Mei Zhan Zhen

Edit tea info Last updated by Dorothy
200 °F / 93 °C

• “Here is a short back story on my decision to purchase this tea. Last year when I was trying a bunch of black teas from Camellia Sinensis (my first year purchasing from them too), I was pretty...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 318 tasting notes
  • “The dry leaf is twisty and curly, black with a few silver tips spread though out. Steep up 8g in 8oz at 200F. First infusion (45s) the tea is brownish red, and a little cloudy. This is a bit...” Read full tasting note
    Mandyyyy 272 tasting notes

From Camellia Sinensis

Origin: Fujian, China

From the summit of Mount Zhenghe in Fujian (China), the beautiful long golden buds of this black tea have a seductive fragrance from only the dry leaves! Once infused, they give intoxicating scents of lavender, hemlock and allspice. The liquor is opulent, velvety and offers notes of pastries (marzipan and citrus zest) of excellent quality. A sublime tea, generous and unforgettable!

About Camellia Sinensis View company

Here is a short back story on my decision to purchase this tea. Last year when I was trying a bunch of black teas from Camellia Sinensis (my first year purchasing from them too), I was pretty overwhelmed by all of the options. Not knowing which teas would sell first, I didn’t prioritize buying this one. And well, as you can tell by where this story is going, it sold out! Fast forward to this year, I saw Mei Zhan Zhen was back in stock and immediately purchased it. (Now that a month or two has passed, this tea is once again unavailable.)

Onto my tasting notes:

Dry leaves have a strong sweet and floral fragrance. It also makes me think of marzipan or cinnamon rolls.

First steep: As expected, it does taste very floral, but still in an amount I can tolerate. Sipping some more, there is a very enjoyable mix of aromas: spices, floral, pastry, earthy black tea flavour. The tea body isn’t heavy, but I wouldn’t say that it is too light.

Second steep: I like how the flavours continue to build up, but none of the many flavours screams out at you. The more I sip, the more some other type of aroma comes out (reminds me of pine trees or something).

Third steep: Still maintaining a consistent flavour, not weakening yet.

Fourth steep: The liquor has become darker, and the flavour has really exploded too. Both the spices and floral aroma shine in this cup. I like how there is this fuzzy, velvety, and thick texture to the liquor has it goes down.

Fifth steep: Pretty similar to the fourth steep, maybe a touch more harsh and astringent.

Sixth steep: Tea liquor has weakened a bit, but otherwise the aroma is still powerful.

Seventh through ninth steeps: Floral, spices, and pastry flavours are still noticeable. I stopped on the ninth because I was pretty satisfied and full of too much tea. ;) If my husband were around to help with drinking it, we could probably get a few more steeps out.

I think CS does a good job of not only providing a lot of excellent black teas, but ones that different enough from each other. This is a pricey one, but I’m looking forward to at least buying another 25g next year.

Overall I found it to be a charming black tea. It shares a lot of characteristics I’ve come to seek, but also provides new and unique characteristics that make it memorable. As someone who can be turned off of floral black teas, I think this is a good balance between the very earthy black teas and overly floral ones.

100ml purion teapot, 2 tsp, 9 steeps (30s, +15s each resteep)

200 °F / 93 °C

First infusion (45s) the tea is brownish red, and a little cloudy. This is a bit smoky, sort of floral, and bread like.

Second infusion (60s) this cup was much like the last, but I noticed more cocoa notes as it cooled.

Third infusion (75s) this had a sort of brightness about this as it cooled. Almost like a burst of light in my mouth. Taste wise still smokey, a little malty, bread, and some cocoa as it cooled.

Forth infusion (90s) this got a touch bitter as it cooled, and a touch my smokey tasting.

Fifth infusion (115s) and Sixth Infusion (130s) still sort of bitter and smokey, also a bit metallic.

Overall this isn’t bad, the smoke isn’t my thing though so I want be repurchasing.