Mi Lan Dan Cong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jonny Morrison

• “If you have some of this tea, cold brew it. I mean it. Do it now and thank me later. The lychee and the honey. Oh my. So deliciously delicious. The autumnal leafy flavor is present but the...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 484 tasting notes
  • “My last bit of this tea from the sample pack, and it's ending up being a little more than the usual amount of leaf. It was really impressive how many different flavors I ended up getting from...” Read full tasting note
    AdhamL 237 tasting notes
  • “This Oolong is AMAZING! I had only enough for a gaiwan's worth of this tea left, so I decided to go ahead and enjoy it this evening. What a lovely tea it is. I know that I read somewhere on the...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4224 tasting notes
  • “I must have watched around 10 episodes of Criminal Minds now back to back...that's some hard core marathon activity. I have nothing better to do, packed my bag with copious amounts of tea ready for...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 983 tasting notes

From Canton Tea Co

Dan Cong is the champagne of oolongs: ripe with intense fruit and sweetness. This high grade example comes from a plantation on the lower slopes of Wu Dong Mountain, Chao Zhou. The leaves are thoroughly fermented and baked to produce a rich liquor with unique flowery and honeyed notes that can be enjoyed through multiple infusions.

Our Buyer’s notes
“This tea is more heavily baked than the Song Zhong Dan Cong to allow the tea to produce its unique honey and lychee flavours.”

About Canton Tea Co View company

Canton Tea Co is a London-based tea company trading in high grade, whole leaf Chinese tea. We have exclusive access to some of the best jasmine, white, green, oolong, black and authentic puerh teas available. In our first year, we scooped Six Golds at the 2009 Guild of Fine Food Great Taste Awards. Our Jasmine Pearls won the top three star gold award, endorsing it as the best available in the UK.

Because of the delicacy of this oolong, I decided to brew this in a gaiwan with short infusions. First, while I heated the water, I took a look and smell of the dry leaf. Opening the pouch, I bring it to my nose and inhale deeply. The scent is sweet and heavy. Complex, because the heaviness and “darkness” in it seem to be along a different track than the sweetness, which seems to spiral through the tea, never settling in one place. The leaves look dark, twisted, and almost fragile. I rinse the leaves and prepare to begin.

The first steeping is for 30 seconds, and produces a deep and sweet smelling liquor that entrances the nose. The flavour mimics the scent, with a floral profile and a dark flavour reminiscent of a Formosa oolong. A sweet aftertaste sits on the tongue and coats the inside of the mouth. Immensely potent describes this steeping well.

I eagerly steep the leaves again. This steeping is much more subdued. The various elements are well-pronounced. This tea is very delicious and is quite the joy to drink.

By the third steeping, the aroma has become lighter and more vegetal, while maintaining its sweetness. The sweetness of flavour, mingling with the newly developed vegetal flavours, bursts in the mouth quite pleasantly.

The fourth steeping seems to have leveled out the flavour profile. It tastes much like the third steeping. I resteep the leaves again and decide that I am not going to get any more transformations from this delectable tea.

I will continue to steep these leaves until they give out, but this has so far been an excellent experience.

I give this tea an 85/100 on my personal enjoyment scale.

The dried, dark leaves are quite long (1 to 2 inches) so it would have been easier to prepare this by weight versus spoon. The tea has a really unique fragrance- cereal and fruity, like graham crackers and stone fruit.

The prepared tea is on the darker side for an oolong with a slight red tint. The malty cereal notes are prominent in both fragrance and flavor. This is subtly sweet, leaning more towards fruit than honey. As the cup cooled, it developed a very slight tannic quality making it similar to a very weak black tea.

I really like the fragrance on this one. As soon as I opened the bag, I had the imagery of Teddy Grahams holding peaches. I like when there’s an immediate connection. The flavor was enjoyable, but there wasn’t anything that set this apart for me.

This was really delicious! Thanks Mercuryhime! I got through 4 infusions and they were all very fruity, floral, sweet and roasty. Definitely tasted some lychee or similar notes. I loved how the leaf tips turned green after the first infusion. They looked and smelled like a chinese green or somthing similar. Not what I was expecting from an oolong but I quite enjoyed it.

195 °F / 90 °C
Mercuryhime

Glad you liked it! It’s one of my favorite oolongs. :)

Wow! WOW!

I try not to read the descriptions before I take my first sip, because I usually can never taste the flavors they say I should be able to taste. But this? Lychee all the way. This is amazing. Love it. I can’t wait to play with it some more.

It’s rainy today and rain always has me craving tea. Wait, I always crave tea.. but it seems more appropriate to sip on a cup while it’s raining. Instead of going for something flavored (the kind of tea I typically drink) — I was in the mood for something a bit different. These leaves are long and wiry. I definitely struggled trying to measure the leaves in my little spoon. The color of the tea wasn’t that pretty, in my opinion. It was a dirty yellow, not bright or clean looking like some other oolongs. I’m not sure what I was expecting from this appearance.. maybe something not so great? I was really surprised after the first few sips.The flavor is definitely that familiar oolong taste (no fruit, unfortunately) with a nice honey finish. I’ve never actually gotten a honey taste from a tea before, so I’m quite glad that I was able to experience this. The honey finish is what bumps this tea up. It lingers in the mouth leaving you wanting more. Quite delicious! I saved the leaves and think I’ll treat myself to another steep. Thanks to TeaEqualsBliss for this good cup!

Batrachoid

Lots of white teas have unmistakable honey tastes. In oolongs I think Formosa usually show it best.

I connect weather and tea too easily. Thinking up appropriate weather is something I do each time I drink a tea!

A glorious Oolong with marvellous ‘staying power’ – floral and with just the right amount of Oolong toastiness – Had never had a Dan Cong before this and this is one I will be ordering

This is something over the top for an oolong – immediate peachy taste, with just a tiny hint of astringency. The fruitiness wells up – it’s tutte frutte, with a strong dash of honey! Subsequent infusions keep up the taste, leaving a wonderful gum-lickable aftertaste. Altogether too heady, with a taste satisfaction that endures. Maybe too fruity, but keep some to entice your girl friends!