Zhenghe Hong Gong Fu

Cocoa, Peanut, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Random Carpe Diem

• “In the bag, the tea leaves are cute little curly buds (no broken bits, just lots of little buds). The tea liquor is so delightfully smooth when you drink it. There is a bit of spice and grains...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 328 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to OMGsrsly for this sample. :) I actually did try it back when I first received it, but I was coming down with a cold and worried that everything was going to taste weird....” Read full tasting note
    smallstar42 263 tasting notes
  • “i told omgsrsly that i would try this one today since we both ended up ordering it from CS during their sale the other week. This tea has super cute little curly buds that made me...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6482 tasting notes
  • “This is another one of those chocolatey teas that tastes like dirt to me. Dirt tea. Made better with some coconut milk creamer, but it’s still pretty much dirt tea. I expected it to be rather...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1928 tasting notes

From Camellia Sinensis

This is another beautiful find from the great Fujian region. The small, dark leaves with their copper-hued buds yield a luxurious liquor that carries a scent of opulent flowers, musk, and sweet spices (cinnamon, nutmeg). On the palate, the sweet flavours team up with a floral attack (roses, peonies) and a suite of aromas that suggest fruit preserves (plums, cherries, quince, and pomegranate) and grains (fresh wheat bran). Also present is a delicate taste of autumn honey and spicy fruit (pumpkin pie). With its fine, smooth texture, this is a great example of a well-balanced and fragrant Chinese black tea.

About Camellia Sinensis View company

In the bag, the tea leaves are cute little curly buds (no broken bits, just lots of little buds). The tea liquor is so delightfully smooth when you drink it. There is a bit of spice and grains flavor to it, but all of the flavors have a soft, almost fuzzy sensation to them. It doesn’t jab you with any strong or bitter flavors.

Not one of my favorites, but still a nice tea to relax with.

Thanks to OMGsrsly for this sample. :) I actually did try it back when I first received it, but I was coming down with a cold and worried that everything was going to taste weird. I do remember thinking that I could taste cocoa and grain notes, as well as something else that I’m guessing is the “dirt” flavour OMGsrsly gets from this. I liked it! Mmmm, yummy dirt. ;)

So today I decided to brew it along side the Jin Pin Zhenghe Gongfu tea by Tao Tea Leaf. Western style, 2.5g in 10oz of near-boiling water for 3min. The leaves of these two teas are actually really different: the TTL one is mostly long, black, twisted leaves with just occasional golden tips; this one is small, curly leaves with lots of golden tips. :)

Today I’m getting mostly grain and malt, with a bit of sweetness and a bit of sourness or acidity. Not much cocoa or dirt today, lol. I think I might have underleafed it a bit though – usually I go for 3g in 10oz, not sure why I went with 2.5g today. By comparison, the TTL one has a richer flavour, more malt and more cocoa and less acidity. I don’t think I’ve figured out the optimal brewing parameters for this yet, but happily I still have more of this sample to experiment with! :)

OMGsrsly

Glad it works better for you! :D

i told omgsrsly that i would try this one today since we both ended up ordering it from CS during their sale the other week. This tea has super cute little curly buds that made me smile as i wasn’t expecting that today.

So i don’t actually get cocoa from this one…it’s more of a slightly sweet, malty tea..with a hint of “dirt?” lol maybe there’s a little cocoa there in the background if i concentrate, but this one is vastly different from other cocoa/chocolatey teas that i’ve had. I’ll have to try this one gonfu as well to see how that changes things up.

OMGsrsly

:D I’m planning on trying this one gong fu when I wake up.

1928 tasting notes

This is another one of those chocolatey teas that tastes like dirt to me. Dirt tea. Made better with some coconut milk creamer, but it’s still pretty much dirt tea. I expected it to be rather different from the description, so that sucks. And now I have 50g of it. Sigh.

Edit: Oh, there’s some spice as it cools. But still, dirt + spice. (I’m drinking it. I’m going to give this one a good try out. Gong fu style later as well.)

Ost

Oy >

OMGsrsly

All I can say is it’s better than all versions of laoshan black I’ve tried. :D (I really don’t like that tea omg.)

Ost

Really? Even the one from Verdant? Feels like everyone is obsessed with it!

DeliriumsFrogs

OMGsrsly, I never knew that you disliked LB… does that taste like dirt to you, as well? That is so interesting to me, how varied tastes are… I love how tea is so different for people. :)

omg… i picked this one up..so i’ll try and get a chance to try it and if it’s delicious to me, we can trade for things

OMGsrsly

Yeah, the one from Verdant. I ordered some ages ago because everyone was all, “WOO chocolate tea it’s so good woo!” It just tastes like dirt to me. I’d drink it if I had to be polite, but if I’m at home by myself and am not expecting that flavour… it gets spit back into the cup. Haha. I managed to stay strong today though.

OMGsrsly

I do think this one will be better rinsed and brewed with short steeps, so I will try it. If it doesn’t work, everyone whose address I have (until I run out!) will end up with samples.

OMGsrsly

Oh I didn’t see your post Sil! Sure thing.

I think it could be a great tea for the right person. :)

A mixture of cocoa and peanut flavours make this a sweet tasting woody tea. I am drinking my third steep and the flavour is still pleasant. If you like straight black tea then give this a try.

Flavors: Cocoa, Peanut, Wood