Rwanda Rukeri Estate OP

Bulk
Edit tea info Last updated by yyz

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This tea was sent to me as a sample with my *Capital Tea* order. I was excited as I have been interested in trying some of their African teas. This tea has beautiful dry leaves that are tightly...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 380 tasting notes

From Capital Tea Ltd.

Long bold black wiry leaves with a few tips. These high grown leaves produce a brisk, medium to full bodied tea liquor with Assam-like biscuit notes and a floral/citrus like finish characteristic of well made African teas. An excellent choice for an intense breakfast tea that can be enjoyed either with or without milk.

About Capital Tea Ltd. View company

1 Tasting Note

This tea was sent to me as a sample with my Capital Tea order. I was excited as I have been interested in trying some of their African teas. This tea has beautiful dry leaves that are tightly wound dark needles that smell floral and spicy and citrusy. The first time I steeped this tea I used a sugar spoon from a tea set to measure the leaves and I realise I under leafed it. It is a testimant to the quality of this tea that even these first steeps were very good and rich in flavour as I used only about 1g of leaf. Later I used 2g of tea. The broth in both cases is a clear medium orange-red.

First steeping:

3 min. Scent: Molasses, citrus notes, sweet potato, cocoa, spice, stone fruit.
Taste: Cocoa, sweet potato and roasted skins, brown sugar, darker tones of malt, a touch of molasses, roasted notes, dried stone fruit.

As it cools, it tastes lighter in the tongue and becomes spicy and cooling with hints of pepper and herbs with touches of rosemary and tthyme, over the other notes.
Sweet, rich and savoury. The tea itself is very smooth on the tongue.

4.2min The resteep is spicy with herbacious, floral, spice and pepper notes over sugar/molasses, sweet potato and sweet red fruits with cherry and plum. This steep is still rich but feels much lighter on the tongue. There is a touch of butter.

6min. Scent: weet, more citrusy and spicy
Taste: Malt, spice, butter, fruit, cocoa

2g. 3 min. With more leaf the scent is similar but with stronger malt tones and more distinct cocoa, fruit, and roasted tones and spice notes.

Sweet potato notes are stronger and more biscuit, with a bit of briskness, and a deeper malt tone. Along with spice and fruit.

Altogether this is a rich sweet tea with savoury, spicy, fruity tea with cocoa and malt notes. Both lighter and heavier leaved options are excellent. Thank you so much for giving me the chance to try this tea!

Nicole

I need to quit reading your reviews! I keep finding more teas I need to try based on your excellent reviews. :)

yyz

Its really worth trying, Its been a nice accompaniment to the day and pretty forgiving. I forgot a bought the Resteep from my second steeping and it is still pretty nice and is a little more fruity.

Zen Tea Jazz and Sci Fi Books

I love your tea reviews that paint beautiful pictures and gets my taste buds rollicking as though I am sipping the tea myself :-)

yyz