Sugar Plum Spice

Fruit Herbal Blend
Cinnamon, Plums
Edit tea info Last updated by katrina

From Celestial Seasonings

Take a sip of Sugar Plum Spice Holiday Herbal Tea and journey with us to the Land of the Sweets in Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker. Here you’ll find gingerbread houses, trees laden with sugar plums, days filled with sunshine and the beautiful Sugar Plum Fairy. Sugar Plum Spice is made with 100% natural herbs and the festive flavors of plum and spice, with just a hint of sweetness.

About Celestial Seasonings View company

Well, I got this tea sometime prior to 2009…because the box I have in the pantry has an expiry date in 2010. I think of “best before” dates as simply that. After that date is when “life gets interesting”.

And since my life needs to get interesting again…why not give it a try?

Let me tell you. There’s no way this is what it tastes like anymore. The paper bag is stained and brown now, and smells more than a little spicy. It tastes very similar to how it smells; spicy first then a bit of sweet at the end. If someone told me it was plum I might believe them, but I certainly wouldn’t guess that. But that is completely my fault; there’s no way you can let a tea sit for 6 years and expect it to taste the same as it did when the box was freshly opened. You know what? I don’t even care. I LIKE IT this way. It yuuuuuummy. At the same time, I vaguely remember how much I liked this tea when it was fresh, too.

Verdict: if I ever find it again in stores, I’ll be buying more.

I think that this is the oldest box of tea in my stash. …It was actually from my mum’s stash. The box has the old red/white/blue ballerina art, not the cutesy purple fairy stuff. I mean, late 90’s/early 2000’s. I could probably sell this in the vintage part of Etsy.

….To be honest, it still tastes the same as it did 5+ years ago. That is, kind of like potpourri. Perhaps it has mellowed a bit, which is probably a good thing. I always brew it for about 2 minutes, then add a used black teabag for about 2 more minutes to kind of make a lazy person’s blend.

I wouldn’t be consuming this tea if I didn’t have a complex about food waste. I guess it’s just that sugared fruits, candied fruits, and applets/cotlets/Turkish delights/heavy sweet fruity winter things really aren’t part of my culture? Perhaps this tea is imbued heavily with Tchaikovsky elements, which means that I instinctively shy away from it? I don’t know. CS really isn’t my favorite company to begin with (but I really appreciate their packaging and production beliefs), so I’m not that broken-hearted. …Though I do have at least 4 more bags of this. …

Snowing heavily here, and wanted something Christmas-y. Spicy, thanks to the cinnamon. If it didn’t say Plum on the package, I couldn’t have told you there was plum in it. Tasty, but only one steep per bag.

Christa Clark

I’ve seen that one in the stores and was curious!

Great for setting the Christmas mood, however this really doesn’t suit my pallet. It has a hint of sweetness, and a whole load of plum which is accompanied by a nice amount of cinnamon. This cinnamon can easily become overpowering to the point of giving you a numbing sensation on your tongue if you steep it too long or as it has a strong flavor, steep it in a cup that is smaller (9oz and around there). If you are going to enjoy this tea, a large cup or a teapot is very recommended to preparing it. This tea isn’t actually all that bad, I just personally do not like plum teas very much as all.

sherapop

I have this tea and recall not having liked it at all as a beverage. I am thinking about brewing the rest of the bags and using it as the liquid for a rice pudding. We shall see…

One of, if not my favourite teas. I know, I know, it’s bagged and boring, but my word is it ever good. Plum? Sugar? Can’t screw that up.

I was surprised at how good this is. I am not sure why – I have found that when no actual tea leaves are involved, this brand has some interesting flavor combos to offer. It is very fruity and very cinnamony and if you let it steep long enough, it gets sweet too. No sugar needed. A good caffeine free, cheap option.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Hmm. I am reminded of why I don’t drink this one much. It could be that my box is just old, but there’s an overtone to the taste that I can’t quite put my finger on. It’s metallic, kind of like the taste of a fork that’s had its polish worn down. X-P

Anyway, I kind of took an unanticipated hiatus, because of moving and all things related to it, but I’m back now! We have arrived and settled in to our new home in Colorado! It’s so nice to live somewhere with actual, real, bonafide autumn. It’s like stepping out your front doorstep into a puzzle picture. :3

Oh, and another fun but unrelated thing that happened while I was MIA: my daughter has started saying a few words now, and she now asks for tea by name. I normally share with her if I’m not drinking something caffeinated, and she loves it (‘cause what’s not to love?). :)

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Indigobloom

Aw so cute!! baby love for tea <3

So I totally meant to drink Sugar Cookie and not Sugar Plum, as I rummaged through the tea bags that VariaTEA was nice enough to send me, but whoops?

This was actually ok. I was worried it’d be a little too tart so I added a little bit of sugar and it was pretty great. I drank a mason jar of! Awesome. :D

Fjellrev

It sucks that Canada doesn’t get these holiday blends.

aisling of tea

Canada does get these! I’ve found them at Bulk Barn every year and stocked up.

Cavocorax

I remember them being easier to find though! I think I used to buy them at safeway but I had trouble finding them this year. I didn’t realize I had a Bulk Barn so close, or I might have done that!

Roswell Strange

I couldn’t find any in my town :( Luckily, VariaTEA sent me a bunch.

VariaTEA

Ummm….you might be getting more Roswell Strange :S. I know you said no but I won’t drink it so I figured this was it has the chance to be enjoyed.

Roswell Strange

Hah, that’s ok :) At least it wont increase my cupboard number ;)

Fjellrev

I had no idea Bulk Barn carries them! Even the cookie one?

OMGsrsly

I saw them at Superstore (but they’re long gone now), but they all have gluten in them so I just pretended they didn’t exist. :)

aisling of tea

I don’t know about the cookie, but I’ve got 3-4 boxes of Candy Cane Lane and Sugar Plum Spice stocked up to get me through the year!

Before steeping, the scent out of the box is very intense. The strongest notes upon smelling the unsteeped bags is strong with cinnamon and ginger, with an overtone similar to maple syrup. Imagine a sweetened, fruity chai.

The body is somewhat binary: The first hit is wrought with cinnamon, the second hit is a tart plum flavor. In between is a very slight floral taste — this tea is not at all on the flowery nor planty side, despite containing chamomile and rosehips, perhaps because the floral taste is flooded out by spice. Due to the combination of cinnamon and high tanginess, there is a slightly grainy and light mouthfeel, which leaves the tongue rough after the sip.

There is a lingering spicy aftertaste, which leaves the tongue feeling somewhat “prickly”.

Due to the intensity of this tea, DO NOT for more than a minute; else, the taste gets rather extreme, sure to overwhelm most taste buds. Even when steeped shortly, it ends up being a very rich, nearly wine-like cool red color with slight clouding from particulate spices.

Tis the season for Sugar Plum Spice…
Yum