Authentic Green Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by katrina

• “A nice bagged alternative for the times when you just don't want to fuss. The white tea erases a little of the green-veggie aftertaste you get in a lot of teabag greens. I'm thinking it will ice...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1718 tasting notes
  • “This does not hold up well to the "en-K-cupping" process. I am in the office for the week. I may need to go buy loose tea and a basket. ” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 325 tasting notes
  • “I was about 3 sips into this when I dropped the cup :( yesterday morning. It was only bagged tea I picked up before class but lost tea is lost tea. Not to mention I was tired and thirsty all morning” Read full tasting note
    caitlin 392 tasting notes
  • “Inspired by the Steepster select mention of Chazuke, I just used this to make some. 1 cup green tea, plus leftover rice, furikake (a topping made from dried seaweed & toasted sesame seeds) and some...” Read full tasting note
    janefan 2480 tasting notes

From Celestial Seasonings

“Green tea leaves come from the same plant as traditional black tea, but are quickly dried to preserve their vibrant color and natural antioxidants. We’ve blended our authentic green tea with delicate Bai Mu Dan white tea – one of the rarest and youngest of teas – to create a smooth, balanced cup with a pleasantly mild flavor.”
— Charlie Baden, Celestial Seasonings Blendmaster Since 1975

About Celestial Seasonings View company

A nice bagged alternative for the times when you just don’t want to fuss. The white tea erases a little of the green-veggie aftertaste you get in a lot of teabag greens. I’m thinking it will ice down well.

Cofftea

White tea in Authentic Green Tea?

AmazonV

It’s a white green blend

Cofftea

I love both white and green teas, but I don’t like deceptive names. :(

gmathis

There’s a little banner on the box that says “white tea added for smoothness.”

Cofftea

Well that makes it kinda ok, I still wish names of certain teas would be a more accurate reflection of the tea itself.

This does not hold up well to the “en-K-cupping” process.

I am in the office for the week.

I may need to go buy loose tea and a basket.

Jim Marks

Sadly, none of my personal equipment is particularly packable or I’d have just brought tea with me.

TeaBrat

Aww. so sad! ;-)

Lisbet

Is this the same stuff you drank back when you were there more often? It wasn’t undrinkable, I thought.

Jim Marks

I guess I’ve gotten picky since I worked out of the office… five years ago.

Good.

Inspired by the Steepster select mention of Chazuke, I just used this to make some. 1 cup green tea, plus leftover rice, furikake (a topping made from dried seaweed & toasted sesame seeds) and some black sesame seeds.

The sweetness and toasted sesame flavor of the furikake drowned out the green tea! I liked it better before I added it, so next time I won’t. The tea by itself (with rice) did seem smooth and not bitter at all. Chazuke would probably be good with genmaicha too.

S

Chazuke sounds yummy (and easy!)! I almost bought some furikake today! But I wimped out and got some umeboshi instead.

Steep Information:
Amount: 1 teabag
Additives: none
Water: 8 ounces 180 degree filtered boiled water
Steep Time: a little over 2 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Smell: grassy, vegetal
Flavor: grassy, bitter
Body: Light (MilitiaJim) Medium (AmazonV)
Aftertaste: bitter
Liquor: light greenish brown

I didn’t have high hopes, and I was right, but it was free. No full leaf here.

Post-Steep Additives: Honey, which took the bite out of the bitter but it was still there, reminded me of a more bitter Arizona tea green tea with honey.

Resteep: didn’t work out, too weak

Jillian

Most tea bags don’t resteep very well I’ve found.

AmazonV

Oh yes I agree, but I keep holding out hope…maybe one will? plus i’m a little OCD and once i make a process i stick to it (currently: take picture, steep tea, take picture, drink, maybe add stuff, resteep, blog)

For me, this is one of Celestial Seasoning’s blunders. Maybe it’s low quality leaves, maybe it’s something they add to it, but it doesn’t have the good clean fresh taste other green teas have. It is, in fact, really gross! I bought some as a cheaper replacement for loose leaf green teas and I couldn’t finish the box.

I love this iced and hot… And this is coming from someone who cannot tolerate hot tea (until I recently visited Teavana a few days ago for the first time, and had my faith restored).

I could wear the smell of this tea bag as a perfume; I love everything about it. I just get the water to just bubbling, and steep for two minutes, than add honey until I feel it’s sweet enough.

Not bitter, not too earthy… Mild with a lovely flavor that’s not bland to me at all.
All it takes, and I’m sold 1000% (yes, one thousand).

I drink this at work and I think it’s a serviceable green tea. It is a bit harsh, but the addition of white tea does help tame the strong grassy flavor. Even I did not rate this tea highly, it is probably my favorite green tea that uses fannings.

This is my go to green tea because I’m cheap and it’s pretty fool proof. I’ve left the bag in my cup for hours, and it hasn’t gotten bitter on me or changed the flavor. I use my Keurig to heat the water, let it cool for a few seconds, and then dump a bag in, add honey (or a teaspoon of sugar) and go. It has a light taste to it that I like, and don’t get sick of. I don’t think I’ve ever had a scent problem with it like I have had with others. Overall, I just really like this tea.

not my favorite cup of tea. very plain with a weird scent and flavor, will not be drinking this again. maybe i steeped it wrong…