Red Queen Cupcake

Dark Chocolate, Strawberry, Coffee, Espresso, Floral, Cake, Chocolate, Vanilla, Straw, Flowers, Malt, Candy
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

From Butiki Teas

The Red Queen Cupcake was inspired by one of Chef Chloe’s (winner of Cupcake Wars) cupcakes, which has a chocolate and espresso cake with vanilla frosting and fresh strawberries. The Red Queen Cupcake utilizes our Dinjoye Estate Assam black tea and highlights strawberry, chocolate, and espresso flavors. The espresso adds depth to chocolate flavor, while the strawberry adds sweetness and freshness. Mild vanilla, cream, and cake notes can be also detected. We highly recommend adding brown crystal sugar, which will produce a very decadent treat and will intensify the flavors and develop the vanilla.

Ingredients: Dinjoye Estate Assam, Chocolate Chips (vegan), Freeze-Dried Strawberries, Safflower, Amaranth, Organic Natural Flavorings (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 190 F – 212 F (boiling)

For more info, please visit butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

I’ve had this a few times now. First with sugar, then without, then with less sugar. It definitely needs sugar and 1tsp/16oz cup seems to be the perfect ratio to get chocolate covered strawberry sweetness. Anything else and the duskiness of the espresso-chocolate mix is at the forefront. Not bad!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

1928 tasting notes

A teeny sample from Kittenna! Thank you. :)

This one smelled overwhelmingly of chocolate, and I was worried. I also had a LOT of chocolate chips in the 1.5 tsps or so that Kittenna shared with me, so I was worried about that too.

But! Somehow it works. It smells very much like chocolate something baking in the oven. Chocolate with vanilla. Tasting it, however, and I get the coffee. Weird! Yet also somehow tasty.

I added a tiny bit of sugar and that really brought out the coffee. A dollop of cream, and it’s… berries and coffee and chocolate. Huh. I wouldn’t have expected the chocolate to be so mild!

Thanks so much for sharing, Kittenna. You have aided my goal to Try ALL the Teas! I’m glad I didn’t get this one, it’s not exactly to my taste, although it’s a really interesting blend.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Plunkybug

I really liked this one. The espresso note was just right, and god, the strawberries that Stacy uses…err…used, were just top notch!

Kittenna

Perhaps I should have measured/looked at the remnants of the baggie I sent! Though it sounds like you tasted the right things, so it seems to be ok.

OMGsrsly

No worries. I drank the whole cup, thoughtfully. :D

Strawberry is the dominant flavor here. You can see the chocolate chips in the blend but in flavor they are on the back burner. there is a slight espresso note too. It is good. I believe this is another one they are out of.

Brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 3 min.

Flavors: Strawberry

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

Scent of the dry leaf is quite intriguing: mostly strawberry, with chocolaty espresso and maybe even a hint of butteriness. After brewing, I recall the strawberry was still present, but it was accompanied by an unexpected floral note and a rather strong bitterness. So I added a squeeze of agave, like I normally do with flavored blends. Still bitter. I may have wound up using twice as much as I normally do. The bitterness is minimized, but unfortunately so too is the strawberry flavor – it ended up tasting pretty much like a sweetened Assam with strong coffee flavoring that made me feel a bit woozy. I’m not entirely sure what happened, as I followed the steeping parameters on the bag pretty closely. Maybe next time I’ll drop the steep time to 2:30.

Flavors: Coffee, Espresso, Floral, Strawberry

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Butiki Teas

Oh no, sorry to hear that. This one isn’t supposed to have any bitterness. Hope your next cup is better.

Another from my order! I originally overlooked this one since I thought the base tea plain tasted like tomato soup to me. Retrying it, it wasn’t! Odd. So then I ended up buying this one. It’s similar to Ruby Pie, but I could always go for a blend slightly different than Ruby Pie! The chocolate chips from Butiki never seem to impart much chocolate flavor to me, for whatever reason. But there are plenty of strawberries and strawberry flavor. The black tea is lighter but it’s perfect with this blend anyway. Very sweet and actually does taste like a cupcake. The pink flowers are perfect with it too! The second steep is just as flavorful as the first. I really don’t think this amount of tea will make 16 cups though. There isn’t 16 teaspoons.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // 5 min after boiling // 3 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min

today i tried this tea . it was on my wishlist and Stephanie was so kind to send me in Christmas care package.
it was delicious. it does have espresso notes ( i love espresso). Strawberries and chocolate are great addition. the tea is so pretty to look at. smells and tastes heavenly.

Thank you so much my #teafiend for making my dreadful afternoon so yummy and cheerful. i need to make that last order w/Butiki.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
boychik

this is hilarious ;)

Stephanie

So glad you enjoyed

OMGsrsly

Making Fiends is amazing. :)

Oooo! This is neat! I get high notes from the strawberry and base notes from coffee and chocolate merging. Adding sugar brings out the sweet and tart of the berry for me. Adding cream changes it into a cup of delicious! They berry is more muted and the chocolate more prominent. Aaaaand my cup is empty. Now for the big decision… do I buy more of this while it is still available?!

Ost

Yes! The answer is yes!

Dustin

Is this one of your favorites? :)

Oooo I like this a lot more than I thought I would! I would prefer a touch more strawberry, but I’m really enjoying the chocolate/coffee thing that’s going on here. This feels like it would be particularly good on a cold morning because of the roasty espresso flavor. Yum!

Flavors: Chocolate, Espresso

Today is a Red Queen Cupcake kind of day. I told myself to indulge in a Butiki tea or two today because I’ve been letting them all sit in a pretty box in my cupboard waiting… waiting for what? For them to get old? Nuts to that.

This has lost a bit of its flavour, but at least I can still taste the chocolate and coffee notes. The strawberry note has suffered the most.

I just hope this won’t make me nauseated because I haven’t had anything for breakfast yet and it’s 2pm. Whoops, and now potential tenants have walked in to view the place. Farewell for now!

Stephanie

I love this one

TheKesser

yes, enjoy the teas while they are still fresh!! I have learnt the hard way to not hold onto teas for too long ‘cause honestly, it’s so sad when you go to have them again and they aren’t anything like the amazing-ness you remember ‘cause they’ve gone stale.

I got my Butiki order earlier this week and have been having a lovely time trying all these lovely teas out. Also, kicking myself for not ordering Butiki sooner and wondering what can compare when the shop closes…..

The smell of this one to me is espresso – I had added a little rock sugar and cream. The taste tho, is such a delicious strawberry. I taste the chocolate, the espresso, but the sweet natural tasting strawberry is the star. As my cup cools, ( and I guess I have a little more sugar in the bottom of the cup), this does taste like a delicious cake, with dark chocolate ganache and succulent strawberries….

I was hoping to work my way through my Butiki box and try more tea….but I want another cuppa this delicious one.

Flavors: Cake, Dark Chocolate, Espresso, Strawberry