2012 Mu Ye Chun Raw Beeng Cha

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Roughage

1 Tasting Note View all

• “There's no mistaking this beeng cha for anything but a sheng. It has that familiar aroma that I no longer associate with anything but sheng puerh. This carries over into the wet leaf and the...” Read full tasting note
    Roughage 202 tasting notes

From Canton Tea Co

A fantastic young puerh made from raw leaves picked early in the spring season from high-growing wild trees in Yong De.
A subdivision of the renowned Mengku Tea factory, Mu Ye Chen has been producing fine puerhs since 2006. The cakes coming out of this factory have been of a consistently excellent standard and this example is no different: the smooth and sweet liquor is wonderfully complex with a strong mouthfeel and thick texture. This tea can only improve with age.

About Canton Tea Co View company

Canton Tea Co is a London-based tea company trading in high grade, whole leaf Chinese tea. We have exclusive access to some of the best jasmine, white, green, oolong, black and authentic puerh teas available. In our first year, we scooped Six Golds at the 2009 Guild of Fine Food Great Taste Awards. Our Jasmine Pearls won the top three star gold award, endorsing it as the best available in the UK.

1 Tasting Note

There’s no mistaking this beeng cha for anything but a sheng. It has that familiar aroma that I no longer associate with anything but sheng puerh. This carries over into the wet leaf and the liquor. The leaves are large and the beeng is quite loose, making it easy to pick apart, while retaining whole leaves. The liquor is a lovely rich golden yellow colour that really reminds me of nothing so much as a sample! Still, it is one worth drinking!!

The tea itself is quite mild. I suspect I should have brewed it for longer, and I shall try that with the next steeping. It is smooth and sweet with only a slight bitterness, and the real flavour develops on the tongue after swallowing. There is an edge of camphor to the aftertaste, a slightly prickly dryness on the tongue, and an enduring sweetness on my breath. It is really jolly good. I can feel my body cooling and relaxing as I drink it, and the enduring aftertaste enhances that experience. There is a lot going on with this tea and I am really enjoying it.