Sri Lanka Black (Ceylon)

Honey, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by CharlotteZero

• “The leaves are a beautiful dark autumn brown with a few furry golden tips amongst them. On average they are a few mm long and thin with a sweet malt and currant scent. Once steeped this tea is...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 979 tasting notes
  • “This is not your average Ceylon. I've got an average Ceylon, and it's nice, but it doesn't blow me away with interesting flavours. This, on the other hand, is so full of flavour that it's hard...” Read full tasting note
    grinnyguy 181 tasting notes
  • “This was my first tea from the Canton tea club. I was totally psyched (yes, totally psyched) to try it, especially since I haven't had a Ceylon in a while. Sadly, the predominant note to my...” Read full tasting note
    CharlotteZero 357 tasting notes
  • “The dry tea leaves smell like sorghum and are pretty tiny and twisted with a few golden colored ones among the mix. This smells sweeter than it tastes. It does have notes of malt, chocolate, and...” Read full tasting note
    Lee 150 tasting notes

From Canton Tea Co

Amba is a tea garden and organic farm nestled in the mountains of Sri Lanka 1000m above the Ravanna-Ella waterfall in Uva Province. The estate is one of only two or three in the whole of Sri Lanka that makes small-scale artisan teas by hand. So un-commercialised is their production that they even sent us a list of the first names of the nine people who picked the tea.

Amba grows other organic products including coffee, spices, herbs, fruit and veg, and is also in partnership with a psychiatric hospital for Sri Lankan women who take part in a well-being project to sew small bags for their special teas.

Tasting Notes:

Sweet aromas of honey, rich dark fruit and a hint of citrus.

The predominant tastes are honey, and dark chocolate, but the tea has a mildly floral note, with very low astringency and a long, sweet aftertaste.

About Canton Tea Co View company

Canton Tea Co is a London-based tea company trading in high grade, whole leaf Chinese tea. We have exclusive access to some of the best jasmine, white, green, oolong, black and authentic puerh teas available. In our first year, we scooped Six Golds at the 2009 Guild of Fine Food Great Taste Awards. Our Jasmine Pearls won the top three star gold award, endorsing it as the best available in the UK.

Once steeped this tea is golden brown in colour and has a honeyed malt aroma.

Flavour is very light and sweet with essences of: malt, honey, sweet flowers, raisins and fresh wood.

It’s a nice subtle black tea with plenty of charm and sweetness. Definiately a black tea that you can drink and relax with. Also considering there were only a few golden tips present I would have guessed there were more if not entirely golden tips.

I would consider buying this tea for a change compared to my beloved Dian Hong golden tips but honestly it will not be a favourite of mine.

This is not your average Ceylon. I’ve got an average Ceylon, and it’s nice, but it doesn’t blow me away with interesting flavours.

This, on the other hand, is so full of flavour that it’s hard to believe it is a Ceylon. As the description says, it’s got a slightly chocolaty hint to it, but it’s more that it just smells warm and inviting and cosy. Sniffing it is like sniffing a fruity red wine, and the colour is deep orange.

The flavour is just as good. The astringency comes through a little more, and it’s probably best with a spot of milk. I thought I was an Assam man for strong black tea, but this might just change my mind.

I’ve had a good sample through the Canton Tea Company’s tea club, and saved the last cupsworth (if that’s not a word yet then it should be) for the right moment. Well, I’m sitting in the conservatory with the rain pattering on the roof, with the cat on my knee, and this is the right moment. Yum

Hallieod

That sounds like a great right moment!

This was my first tea from the Canton tea club. I was totally psyched (yes, totally psyched) to try it, especially since I haven’t had a Ceylon in a while. Sadly, the predominant note to my palate was dirt a la the skin of fresh russet potatoes.

EDIT: Going with my gut. I’m just not into this tea.

This smells sweeter than it tastes. It does have notes of malt, chocolate, and a touch of orange pith because it has a tiny bitter note but not an unpleasant bitter.
This was a nice afternoon pick-me-up tea!!

Flavors: Honey, Orange Zest