Golden Monkey Superfine Grade

Edit tea info Last updated by yyz
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 14 oz / 414 ml

• “Another great gift from Dexter3657! Thank you. This is good on a bitterly cold night like this, when I feel snug as a bug in a rug, relaxed, cozy and gratefully warm. It's smooth and gentle in...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes
  • “It's been quite a while since I've logged a tasting note. I thought that staying away would curb my tea buying, but that approach didn't really work for me. I got this tea from Dexter3657. I...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 200 tasting notes
  • “This is another mucho nummy tea from *ifjuly* It's one of the only teas I've had that I'd describe as savory. It even smells savory, like a soup broth of some kind. Maybe there is a little smoke...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 512 tasting notes
  • “Trying to use the steepster app as much as possible but it's slightly challenging :) I haven't yet figured out how to add or remove teas from my cupboard or edit teas but I do like the interface so...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4710 tasting notes

From Capital Tea Ltd.

Young, fine and tender prominently golden tea leaves with an intensely forward aroma. These leaves produce a rich, medium bodied tea liquor with a very smooth and sweet flavour that is full of finesse. This tea has a wonderful depth of flavour and is highly recommended.

steep 4-5 min

About Capital Tea Ltd. View company

Another great gift from Dexter3657! Thank you.

This is good on a bitterly cold night like this, when I feel snug as a bug in a rug, relaxed, cozy and gratefully warm. It’s smooth and gentle in that Chinese black tea way, but full of warming flavors—the common clean sweet starchy, sweet potato quality (but tamped down some which I appreciate), but peppercorn too! I’m really digging the peppercorn. Golden Monkeys are generally a little too subtle and light-bodied for me—I find myself reaching for and buying Golden Needle instead—but this one’s a nice offering.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve logged a tasting note. I thought that staying away would curb my tea buying, but that approach didn’t really work for me.

I got this tea from Dexter3657. I really enjoyed this cuppa. Yesterday when I drank I found the sweet potato in the early sipping, and plum and honey after.

Today I got sweet potato and honey. No plum. Don’t know what I did differently…Either way a tasty tea.

Thank you Dexter!

Dexter

Hey welcome back!!!

scribbles

Thanks!! Glad to be back!

i second that! welcome back :)

scribbles

Thank you! I missed being here.

This is another mucho nummy tea from ifjuly

It’s one of the only teas I’ve had that I’d describe as savory. It even smells savory, like a soup broth of some kind. Maybe there is a little smoke lending to that impression, but if there is, it isn’t a harsh smoke or something that sets off my smoke alarm. It’s thick and hefty and serious. Yes, this is a serious tea. And of course I like it a lot – I have expensive tastes. I wish I had the funding for all of my expensive tastes. :)

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML
Kaylee

amen sister

yyz

So true. I really got the savoury notes with this one as well. Remember that they do sell this tea in 20g packets.

Nicole

I’ve been avoiding looking too much at yet another tea company. But I resign myself that it will have to happen eventually so it is good to know they sell small sizes.

Trying to use the steepster app as much as possible but it’s slightly challenging :) I haven’t yet figured out how to add or remove teas from my cupboard or edit teas but I do like the interface so far.

This tea was from dexter! And it’s quiet delicious. There are some chocolates notes in the background that are quiet nice, though it’s not like, say laoshan black.

Dinosara

Those features are coming later. :) right now it’s basically only for logging and reading your dashboard.

then i’m pretty happy with it so far :)

OMGsrsly

Yeah, I’m laying in bed using the app. It’s so pretty! I’ll definitely need to use it in conjunction with a computer or the web interface until adding and removing teas is possible. :)

I’m currently sipping steep number six of this tea and thinking about how different it is from my other Golden Monkey. While my other one is cocoa, jelly and violets. This one is more like a full meal with savoury notes of roasted sweet potato, butter, pepper, malt, and chestnut (in early steeps) blending with cocoa, honey, plum, cinnamon and longan ( which to me is kind of like a sharper tasting citrus lychee cross). When allowed to steep for longer steeps a slightly floral honeysuckle note comes out as well. In early steeps the sweet potato and cocoa notes are stronger and the tea is sweeter, but as you continue to steep the longan notes become stronger. This tea has tightly rolled leaves with about 30% golden tips which smell of sweet potato, and sweet cocoa, bubbles appear on top of the liquor when you brew it and the liquor is a orangish brown with tints of green. As the wet leaves unroll the long furry hairs are quite apparent on the leaves. I’ve steeped this tea using both longer steeps and shorter steeps and am enjoying the blend of flavours the shorter steeps bring out. Altogether a nice comforting tea for winter with great warming notes and a variety of flavours. Thanks again to Capital tea Ltd. for providing me with such a generous sample!

My morning is usually devoted to black tea, oolong is an afternoon friend, and pu’erh is more serious an usually gets the evening, (flavoured are “in between” teas). Habits, I’m full of them! That’s my tea MO, but having said that, I will happily interchange the order from time to time, but this morning, I stick to the usual…

I chose this Golden Monkey, sent to me by the generous Dexter3657.

This is a high quality tea, you know just from looking at its little golden claws.

Golden Monkeys are not my favourite black teas as I prefer a fuller bodied cup. This one is light to medium body. I over-leafed as usual, cause that’s my preference.

It feels very different from other GM I’ve had. They usually have what I call a Mexican cocoa feel to them, like chocolate with a hint of smoke. The smoke is there, but I find no notes of cocoa. It’s definitely more on the savoury side, roasted veggies, almost peppery with a hint of sweetness.

All in all, a very satisfying cup, but not something I would stock up on. I prefer Teavivre GM, which is a lot sweeter, chocolaty with big notes of sweet potatoes.

But this was a new experience, I’ve never tasted a tea quite like this one, very unique
and I am so grateful I got to sample it.

Thanks you Dexter3657.

looseTman

“I prefer Teavivre GM, which is a lot sweeter, chocolaty with big notes of sweet potatoes.”
TheTeaFairy, I’m with you, TeaVivre Golden Monkey is sooo satisfying!

Dexter

Interesting, I think I like this one better than Teavivre – but to each their own. That’s why we have to keep tying new ones – right? :))

Terri HarpLady

I’m with you on devoting the mornings to black tea!
I haven’t had Capital’s version of Golden Monkey, but I sure do love Teavivre’s!