1989 Suncha Blend

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our 1989 Suncha Blend originates from an ancient tea garden in Menghai county in the Yunnan province of China and utilizes the Da Yeh varietal. This Grade A blend is predominantly Shou (ripe) puerh but includes some Sheng (raw) puerh. This rich, full-bodied puerh blend has damp forest floor, woody, coffee, and chestnut notes. Our 1989 Suncha blend is earthy and mild with a sweet aftertaste. We highly recommend gongfu brewing for best results. This tea is not eligible as a free sample.

Ingredients: China Puerh Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 2 minutes
Recommended Amount: 4 grams (approx. 1 level tablespoon) of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

I guess this is the first time I’m finally getting around to reviewing this tea?
Although I would normally gongfu it, today I went with Ms Stacy’s suggested brewing, mainly because I am suppose to be working on a project. Tomorrow evening I’m going into the recording studio with a local songwriter to add some harp tracks to one of his songs, and hence I’m going with the easier (less time consuming) brewing parameters, and just stopping by here to say that it makes for a decent cup! It doesn’t really seem all that smokey to me in the taste or aroma, however it does leave a certain smokey sensation behind in the palate & sinuses, and that’s interesting! It has a rich comforting qaality, a certain tanginess, and flavorwise, it’s very woodsy, and I can picture myself on a cool fall day, with a crackling fire, wrapped up in a blanky, wearing homemade wool sox, sipping comfort.
Now I’d better get back to work!

Please keep things friendly and .

I almost got called (texted?) into work today. I said no due to the want of trying the few teas in my stash that I haven’t gotten to and in the hope of sipping some of said stash down.

The dry leaf smells a bit like camp, like a mix between the scent of a campfire and the sauna. But there is something else on top of that smell that I cannot place. I am likely doing this tea a disservice by using a gravity steeper when the directions indicate to “Gonfu brew for best results.” The only thing I get from the first few sips is smoke. It feels almost heavy in my mouth, in a nice way. It is growing on me and I think this would be great for a cooler fall day.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Blowing off work for tea. You are my hero.

Lol! I knew I would just be “extra” since I wasn’t originally scheduled!

Please keep things friendly and .

My best friend came over tonight which means I drank about 30 cups of liquid. Tonight was a top contestant hard cider from 2013 that got a 98 rating during the World Beer Championship (even though it’s not a beer) and then we moved onto some 2015 dragonwell, 1989 suncha, and 2009 Meghai Dayi; suffice to say, I treat my bestfriend with the best of the best because I love her for discussing all the nasty stuff about life that I contemplate- that is kind of misleading as I enjoy her for being herself, as I do with everyone being true to who they are.

I mistakenly went into this without reading about it :/
All I knew was that this is a pu’erh blend from 1989, I had no idea of the smoky content or else I would of used it on another day as we just drank some rather sweet cider.
This is a complex tea! I only steeped it 14 times, but I can say that it starts out by making a camp fire in your mouth and slowly the night beats the fire down until there is just a wind that blows by with hints of the aftermath to remind you of what you just experienced. Megan claims that this taste like expensive smokey sea salt from the store but without the salt… I told her to shut up because that sounds unappealing; to that I got a laugh and not hearing it being compared to a seasoning salt.

I will need to try this again sometime with nothing else drank or ate within an hour because there is a lot to pick up and notice within this tea. I will admit I prefer the latter steeps to the earlier, but this is true with all pu’erh I have came across because I like my mellow and sweet notes :)

p.s. this is my first sheng/shou blend which made me happy to finally try!

Please keep things friendly and .

My tea of the morning, steeped western style.

Earthy, sweet and a bit camphorous. I’ll need to pay closer attention next time.

Flavors: Camphor, Earth, Sweet

Please keep things friendly and .

From the Sheng and Shou TTB.

Brewed gongfu style in a ceramic gaiwan. 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 15, 30, 45, 60, 120.

If you need something to drink in 10 degree and snowy weather, this is one to have. The dry leaf smells of sod and loam, and wet leaf aroma of smoke, raisins, and freshly baked bread. The liquor changes throughout the session, beginning with tangy and smoke taste, a thin texture, and a slightly cloudy appearance. The second infusion, still tangy and cloudy, is creamy and tastes of pine, no longer smoky. The third – the height of the session – has become completely clear, the texture even creamier. The tang is replaced by a rich sweetness. The fourth and fifth infusions have deciduous wood notes.

This tea provides visual and tactile imagery and well as gustatory and olfactory: a cabin in the woods, a fireplace, a pan of homemade bread just out of the oven.

Boiling 4 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

lovely description!

Please keep things friendly and .

I got this tea in my Butiki mystery box. I pulled it out this morning thinking it was a green tea. Wasn’t quite sure what to make of the “1989” but some oolongs have been aged and what do I know anyway? lol. Then I noted the “boiling water” instruction, and thought, well thats odd, what kinda green tea is this?? :o :o But I carry on with the brewing and the aroma of something familiar fills the air. "Heeey, wait a second! I know that smell. Its, its, yes I know it, its PUERH! how tricksy of them, calling it “suncha” and confusing me."

It has the aroma of a Sheng puerh. Me and Sheng, we’ve had a troubled relationship. We keep trying to make it work, but it never does. So, naturally, I was hesitant to even taste this tea, and contemplated brewing something else right away. But then I remembered how I will soon have no more bags labelled with “Butiki” in my cupboard and decided it would be a tragedy to let any go to waste.

And you know what funky sheng/shu puerh? you aren’t so bad after all. The aroma throws me off just a bit, but you’re quite tasty. Its a shame this will nonetheless have to be a short-term relationship :(

Please keep things friendly and .

Uh oh, it’s a pu-erh. Thanks for the sample, Stacy! This will be quite the adventure for me since I’m normally not a fan.

Although I’m still not a fan, I’d say it was the best one I’ve had to date (with the exception of Chicago Garden’s Sticky Rice Pu-erh). This smells heavier on the camphor than it actually tastes. Granted, I didn’t steep it for long so that probably played a huge role in that.

It’s something I would never buy but it’s nice to revisit this type of flavour profile to check on my tastes in tea.

Please keep things friendly and .

Yay. I managed another actual sipdown today – 212!
I tried this because Sil was interested in it and it made more sense to buy a ton of things and split them and try all the teas, then to try and decide WHICH Butiki teas to get. :P

It tastes very earthy, like a Puerh, like you would expect. I’m also getting Smoke and wood. Hmmmm. Interesting.

Please keep things friendly and .

Broke this out to brew tonight. The dry leaf in my nose seems to be of cantaloupe or honey dew melon. It is very nice and not with any off notes.
I gave it a very quick rinse and off we go. To be honest this is my second day on this tea. I was a little busy to post about it on the first day. I did make notes though. I really like this blend of sheng and shou. It gives a little sharp note of the sheng just for a moment and then the smooth and creamy shou comes in. It has a little of that wood and smoke and then a hit of the raisin and sweetness on the backnotes. This is very smooth and I think the balance is nice. Pine , sweet , oak and the nice sweet of a nice shou enter into this one. Nice and balanced . Sharp from the sheng for a moment and sweet from the shou after. Nice and wonderful blend.
Gong fu style in the yixing. Complex and wonderful.

Flavors: Oak wood, Pine, Raisins, Smoke, Sweet, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

This one sounds fun! I haven’t tried a ripe/raw pu’erh blend yet.

Sounds nice! My favorite thing about sheng/shou mixes is that each session is different. Sometimes you get more sheng, sometimes you get more shou. Keeps things interesting… I’ll have to put this one on my wish list!

I wanna know which tea puts you on the floor tea drunk.

oooh. a blend! curiouser and curiouser! i wonder what will happen if you mix 2 separately brewed pu? will it work similarly?

Yeah, Dayi did a shou with some sheng mixed in a couple of years ago.

Please keep things friendly and .

admittedly i probably should have brewed this gong fu style but i just don’t have the patience today to do so. So i opted for stacy’s other recommendation for a longer steep.

Let me tell you, courtney should stay away from this one. lol while the other stacy tea i had was fruity, this came out of the bag and i was like WOOD! SMOKE! WOOD! forest? lol It has a VERY strong smell but to me, it’s the sort of smell that evokes memories of being up in the mountains, cross country skiing and coming back to the lodge….or camping in the fall. i love it! I also want more. I prefer this one to stacy’s 2009 Banchang that i also tried, though i did enjoy that one. This just screams winter, maple, relaxing in the sun as the day grows longer to me.

This is not an overly in your face tea though. It’s very smooth and mild in it’s deliciousness. I’m not sure i’d call the after taste sweet, but there is no bitterness here or jarring notes to interrupt the flow of this one. i think stephanie’s tastnig note really captures the essence of this tea and i’m looking forward to buying more and having a few gong fu sessions with it…but western brewed? so doable and really a great start to my day. thank you for finding this one Stacy!

Terri HarpLady

I have a bit of this one, which I’m looking forward to sampling once my sipdown extravaganza is over.

I resteeped the leaves again this morning and it’s still delicious..even as a western brew so i am a huge fan!