Herbal Tea
Catnip, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Ginger, Hops, Lemongrass, Licorice, Natural Lemon Flavor, Peppermint
Cinnamon, Hibiscus, Floral, Flowers, Mint, Orange, Rose, Rosehips, Sweet, Licorice, Lemon Zest
Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Cornflake

2 Images

• “Hello Steepster, I am back for a bit, haven't been drinking much tea lately, trying to avoid the caffeine. I got this at Whole Foods along with a bevy of vitamins and some green juice. It's been...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2419 tasting notes
  • “I am attempting to finish off my box of Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer tonight. I was unable to finish everything I needed to do for my move this morning at 7am, so now I really need to relax...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 1096 tasting notes
  • “Bagged Aroma when Dry: minty,spicy, chewy After water is first poured: lemony, minty At end of steep: sticky sweet, bright, minty, lemony Tea liquor: At end of steep: mossy green Staple?...” Read full tasting note
    NatureDancer 189 tasting notes
  • “I actually really enjoy this. Like others have said, there are a lot of competing flavors in here and the only thing that I can really pick out as dominant is the lemon flavoring. It is a strange...” Read full tasting note
    Kwinter 169 tasting notes

From Celestial Seasonings

“This comforting blend begins with eleuthero, an Asian herb popular for centuries because of the sense of calm and well being it imparts. We’ve added cooling peppermint, spicy ginger and tangy lemons to create a remarkably uplifting herbal blend. Bring harmony to your hectic day with a cup of this flavorful and restorative tea.” — Charlie Baden, Celestial Seasonings Blendmaster Since 1975.

Ingredients: Eleuthero, peppermint, cinnamon, ginger, chamomile, West Indian lemongrass, licorice, catnip, tilia flowers, natural lemon flavor with other natural flavors (contains soy lecithin), hops and Vitamins B6 and B12.

About Celestial Seasonings View company

Another old school one for me. (and yes it was the box art that conned me into this one).
But it is a good tea, and as I recall quite lemoney to me.
And despite this being something that tastes of highschool nostalgia to me, I am
actually pining for a cup at the moment….b/c if I thought that time frame of my life
was tension-filled. Well, lets just say it needs mega taming now.

I recently discovered this tea and it’s one of my favorites at the moment. Definitely has a unique combination of flavors, but it’s soothing and I’m a big fan.

Boiling 8 min or more

Tension Tamer is a favorite for my mother and me, and in my opinion, it is one of the best herb teas available from Celestial Seasonings. While bagged teas are never quite as good as the full leaf alternative, they are more widely available.

I have experimented quite a bit with this tea. It is good as a hot tea, as well as iced. I have also brewed iced tea mixing this with the Republic of Tea’s Mint Fields Herb Tea. It makes an excellent summer tea: light and refreshing!

Ginger is overpowering in this tea, at least I think it is ginger… so ginger haters beware! I didn’t notice it provide any help to cope with stress, it’s just isn’t potent enough for that.

Boiling

This is a great herbal tea, and I really like it, although I admit that it does taste somewhat “medicinal”. I do like how the minty taste dances in my mouth for several seconds after each swallow, but ultimately fades to a more subdued flavor. The inclusion of B-vitamins is an added bonus!

I love tea but I’m usually having to ignore the unpleasant taste of not of them. This tea by far is the best tea I’ve ever had, I love it! I don’t see myself buying a different one.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Hibiscus

This tea… It’s not for me. It’s very, very sweet. It’s minty. It’s lemony. It’s got a warmth from the cinnamon in it, but it’s cooling due to the mint. I don’t know. It’s not horribly offensive, I just don’t love it.

Nice and sweet, hint of mint. A bit more mild than I prefer, but still a good tea. I like to mix it with Bigelow’s or Twining’s Chamomile tea or Bigelow’s “Sweet Dreams” for when I’m going to bed.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Mint, Orange, Rose, Rosehips, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Tension Tamer has a nice relaxing taste that is hard to describe beyond slightly sweet and enjoyable. I have no idea if it is the Eleuthero or Catnip as both are herbs that I have not had before or a combination of both of them. Think of it as a daytime version of Sleepytime that relaxes you but not to the point to being in danger of falling asleep.

Queued post, written May 1st 2014

I have a bit of a headache today so I thought it would be a good time to try this blend which MissB shared with me. I’ve been saving it for a time when I felt I was in need of some ‘taming’, mostly, I admit, out of some curiosity to see if it would work.

At first when I brewed it, I said to myself, “this smells American.” I’m not sure what really defines that smell as such, but it just somehow did. I didn’t even know what was in it at that point. Except some kind of mint because that was abundantly evident as soon as water was poured on it.

Turns out it contains catnip. That explains a lot RE Luna’s mysterious interest in the box of things yet to try as of late. She must have been able to tell there was something very interesting in there even through the plastic bag and all the other teas. I’m not surprised that she could, really. Compared to a cat, us humans have barely any sense of smell at all. Husband is growing some catmint seedlings on the window sill at the moment. Hopefully they’ll be allowed to reach a decent size so that they can survive before they start attracting the cats. They’re still tiny, though, and only three of them have come up (disappointingly) so the allure shouldn’t be too great just yet.

Anyway. It also contains licorice, which I had guessed as well because the blend is very sweet and licorice has a characteristic aftertaste. I had not guessed ginger, though. There can’t be very much of it in the blend because that’s another one of those things where even a little tastes like a lot to me.

There is also a good amount of lemon-y freshness in here, which I must admit I didn’t identify on my own, but rather recognised once I’d read the ingredients list. And finally hops. Hops? Now I don’t like beer of any sort at all not one little bit. It’s one of those things that I simply can’t force through my throat without making a face. Husband says it’s the hops that provides that flavour that I don’t like. He’s probably right too. Just the way that stuff stinks the whole house up when Husband is brewing beer, UGH! Fortunately I had tasted the tea before reading the ingredients, so I knew it wouldn’t taste like beer. Knowing what to look for, though, I think I can nearly identify it in the blend, but it’s very very faint and well blended in with the other flavours.

It’s a pleasant enough blend, this, but not one I would run out and buy tomorrow. I could probably easily drink it as my Triple B (Before Bed Beverage), but the fact is that I’ve already got alternatives there that frankly I like better.

Headache is still there, though. Hm.

Jude

LOL “mysterious interest”… cats are great!

boychik

when my 14 yr old dd feels tired cranky, or “those days” always asks me for this tea. She likes to add 1/2 tsp of honey. i have to say that she gets in a better mood. I dont know if its placebo effect or it really works. But it "works " for her. i tried once i didnt like it.

Jude

I was on a yoga-type retreat on St John in the early 90’s with one week to really chill out from a high-pressure job… after 3 days, not yet feeling unwound, I started drinking this tea and almost magically recaptured a mellower me, stat. Zero to bliss in a day. I keep it on hand now, trusting its value, but only turn to it once in a great while.

Angrboda

I still have one bag left, so I can try again and see if I actually get tamed. Certain time of the month seem a good time to try it. (If it works for that I’ll definitely hunt down a box!)