Herbal Tea
Blackberry Leaves, Chamomile, Hawthorn, Lemongrass, Rose Buds, Spearmint
Blackberry, Herbaceous, Medicinal, Spearmint, Mint, Sweet, Floral, Lemongrass, Orange, Hops
Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Sabrael D. Carroll

3 Images

From Celestial Seasonings

A soothing blend of chamomile, spearmint and lemongrass, Sleepytime® is the most beloved of our herbal tea recipes.

“Sleepytime’s comforting aroma and perfectly balanced flavor are achieved by blending soothing herbal ingredients from around the world—including floral Egyptian chamomile, cool spearmint from the Pacific Northwest, and lively Guatemalan lemongrass. This global synergy is only fitting, since all over the world, generations of tea lovers have wound down their day with Sleepytime.”
— Charlie Baden, Celestial Seasonings Blendmaster

INGREDIENTS: Chamomile, spearmint, lemongrass, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn and rosebuds.

Hot Tea by the Cup

Pour freshly boiled water over one tea bag. Steep 4 to 6 minutes and remove tea bag. Sweeten if desired.

About Celestial Seasonings View company

After a four-hour car trip with my mother, I put on a kettle of water. “Why are you making tea now?” she asked, at 11:00 at night.

Why not?

I went with this; it’s a good wind-down tea. It’s calming and spearminty. I don’t recall a whole lot more about it, since it was 11:00 at night and all, but it was a good selection for a late-night fix right before bed.

A perfectly reasonable time for a cup, I think. Especially when coming home after that. No matter how tired I am coming home from something, I do still tend to sleep better if I’ve had a little quiet time before going to bed. What better way to do that than with a quick cup?

Exactly! At least I picked something without caffeine…

I like this classic blend of Celestial’s – beats plain chamomile though sometimes plain is good too…especially if you use whole flowers of the non-bagged kind :)

I’m backlogging from last night. I’ve been enjoying my candy cane lane before bedtime, so I wanted another option that would take me past the holiday season. This seems like the classic, so I went with it. I figured it’s not too much of an investment at

This box has been in my cupboard forever. I got it in a set with some other one I really wanted, and I just never got around to making this. Since I was already boiling water to steep some kiwi berry for iced tea, and it was 10pm, I figured ‘what the heck!’.

It is pretty standard chamomile tea, but when I thought about it I have to say, I am impressed. I am not sure I can much distinguish between this tea and my loose leaf mint chamomile. It’s thick and flavorful and smells nice. The only thing I might say about this one is that it is leaving a ‘thing’ in the back of my throat. What is that?

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more
zeitfliesst less than a minute ago Yeah, that ‘thing’ at the back of your throat is what threw me off too. My mouth felt really dry after a sip of this tea.

good to know it was not just me!

Definitely more spearmint than chamomile… Or am I especially sensitive to spearmint????

I like the taste and this tea does relax me and help falling asleep, but I keep having these horrible nightmares when I go to bed at night and nap in the afternoon. I’ve had this tea 3 days in a row, steeping two bags in my 32 oz teapot for about 3 minutes and everytime I go to sleep I’m dreaming of the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. Does anyone else respond like this? And if so do you know what is causing it?

Not individually wrapped, no string or tag. Night time tea. Willing to trade this away. I would rather drink a green tea before I go to bed.

Green tea has caffeine. Hope that doesn’t bother you!

The lack of string or tag is intentional – for years I thought it indicated lower quality too, but I was impressed to read an in-depth sustainability report from them a couple years ago that suggests quite the contrary…

Here’s a summary: “We’ve always felt that strings and tags on tea bags only do one thing – produce unnecessary waste. So we choose to use a unique pillow-style tea bag that doesn’t need a string, tag, staple or individual wrapper – and as a result, we save 3.5 million pounds of waste from entering landfills every year!”

That’s 1750 tons of landfill saved just from leaving off a tiny string and tag!!

Today i felt very sick and nauseous so not in the mood for any fancy tea. I wanted something to feel better before a little nap on a rainy day.

It was one of the herbal tea that my grandmother always had in her cupboard, so it reminds me of her very much. Nothing special about this tea, taste like it should : mint and chamomile . Its really soothing and really helped for my nausea.

I suggest to add some honey.

Boiling 8 min or more

A friend of mine recommended that try some chamomile teas because I’ve been having trouble sleeping.

I am not sure why I tried this…(could have been the free tin, I won’t lie)…because I loathe spearmint. Oddly enough, I love this tea. Everything blends together well, and it is just so soothing. It is such a comforting cup of tea that it has helped me wind down before sleep on a number of occasions now. I will definitely be repurchasing this one. :)

Stephanie V

This is one of my standard cupboard teas. My mom was a huge Celestial Seasonings fan, so I grew up buying and trying all their teas. I’m glad you liked this one!

I’m pretty sure I will always try to have some of this around. It is a really relaxing tea.

Most nights I fall into bed aching, but my mind still whirring – I’m the kind of person who needs to keep a notebook near their bed and hide work somewhere else. Celestial Seasonings isn’t a supermarket brand in the UK, and I am not even going to lie, I bought my box because I associated it with Ramona Flowers (sassy, tea-obsessed heroine of Scott Pilgrim). I was initially sceptical, as chamomile has never worked for me.

Onto the actual tasting. I love the spearmint hit from the box and and it’s always the most prominent smell and taste to me. The taste is smooth and sort of stereotypically ‘herbal’ – chamomile, mint, lemongrass, rose – and it leaves a tingly, cool feeling in your throat. I’m sure half of this is placebo, but when I brew a cup and breathe deeply into it, I do find it immensely relaxing. Magically, it does actually seem to help me sleep – if I’m restless and brew a cup just before I go to bed, I can feel my eyelids getting heavy (they are right now!). It’s not always the most refreshing sleep, but it’s sleep. This is one of my staple ‘just in case’ teas now.

A note for people who use a tea box, like me – keep your Sleepytime inside its waxy bag and box. If you keep it with other teas, it just loses all of its mintiness.