Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Mandie

• “Backlogging: I finally joined the masses and purchased a Keurig recently - a mini one, since we don't drink much coffee - and it's teal. Eee! I love it. Anyway, I purchased the Sleepytime K-cups,...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes
  • “I saw my parents had a K-cup of this stuff, so I made it. I've been trying to find a good way to get myself to fall asleep and stay asleep. I've been using Benadryl and it makes me groggy in the...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes
  • “ikr i mean who even AM I?!?!? i'm drinking a camomile tea!? and bagged tea at that!? but listen, i did a 20 mile long run this morning and it made me stupid and the day all kindsa weird. (but ya...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 721 tasting notes
  • “It's cozy; a good sloppy, bag-in steeper; and my hands were cold. This isn't a sleep-inducer for me, but it's soothing and calming and I was too tired to make anything that required conscious...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1630 tasting notes

From Celestial Seasonings

“Sleepytime’s comforting aroma and perfectly balanced flavor are achieved by blending soothing herbal ingredients from around the world—including floral Egyptian chamomile, cool spearmint from the Pacific Northwest, and lively Guatemalan lemongrass. This global synergy is only fitting, since all over the world, generations of tea lovers have wound down their day with Sleepytime.” —Charlie Baden, Celestial Seasonings Blendmaster Since 1975

Sleepytime—A Bedtime Story
We started blending all-natural teas from herbs picked in the fields and forests of the Rocky Mountains back in 1969. Sensing the need for a truly soothing tea to help calm the nervous world around them, our founders created the beloved blend of chamomile, spearmint and lemongrass known as Sleepytime. The first batches were packaged in hand-sewn muslim bags adorned with a simple drawing of a peacefully sleeping bear. Since then, we’ve served up nearly 2 billion cups of our comforting Sleepytime teas—helping the whole world unwind!

Ingredients: Chamomile, spearmint, West Indian lemongrass, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn and rosebuds.

Hot tea by the cup: Pour freshly boiled water over one tea bag. Steep 4 to 6 minutes and remove tea bag. Sweeten if desired.

About Celestial Seasonings View company

I love the mix of chamomile and spearmint in this tea. As per the name of this tea, I drink this when it’s “Sleepytime” for me. I wouldn’t say that it puts me to sleep, but it does help me relax at the very end of my day.

I typically steep this tea for a while in about 1/2 cup of water. Any more than that and I will wake up at night to pee. If I add any sweetener at all, it’s usually just a small bit of honey.

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more

When I was ten or so, this is what I would drink before going to bed. So it does ‘work’ in that regard. Unfortunately, the chamomile tasted so bitter to me I had to have a teaspoon or two of honey with it. Maybe it had something to do with the brewing time rather than the chamomile, but this tea turned me off chamomile.
It does taste wonderful with honey though.

This tea works in a pinch when I’m out of my other night time teas.

I remember liking this tea a lot the first time I tried it but this batch is definitely a sub par experience. The promise of spearmint and chamomile mix was not delivered right with neither spearmint nor chamomile recognizable and the whole mix tasting like “some herb” tea.

Classic. It’ll only make you sleepy if you chase a Xanax down with it. However, it does help to relax the innards if you have cramps or a digestive embarrassment. I think it also helps ease sore throats. Like Caitlan said — a great companion to sweet treats.

This tea reminds me of my youth. Cold nights at home with my family. Great decaf tea!!

UGh, I’m sure I need to try this one again because I kind of made it and didn’t sit to enjoy it like I do my other teas. I got not much flavor profile and mostly other sensory profile during this first impression, but I do have a whole box of this stuff so I can try it again.

This was such a miserable week for me, and I made this yesterday when I came home. I was frustrated, grumpy and sad. Mostly I needed something to calm me down, and since I had finished off the last of the Tazo Calm (and I haven’t seen a sale recently), which is my usual standby, I tried this one because I wasn’t in the mood for straight camomile and dealing with flower heads in my tea cup.

I don’t like it as much as Tazo Calm. It sleeps much more herbally, and reminds me of the Badger Sleep Balm if you’ve ever tried that. It’s also got a lot less inherent sweet than the Tazo version. BUT it is much lighter on the wallet and it did force me to calm down. I do mean force, it’s quite strong I think. I only had two small tea cups before I really didn’t want it anymore, and that wasn’t because it tasted bad. It does taste not too appealing cold.

I do know that I don’t like the packaging. I just prefer tea bags that are individually wrapped I think. Honestly I thought the tea bags stuffed in another bag and sealed with resealable glue… was a Trader Joe’s thing because I had never seen another company do it. I think it kind of takes out the portability of the teabag, which is why I still buy tea bags from time to time. This seems like it won’t keep the tea fresh for very long at all, and I don’t think I’m going to go through this THAT quickly. I suppose that’s one way of keeping the costs down though from company perspective.

carol who

I combined the Sleepytime with a vanilla I had around. I actually have no idea what brand the vanilla is. One of those thing you throw in a nice tea tin and stupidly write vanilla and swear to your self you’ll remember what it was. Duh! But it helps make it much more interesting. My vanilla is a loose leaf and the Sleepytime is a bag. I throw both of them in the brewing basket together and it works out fine for me.

Flyawaybirdie

Haha, when I started reading your comment I thought you meant vanilla extract, and then I had to go back and read it again. I don’t think I have any straight JUST vanilla flavored teas, the closest I have is probably an earl grey cream. I did pick up Sleepytime Vanilla when I picked up the Sleepytime though and I’ll try that another day.

This tea is not kiddin around. It really will put you to sleep. I mean, it won’t knock you out but if you find yourself over thinking a lot of things it helps calm your mind. Oh and don’t worry the flavor is good too.

Reminds me of my childhood. So nostalgic.

It serves its purpose – helped me sleep, and I have chronic insomnia – but it doesn’t taste good at all. All in all, it’s a good tea if you’re trying to sleep better, but the taste could definitely be improved – though it is a simple matter of opinion.