Sleepytime Vanilla

Blackberry Leaves, Chamomile, Lemongrass, Rose Buds, Spearmint, Vanilla
Vanilla, Flowers
Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “My last pot of the evening...so glad that my conference is in town this week!! It means I get to sleep in a smidge, and that I didn't have to abandon Chloe (what, has nobody else named their...” Read full tasting note
    Madmama 902 tasting notes
  • “I am comparing Sleepytime Vanilla tonight with a fresh box of Honey Vanilla Chamomile. My verdict is that Sleepytime Vanilla is a more appealing chamomile blend. This is an interesting result...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 509 tasting notes
  • “From http://www.itsallabouttheleaf.com/2378/tea-review-celestial-seasonings-sleepytime-vanilla-3/ - It's all About the Leaf - go read more reviews! I have a confession. I consider myself an...” Read full tasting note
    wombatgirl 411 tasting notes
  • “Herbal tisane of the evening here, taking care of myself big time includes plenty of rest and relaxation! You know, I think I like the regular Sleepytime better than this, the vanilla doesn't do...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2169 tasting notes

From Celestial Seasonings

“Vanilla lovers, rejoice! We’ve added the creamy, nutty flavor of rich vanilla to Sleepytime’s beloved blend of floral chamomile, cool spearmint and lively lemongrass. With its comforting aroma and perfectly balanced flavor, Sleepytime Vanilla is an exquisitely soothing new way for you to wind down your day.”
— Charlie Baden, Celestial Seasonings Blendmaster Since 1975

Ingredients:
Chamomile, spearmint, west indian lemongrass, natural french vanilla flavor, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn and rosebuds.

About Celestial Seasonings View company

I got this tea when I was at the grocery store on a whim. And I’m glad I did! A few months later I had problems getting a good night sleep due to stress at work. I drank this tea and I was able to sleep well to feel well rested the next day!

As for the taste, I get a hint to a good deal of vanilla. Which isn’t a bad thing. But overall the taste is very soothing and calming. Perfect if you plan to drink this tea to help you relax and/or sleep.

I like this quite a bit better than regular Sleepytime, the vanilla (for me) helps ease off that chamomile taste that I hate so much. I steep mine for an undecided amount of time that equals out to ‘whenever I get back to it’. I call it done when its a nice darkish honey color.

Not one of the ones I drink terribly often but there’s something really comforting about it to me.

Boiling 8 min or more

Perfect tea for right before I go to bed. It calms and soothes the nerves without being overbearing :)

A pleasant enough alternative to the original Sleepytime of my childhood. Like many others have already mentioned, Sleepytime is like an old, well-loved security blanket. Sleepytime Vanilla makes me feel like somebody took my blanky, sloshed it around in some vanilla-flavored washing machine, and handed it back to me, swearing it was better now that it was all clean.

I didn’t find the vanilla scent off-putting, but it made me suspicious. Once I snuggled closer (and added a teaspoon of organic honey)… yeah, it’s my old blanky, but it doesn’t taste like it had been dragged through the spearmint field and left to bake in the sun in the same, familiar way. Is this a good thing? A bad thing?

Maybe I’ll just rub the satin edging between my fingers awhile longer and see if I can make friends with a new-ish blanky. Change isn’t always bad, but as soon as Mom isn’t looking, I’m gonna run off to the spearmint field.

This is super amazing. I love normal sleepytime, but this vanilla blend is scrumptious. :)

We took my son to the zoo last week during his Spring Break.. we only visited… didn’t stay, and they didn’t try to keep us either :) On the way home we stopped for dinner and there was a Whole Foods grocery nearby. I somehow managed to get my Hubby and son to take me there … Yeah! I was hoping to find some loose leaf blends, but didn’t find too much I was interested in. It certainly didn’t help that my belly was full.

When we got to the tea section we all took a look around to see if there was anything that peaked our interest. My son found this and exclaimed, “Look Mom, Sleepytime w/Vanilla!” I asked him if he’d like to try it and he immediately said yes.

We got this out this week and he is really enjoying it. He has stepped aside from his normal Sweat Dreams-Bigelow and will occasionally ask for Winter Nog-Della Terra, but since we purchased this it has become his new favorite.

The other night when I was done steeping a cup for him I decided to attempt a resteep of his for myself. It was weak but enjoyable so I went for another cup… fresh tea bag.

I really like this version of Sleepytime. It is the same blend I remember but it has a great vanilla creaminess that adds so much richness and smoothingness (like my new word?) that I feel like I grew up and found the big kid version of the tea I drank as a kid, not that it tastes of liquor, but that it’s like my old version matured and grew up. I can see why so many here have posted good reviews of it.. & I hope I can find it locally so I can keep it stocked for my son-and the occasion cup for myself :)

Marzipan

Walmart carries it near me.

carol who

That’s how I felt, too. I had kind of burned out on Sleepytime years ago (actually in the 80’s) and hadn’t had it since. The vanilla is a really good addition. I drink it all the time now. :)I can find it in most grocery stores around me which makes it even better.

Suziqzer

I’ll have to look next time I’m at the grocery. One of them should have it I would expect. I hadn’t really looked for it yet, I was planning on trying to find it when we were about out od the regular. I haven’t noticed it anywhere when there have been sales, but I think it was good for my son to find it… It makes it more special to him.

I have a box of this thanks to Angrboda, who at one point last year, had begged anyone with access to it, to send her some. I bought up what was in stock at a store down the street (five boxes), and sent her four, plus a handful of samples. While looking for Tension Tamer tonight, I found this (surprise!) and decided to crack it open and try it.

Wowzie wowza, no sweetener needed, this is one strong, sweet, vanilla/herbal tea. I grew up on plain Sleepytime, and loved it… this is quite different, yet still good. I taste more chamomile than in the regular blend, some sort of maybe berry leaf (I want to say blackberry, that’s what it’s reminding me of) and then kaPOW vanilla. It’s too sweet now because I added a touch of liquid stevia, however the smell is divine…

Angrboda

I find I definitely prefer this over the regular Sleepytime. I’m glad you could help me so I could try it. I’ve since found a shop where I can buy it locally, though, so I’m not longer afraid of running out. I’ve also, through the large CS selection in that same shop, got to try their honey vanilla chamomile which I think is quite similar to this one, only without mint. Both Husband and I are enjoying that one too. :)

Suziqzer

I haven’t this one yet, but like you, grew up on the regular Sleepytime. Haven’t tried the vanilla version yet, but sounds like I need to look for it. ;).

We tried the kids version… . Non of the three of us will drink it hot. Gonna have to try it cold steeped and see if it works that way.

Marzipan

I saw a Sleepytime Peach somewhere also.

Angrboda

I’ve seen that one too in Aforementioned Shop. I’ve been considering trying it out of a weird sense of completionism, but I’m sceptical about the peach. That’s an unpredictable flavour in teas/herbals for me.

MissB is a star! I have been equipped with no less than four boxes of this one AND a myriad of other samples. I counted them. There were nineteen different teas in the box. Nineteen! Many of them are herbals, so I’ve got a lot of choice in my Before Bed Beverage now. (As has Husband, of course. I’m not that selfish) Some of them are from companies I don’t think I’ve ever even heard of before. How exciting!

So, yes, this is intended as a Before Bed Beverage, but as I’m writing this it’s only actually mid afternoon. I just couldn’t wait. I have high hopes of this one. I’ve come to be quite fond of the normal Sleepytime before bed, so in my mind adding vanilla to that couldn’t possibly go wrong. The worst that could happen, that I can think of anyway, is that I can’t actually find the vanilla in it at all, leaving me with something that tastes much like regular Sleepytime and then… what have I lost, really? Not much, the way I see it.

Well, I can detect the vanilla in the aroma, definitely. It’s rather peculiar, because it depends on how close I put my nose to the cup. I do have a bit of a cold, but my nose isn’t completely incapacitated at this stage (and I hope it stays that way!), so I can still smell things. If I put my nose close to the cup, I can pretty much only smell mint. If, however, I’m sitting normally upright with the cup in front of me letting the steam waft up past my face, it’s all sweet and vanilla-y. It’s almost as if the mint is a heavier scent and doesn’t make it all the way up to my face. I’ve never noticed this happening before. Isn’t that odd?

I tend to like steeping Sleepytime for a pretty long time so I’ve done that with this as well. It must have got at least six or seven minutes I think. Now that it’s stronger I can also smell the vanilla among the mint when putting my nose closer to the cup. It smells wonderful!

I’ve tried a few sips, but I can’t really taste anything. Still too hot. I’ll have to be more patient, I suppose… Ah yes, that’s better.

It still tastes like Sleepytime. I’m not sure I would have been able to tell that it’s a different variety had I not known, but as I do know, I can find the vanilla. I can find it because I know it’s there but that doesn’t mean that it’s not done properly, if you know what I mean. Sometimes you don’t need to be able to taste everything. Sometimes just a hint is enough to enhance an overall experience. Just think of a sauce which has just a pinch of salt versus the same sauce with too much salt in it. The pinch of salt enhances the flavour of the whole, but too much of it just takes over. I tend to like heavily flavoured vanilla teas, but in this particular blend I think the vanilla works much better as that enhancer. It smooths the whole thing out and adds a touch of sweetness.

I’m really glad I decided to ask for someone to play middle-man so I could have some. I don’t usually like doing that because it seems such a lot of bother for everybody involved. I shall have to put together a really great box to send back to MissB after we’ve moved now.

when are you moving?

She already moved.

She has a queue.

Anna

(Yes, Ang. I am your secretary now.)

i know she has a queue..i’m just used to see her prenotes when it’s from the backlog lol

Anna

TIME WARP. This might not be backlog, though, and that last sentence really reads, ‘…a really great box to send now after we’ve moved.’

haha

ANG WE NEED YOU TO EKSPLAYNE

I think you need to come visit me Anna. I think we would have fun together being weird. Except that my hair might get jealous and try to take yours out.

Anna

I agree. Imagine how awesomely we could stalk Ang if we teamed up on the same continent!!!

And I’m sure our hair would probably just merge. For world domination.

oh man. I’m coming your way… we can stalk ang, and hit fru p on the way!

…gosh. O.O hides

Yes, Sil, this is from the queue and from before we moved. I try to remember to write ‘from the queue’ on them, but I’m not very good at that. I don’t know why I don’t just start with that sentence when I write the post in the first place. 99% or what I post are from the queue, so you can generally assume that it’s a couple months old.

Also, you two are scary. Seriously. Scary. (But I’d still feed you and rustle up something you could sleep on if you showed up)

SIL DID YOU SEE DID YOU SHE WOULD FEED US FOODS AND BUILD US A NEST DID YOU SEE

Would she also hug us and call us George? ;)

Angrboda

I would, Geor-I mean Sil.

Would it be totally pretentious to say I never drink bagged teas anymore?
Yes, yes it would….
Sleepytime is a tea I can remember my Mom making for me when I was little.
I was actually really excited to find out there were other flavors.
So I had to pick up the vanilla.

How does it compare?
I think I like it better than the original!
It’s soft and gentle, yet flavorful. It really does taste like sleepytime with added vanilla.
Wow, that was descriptive…
It seems like they really toned down the spearmint and lemongrass. So the taste is mostly chamomile and vanilla, with the others as a backdrop.
It’s nice, the flavors are harmonious, it’s really drinkable.
Actually, It’s pretty delicious….

Vanilla taste is subtle, but still tastey and perfect before bed.