Red Queen Cupcake

Cake, Chocolate, Espresso, Flowers, Malt, Strawberry, Candy
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas

• “Tea for a cool and gray (finally) morning! There's a lot going on in this blend: in addition to small, dark, typical Assam-looking tea leaves, there are large strawberry pieces, pink flowers, and...” Read full tasting note
    yingru 135 tasting notes
  • “Another one I received from *Courtney* - this is one I definitely would not have ordered for myself but was curious to try. I'm just very rarely a "coffee person" and also not super into chocolate...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2067 tasting notes
  • “I had a really rough week last week which lead me to buying more tea. I have been wanting to place an order for months with Butiki, but could never decide on what to buy last week I just decided...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 412 tasting notes
  • “Goodbye, sweet delicious tea! (142) I needed a cup of chocolate and this was perfect. Sadly, I couldn't drink it without sugar which I'm not crazy about, but it was AMAZING with a little added in.” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

The Red Queen Cupcake was inspired by one of Chef Chloe’s (winner of Cupcake Wars) cupcakes, which has a chocolate and espresso cake with vanilla frosting and fresh strawberries. The Red Queen Cupcake utilizes our Dinjoye Estate Assam black tea and highlights strawberry, chocolate, and espresso flavors. The espresso adds depth to chocolate flavor, while the strawberry adds sweetness and freshness. Mild vanilla, cream, and cake notes can be also detected. We highly recommend adding brown crystal sugar, which will produce a very decadent treat and will intensify the flavors and develop the vanilla.

Ingredients: Dinjoye Estate Assam, Chocolate Chips (vegan), Freeze-Dried Strawberries, Safflower, Amaranth, Organic Natural Flavorings (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 190 F – 212 F (boiling)

For more info, please visit butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Tea for a cool and gray (finally) morning! There’s a lot going on in this blend: in addition to small, dark, typical Assam-looking tea leaves, there are large strawberry pieces, pink flowers, and an abundance of chocolate chips. I tasted one and it was very creamy and rich, not dry or bitter as I was expecting for some reason. The smell is invitingly rich and cake-like, very strawberries-and-cream with a touch of cocoa and espresso. Now the question of how does it taste? Many teas that smell like a decadent dessert end in tragedy in this department, but this one is quite delicious. The strawberry sweetness is very fresh but not over-the-top, and is tempered just right by the combination of espresso and a light natural astringency from the assam. The coffee fragrance as well as the chocolate flavor gets stronger with a longer brew time, probably due to the chocolate chips melting. And it is a very sweet, inviting sort of chocolatey note that takes me right back to childhood. This tea does have a very rich, almost buttery feel, so it may not be for everyone, but I found that doesn’t detract in this case. And on a final note, it brews up to the most beautiful, soft red color that has me wanting to take a picture of my teacup for the first time!

And now I’ll have to revise my profile so it no longer says I haven’t found a good chocolate-heavy tea yet…

2067 tasting notes

Another one I received from Courtney – this is one I definitely would not have ordered for myself but was curious to try. I’m just very rarely a “coffee person” and also not super into chocolate either, but it sounded interesting and I was open to be surprised; just not enough to actually want to order it without trying it first.

I made it in my timolino so I could enjoy this one during my cleaning shift – which went pretty late into the night, so I figured a black would be good for keeping up my energy. I was honestly a little surprised that the most noticeably flavour in this was the very strong strawberry; and it was instantly a throwback to Butiki’s Ruby Pie which has the same very powerful and robust strawberry flavour.

Honestly; everything else in this blend just couldn’t hold a candle to the strawberry; I mean, yeah I could taste the chocolate and the espresso but it was all just so much lighter than that fruit flavour. I also got the cake part of it too, I guess – but again; much lighter/milder. I don’t know, overall I thought this was very tasty and enjoyable but not totally what I expected and given that the strawberry is so similar, imo, to Ruby Pie I probably wont consider restocking this one since I like Ruby Pie better.

But I can absolutely see the appeal of this one, just my general lack of enthusiasm for chocolate or coffee makes it a little less enticing (but again, it was still good).

Courtney

I’m glad the teas arrived and you got to try this one out. :)

I had a really rough week last week which lead me to buying more tea. I have been wanting to place an order for months with Butiki, but could never decide on what to buy last week I just decided to pick 3. Since I have been drinking an abundance of straight tea lately I decided to go with 3 of the flavored teas I had been wanting to try. This was one of them! Yum. This is really really good. Strawberry, chocolate, and espresso! The combination of the 3 is magic and no one flavor overtakes it for me. It is well blended with the base. I really like this one. For my first cup I didn’t add any sugar. I can see a tad bit of sugar bringing out the strawberry flavor a bit. I will have to give this way a try as well.

Cheri

I had that really rough week a little bit back, and went on a tea buying splurge. Yours was relatively mild, comparatively.

I think this is such a good tea. Stacy does a great job.

Goodbye, sweet delicious tea! (142)
I needed a cup of chocolate and this was perfect. Sadly, I couldn’t drink it without sugar which I’m not crazy about, but it was AMAZING with a little added in.

I made this one quickly when I was home and it didn’t turn as well as it could’ve, so now that I’m back across the country, I’m trying again.

This steep was much better. All the elements are subtle, yet apparent. The espresso is not overwhelming, which was my main concern. And the strawberry and dark chocolate are evenly taste-able with the espresso.

Definitely a tasty tea.

Marco Polo TTB

It has been a day of highs and lows for me so far, the highs are awesome, the lows are pretty frustrating because they affect my tea drinking! First off, pretty sure I have Ben’s stupid cold/flu, meaning my sense of taste and smell will be utterly gone for a few days. Second my electric kettle broke, just decided to stop heating things. I feel like I lost a friend, it left me feeling empty and lost…I take my tea gear very seriously. Of course I took to facebook lamenting the death of my kettle, and a dear friend bought me a replacement, how awesome is that! My new kettle will be here on the 5th, I think my sanity will hold until then.

Today’s tea is a dessert themed tea from Butiki Teas! Red Queen Cupcake is inspired by one of the winner of Cupcake War’s creations, a cupcake that mixes chocolate and espresso with vanilla frosting and fresh strawberries, that sounds so yummy. This blend is made from Dinjoye Estate Assam, Chocolate Chips (vegan), Freeze-Dried Strawberries, Safflower, Amaranth, Organic Natural Flavorings (vegan) and is Gluten Free, for those seeking cupcake tasting things like I am. The aroma reminds me of truffles (the chocolate, not the mushroom…I know, weird for me to not be talking about mushrooms) rich chocolate and strawberry truffles with a sprinkling of espresso, it pulls to mind a very specific truffle a friend of mine made, they were quite decadent. The aroma is intensely sweet, perfect for those times you are craving chocolate (when am I not craving chocolate?)

Oh man, steeping this tea is fantastic, the aroma of strawberries, chocolate, and espresso fill my tea area. Sniffing the leaves once they are out of the water I also detect a bit of malt and a slight floral hint at the finish. The liquid without its leafy friends is just intense, the strawberry is so sweet and the chocolate is mouthwatering. There are hints of malt and a delightful kick of espresso at the end.

Before anyone goes ’le’gasp! Traitor to tea! Espresso!’ keep in mind, I used to work at a coffee shop where I was practically fueled by espresso. I might not drink coffee anymore, and I have always preferred tea, but I still love the taste of espresso. Now that I have gotten that out of the way I can say HOLY MOLEY Chocolate! Wow, it starts out with a rich chocolate sweetness, this moves on to espresso, and then to vanilla and juicy strawberries. Lastly there is a bit of espresso and sweet vanilla at the finish that linger into an aftertaste. Butiki recommends taking this with a bit brown crystal sugar, but I really think it is sweet enough, I am tempted to put a little cream in it to make it extra rich, but again it is already super rich.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/09/butiki-teas-red-queen-cupcake-tea-review.html

Flavors: Cake, Chocolate, Espresso, Flowers, Malt, Strawberry

Butiki Teas

Love your review site! We will post a link to the review on our Facebook. :)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Very cool! Thank you :D

hippiechick 42

This tea rocks! Great review. I wish I had such a way with words. :(

Had this one yesterday! It was really good! I admit I was a little worried that the espresso and chocolate would overpower the strawberry, but they didn’t! Yay! Not that I had much doubt…it’s Stacy we’re talking about :P

This is definitely one of those teas I would go to regularly, especially in the colder months.

This is my very first cup of tea in several weeks! I’ve been out of tea and unable to afford any for a while.

I was excited when I first heard about this tea. Espresso and strawberries? together? yay! But dessert teas and me rarely get along. Whenever there is a dessert tea I like, it comes from Butiki teas, so the odds are always in my favor here. Except that I should really know better by now that chocolate in teas, with rare exception, adds a flat and muddy characteristic that I don’t care for.

This tea is like a muted ruby pie tea. The espresso flavor doesn’t come through as strong for me as it seems to for other reviewers. But that’s probably because I like my coffee über-strong. A dainty coffee note won’t likely catch my attention. The strawberry isn’t very tart and blends well with the chocolate notes. I can definitely see how it imitates a cupcake (as opposed to a pie).

I am drinking this without the recommended sugar because I always like to know what a tea tastes like before hand. I will have to try it with sugar next time and update my review.

Overall, not a bad tea, but not a favorite either.

In other news, while I am farther away from my immediate family, with whom I used to share teas, I am now closer to extended family and I am planning to visit with lots of tea to share soon! I am also preparing a thank-you tea package for my parents who helped me out with some food money when I first got to Colorado. They love tea, thanks to me, but they are so stubborn about purchasing their own. I know they are due for a re-stock :) yay for tea!

Big fan. The espresso flavouring in here absolutely makes this tea – it adds incredible depth and body, making this much more than just another black tea with fruit flavouring. And of course, the base is great, as is the fruity flavouring, so the extra dimension makes this a real winner. I suspect this will be a re-purchase for me, and an unexpected one since I was anticipating this to be more along the lines of Raspberry Truffle and/or Ruby Pie, which it really isn’t/

3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Somebody find me this in cupcake form, please. It smells very nice… more like chocolate brewed, and like strawberries dry. There is certainly some espresso as well. The flavour is more on the chocolate side, with hints of berry, and lots of coffee. Tastes like a berry cupcake frosted with chocolate/ espresso. Mmmm….

Flavors: Chocolate, Espresso, Strawberry

Butiki Teas

This tea was based off of my favorite cupcake. This is from Chef Chloe, who won an episode of Cupcake Wars. Here is the recipe: http://chefchloe.com/sweets/chocolate-strawberry-shortcake-cupcakes.html. This is a pic of when I made the cupcakes: http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i446/butikiteas/Cupcake_zps812e6c25.jpg

Lariel of Lórien

So I have to make cupcakes to go with it?

Butiki Teas

You could track down Chef Chloe and harass her until she bakes you one. :D Those cupcakes are ridiculously good. I like to add 1 teaspoon of instant espresso. Yums.