Wild Mountain Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Roughage

• “Got this tea as a sample with one of my orders with Canton Tea Company. Its a interesting tea and one of my first Wild tea's. The dry leaf are pretty large and a bit curled, bigger then i expected...” Read full tasting note
    darky 108 tasting notes

From Canton Tea Co

The purple leaf varietal of tea grows wild in the mountainous areas west of Mang Shi, Dehong where it is picked and expertly fermented to produce this rare tea, of which only a very small amount is made each year. The small producer has made black tea in Dehong for over 20 years, but only recently started making this fantastic example.

The tea is picked and then quickly hand-processed in a small hut on the mountain. The leaves come from the same varietal that is also used to make puerh, which can be quite bitter, but when made into a black tea produces an ultra-smooth, thick, soft liquor.

The leaves are dark, long and twisted with flecks of dark red and amber, giving off a sweet and fruity smell with a note of truffle. Once brewed, the liquor gives off an aroma of dark chocolate and the taste is malty with hints of caramel becoming sweeter with successive infusions. This tea has an incredible mouthfeel which is exquisitely smooth but possesses a lot of energy in the mouth, almost like a cool peppermint sensation.

About Canton Tea Co View company

Canton Tea Co is a London-based tea company trading in high grade, whole leaf Chinese tea. We have exclusive access to some of the best jasmine, white, green, oolong, black and authentic puerh teas available. In our first year, we scooped Six Golds at the 2009 Guild of Fine Food Great Taste Awards. Our Jasmine Pearls won the top three star gold award, endorsing it as the best available in the UK.

Got this tea as a sample with one of my orders with Canton Tea Company. Its a interesting tea and one of my first Wild tea’s. The dry leaf are pretty large and a bit curled, bigger then i expected to see from a black tea.

I’m brewing this tea with the half of my 5gram sample, so that i can make a second tryout with different brew times. The color of the infusion is a light almost golden/brown, once again its lighter in color then i expected. I would try to describe the smell but because i’m having a mild cold i’m going to skip that part.

Taste wise i’m finding this first cup very soft, almost creamy like with some hints of caramel. To my opinion its almost not malty, tough they mention some maltyniss in the description.

A very good tea, but for me its not strong enough for a black tea, but i’m enjoying it a lot!