Dong Ding Mr.Chang

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

From Camellia Sinensis

This classic Taiwanese wulong was cooked for 18 hours to give it a darker shade, and its warm and soothing flavors! The infused leaves release rich, fruity (strawberry, pineapple) and spicy aromas. The liquor, oily and sweet, has sophisticated and generous gourmet aspects (marzipan, flowers). A dessert in itself!

About Camellia Sinensis View company

oy…this is not the oolong for me. overly floral and particularly “green”

Kittenna

If this is from the Amoda box, I’d love to grab some. :)

Yup go hard ;)

Yum! I think I have a soft spot for dong ding oolongs. The first infusion (travel mugged) was a bit light, but the second could have been that of a milk oolong. I don’t get the floral notes like I do with TGYs (which can be overpowering) – it’s just nuttiness, creaminess, and “oolong” flavour. So smooth and delicious.

Thanks for letting me try this Sil!

I’ve had this tea for a while now, but I never took the time to write about it until now. It’s one of those teas that you can easily lose yourself in.

First steep: Smells sweet, tastes sweet too! The liquor is a touch floral, and sweet; almost like the sweetness of caramel. It has a mouth watering juiciness and flavour that reminds me of fruit.

Second steep: I’m noticing more of the texture the liquor leaves in the back of my mouth. The description mentions marzipan which I think is dead on. I can definitely taste that in the smooth texture and flavour.

Third steep: All of the flavours are coming together nicely. It’s usually at about this point where I lose myself in the flavours and look down to see that my cup is empty. ;)

Fourth steep: This cup really struck me as juicy and sweet, but not too sweet. I really dislike teas that are WAY too sweet, but this one is just right. (If you’re curious, I find Bai Lin black tea and Oriental Beauty oolong too sweet sometimes)

Fifth steep: Liquor is getting a bit less floral and the spices are coming out more.

Sixth steep: Both the tea and I are feeling pretty mellow at this point. I could keep resteeping but I’m pretty satisfied ending here.

One thing I really love about Taiwanese oolong, is that your attention to detail pays off. Relaxing and taking time to enjoy each sip brings out such beautiful flavours. Sometimes when I just want my tea fix, I’ll brew up some cheap black tea western style. But when I have the time for it, I like to reward my senses with tea like this.

Not my favourite oolong from this vendor, but it still exceeded my expectations.

100ml purion teapot, 1 1/2 tsp, 6 steeps (rinse, 45s, 45s, 1m, 1m30s, 2m, 2m30s)

195 °F / 90 °C

As Sil said earlier, very floral! I enjoy flowers though, so this was a pleasant cup of tea for me. Think frangepelia/gardenia. Tropical fragrant flowers on a soft/sweet green base. Maybe a hint of pineapple too.

I have to second (seventh?) the ‘very floral’ comments as well as the ‘could be milk oolong’ note. It’s certainly the creamy, green, floral business that made me fall in love with oolong. A bit of a surprise, as I must have had a roasted Dong Ding at some point that made me expect that.

This is up there as one of the best Oolongs I’ve tried. Very floral.