Lapsang Souchong

Edit tea info Last updated by nancoix

From Camellia Sinensis

Fragrant, woodsy, with notes of licorice, this Chinese black tea also has clear and comforting smoky accents.

About Camellia Sinensis View company

Midday tea.

I was light on pretty well everything when brewing this up because I just wanted a light taste of the smoke notes, and nothing assaulting. So, less leaf and less steep time as normal and then on top of that I added milk as well to cut the smoke a bit. And I got my desired affect; this was a weaker/muted smokey flavour with, dare a say it, both anise and wood undertones. So, I did kind of eventually get the licorice flavour CS advertised and which had been missing in previous cups.

I also paired it with some food in addition to my typical song: in this case a poached pear ice cream which was a delicious counterpart to the more savory smoke. Such a light, subtle and soft fruity note was a really good way to juxtapose the smoke notes and make each tiny sip really ‘pop’ in a memorable way.

As for my song pairing…

I really love pairing smoky teas with slower, sadder music because something about teas with strong smoke notes is really reflective and nostalgic to me. So, immediately I thought of the album ‘Hospice’ by The Antlers. Honestly, you could probably pick any song from this album and it would work well. It’s a beautiful ‘story telling’/concept album filled to the brim with sad, reflective songs.

This one was the standout though:

It’s just filled with so much pain, and anger. I don’t know why, but relating to it and connecting to it through the tea I’m drinking is almost therapeutic in a way. I find the whole experience really puts me in both an introspective mood and a relaxed one.

Rui A swapped me some tea & he gave me some unsmoked lapsang souchong. I really liked it – was lovely & smooth

Unsmoked Lapsang Souchong would be milder. The leaves are later harvest and larger.

yeah the closest I could think of was a mild keemun