Hong Yun Black

Apricot, Earth, Honey, Sweet, Floral, Malt, Pastries, Plums
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “This was the first tea I tried from my order. Tasted a lot of earth and apricot. A little too much earth for my taste. The honey notes make it a lot better for me, but still isn’t a tea I...” Read full tasting note
    Ostdalost 608 tasting notes
  • “Made myself a cup of this to see if I wanted to order some in the big blow-out sale before it runs out. Unfortunately it’s not on the website anymore, so I guess I’m too late....” Read full tasting note
    adagio-breeze 116 tasting notes
  • “Not sure how I missed logging this. I have been having it every other morning. Such a mellow and deep taste to start the day with. Malty, yeasty pastries with fruit and honey. /drool This is...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 609 tasting notes
  • “A sample from Maripan. The scent is nicely malty. There is a malty taste too, along with a little bit of plum. It is a bit on the strong side, but good for after breakfast.” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 487 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Hong Yun Black originates from Yuchih in Nantou, Taiwan. This fully oxidized tea is lightly roasted and AAA graded. Hong Yun Black utilizes the Hong Yun #21 varietal, which was recently developed by the Taiwan Research and Extension Station. This rare varietal is a cross between wild Assamica and Keemun. Sweet fresh apricot and honey notes dominate but are not overwhelming due to the contrasting malt notes. This tea is sweet, light, and strong. Oak, raisin, and roasted barley notes are also present. Hong Yun Black is not eligible as a free sample.

Ingredients: Taiwan Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

This was the first tea I tried from my order.
Tasted a lot of earth and apricot. A little too much earth for my taste. The honey notes make it a lot better for me, but still isn’t a tea I would savor…
I think that I might have to find a new home for this one, which is a bit of a bummer since I thought I’d like this one probably the best out of my order for some reason. xD
Oh well.
Glad I got to try. Now I don’t have to wonder if I totally missed out on an amazing tea. Not that it isn’t amazing. Just too much earthiness for me, but that’s okay. I’m picky haha!

Flavors: Apricot, Earth, Honey, Sweet

Please keep things friendly and .

Made myself a cup of this to see if I wanted to order some in the big blow-out sale before it runs out. Unfortunately it’s not on the website anymore, so I guess I’m too late. Waaaah.

Pretty nice tea, though. I’m not in the right headspace to analyze flavors and what not, but it’s one that I was hoping to get a bit more of for gongfu sessions.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

This is another I’m going to be stuck between wanting to drink it all the time and hoarding it because I can’t get any more of it!

Ysaurella

sounds lovely – it’s a pity !

Stephanie

It’s supposed to be amazing gongfu style

Please keep things friendly and .

I shared a mini gongfu session of this with my husband over the weekend. It was reaaaallly tasty. My husband liked it so much I actually let him drink most of it, haha!

All I can tell you for now is the list of flavors that people have noted on this tea is pretty accurate. Good times :D

Cameron B.

I like this one a lot. Thanks for the sample! :D

boychik

Get him addicted. I’m working baby steps with my hubby. Yesterday I shared some DHP . He said he liked it.

Please keep things friendly and .

This sample came from the generous and lovely Stephanie. Must try all of the Butiki teas! Especially the straight blacks. :D This looks similar to the Taiwanese Assams I have from Butiki, it has those “creepy tree branch” leaves. I wondered how this differs from other similar-looking teas, so I looked at the website. Apparently this tea is a cross between Assam and Keemun, which is very cool. I don’t really get any smell from the dry leaves. I noticed that the website recommends 2 teaspoons per 8 oz, so I “underwatered” a bit for my sample, as it looked to be about a teaspoon.

The brewed tea smells lovely – apricots, dark dried fruits, and honey. My first though after tasting this was… yum! Lol. This may be the fruitiest black tea I’ve had yet. Very strong apricot and plum flavor with a generous amount of honey over the top. There’s a little wisp of floral near the end of the sip, which I have found in a couple of Keemun teas before. At first, I didn’t think I was finding a lot of Assam in here, as I’ve found more fruitiness in Keemuns I’ve tried. However, as the tea started to cool a bit, I started to taste that amazing pastry-like waffle flavor that I found in the Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black yesterday. Oh, hello Assam! So I would recommend trying this tea warm for a different flavor profile. :D

Flavors: Apricot, Floral, Honey, Malt, Pastries, Plums

Nicole

Mmm. This sounds good.

Cameron B.

It is quite good if you enjoy fruity! A bit pricey but I think I would order it anyway as a nice light, fruity tea for afternoon. :)

Tealizzy

I LOVE this one!!!

Cameron B.

Tealizzy, it’s definitely tasty! I’m tempted to but it on my order list so I can try it with the recommended 2 teaspoons. I love apricots and plums! :D

Please keep things friendly and .

I’m still a bit sick. Stupid cold. Idk.
But thankfully I can taste this tea and it tastes great. I love it so much. I should have stocked up on it more before the end. :O Oh well. I’ll enjoy every steep.

Stephanie

I’m sick too. sad fist bump

Lariel of Lórien

Feel better, tea friends.

Saddest fist bump. :P
And thanks! :D

Please keep things friendly and .

I made this so I could try a side-by-side comparison with the TTC Hong Yun. Ultimately I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy both Hong Yun teas. I can tell there is a difference between the two but it is so minimal that I can’t pinpoint what exactly it is. At the end of the day, the two are close enough that I would be happy with either or. Thank you Cavocorax for the chance to try both of them!

Sami Kelsh

These sound so nice.

Cavocorax

I’m glad you did the comparison too because I have trouble differentiating them!

VariaTEA

Thank goodness it is not just me. I was like the only reason I know these are two different teas is because I had them side by side.

Cavocorax

Haha. Yeah, I was hoping buying all those black teas would help me nail the difference but not yet. Maybe I need a cheat=sheet by my desk with a list of the most common notes so I can mentally Y/N them all as I sip?

Please keep things friendly and .

Mmmmm! Yummy fruity honey malty deliciousness! I gong fu’d this one today and it lasted for several steepings. Watch that second one though, as it does that thing puerhs do and gets stronger in that steep. 30-sec steeps work great!

I’m so sad Butiki is closing…such a great company! We’ll miss you!

Yes, sadness!

Butiki Teas

I’ll miss you guys too :)