1989 Suncha Blend

Oak wood, Pine, Raisins, Smoke, Sweet, Wood
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Uh oh, it's a pu-erh. Thanks for the sample, *Stacy*! This will be quite the adventure for me since I'm normally not a fan. Although I'm still not a fan, I'd say it was the best one I've had to...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 930 tasting notes
  • “Yay. I managed another actual sipdown today - 212! I tried this because *Sil* was interested in it and it made more sense to buy a ton of things and split them and try all the teas, then to try and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Broke this out to brew tonight. The dry leaf in my nose seems to be of cantaloupe or honey dew melon. It is very nice and not with any off notes. I gave it a very quick rinse and off we go. To be...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 214 tasting notes
  • “admittedly i probably should have brewed this gong fu style but i just don't have the patience today to do so. So i opted for stacy's other recommendation for a longer steep. Let me tell you,...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5389 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our 1989 Suncha Blend originates from an ancient tea garden in Menghai county in the Yunnan province of China and utilizes the Da Yeh varietal. This Grade A blend is predominantly Shou (ripe) puerh but includes some Sheng (raw) puerh. This rich, full-bodied puerh blend has damp forest floor, woody, coffee, and chestnut notes. Our 1989 Suncha blend is earthy and mild with a sweet aftertaste. We highly recommend gongfu brewing for best results. This tea is not eligible as a free sample.

Ingredients: China Puerh Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 2 minutes
Recommended Amount: 4 grams (approx. 1 level tablespoon) of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Uh oh, it’s a pu-erh. Thanks for the sample, Stacy! This will be quite the adventure for me since I’m normally not a fan.

Although I’m still not a fan, I’d say it was the best one I’ve had to date (with the exception of Chicago Garden’s Sticky Rice Pu-erh). This smells heavier on the camphor than it actually tastes. Granted, I didn’t steep it for long so that probably played a huge role in that.

It’s something I would never buy but it’s nice to revisit this type of flavour profile to check on my tastes in tea.

Yay. I managed another actual sipdown today – 212!
I tried this because Sil was interested in it and it made more sense to buy a ton of things and split them and try all the teas, then to try and decide WHICH Butiki teas to get. :P

It tastes very earthy, like a Puerh, like you would expect. I’m also getting Smoke and wood. Hmmmm. Interesting.

I gave it a very quick rinse and off we go. To be honest this is my second day on this tea. I was a little busy to post about it on the first day. I did make notes though. I really like this blend of sheng and shou. It gives a little sharp note of the sheng just for a moment and then the smooth and creamy shou comes in. It has a little of that wood and smoke and then a hit of the raisin and sweetness on the backnotes. This is very smooth and I think the balance is nice. Pine , sweet , oak and the nice sweet of a nice shou enter into this one. Nice and balanced . Sharp from the sheng for a moment and sweet from the shou after. Nice and wonderful blend.
Gong fu style in the yixing. Complex and wonderful.

Flavors: Oak wood, Pine, Raisins, Smoke, Sweet, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Sarsonator

This one sounds fun! I haven’t tried a ripe/raw pu’erh blend yet.

awilsondc

Sounds nice! My favorite thing about sheng/shou mixes is that each session is different. Sometimes you get more sheng, sometimes you get more shou. Keeps things interesting… I’ll have to put this one on my wish list!

Cwyn

I wanna know which tea puts you on the floor tea drunk.

admittedly i probably should have brewed this gong fu style but i just don’t have the patience today to do so. So i opted for stacy’s other recommendation for a longer steep.

Let me tell you, courtney should stay away from this one. lol while the other stacy tea i had was fruity, this came out of the bag and i was like WOOD! SMOKE! WOOD! forest? lol It has a VERY strong smell but to me, it’s the sort of smell that evokes memories of being up in the mountains, cross country skiing and coming back to the lodge….or camping in the fall. i love it! I also want more. I prefer this one to stacy’s 2009 Banchang that i also tried, though i did enjoy that one. This just screams winter, maple, relaxing in the sun as the day grows longer to me.

This is not an overly in your face tea though. It’s very smooth and mild in it’s deliciousness. I’m not sure i’d call the after taste sweet, but there is no bitterness here or jarring notes to interrupt the flow of this one. i think stephanie’s tastnig note really captures the essence of this tea and i’m looking forward to buying more and having a few gong fu sessions with it…but western brewed? so doable and really a great start to my day. thank you for finding this one Stacy!

Terri HarpLady

I have a bit of this one, which I’m looking forward to sampling once my sipdown extravaganza is over.

TheTeaFairy

Mmmmmm….

I resteeped the leaves again this morning and it’s still delicious..even as a western brew so i am a huge fan!

Bear with me guys, this will be a long tasting note!

I was lucky enough to be one of the first to try this fine new puerh offering from Butiki. Not sure I’ve ever had a blend of sheng/shu before! Also this tea is from when I was 8 years old. WOW!

I took time today to steep it gongfu style, and took notes on each steeping! Puerhs can be so subjective, really, so take my notes with a grain of salt. 1 tablespoon of tea, 4oz gaiwan.

Steep 1- Only about 15 second steep. I didn’t rinse it, this puerh is so old and precious I didn’t want to waste a drop! The wet leaves immediately smelled a tiny bit smokey, with faint damp earth, pine and cedar notes. I can tell there is some sheng in here.

Steep 2- 20 seconds. The smoke is already almost completely gone. It is richer, and almost creamy now. The shu elements are starting to emerge and take over.

Steep 3- 20 seconds. The leaves are really “opening up” now. There is a distinct pleasant woody flavor. Maybe like if tea could be made from a freshly carved branch of oak? The taste is round, and very open. Mild and gentle sweetness.

Steep 3- 1 min. This very much makes me think about the forest, but there is zero dirt or moss. It is like the essence of a tree. I’m drinking a tree! :D

Steep 4- I think the leaves are getting tired, but there is a wonderful energy about this tea and I don’t want it to quit. I think after this steep I’ll leave them in some boiling water for several minutes and walk away and see if anything happens, haha…

Anyway, to sum up- This is wonderfully woody! Not a single off flavor or dirty vibe. Very sweet and good! I’d consider purchasing more for special occasions.

3 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML
boychik

I don’t think I tried anything older than 2005. Wow, I’m so curious. I have to try it, TeaTiff send it to me in that surprise package fr Butiki. I just don’t have that special time to fully appreciate this rare tea.

Terri HarpLady

I have some of this, waiting to be sampled :)

Butiki Teas

Stephanie-Real interesting to see your notes on this! I can definitely see the “essence of tree” notes! I was contemplating adding a smoke note to the description but it ultimately left it out since it was hardly noticeable on the first steep and with some rinses I wasn’t even getting a smoke note and I didn’t want to turn people away from trying this puerh. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

grrrrr terri imma stamp my feet at you!

Terri HarpLady

Sil, I’ll start a new box for you…

oh no… no no…i’ll just place an order with stacy. haha that will get me less teas lol

boychik

Stacy for 100 ml gaiwan should I use 5 g, 7g ???

Butiki Teas

boychik-How long are you planning on steeping it? If you want to do longer steeps 30 seconds, 2-3 grams should be sufficient.

Butiki Teas

For shorter steeps, I would do about 5-6 grams.

Butiki Teas

I never measure anything when I gongfu brew. Mostly just eyeball the amount of room the tea is taking up in my gaiwan.

boychik

Short steeps. I think I’m bad when measure my tea. Since I don’t have a lot and I want it to be perfect that’s why I’m asking. My thinking in general that there is no bad tea, I just didn’t make it the right way…

Courtney