome!

Stephanie

I love gardening! I’ve got a ton of tomatoes as usual, but I’ve had to switch to F1 hybrids because we have a bad fusarium fungus problem in our soil. I will miss my special heirlooms :( I am also growing several kinds of basil and arugula (already ate all the arugula though) mustard greens, lettuce, kale, radishes, okra, cucumbers, habaneros, thai chilis, eggplant, many flowers, a few strawberries, and blackberries. I put in a grafted tree with half plums and half peaches a couple of years ago but it isn’t producing yet :)

Your tea and your guac both sound fabulous!

mj

A. I now want this tea. B. I like “gardening” but I’m limited to house plants because I live in an apartment. I now have plants at work too…they’re spreading lol

Butiki Teas

TheTeaFairy-I think this one might by your type of tea. Thanks. I used to be a plant killer but I’m getting better every year and reading up on gardening. Also, I’m very lucky to get advice from my dad and one of my good friends is a crazy gardener. Her backyard is just boxes of veggies (no lawn at all) and her husband is a computer engineer so they built an automated sprinkling system for their boxes. So, I get lots of good advice.

Dustin-I bet Texas would be a very challenging environment. That’s pretty sweet for your neighbors. I’m trying to work on the small orchard. Our yard isn’t crazy large but maybe 10-15 fruit bearing trees would be awesome.

Stephanie-Oh no, sorry to hear about your fungus issue. Wow, sounds like you have a nice selection of fruits and veggies.

mj1851-Hahaha, plant spread. :)

Angrboda

I’m not particularly garden interested, but Husband is. Because we bought a house, he now has his own garden for the first time, so he’s very keen. Personally I’m mostly interested in the prospect of growing our own nearly free food. He’s starting out slow, though. There are a few herbs and some courgettes, which are doing well (this is good because we eat a lot of those and they are relatively expensive) and some beans with sweetpeas mixed in. Four squares with those. I keep an eye on the bean (and that was the bean. Singular. Only one showed up, boo!) daily, but it doesn’t look very healthy. I think it looks like it’s been nibbled. About a handful of the sweetpeas have come up, though, so those are doing a little bit better. Not much, though.

hmmm first tasting note and i am SO not in the right frame of mind to be doing this. I wanted to try this one because stacy’s notes mention that “This rare varietal is a cross between wild Assamica and Keemun.” I tend to really enjoy both keemuns and assams so what the heck!

taking this out of the bag it was like WOAH! FRUIT! a sharp contrast to the 1989 Suncha i had just opened as well lol brewing this up, my first sips where very reminiscent of a taiwanese assam but not. There are fruity honey, sweet apricot sort of notes here, but then there’s a secondary taste which keeps this from being too sweet and too much like some of the teas from TTC that i like occasionally. teh after taste in my mouth from this one reminds me a bit of raisins and barley…not really a “malty” tea but there’s a memory there of malt.

over all, i’ll likely pick up more of this in the future to try out some more – maybe a gaiwan session, as today i just went with western brew.

Terri HarpLady

Another one I need to pull out of the ‘new tea’ pile & sample

cavo and i split a bunch of the .5oz teas just to try them out so we can figure out what we want to order in July…so i’m trying to drink them sooner than i normally would lol