Shincha Kuro

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Grass, Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by Christina

• “Update: I've now infused this tea three times in 1 day. Thoughts on the multiple infusions are below. 1st infusion: my first tasting note was based on the first infusion. Light, fresh-tasting...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 402 tasting notes
  • “This was a sample from a swap with Christina. The leaves were so small and a dark dark green. I brewed at 185F/85C for 1 min. First taste it was nutty, sweet and smooth, not as much...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 191 tasting notes

From Capital Tea Ltd.

Deeply steamed fine leaf with a glossy sheen and some dust (common for deep steamed sencha). These richly aromatic leaves produce a greenish/yellow slightly murky liquor that is characteristic of the deep steaming. These leaves produce an amazingly sweet, rich, smooth and full bodied tea liquor with slight nutty/roasted flavour notes. (Comes in a 50g Vacuum Sealed Package)

About Capital Tea Ltd. View company

Update: I’ve now infused this tea three times in 1 day. Thoughts on the multiple infusions are below.

1st infusion: my first tasting note was based on the first infusion. Light, fresh-tasting green with lots of floral notes.

2nd infusion: I steeped the second infusion for the same length of time as the first. It was a bit weaker, and while the floral notes were there in the scent, they weren’t as strong in the liquor. There was also a good amount of dust in the tea from the first steep, which lent the liquor a darker green colour.

3rd infusion: I steeped the third infusion for 5-8 minutes. The floral notes are back now due to the longer steep, but they’re still not as strong as the first steep. The liquor is a darker yellow-green than the first steep. There’s also a scent of seaweed (which I don’t find unpleasant).

This is still a light-tasting, enjoyable tea, but perhaps it’s best to stick to only 2 steepings.

Flavors: Seaweed

sherubtse

It would be interesting to hear your leaf-to-water ratio as, as well as the brewing temp.

Joel had /has some good senchas, certainly as good a value as anything you could find in a tea shop in TO.

Hi sherubtse,

Unfortunately, my methods in regards to ratio, brewing time, and temperature are all fairly unscientific. I used about 700 mLs (24 oz) of water to just under 1 spoonful of leaf (using a David’s Tea Perfect Spoon, which according to this thread is much larger than a regular spoon). I don’t have a thermometer to test the water; I just boil it and let it sit in the kettlevfor 10-15 minutes afterwards.

Thanks for vouching for this particular vendor, though. I’m only now starting to take off the Teavana/David’s Tea training wheels and move into the larger world of tea.

Christina

Sorry, I meant to link to the following thread regarding the David’s Tea Perfect Spoon: http://steepster.com/discuss/5905-davids-perfect-teaspoon-dot-dot-dot

sherubtse

Yes, if you are moving beyond Davids et al, then Capital Tea would be a good first stop. Joel has a good selection of teas across almost all major categories. (He doesn’t sell matcha or puer.)

In addition, he will sell all of his teas in sample packages of 25g., though you have to arrange this via phone and e-mail.

sherubtse

I should add that I have been considering placing an order with Joel as well. He is offering a 15% discount this month via a coupon attached to the catalogues given out at the Tea Festival. It is good for online orders, and probably e-mail / phone orders as well.

Christina

Yes, I’m considering buying some more of this type of tea using the discount code. Any other recommendations as to particular blends?

sherubtse

It depends: which types(s) of tea do you like? Or, you could choose a broad cross-section of teas from several categories and then go from there.

sherubtse

This was a sample from a swap with Christina. The leaves were so small and a dark dark green. I brewed at 185F/85C for 1 min. First taste it was nutty, sweet and smooth, not as much seaweed taste as other senchas but as I got further down on the cup it started changing. A slight bitter edge slowly became more prominent especially with the last part of the cup and the seaweed taste became stronger (really strong). Perhaps I brewed this a little too high. Instructions were for 75C. It started out such a fantastic sencha but the bitterness at the end was too much. I am going to try a second infusion at 75C and see if there’s a difference.
__________________________________________________________________________

2nd infusion. Yes, more of that nutty, sweet sencha again. On the first part of the cup alone I would give this a score of 90. It’s a fantastic sencha but again it has a bitter edge at the bottom of the cup even brewed at 75C. I still had so much bitterness on my tongue from the last cup it was hard to taste the sweetness on the first part of this cup. I think because this sencha is so fine (the finest grade I’ve seen so far), it’s super sensitive to temperature. Or maybe it was at the end of a bag and had more tea dust on it? I don’t know but it was a strange Dr Jeckyll/Mr Hyde tea.

Thanks Christina for giving me the chance to try this great tea.

TeaBrat

Sometimes 30 seconds is enough of a steeping time for sencha!

Ubacat

That’s good to know. Thanks. Instructions were anywhere from 30 sec to 2 min. I went for 1 min. If I ever get this tea again I’ll try it at the shorter steeps.