Sun Moon Lake T-18

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Tonight I'm brewing SML in a gaiwan, because I've yet to short steep it until now. Anyway, First steep starts off tasting very mild and friendly, then after a few seconds a rush of flavour comes...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 313 tasting notes

From Camellia Sinensis

This is one of Taiwan’s rare black teas. It is from the renown T-18, a hybrid of bushes from Birman and Taiwan. Once infused, the long, pretty leaves have a soft aroma of wintergreen. Lightly mentholated and generously fruity with notes of prune and raisin, its liquor is robust and silky. Perfect for those special mornings.

See the company’s blog post for more information about this tea: https://camellia-sinensis.com/carnet/?p=84&lang=en

About Camellia Sinensis View company

Tonight I’m brewing SML in a gaiwan, because I’ve yet to short steep it until now. Anyway,

First steep starts off tasting very mild and friendly, then after a few seconds a rush of flavour comes out. I’m getting a hint of the unique SML flavours here, malt, zesty tomato, vanilla, grains, cinnamon

Second steep it obviously much stronger, with the typical powerful SML flavours showing up.

Sniffing gaiwan lid, the scents made me think of soy sauce and tomato.

Moving onto the third steep, it keeps getting more and more intense. Now there is a minty/menthol flavour coming out. It mixes really well with the existing flavours into something that makes me think of licorice.

At the fourth steep the tea leaves have completely unfurled. Tasting the liquor, the mint is more powerful, along with the existing flavours. I think this fourth cup really tests your tolerance for STRONG flavours.

The fifth steep tasted like the tea flavour was weakening, but it’s otherwise pretty strong.

Sixth to twelfth steeps continued to get progressively weaker, but otherwise I enjoyed the typical SML flavours.

I go into more depth with my earlier tasting note, but in summary: I love SML because it is such a unique tea.

This short steeping experiment worked out nicely, I think I prefer it to the traditional one steep western style. For one thing, I think the menthol/mint comes out better here. As a bonus, the long, twisted dark leaves are a delight to watch in a gaiwan, and the large open mouth of this tea vessel makes it great to sniff the wet leaves.

100ml gaiwan, 2 tsp, 12 steeps (30s, +15s resteeps)

enjoy_the_pure

what is a gaiwan if i may ask?

Dorothy

Sure, it’s a small tea vessel that has the appearance of a lidded bowl. Using a gaiwan is ideal for short steeping tea because you fully decant the liquid and reserve tea leaves in it.
There are some great pictures on on wikipedia plus more information for you to look at if you are still curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiwan

Feel free to ask anyone on Steepster for more information, most of us are happy to share what we know. :)