Fujian Oolong

Edit tea info Last updated by Ederson Nunes

From Butterfly Brand

Tea bags.

About Butterfly Brand View company

I bought two tins of this for £8 from a London China Town shop in Leicester Square when I visited last year. Each tin contains small vacuum sealed packs of around 5g or so each pack and the tin contains roughly 10 packs so 50g.

Well I am using my Gongfu again with 10g (2 packs) and shall be doing the following: 3 steeps:1m,2m,3m 100ºC/212ºF

Whilst raw the tea is small and medium brown in tight twisted shapes with a slight roasted and floral scent.
Once rinsed there is a thick and sweet floral scent with a touch of roasting.

Steep 1 – 1 minute
Golden yellow in colour with a rather toasted flowers scent. The taste is mellow and smooth with a toasted nutty finish. There is a subtle floral sweetness that keeps the Oolong light and fresh.

Steep 2 – 2 minutes
More of a golden brown now in colour with the same strength in scent. There is a much sweeter floral tang now that has pushed the roasted nuttiness behind it in taste order. Remains fresh, mellow and light and deliciously balanced overall.

Steep 3 – 3 minutes
Yellow in colour now with a deeper floral scent. This is definitely the last steep as it’s much softer in taste. There is not much toasted nuts as there is sweet flowers with a hint of rice.

Overall this has been a wonderful no nonsense Oolong with an added bonus of being fresh, light and flavourful. Some Oolongs can be heavy or too thick with one particular flavour but this has remained consistent throughout. For it’s money this is a nice Oolong and it will cure any cravings for Oolong that I get.

200 °F / 93 °C

Low cost but decent tea, with some subtle toasted notes of taste and aroma. Good for the price.

Had this with peanut butter and chocolate scones that I made. It was nice, added two teaspoons of sugar and some milk to my tea, next time I don’t think I’m adding the milk.