Anji Bai Cha

Green Tea
Mineral, Peas, Plants
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Canton Tea Co

Anji Bai Cha is a beautiful tea in every sense. The leaves are long, delicate and a bright vivid green, the scent has notes of citrus and nuts, and the taste is a complex mix of tangy fresh and creamy soft. The liquor is a lively pale green with the bright clarity of a classic high-grown mountain tea.

Our Buyer’s notes
“Anji Bai Cha is the first and the only white tea tree variety that was recorded in the Chinese tea literature of the Song Dynasty (960–1279 AD). This is a “Hong Qing Lu Cha” (‘baked to dry green tea’) and contains large proportions of antioxidants, almost twice as much as other green teas. It also contains high levels of selenium (also found in Brazil nuts), making for a super healthy tea.”

About Canton Tea Co View company

Canton Tea Co is a London-based tea company trading in high grade, whole leaf Chinese tea. We have exclusive access to some of the best jasmine, white, green, oolong, black and authentic puerh teas available. In our first year, we scooped Six Golds at the 2009 Guild of Fine Food Great Taste Awards. Our Jasmine Pearls won the top three star gold award, endorsing it as the best available in the UK.

Thank you Roughage for this lovely tea sample!

Oh the people you meet on Steepster!

There should be a place just for the stories!

Roughage lives in the U.K. in a small town. We exchange Personal Messages at times about life in the U.K. and life in the U.S. since both of us live in smallish towns. His wife has a flower shop and sometimes he has to help deliver flowers and traverse the traffic (which he hates) when he’d rather be in his books with the cats laying about and a pot of tea. I can’t blame him there. We’ve discovered we’re both former athletes with aches and pains and both full of lame old codgery jokes and puns.
My conversations with my Canadian neighbors up North are delightful! They seem to drink as much cold brewed and iced tea as U.S. Southerner’s and are generous to a fault about sharing samples.
China, Japan, Denmark, Italy, India, Croatia, Australia and Equador. We are the TEA United Nations.
From San Francisco Amy Oh in the fog to New York and Washington D.C., we few in Colorado, Idaho, Seattle and Texas too…everyone has their own twist of excellent personality. The students and young professionals, mom’s, dad’s, and me…a grandma who lives in my tea cave.
We all belong. We’re like a group of kids who went to Summer Camp and gathered around the campfire for tea. It’s just the best.

Gush, Gush, Gush!

Review:(You thought I’d never get around to this!)

Roughage said that this was one of his favorite tea’s. He steeps it at about 140F which is a pretty low temp. for 2-4 minutes. I did the same and steeped the leaves 3 times.

I wouldn’t call this a grassy tea. The leaves were bright and beautiful nettles when dry, with varied greens. Mostly unbroken leaves. When wet the color was bright green spears and by the third steeping soft pale green. Very pretty.
The wet leaves smelled so wonderful that it was hard to pull away to drink the tea! Because I’m allergic to bean’s (even green beans) the opportunity to taste and smell this exquisite flavor without an allergic reaction was exciting. The aroma was very vegital and salty.

The taste was tender green beans sauteed in unsalted fresh cream butter then finished with a quick splash of lemon juice at the end to brighten up the flavor. The juicy, creamy tea filled my mouth.

The second steep was lighter and dry on the tip of the tongue, still juicy and lemony becoming creamy as the tea cooled. There was less of a pronounced bean flavor but overall this was delicate and an awesome cup.

On the third steep I noticed a little astringency, and just a slight bean taste. The flavor all through three steepings lingered well after the tasting making the experience smooth and enjoyable.

I enjoyed this tea as you can tell from the good mood and comfort it provided! One of the best things that tea does for me is provide an amazingly good cup and a great community to share with!

Hesper June

Sounds like such a delicious tea:)
I am very proud to be a part of this great big tea family too!
Another beautiful review, Bonnie.

DaisyChubb

:) You make me smile, it never fails
Mucho love to our tea-family <3

Bonnie

;))))))))))))))))) My smile get’s stuck!

Ninavampi

I loved your intro! I agree that you always make me smile!

I’m proud to be part of the tea United Nations!!! :)

Bonnie

Ninavampi, my cousin David lives in Guayaquil …and is still a surfer at 65! (You have great surf!) He and his brother Jonathan were born in Quito,and sister Pam in Lima, Peru. My family is pretty much a U.N. too.

Yup, this is still my favourite ever green tea. It’s light, fresh, sweet and all kinds of other really positive adjectives. See my earlier notes on it for more description and rhapsodising over its good qualities.

So, as I child, I used to eat grass. Not a lot, and not actual grazing, but every so often when outside, I’d pick a blade and nibble. Thank goodness my parently didn’t use chemical fertilizer, and that we didn’t have any dogs! I favored wild grass, because you can get the milder white hearts of grass from the inner stem in larger portions than from regular lawn grass.

That is what this tea reminds me of – those mild grass hearts. It’s a lovely mellow, smooth and grassy tea. And grass really is a motif throughout the tea. The dry leaf looks like dried grass slippings, while having cocoa and nutty aroma notes. The brewed leaf looks even more like grass clippings and smells like a typical green tea.

But the brew – oh! the brew. It’s lovely. Others have called it sweet. I don’t get sweet. I get grassy, lightly nutty, and very mellow. Mild. Very lightly colored. This is a tea I could sip all day. Lovely, lovely tea.

from http://www.itsallabouttheleaf.com/2408/tea-review-canton-tea-anji-bai-cha-2/

Jenn

Ha! I may or may not have done the same thing as a child.

Another tea from TeaEqualsBliss Thank you!!!

A lovely sweet flavor, pleasantly vegetative without being too grassy. Very light and delicious.

Brewed in Big Glass Teapot

Creamy, Tangy, and a little semi-sweet grassy type taste. Light and Clean. Very nice!

Smells good. Looks exactly like dried grass clippings. It has a light, very slightly grassy taste. No complaints. Very solid white tea. I think I could drink it all day… and just might.

Very fresh tea with spring green colored leaves, scents of mineral and spinach. Very light spring green color liquor that is very light and delicate as it is brewed at a lower temperature.
It is very cleansing and has a touch of astringency. It almost has a hint of jasmine but this is not a jasmine tea. It is supposed to have an “oily” liquor but I didn’t find that at all. I found it very clean.
LIght, fresh, and springy green tea.

Flavors: Mineral, Peas, Plants