Red Queen Cupcake

Chocolate, Espresso, Cake, Dark Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla, Straw, Flowers, Malt, Candy
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas

• “Oooo I like this a lot more than I thought I would! I would prefer a touch more strawberry, but I'm really enjoying the chocolate/coffee thing that's going on here. This feels like it would be...” Read full tasting note
    thecookielady 120 tasting notes
  • “*Stacy* was so kind to surprise me with a prototype of this back before this was released and I instantly fell in love with its creamy delectable scent and taste. I'm so glad I picked some...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 848 tasting notes
  • “I got my Butiki order earlier this week and have been having a lovely time trying all these lovely teas out. Also, kicking myself for not ordering Butiki sooner and wondering what can compare when...” Read full tasting note
    Lilysmom 49 tasting notes
  • “Another in my huge backlog to tasting notes. Thanks Inkling! What an enjoyable tea. I love the dessert teas and this really fits that description. Love the dark chocolate and strawberry with a...” Read full tasting note
    carol who 364 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

The Red Queen Cupcake was inspired by one of Chef Chloe’s (winner of Cupcake Wars) cupcakes, which has a chocolate and espresso cake with vanilla frosting and fresh strawberries. The Red Queen Cupcake utilizes our Dinjoye Estate Assam black tea and highlights strawberry, chocolate, and espresso flavors. The espresso adds depth to chocolate flavor, while the strawberry adds sweetness and freshness. Mild vanilla, cream, and cake notes can be also detected. We highly recommend adding brown crystal sugar, which will produce a very decadent treat and will intensify the flavors and develop the vanilla.

Ingredients: Dinjoye Estate Assam, Chocolate Chips (vegan), Freeze-Dried Strawberries, Safflower, Amaranth, Organic Natural Flavorings (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 190 F – 212 F (boiling)

For more info, please visit butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Oooo I like this a lot more than I thought I would! I would prefer a touch more strawberry, but I’m really enjoying the chocolate/coffee thing that’s going on here. This feels like it would be particularly good on a cold morning because of the roasty espresso flavor. Yum!

Flavors: Chocolate, Espresso

Stacy was so kind to surprise me with a prototype of this back before this was released and I instantly fell in love with its creamy delectable scent and taste. I’m so glad I picked some up.

Aww, my mom just took a sip of hers and said, “Yum.” There you have it.

But yeah, it’s like a strawberry cream-filled chocolate. Don’t get the mocha aspect as much but strawberry cream-filled chocolate notes shine through. I oversteeped this and it didn’t turn bitter. I might have even overleafed too since I’m drinking this in my new R2-D2 mug (OMG, my new Star Wars mugs are THE BEST) which is bigger than the average mug so I just dumped a bunch of leaf into a filter. The tea is a lot more forgiving than I would have expected.

In other news, I tried making a Dammann Frères order the other day but my bank is refusing to complete the transaction? I have more than enough money on my CC, plus I recently used it to make a Sephora order and it worked no problem too. Maybe my bank doesn’t trust Dammann and is refusing payment? Maybe the securecode thing is glitchy? Ugh. But I want that advent calendar! Off to the bank tomorrow to see what’s up but I can guarantee they’ll pass me off to someone else who will pass me off to someone else who will tell me to call and make me spend $20+ on my pay as you go phone.

aisling of tea

Yay for the Star Wars mugs!!

Cameron B.

I want Star Wars mugs! :)

Kittenna

Ooooh, that advent calendar looks fun.

Cameron B.

I just bought my DF calendar tonight, hooray! :D

Fjellrev

Thanks to aisling for introducing me to the Star Wars awesomeness!

Awesome that you were able to pick one up, Cameron! My bank still refuses to comply. :(

I got my Butiki order earlier this week and have been having a lovely time trying all these lovely teas out. Also, kicking myself for not ordering Butiki sooner and wondering what can compare when the shop closes…..

The smell of this one to me is espresso – I had added a little rock sugar and cream. The taste tho, is such a delicious strawberry. I taste the chocolate, the espresso, but the sweet natural tasting strawberry is the star. As my cup cools, ( and I guess I have a little more sugar in the bottom of the cup), this does taste like a delicious cake, with dark chocolate ganache and succulent strawberries….

I was hoping to work my way through my Butiki box and try more tea….but I want another cuppa this delicious one.

Flavors: Cake, Dark Chocolate, Espresso, Strawberry

Another in my huge backlog to tasting notes.
Thanks Inkling! What an enjoyable tea. I love the dessert teas and this really fits that description. Love the dark chocolate and strawberry with a nice black base. I’ve had a lot of dessert teas with rooibos lately and I’m getting a bit tired of them. This is another good substitute for sweets and guess what…. I’ve finally made my weight loss goal!!

I’ve lost 40 lbs, and am now in the Weight Watchers Lifetime program which will help in keeping off the weight. I’m walking 4.5 miles a day and doing strength training 30 min. 4X’ a week. Whoopie! I FEEL GREAT!!!

Flavors: Cake, Dark Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla

Congratulations!!

Cheri

Wow! Way to go, Carol!!!

Inkling

Glad you liked the tea. And major congratulations on reaching your goal! :D

YUM!!! This is my first Butiki tea and I love it. Sweet strawberry flavor with rich chocolate notes and a nice black base. Teas with chocolate don’t generally re-steep well, but I tried it with this one anyway. Definitely less chocolate flavor, but still a nice strawberry vanilla taste the second time around. Stacy suggests to add sugar, but I found mine really didn’t need it. I will savor every teaspoon of this one for sure!

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla

I’ve found it difficult to get into the hot tea mood in the warmer weather. I tried my hand and cold steeps over the summer, my husband loving the new variety of cold tea options, but I find myself often going back to my old standby of fresh brewed grocery tea with fresh mint & just enough sugar.. Yum!

I’ve also found myself fighting some acid reflux, I get it honest – dad has had stomach problems for years :( – I had to cut back on my caffeine intake to see if that makes a difference. It comes and goes, but too much mint tea and I’m in trouble it seems. I haven’t quite figured out if caffeine is a real culprit for me yet.

We are now having a few cooler days, and especially evenings, where I can find myself with a hot cup again. Today it was rainy this morning and having just received my Butiki order over the weekend, I had to try something in that box! One of my last go-to hot teas was chocolate covered strawberry so I thought I would see how this compared. I steeped it in my Timolino… Yes, I finally got one for me and hubby ( he loves, loves his!) I’ll have to leave a note on that too….. Mom and I were going shopping today to see if we could find her something to wear to my brother’s wedding in December. I added my normal bit of raw sugar and because I steeped it in the timolino I had no chance to try it until it cooled a bit after we had been in town awhile.

I wasn’t sure by the smell of it what I would think of it. It smells a little bit artificial strawberry to me, maybe with some sweet vanilla in the background, but Yum! The strawberry definitely takes center stage in this one, but the chocolate sweetness is close behind (no bitterness at all), with some richness of espresso and vanilla to round it out. I can’t say that I get cake from this, as the name suggests, but it is desserty none-the-less. I have to say Stacy did it again… So wish she would keep at this tea thing…! I’m a bit afraid I will be making another order before she closes up shop and hubby is going to say, “What?? More tea?!?”

Flavors: Chocolate, Espresso, Strawberry, Vanilla

Tea for a cool and gray (finally) morning! There’s a lot going on in this blend: in addition to small, dark, typical Assam-looking tea leaves, there are large strawberry pieces, pink flowers, and an abundance of chocolate chips. I tasted one and it was very creamy and rich, not dry or bitter as I was expecting for some reason. The smell is invitingly rich and cake-like, very strawberries-and-cream with a touch of cocoa and espresso. Now the question of how does it taste? Many teas that smell like a decadent dessert end in tragedy in this department, but this one is quite delicious. The strawberry sweetness is very fresh but not over-the-top, and is tempered just right by the combination of espresso and a light natural astringency from the assam. The coffee fragrance as well as the chocolate flavor gets stronger with a longer brew time, probably due to the chocolate chips melting. And it is a very sweet, inviting sort of chocolatey note that takes me right back to childhood. This tea does have a very rich, almost buttery feel, so it may not be for everyone, but I found that doesn’t detract in this case. And on a final note, it brews up to the most beautiful, soft red color that has me wanting to take a picture of my teacup for the first time!

And now I’ll have to revise my profile so it no longer says I haven’t found a good chocolate-heavy tea yet…

Another one I received from Courtney – this is one I definitely would not have ordered for myself but was curious to try. I’m just very rarely a “coffee person” and also not super into chocolate either, but it sounded interesting and I was open to be surprised; just not enough to actually want to order it without trying it first.

I made it in my timolino so I could enjoy this one during my cleaning shift – which went pretty late into the night, so I figured a black would be good for keeping up my energy. I was honestly a little surprised that the most noticeably flavour in this was the very strong strawberry; and it was instantly a throwback to Butiki’s Ruby Pie which has the same very powerful and robust strawberry flavour.

Honestly; everything else in this blend just couldn’t hold a candle to the strawberry; I mean, yeah I could taste the chocolate and the espresso but it was all just so much lighter than that fruit flavour. I also got the cake part of it too, I guess – but again; much lighter/milder. I don’t know, overall I thought this was very tasty and enjoyable but not totally what I expected and given that the strawberry is so similar, imo, to Ruby Pie I probably wont consider restocking this one since I like Ruby Pie better.

But I can absolutely see the appeal of this one, just my general lack of enthusiasm for chocolate or coffee makes it a little less enticing (but again, it was still good).

Courtney

I’m glad the teas arrived and you got to try this one out. :)

I had a really rough week last week which lead me to buying more tea. I have been wanting to place an order for months with Butiki, but could never decide on what to buy last week I just decided to pick 3. Since I have been drinking an abundance of straight tea lately I decided to go with 3 of the flavored teas I had been wanting to try. This was one of them! Yum. This is really really good. Strawberry, chocolate, and espresso! The combination of the 3 is magic and no one flavor overtakes it for me. It is well blended with the base. I really like this one. For my first cup I didn’t add any sugar. I can see a tad bit of sugar bringing out the strawberry flavor a bit. I will have to give this way a try as well.

Cheri

I had that really rough week a little bit back, and went on a tea buying splurge. Yours was relatively mild, comparatively.

I think this is such a good tea. Stacy does a great job.

Goodbye, sweet delicious tea! (142)
I needed a cup of chocolate and this was perfect. Sadly, I couldn’t drink it without sugar which I’m not crazy about, but it was AMAZING with a little added in.