Golden Garden Estate FBOPF (EX-SP) - Ceylon Ruhuna Dist #139

Honey, Sweet, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by yyz

3 Images

• “This is quite a nice Ceylon. It seems to lie between those Ceylon's that are sugary sweet, those that hold lots of citrus notes, and those with deep malt notes. It's a pretty well balanced cup,...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 391 tasting notes
  • “I just received my package from *Ost* today - Thanks, Ost! This is awesome. I know you said in your review of this tea that you aren't all that wild about it but I LOVE this. I love the deep,...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4550 tasting notes
  • “Soooo apparently not that many people have had this tea here, since there is only one other tasting note. xD But I will review anyway! :P Wasn't too sure of this one either, since I haven't tried...” Read full tasting note
    Ostdalost 347 tasting notes

From Capital Tea Ltd.

Small deep black leaves with some silvery golden tips. These strongly aromatic leaves produce a dark, hearty and concentrated tea liquor with a full body and pleasingly rich sweet flavour. This tea is enjoyable both with or without the addition of milk. Highly recommended! – 100g Package

About Capital Tea Ltd. View company

This is quite a nice Ceylon. It seems to lie between those Ceylon’s that are sugary sweet, those that hold lots of citrus notes, and those with deep malt notes. It’s a pretty well balanced cup, with just the right touch of briskness.

The tea smells of malt, a touch of brown sugar, spice (cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg), citrus, and berries with some deeper slightly bitter notes. The flavour is deep and robust with all of the above notes. This Ceylon would take milk well. It is not an overly sweet tea, and has a lovely citrusy and spicy aftertaste. I’m quite enjoying this cup. 96°C 4 min.

Edit: The resteep is lovely and sweeter. I think that this tea would benefit from a shorter steep than I first gave it. Cocoa notes are present in this steep.

I just received my package from Ost today – Thanks, Ost! This is awesome. I know you said in your review of this tea that you aren’t all that wild about it but I LOVE this. I love the deep, rich, chocolate-y flavor that is like dark bittersweet chocolate, notes of honeyed caramel in the undertones, and the woodsy earthiness to this. I taste notes of molasses. This reminds me more of a Fujian tea than a Ceylon.

Really nice.

Wasn’t too sure of this one either, since I haven’t tried many Ceylon teas. The only other one I tried was from Tea At Sea, and it just tasted like I was drinking honey. But that was a few months ago, and I’m sure my tastes have changed. Actually, I know they have!
This one doesn’t taste only like honey. There are definitely honey notes in this tea, but it’s in danger of being dominated by the woodiness. D:
The sweetness in this tea is nice, it’s just the wood taste that I’m not too fond of. It’s not terrible though. I think I’d still like to try other Ceylon Teas. The honey notes were still present, and made the woodiness bearable.
So not bad, but I think I’ll hand the rest of this sample off to someone else!

Flavors: Honey, Sweet, Wood

Mandy

Hmm sounds like another I need to try

Fjellrev

Ah, woodiness in Ceylon. I can see that causing a bit of strife.

Ost