Pinglin Bao Zhong

Garden Peas, Gardenias, Orchid, Pleasantly Sour
High
Edit tea info Last updated by SFTGFOP

From Camellia Sinensis

The long twisted emerald leaves offer up a fine vegetal and highly aromatic liquor. Brought forth by its smooth texture, the complex bouquet reveals itself gently with notes of flower nectar and then finishes of with a lingering taste of spring blossoms. An intoxicating experience.

About Camellia Sinensis View company

From the Lewis & Clark teabox! I love these types of oolong especially on these dreary winter days when I forgot to notice what the dry leaves looked like because it was too dark out to see them. I’ve had these types of oolongs a couple times before. This one seemed to be a little lighter in flavor than usual. But it’s such a nice flavor. Buttery, a little fruity like pineapple, a little floral. My favorite oolong flavors combined. All of the cups were very consistent in flavor but I probably should have used a half teaspoon more. Teasenz sent me a tea like this one that wasn’t available for sale yet that was VERY good. I’ll be keeping my eye out for it.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // 15 min after boiling // 1 1/2 min steep
Steep #2 // 12 min after boiling // 2 min
Steep #3 // 10 min after boiling // 3 min

From the Lewis and Clark TTB.

Brewed gongfu-style with gaiwan. Steeping times: 20 sec, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60.

The leaf consists of twisty forest green leaves, whose color brightens when they are first infused. Even though they were picked from the bush long ago, they appear as if their life is retained. At first the aroma is generally sweet and buttery. But as the leaf cools, the notes change: kettlecorn and sweet potatoes with marshmallows (like the Thanksgiving dish), and then squash and zucchini. Each infusion produces a pale green liquor – almost neon – that is medium-bodied, creamy, vegetal and sweet.

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

L&CTTB

Sweet, vegetal, floral. Delicious. I really liked this. Wish I’d been able to have more of it.

Added to my wish list.

Received a sample of this fresh 2014 Taiwanese oolong from a friend. Brewed up about 2 grams in 115 ml, did a quick rinse of the leaf in a strainer first, then proceeded with gongfu steeps in a Jian Shui pot which may have been a poor choice. I read oolong on the label, the leaf looked dark, but when I brewed it I saw it is green oolong and not a dark roast.

This tea is incredibly floral, heavy on the gardenia, or orchid or pea flower. Since this is a natural flavor and not artificially added, it is quite lovely. But the tea is too green for my liking. The soup is greeny-brown, which is okay, but it was very astringent and the sweet flower flavor then went sour on the tongue afterward and lingered. Had two cups and didn’t want anymore. I would probably love this more deeply roasted, the roast would have given a sweet lingered taste instead of the sour. But then I might as well be considering a black tea, because some of this same floral taste was present in the Wild Purple Dehong Black I reviewed recently.

This is probably a really good tea, just not my taste so I will leave off a rating.

Flavors: Garden Peas, Gardenias, Orchid, Pleasantly Sour

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 2 g 4 OZ / 115 ML
SFTGFOP

hahah, I thought the same thing!

While I enjoy oolongs, I’m not one to become obsessed over them. This tea has a lovely vegetal floral aroma as it brews (think steamed spinach with gardenia flowers), but the taste didn’t quite live up to this heady aroma. The brew was almost a salty bok choy, or endive, which was pleasant, just wasn’t expecting.