Shincha Kuro

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Grass, Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by Christina

• “Backlog from yesterday morning. I have only a few spoonfuls of this tea left after sipping and swapping with others, but I don't mind. I genuinely like this tea, but now that I have more...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 460 tasting notes
  • “This was a sample from a swap with Christina. The leaves were so small and a dark dark green. I brewed at 185F/85C for 1 min. First taste it was nutty, sweet and smooth, not as much...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 204 tasting notes

From Capital Tea Ltd.

Deeply steamed fine leaf with a glossy sheen and some dust (common for deep steamed sencha). These richly aromatic leaves produce a greenish/yellow slightly murky liquor that is characteristic of the deep steaming. These leaves produce an amazingly sweet, rich, smooth and full bodied tea liquor with slight nutty/roasted flavour notes. (Comes in a 50g Vacuum Sealed Package)

About Capital Tea Ltd. View company

Backlog from yesterday morning.

I have only a few spoonfuls of this tea left after sipping and swapping with others, but I don’t mind. I genuinely like this tea, but now that I have more experience, gyokuros are a bit fussier to deal with, so they’ll probably remain only an occasional purchase.

This was good though – very green, slightly bitter taste.

This was a sample from a swap with Christina. The leaves were so small and a dark dark green. I brewed at 185F/85C for 1 min. First taste it was nutty, sweet and smooth, not as much seaweed taste as other senchas but as I got further down on the cup it started changing. A slight bitter edge slowly became more prominent especially with the last part of the cup and the seaweed taste became stronger (really strong). Perhaps I brewed this a little too high. Instructions were for 75C. It started out such a fantastic sencha but the bitterness at the end was too much. I am going to try a second infusion at 75C and see if there’s a difference.
__________________________________________________________________________

2nd infusion. Yes, more of that nutty, sweet sencha again. On the first part of the cup alone I would give this a score of 90. It’s a fantastic sencha but again it has a bitter edge at the bottom of the cup even brewed at 75C. I still had so much bitterness on my tongue from the last cup it was hard to taste the sweetness on the first part of this cup. I think because this sencha is so fine (the finest grade I’ve seen so far), it’s super sensitive to temperature. Or maybe it was at the end of a bag and had more tea dust on it? I don’t know but it was a strange Dr Jeckyll/Mr Hyde tea.

Thanks Christina for giving me the chance to try this great tea.

TeaBrat

Sometimes 30 seconds is enough of a steeping time for sencha!

Ubacat

That’s good to know. Thanks. Instructions were anywhere from 30 sec to 2 min. I went for 1 min. If I ever get this tea again I’ll try it at the shorter steeps.