Canton Cooked Mini Beeng Cha

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea Leaves
Forest Floor, Leather, Wet Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by janchi
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 8 oz / 250 ml

2 Images

• “I’ve had this for about a week, and I’ve made quite a few cups of it now, but I’m still having difficulty getting the steep time and amount right. It has a very...” Read full tasting note
    janchi 17 tasting notes

From Canton Tea Co

Product description not available yet.

About Canton Tea Co View company

Canton Tea Co is a London-based tea company trading in high grade, whole leaf Chinese tea. We have exclusive access to some of the best jasmine, white, green, oolong, black and authentic puerh teas available. In our first year, we scooped Six Golds at the 2009 Guild of Fine Food Great Taste Awards. Our Jasmine Pearls won the top three star gold award, endorsing it as the best available in the UK.

It has a very strong aroma – of new leather, which fills the house when I brew this. It’s pleasant, but a little overpowering.

I steep about 3-5g in 250ml for about 30s a little longer in later steeps, but not by much; the taste and smell really are strong enough, and maybe a bit too strong, for me – even at short steeping times, and even in later steeps.

For the first two or three steeps, the smell is overwhelmingly of new leather, and it overpowers any other scent or flavour. After these first few steeps, it mellows, and becomes sweeter, with some forest-like hints and woody flavours. I’ve re-steeped the leaves many, many times in one sitting – probably as many as 10, and I could have kept going, I think.

Overall, I think this is a very good puerh, but the strength of its brew is an acquired taste that takes quite a few cups to get used to.

I’ve uploaded some pictures of the cake; the leaves are in good shape, and there’s no muddiness – and, yes, I’d already started to break bits off before I got around to taking a pic, so the edges are raggedy – It was perfectly round and perfectly wrapped when I got it!

Flavors: Forest Floor, Leather, Wet Wood