Butterscotch & Hazelnut Mocha Candies

White Tea
Honey, Butterscotch, Candy, Mocha, Butter, Cream, Malt, Vanilla, Creamy, Grain, Hazelnut, Nutty, Sweet, Smooth, Coffee
Edit tea info Last updated by Ost

From Butiki Teas

Our Butterscotch & Hazelnut Mocha Candies tea uses our White Rhino tea. The White Rhino base compliments and melds seamlessly with the butterscotch, hazelnut, and mocha flavors. Butterscotch is the star of this tea but the mocha and hazelnut flavors peek through and add complexity. We highly recommend adding a touch of brown crystal sugar for a rich and delicious candy-like flavor.

Ingredients: White Rhino (White Tea), Organic Calendula, Organic Cornflowers, Organic Natural Flavors (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 level teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

About Butiki Teas View company

Another Butiki to keep my company while I sort my cupboard out. Electronic and real, that is. I fear my actual cupboard count is going to be over 250 by the time I’ve finished, which puts me far away from being under 200 again. One day I’ll get there (but it won’t be soon, because I’ve got three more orders headed my way. Bad me.)

Anyway, the tea. I used 2 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 3 minutes in boiling water. It still feels odd to do that to a white tea, but I trust Stacy’s judgement in these things. I really enjoyed White Rhino when I tried it plain, so it’s great to have a little bit more albeit flavoured this time. I made no additions for my first cup, but I’ll probably try it with a little crystal sugar next time just to see.

The intial flavour of this one is butterscotch. It’s quite strong and sweet, although not nauseatingly so. It tastes like melted butterscotch chips, of the kind you sometimes find in cookies. A little bit like Werther’s Originals. There’s a darker undertone that really is kind of mocha-like. A little chocolatey, with a hint of coffee bitterness. I think that helps this one to stay just on the right side of sweet for me, and it adds a real depth of flavour and a degree of complexity that most flavoured teas just don’t have. I’m not getting much hazelnut, but I can’t say I’m really missing it. The butterscotch-coffee-chocolate play off is more than enough for me.

The White Rhino base is, of course, amazing. It does a great job of supporting the flavours, while providing a complementary sweet maltiness with just a touch of floral. It’s almost thick-tasting, adding just the right kind of caramelly texture. This one’s a real treat, and it’s another I’ll miss from my cupboard once its gone. Lovely, lovely stuff.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

This was another sample courtesy of Kaylee. This one got rave reviews, but I suspected it might not be for me since I’m one of the few who didn’t care for White Rhino. And I was right. The butterscotch flavor was oppressively strong, with little hazelnut or mocha. being a huge fan of neither the base nor the butterscotch, this one just didn’t have much to offer me. Still, I’m glad I got a chance to try it, if only to confirm that I didn’t miss anything by not ordering it before Butiki closed.

Weirrrrrrrrrrrrd……….. I’m like 97% sure I’ve reviewed this before, but it’s not showing up. STEEPSTER Y U EAT MY NOTES!?

I’ve had this one at work for awhile now, it’s one of my special happy place teas. Most of which are Butiki, admittedly.

It’s really a great blend of flavours. I love the smell and the taste and the fact that I only have MAYBE 2 cups max left makes me sad.

I am in the exact same situation with my RiverTea Granny’s Cake. :(

TeaNTees, I’m also sad about Granny’s Cake :(

Butiki Teas

I’m pretty sure I saw you review this one too.

Ok yes, thank you! Because the first time I tried it was at the movie theatre and I loved it!

We got about a foot of snow overnight so I’m working from home today. This is the first tea I grabbed out of the cupboard in my post-wakeup fog and, I have to say, I’m really enjoying it. It’s reminding me a lot of honey, taste-wise and they way the aftertaste lingers. Yum!

Flavors: Honey

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I’m almost out of this – maybe a couple more cups and while i’ll be sad to see it go, it doesn’t have nearly the intense flavour that i hoped that it would. It’s delicious, but i want more butterscotch AND more mocha. But white rhino…i miss you. lots. :(

Final Count: 171 (swaps and tea bags finally added to the cupboard)

You need more tea than that..

NO i was down to 75 on dec 31!!! My aim was to get to 50 this year lol

You may have to go to 250…… :P

noooo! i was up there last year hahaha

Terri HarpLady

I’m gonna send you a new box, which will include samples of every version on LB (from multiple seasons & years), so that you can test them side by side! I’ll also include multiple zhu rong samples, & samples of every pu in my collection ;)

Wow, making great progress, Sil! I’m struggling just to get under (and stay under) 200. It never seems to happen for very long.

Terri…half of me is like YAAAAY! the other half is like…but, but..but….

Charoma – yeah i’m doing better cutting back on purchases, or keeping them small. Only reason it exploded on me was that we went to paris and i’m sure as hell not missing opportunity to buy tea there haha

Oh, I don’t blame you!

This is such a unique tea! Much stronger and more flavorful than any white tea I’ve had before. The name is definitely spot-on, because even unsweetened it tastes like melted candy in a cup…super rich and creamy with wonderful butterscotch flavor. I don’t really notice the hazelnut, but there is just a hint of mocha adding some depth. I may have to give the new version of this one a try when I place my next Butiki order!

Flavors: Butterscotch, Candy, Mocha

hippiechick 42

Sounds yummy!

Nice, sip down! I’m finally back in Alberta but waiting for my stuff to arrive from the moving company. But luckily, there’s a kettle in this household, and I get to enjoy a nice hot cup of tea from my own collection for the first time in a while. It’s also snowing today. SNOWING. April Fools’, eh, Mother Nature?

I’m sharing the last of this with my mom. This last cup is, of course, the most butterscotchy of all due to the flavour dust on the bottom. Not really going to miss it since I would have liked a little more flavour.

Ohhh, your move isn’t over yet. Fingers crossed!

Maddy Barone

Hope your stuff arrives and you’ll get settled in to your new place quick and easy.

Thanks to the both of you! Maddy, how did your move go?

Maddy Barone

Everything I own is piled around me in a maze made of boxes! But I’m done with the old place, so now I can take my time getting set up here. I hope never to do this again! LOL

Hahaha nicely done. Sometimes I swear unpacking is worse than packing though? Because you have to then organize and find where everything should go in your new place. I mean, I only have my two suitcases from the plane right now and I still haven’t unpacked them fully because I look at some things and groan, wondering where to even put them here haha.

Maddy Barone

Eventually we’ll be past this, Fjellrev. Then we’ll be able to relax and enjoy our tea in the serenity of order.

A sample with my order! I ADORE the White Rhino… it must be my favorite white tea. Honestly, it’s such an amazing tea that it certainly doesn’t need additional flavors. It’s odd this one is recommended to use boiling water as it is a while tea. It’s the one that looks like a longer Yunnan with gold and black leaves. I’m not sure if I’d describe the flavors as butterscotch, hazelnut or mocha but there is definitely a candy like flavor of some kind. Pairs very well with the Rhino. The Rhino is like honey though – the smoothest a white tea can get while still having a little bit more substance than a delicate white tea. The White Rhino itself is a rarity. Searching for other Kenyan white teas, the only types I can find are the sickle shaped leaf. I wonder why no one else has found this one?
Steep #1 // 2 tsps. // 6 min after boiling // 3 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3-4 min

The first sip of this tea is thick on the tongue. It brings to mind pouring honey from a jar. The main flavor I get is of butterscotch candies, particularly the hard ones that stick to your teeth when you try to chew them. The rest of the sip is where flavors become a little muddled for me. I’m picking up on the white tea, some very light floral notes and something similar to toffee. I can’t seem to taste any of the hazelnut or mocha flavors. The finish is brisk and quite astringent.

I like the butterscotch flavor, but there’s something a little too artificial about it for me. I’m not wild about the base either, but I think it’s because I’m generally not a white tea person.

I’ve enjoyed this one a few times, but never got around to writing a note. To be honest, this tea didn’t smell or taste like I was expecting, but it’s really grown on me. Don’t expect it to taste like the usual white tea. It brews up darker, almost like a light black or oolong, and yet, it is lighter in texture and flavor. I think all the flavor notes in the name are there, but overall, it’s probably more butterscotch-y than anything else. I really like it in the afternoon. I haven’t brewed it in a glass steeper, but I have a feeling it would be very pretty served that way.