Herbal Tea
Allspice, Barley (Roasted), Carob, Chicory, Cinnamon, Star Anise Bits
Bitter, Dark Bittersweet, Roasted Barley, Spices
Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by swishyhair

• “Not tea. Not coffee. Not chocolate. Not bad! This is very weird stuff, but I like it — maybe more than I expected to. It’s also kind of a historical research project for me, as...” Read full tasting note
    mamamiau 123 tasting notes
  • “Dude, this is one weird tea. I didn’t go into it expecting coffee. which is good, since I don’t think it tastes anything like coffee (unless you only drink chicory coffee.) I think...” Read full tasting note
    stitchywitch 92 tasting notes
  • “Experimented with this today. Was wondering if I combined this with almond syrup, if I could replicate the old Celestial Seasonings Almond Sunset with milk and sugar that I used to drink as a kid...” Read full tasting note
    RachelJ 110 tasting notes
  • “Cold, wet, rainy, and mopey….feeling low enough I really could’ve used a cup of coffee (sorry, sacrilege!) but a cup buzzes me clear to the ceiling these days. So this is a fair...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1942 tasting notes

From Celestial Seasonings

With the robust flavors of roasted chicory and barley, a hint of chocolate from roasted carob and just a touch of cinnamon and allspice, Roastaroma is hearty enough to give you a lift in the morning and delicious enough to enjoy all day long.” — Charlie Baden, Celestial Seasonings Blendmaster Since 1975

Ingredients Roasted barley, roasted chicory, roasted carob, cinnamon, allspice and Chinese star anise.

About Celestial Seasonings View company

Not tea. Not coffee. Not chocolate. Not bad!

This is very weird stuff, but I like it — maybe more than I expected to. It’s also kind of a historical research project for me, as something similar to this blend was apparently used in the American South when real coffee wasn’t available because of the blockade during the Civil War. Roasted grains + chicory was a common coffee substitute.

It looks like coffee. The half-and-half sank into it the same way it sinks into coffee. It definitely doesn’t taste like coffee. I get the carob a bit. Can’t find the star anise or allspice or even the cinnamon. I was thinking the cinnamon would be quite strong.

Far out.

Dude, this is one weird tea. I didn’t go into it expecting coffee. which is good, since I don’t think it tastes anything like coffee (unless you only drink chicory coffee.) I think that I like barley tea, which is itself a bit of an acquired taste, and I remember my Mom drinking this once upon a time.

I got worried when I opened the box and took a sniff. It smells of barley and chicory, which I expected, but I also sensed my one spice nemesis in there – star anise! I don’t know why I dislike it so much, but I do. Still, it was much in the background, and I tolerate some anise heavy teas, so I brewed up a cup. The smell of the tea was, I’m not going to lie, a little off-putting. I can’t explain it, it’s just funky. I like carob, barley, and even chicory well enough on their own, but mixed together with spice it’s all a bit much.

I took a sip. Then I added milk and sugar and took another. It was better, but it was still strange. The problem, I think, is that while the taste isn’t awful, the smell is bad to me, and I can’t avoid it if I’m drinking tea! I think that if it were just the grains it would be fine, but the spices shouldn’t be lurking. The anise came out as it cooled, and the tea gave a coated feeling to my mouth and throat. I tried to finish the cup, but I ended up leaving the dregs. My cat was begging for a smell (he always wants to sniff at what I’m eating or drinking, and I let him after I’m done, as he doesn’t want to eat people food, he just loves smells.) He bristled his tail and ran away. Smart cat. The smell of the teabag was threatening to make me feel ill so I threw it away. And then ate chocolate to get the taste out of my mouth. You see what you are doing to me, Celestial Seasonings? It looked all innocent in the box, and led to chocolate (wait, that part’s not so bad!) But I think I’ll skip the funky tea and go straight to the dark chocolate next time.

Experimented with this today. Was wondering if I combined this with almond syrup, if I could replicate the old Celestial Seasonings Almond Sunset with milk and sugar that I used to drink as a kid with my mom in the afternoons. The answer is YES! Tastes just like it. I used Fabbri brand syrup.

Now that I’m into real tea, I don’t think I’ll crave this too often, but it’s a nice non-caffeinated dessert drink. The Roastaroma on its own is an interesting, malty beverage with lots of body and no astringency or bitterness.

1942 tasting notes

Cold, wet, rainy, and mopey….feeling low enough I really could’ve used a cup of coffee (sorry, sacrilege!) but a cup buzzes me clear to the ceiling these days. So this is a fair substitute with a little half-and-half. The chicory has a nice chocolately sort of feel.

I bought this tea out of curiosity. It would be unfair to compare it to coffee since it tastes nothing remotely like coffee. Comparing it to other teas, it is a very dark, roasty, chocolately flavor with subtle spiciness. I find it a little strong to drink by itself so I add some milk and honey to it.

I think I like it only out of nostalgia

Andriel

Just a thought: you might like it better if you didn’t steep it so long. It tends to get bitter after a while.

I was feeling adventurous the last time I ordered from Celestial Seasonings so I ordered a box of this. I don’t like coffee (though I love the smell), or chicory; but I do like roasted barley, carob, cinnamon, nutmeg, and anise so I figured it was worth a shot. This is a very strong tea. It’s in the same flavor category as coffee, dark chocolate, and strong black tea but it is definitely it’s own distinct flavor. I could taste the carob, barley and chicory, while the cinnamon and nutmeg are only an accent on the flavor. I didn’t taste the anise at all, so it’s probably just a tiny amount to take the edge off the bitterness. After a bit of experimentation, I decided that I’m not a huge fan of this plain, but it makes a very nice latte, and it’s especially nice with a teaspoon of cocoa powder added to the mix. When I pick up more brewing cocoa, I’ll have to try blending that. I have seen several varieties of “herbal coffee” that have made me curious. Since I like this one, I’ll have to give some other varieties a try.

Flavors: Bitter, Dark Bittersweet, Roasted Barley, Spices

gmathis

I’ve always liked this one but hadn’t considered the cocoa touch! (Now that you mention it, I’ve got some straight-up chicory in my pantry … hmmm…!)

tea-sipper

Hope you are okay. Wondering what is going on with the Here’s Hoping teabox?

Not bad. Not bad at all. Definitely reminds me of coffee, but smoother. Love sampling from whole food stores. I would not be sure I’d get some myself, but if I was desperately trying to give up coffee, I’d get this on discount. It also might NOT be beneficial because it would accelerate my coffee cravings.

__Morgana__

I had a boyfriend in college who loved this stuff.

Yep, this is a weird one. At first I loved the roasted, warm flavor… but eventually I grew tired of it. It’s a nice change of pace from the teas I usually drink, but I think my exploration into chicory tea is over.

185 °F / 85 °C 5 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

My mom used to drink this tea when I was a kid as a replacement for coffee, so the aroma and flavor hold a strong sense of nostalgia for me. This IS a weird tea, now that I’m a more experienced tea drinker, perhaps an acquired taste. But the musky sweet aroma and bitter coffee-like flavor is really enjoyable if you give it a chance. Great with a dash of cream and honey, a favorite for cold winter mornings for me. Also wonderful blended with a smidgen of Scottish breakfast tea for a little kick of caffeine!