Yunnan Gold Black Dragon Pearls

Wet Wood, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

2 Images

• “With my last order from Canton Tea there was this little sample of yunnan black pearls included. I had it sitting here for a while now and my curiosity has taken the upper hand. Upon opening the...” Read full tasting note
    darky 110 tasting notes
  • “This one has changed names a few times but this is the description of Black Pearls by Canton Tea and they have also been called Yunnan Gold Pearls. Origin: Feng Qing Mountains; Lincang,...” Read full tasting note
    Lee 225 tasting notes

From Canton Tea Co

Easy-brewing black tea pearls with hints of plum and caramel.

These attractively gold-flecked, marble-sized black tea pearls have been hand-rolled from high-grade Yunnan Gold leaf tea into perfectly compressed spheres. They make a deliciously smooth, medium-bodied brew. Each pearl weighs around one gram, so use just two or three in a small teapot. Made in Fen Qing, in Yunnan, they are ideal at work or on holiday.

Use 1-2 pearls per cup (200ml), water temperature 95°C; infuse 2-3 mins.

About Canton Tea Co View company

Canton Tea Co is a London-based tea company trading in high grade, whole leaf Chinese tea. We have exclusive access to some of the best jasmine, white, green, oolong, black and authentic puerh teas available. In our first year, we scooped Six Golds at the 2009 Guild of Fine Food Great Taste Awards. Our Jasmine Pearls won the top three star gold award, endorsing it as the best available in the UK.

Upon opening the package i can smell a light malty typical yunnan flavor. I had yunnan tea’s before but that where usual loose tea’s, this is something different. The pearls as they are called are pretty big tea balls. Lets say about 1cm diameter max but most are a bit smaller. Its easy to measure in your teacup and the instructions note that i best use 2 balls for 250ml water. But i like my black tea strong so i’m using 3…

I’m using almost boiling water and a 3min infusion for my first cup. The little teaballs start to unfurl and bubble open pretty slowly and after a minute or so it increases it speed and starts getting alive. The balls turn out to be pretty large yunnan leafs, pretty tippy to. The color of the infusion is a hazy brown, not so dark then i expected but it smells good!

Tasting this tea reveals a slightly malt and spicy flavor that holds up pretty well, its surprisingly sweet and not bitter at all. I’m enjoying this and its easy to make because off the balls u just pick some out the package and are ready to go…

Overall not my most favorite yunnan but its a good quality

Origin: Feng Qing Mountains; Lincang, China.
Dry Leaf: These pearls are large,,,the size of small gum balls. The pearls are black-brown and gold threads woven together to look like a little ball of yarn. Very cool looking. Smell like malty sweet black tea.
Method: Have played with these pearls a few times and definitely Gong Fu is the way to go over Western or any other method. Used a 3.38 oz porcelain ceramic pot with 2 pearls at 200F. I have tried this tea using 1 pearl and it was weak.
Double rinse 10"/10" (Pearls are very tightly rolled)
30"/30"/40"
Wet Leaf: Medium size leaves that have been twisted like a rope then rolled into the pearl shape. Woody scent.
Liquor: Golden and clear.
Flavor: Sort of starts out roasty and as it cools some vanilla comes out but it is not sweet. Further steepings bring out a cooked woody flavor. It is reminding me of the couple of Shou puerhs that I have tried and this is why I enjoy Sheng puerhs much better.
They worked so hard on rolling this tea that I respect it and it is beautiful to look at but it is really one note and hard to brew for me. It is very woody :(

Flavors: Wet Wood, Wood