Earl Grey Exotique

Edit tea info Last updated by IrishBreakfastLass
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

• “This morning has not been a good one. I was going to go with a known comforting blend but I couldn't decide so I thought I would try something new. I got this in a swap with *IrishBreakfastLass*...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2007 tasting notes
  • “Thank you, *Dinosara* for the opportunity to try this complex and very interesting tea! I completely understand what you meant when you talked about the different elements of this tea blending...” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 253 tasting notes
  • “I got this sample in yesterday, and I could smell it before I even opened the box! It's a very sweet fragrance, and it smells exactly the same when brewing. The taste, with no additives, is heavy...” Read full tasting note
    lovingmy4babies 71 tasting notes

From Chado

A classic Nilgiri tea blended with Blue Mallow Blossoms and then flavored with a delicious flavors of Bergamont, Passion Fruit, Rose and a hint of vanilla.

About Chado View company

2007 tasting notes

This morning has not been a good one. I was going to go with a known comforting blend but I couldn’t decide so I thought I would try something new. I got this in a swap with IrishBreakfastLass because she wasn’t fond of it but it seemed right up my alley. Bergamot, rose, passion fruit, vanilla. I have to say, the dry tea smells amazing to me. Strong bergamot, rose, and almost like cookies. Bergamot can have kind of a cakey aroma/flavor sometimes, although it has been a long time since I’ve had a bergamot like that, and that’s what this reminds me of.

The steeped tea retains it’s lovely aroma. Now I think I can discern the vanilla, which adds to the cookie-ish aroma. And when I inhale really deeply I can also make out the passion fruit under there.

Mmm, this is definitely the tea for me, and boy did this swap really work out! :D I find this tea incredibly delicious. It tastes like a blend from Dammann Frères, which is really one of the best compliments I can give it (it’s somewhere between Coquelicot Gourmand and 7 Parfums). It’s one of those blends that is so thick with flavors that it is hard to tear them apart, but they are so delicious together you don’t need to. Bright, citrusy bergamot is the most prominent, and then I can detect luscious rose (which I don’t find to be that strong), a hint of vanilla and a lingering bit of passion fruit, all of which add up to make something like a bergamot cookie (somehow). Love it.

Thank you, Dinosara for the opportunity to try this complex and very interesting tea! I completely understand what you meant when you talked about the different elements of this tea blending together in such a fascinating way. It’s not quite what I’m looking for in an Earl Grey, but it’s only by trying so many different varieties that you do get to dial that in!

You can see pictures here:

I got this sample in yesterday, and I could smell it before I even opened the box! It’s a very sweet fragrance, and it smells exactly the same when brewing. The taste, with no additives, is heavy and complex. I taste the rose, maybe a bit of vanilla, but I think I’m mostly getting the passion fruit flavoring and the rose. There is no bitterness, and very little astringency, if any. It’s ok, but not something I’d seek out. The rose is a bit off-putting for me, and combined with the strong scent, it’s just not my thing. It’s quite possible that the addition of sugar could save it, though.

A spot of sugar does seem to lighten it up a bit, but I think it brings out the rose even more. I am getting a touch of black tea now, though. I think this must be one of those things where you either love it or you don’t. I may try it again, but I’m definitely not loving it right now.