Herbal Tea
Mint, Orange, Hops, Spearmint
Edit tea info Last updated by Mandie

• “Backlogging: I finally joined the masses and purchased a Keurig recently - a mini one, since we don't drink much coffee - and it's teal. Eee! I love it. Anyway, I purchased the Sleepytime K-cups,...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes
  • “I saw my parents had a K-cup of this stuff, so I made it. I've been trying to find a good way to get myself to fall asleep and stay asleep. I've been using Benadryl and it makes me groggy in the...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes
  • “ikr i mean who even AM I?!?!? i'm drinking a camomile tea!? and bagged tea at that!? but listen, i did a 20 mile long run this morning and it made me stupid and the day all kindsa weird. (but ya...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 734 tasting notes
  • “It's cozy; a good sloppy, bag-in steeper; and my hands were cold. This isn't a sleep-inducer for me, but it's soothing and calming and I was too tired to make anything that required conscious...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1688 tasting notes

From Celestial Seasonings

“Sleepytime’s comforting aroma and perfectly balanced flavor are achieved by blending soothing herbal ingredients from around the world—including floral Egyptian chamomile, cool spearmint from the Pacific Northwest, and lively Guatemalan lemongrass. This global synergy is only fitting, since all over the world, generations of tea lovers have wound down their day with Sleepytime.” —Charlie Baden, Celestial Seasonings Blendmaster Since 1975

Sleepytime—A Bedtime Story
We started blending all-natural teas from herbs picked in the fields and forests of the Rocky Mountains back in 1969. Sensing the need for a truly soothing tea to help calm the nervous world around them, our founders created the beloved blend of chamomile, spearmint and lemongrass known as Sleepytime. The first batches were packaged in hand-sewn muslim bags adorned with a simple drawing of a peacefully sleeping bear. Since then, we’ve served up nearly 2 billion cups of our comforting Sleepytime teas—helping the whole world unwind!

Ingredients: Chamomile, spearmint, West Indian lemongrass, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn and rosebuds.

Hot tea by the cup: Pour freshly boiled water over one tea bag. Steep 4 to 6 minutes and remove tea bag. Sweeten if desired.

About Celestial Seasonings View company

After a four-hour car trip with my mother, I put on a kettle of water. “Why are you making tea now?” she asked, at 11:00 at night.

Why not?

I went with this; it’s a good wind-down tea. It’s calming and spearminty. I don’t recall a whole lot more about it, since it was 11:00 at night and all, but it was a good selection for a late-night fix right before bed.

Angrboda

A perfectly reasonable time for a cup, I think. Especially when coming home after that. No matter how tired I am coming home from something, I do still tend to sleep better if I’ve had a little quiet time before going to bed. What better way to do that than with a quick cup?

Angela

Exactly! At least I picked something without caffeine…

I like this classic blend of Celestial’s – beats plain chamomile though sometimes plain is good too…especially if you use whole flowers of the non-bagged kind :)

I’m backlogging from last night. I’ve been enjoying my candy cane lane before bedtime, so I wanted another option that would take me past the holiday season. This seems like the classic, so I went with it. I figured it’s not too much of an investment at m left trying to figure out what my bedtime tea might be. I have a box of this+jasmine green decaf on the way. Maybe that will tone down the spearmint a bit… Anyone have a best bedtime decaf/herbal cup?

This box has been in my cupboard forever. I got it in a set with some other one I really wanted, and I just never got around to making this. Since I was already boiling water to steep some kiwi berry for iced tea, and it was 10pm, I figured ‘what the heck!’.

It is pretty standard chamomile tea, but when I thought about it I have to say, I am impressed. I am not sure I can much distinguish between this tea and my loose leaf mint chamomile. It’s thick and flavorful and smells nice. The only thing I might say about this one is that it is leaving a ‘thing’ in the back of my throat. What is that?

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more
zeitfliesst less than a minute ago Yeah, that ‘thing’ at the back of your throat is what threw me off too. My mouth felt really dry after a sip of this tea.
thewaterbird

good to know it was not just me!

Definitely more spearmint than chamomile… Or am I especially sensitive to spearmint????

I like the taste and this tea does relax me and help falling asleep, but I keep having these horrible nightmares when I go to bed at night and nap in the afternoon. I’ve had this tea 3 days in a row, steeping two bags in my 32 oz teapot for about 3 minutes and everytime I go to sleep I’m dreaming of the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. Does anyone else respond like this? And if so do you know what is causing it?

Not individually wrapped, no string or tag. Night time tea. Willing to trade this away. I would rather drink a green tea before I go to bed.

Bonnie

Green tea has caffeine. Hope that doesn’t bother you!

emblby

The lack of string or tag is intentional – for years I thought it indicated lower quality too, but I was impressed to read an in-depth sustainability report from them a couple years ago that suggests quite the contrary…

Here’s a summary: “We’ve always felt that strings and tags on tea bags only do one thing – produce unnecessary waste. So we choose to use a unique pillow-style tea bag that doesn’t need a string, tag, staple or individual wrapper – and as a result, we save 3.5 million pounds of waste from entering landfills every year!”

That’s 1750 tons of landfill saved just from leaving off a tiny string and tag!!

Today i felt very sick and nauseous so not in the mood for any fancy tea. I wanted something to feel better before a little nap on a rainy day.

It was one of the herbal tea that my grandmother always had in her cupboard, so it reminds me of her very much. Nothing special about this tea, taste like it should : mint and chamomile . Its really soothing and really helped for my nausea.

I suggest to add some honey.

Boiling 8 min or more

A friend of mine recommended that try some chamomile teas because I’ve been having trouble sleeping.

I am not sure why I tried this…(could have been the free tin, I won’t lie)…because I loathe spearmint. Oddly enough, I love this tea. Everything blends together well, and it is just so soothing. It is such a comforting cup of tea that it has helped me wind down before sleep on a number of occasions now. I will definitely be repurchasing this one. :)

Stephanie V

This is one of my standard cupboard teas. My mom was a huge Celestial Seasonings fan, so I grew up buying and trying all their teas. I’m glad you liked this one!

Bubbles

I’m pretty sure I will always try to have some of this around. It is a really relaxing tea.

Most nights I fall into bed aching, but my mind still whirring – I’m the kind of person who needs to keep a notebook near their bed and hide work somewhere else. Celestial Seasonings isn’t a supermarket brand in the UK, and I am not even going to lie, I bought my box because I associated it with Ramona Flowers (sassy, tea-obsessed heroine of Scott Pilgrim). I was initially sceptical, as chamomile has never worked for me.

Onto the actual tasting. I love the spearmint hit from the box and and it’s always the most prominent smell and taste to me. The taste is smooth and sort of stereotypically ‘herbal’ – chamomile, mint, lemongrass, rose – and it leaves a tingly, cool feeling in your throat. I’m sure half of this is placebo, but when I brew a cup and breathe deeply into it, I do find it immensely relaxing. Magically, it does actually seem to help me sleep – if I’m restless and brew a cup just before I go to bed, I can feel my eyelids getting heavy (they are right now!). It’s not always the most refreshing sleep, but it’s sleep. This is one of my staple ‘just in case’ teas now.

A note for people who use a tea box, like me – keep your Sleepytime inside its waxy bag and box. If you keep it with other teas, it just loses all of its mintiness.