Pinglin Bao Zhong

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Citrus, Pleasantly Sour, Raspberry, Vegetal, Butter, Pineapple, Sweet, Garden Peas, Gardenias, Orchid
High
Edit tea info Last updated by SFTGFOP

From Camellia Sinensis

The long twisted emerald leaves offer up a fine vegetal and highly aromatic liquor. Brought forth by its smooth texture, the complex bouquet reveals itself gently with notes of flower nectar and then finishes of with a lingering taste of spring blossoms. An intoxicating experience.

About Camellia Sinensis View company

Is this even the same Pinglin Bao Zhong tea that others are writing about? I am currently too lazy to get up and reread the tea pouch. Edit—I did get up and check the tea pouch and yes, that’s all the label says. I can only guess that this newer batch, purchased July 2016, is a totally different creature than those previously written about. Completely different flavour profile.

Totally coconut, which is being lost on me today as I just had another but different coconut oolong yesterday and I had forgotten how coconut this one is. Delicious coconut which is not quite was I was in the mood for, so I will postpone proper reviewing for another time.

Yesterday, I had an early doctor’s appointment in the city, which meant that I was perfectly positioned to wander over to Chinatown and treat myself to dim sum. A large group, about seven or eight, older men were there, old as dirt, really, and it was a delight to watch them hang out, joke, read their papers, eat, torment the servers, and carry on. Although they were speaking in Cantonese, it was clear that they had great affection for each other and had known each other for a long long time. I wonder how often they have their morning breakfasts together. I suspect rituals and camaraderie like this have much to do with their longevity.

Apart from this group, was an older gentlemen having breakfast alone. He had brought his own yixing teapot, teacup, and huge thermos of boiling water for the gazillions cups he drank with his meal. I. was. dying to go over there and ask him what kind of tea he was drinking, but I didn’t: too embarrassed and concerned about the possible communication gap. After his meal, he dumped his mountain of leaves out onto an empty plate: curly, fizzly, dark. I asked one of my favourite trolley people if she knew what kind of tea that was and she suspected it was heung pin, which we later got translated as jasmine. Yeah, maybe she just felt she needed to give me some sort of answer. It doesn’t necessarily tell me anything about the leaf.

Anyway…

ashmanra

I understand why you didn’t go over to him, and I also wish so badly that you had! I would probably have chickened out unless maybe a staff member could have told you if he was a regular and if he spoke English. Maybe you can go back and see him again!

Evol Ving Ness

I was fascinated that this gentleman brought all his own paraphernalia and tea despite the endless supply of cheap restaurant tea available. Perhaps that was the point. Hard to suffer if you are a tea connoisseur. While I was watching him, I had considered many of the possible stories behind this moment. That he had spent his life as a tea importer and had his home stuffed with the favourite teas he had spent decades narrowing down. That he wasn’t drinking tea but rather a medicinal herbal concoction. That the restaurant tea was too caffeinated for his health now. That he had been seasoning his teapot for decades and refused to drink tea without his ritual. And so on.

I go to this particular restaurant for dim sum from time to time, but usually a bit later in the day. Perhaps I will see him again. Communication in this place is a real thing though, so we’ll see.

Evol Ving Ness

Few of the staff speak English and probably wouldn’t know if he did.

ashmanra

Awesome! Please post it if you get to talk to him. I bet he has some stories to share! Hopefully they will be in a language you can understand. :)

Evol Ving Ness

Will do. That dim sum outing was a glorious morning. A beautiful way to start the day. I will do it again, but that particular outing was so good, I almost don’t want to ruin the memory of it. Perhaps I will let some time pass before I return.

This started out as creamy and kind of buttery with a hint of raspberry but then developed an intense pineapple flavour that was at first very sweet but then very sour. I have to say I’m kind of loving it! I’m a huge fan of sour and this is definitely quite lip puckering. The first time I had this I found it good but nothing special but I can really see myself missing this when it’s gone — uping my rating!

Flavors: Butter, Pineapple, Pleasantly Sour, Raspberry, Sweet

2089 tasting notes

From the Lewis & Clark teabox! I love these types of oolong especially on these dreary winter days when I forgot to notice what the dry leaves looked like because it was too dark out to see them. I’ve had these types of oolongs a couple times before. This one seemed to be a little lighter in flavor than usual. But it’s such a nice flavor. Buttery, a little fruity like pineapple, a little floral. My favorite oolong flavors combined. All of the cups were very consistent in flavor but I probably should have used a half teaspoon more. Teasenz sent me a tea like this one that wasn’t available for sale yet that was VERY good. I’ll be keeping my eye out for it.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // 15 min after boiling // 1 1/2 min steep
Steep #2 // 12 min after boiling // 2 min
Steep #3 // 10 min after boiling // 3 min

From the Lewis and Clark TTB.

Brewed gongfu-style with gaiwan. Steeping times: 20 sec, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60.

The leaf consists of twisty forest green leaves, whose color brightens when they are first infused. Even though they were picked from the bush long ago, they appear as if their life is retained. At first the aroma is generally sweet and buttery. But as the leaf cools, the notes change: kettlecorn and sweet potatoes with marshmallows (like the Thanksgiving dish), and then squash and zucchini. Each infusion produces a pale green liquor – almost neon – that is medium-bodied, creamy, vegetal and sweet.

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

L&CTTB

Sweet, vegetal, floral. Delicious. I really liked this. Wish I’d been able to have more of it.

Added to my wish list.

Received a sample of this fresh 2014 Taiwanese oolong from a friend. Brewed up about 2 grams in 115 ml, did a quick rinse of the leaf in a strainer first, then proceeded with gongfu steeps in a Jian Shui pot which may have been a poor choice. I read oolong on the label, the leaf looked dark, but when I brewed it I saw it is green oolong and not a dark roast.

This tea is incredibly floral, heavy on the gardenia, or orchid or pea flower. Since this is a natural flavor and not artificially added, it is quite lovely. But the tea is too green for my liking. The soup is greeny-brown, which is okay, but it was very astringent and the sweet flower flavor then went sour on the tongue afterward and lingered. Had two cups and didn’t want anymore. I would probably love this more deeply roasted, the roast would have given a sweet lingered taste instead of the sour. But then I might as well be considering a black tea, because some of this same floral taste was present in the Wild Purple Dehong Black I reviewed recently.

This is probably a really good tea, just not my taste so I will leave off a rating.

Flavors: Garden Peas, Gardenias, Orchid, Pleasantly Sour

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 2 g 4 OZ / 115 ML
SFTGFOP

hahah, I thought the same thing!

While I enjoy oolongs, I’m not one to become obsessed over them. This tea has a lovely vegetal floral aroma as it brews (think steamed spinach with gardenia flowers), but the taste didn’t quite live up to this heady aroma. The brew was almost a salty bok choy, or endive, which was pleasant, just wasn’t expecting.