‘Island Green’ Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by ReginaSinstea

From Charleston Tea Plantation

I drink this loose leaf tea at home in the South. Makes a great iced green tea and a nice alternative when suffering from a sweet tea overdose. PLUS it comes from the only tea plantation in the United States. I didn’t know until recently that you can purchase it online. Now I don’t have with(Southern)drawal.

About Charleston Tea Plantation View company

2026 tasting notes

Boiling water? For a green? Well, I have seen that once or twice before, so I gave it a go. I was expecting an awful lot of this, and braced myself for a sour or astringent cup of tea.

Surprise number one was that when the water hit the leaves it smelled like matcha! The tea came out smooth and bright, not sour at all, and not astringent. This was a very pleasant green to end the tea party with!

I was a bit worried at first as this tea smelled STRONGLY of seaweed while in the bag, but it is quite nice brewed! Nothing too special, but I am enjoying my cup. Vegetal, smooth- maybe just a hint of the seaweed in the background… maybe that’s why they call it island green ;)

Bought this while on vacation in South Carolina. It’s a basic, no-frills green tea. Nothing complex, but nothing that your palate needs to adjust to either. Slightly vegetal. Unlikely to offend, but just as unlikely to induce rabid affection. The loose tea was finely chopped? The tin lasted forever. For me, more a reminder of a great vacation than a great tea, but if you want to try a tea grown in the States, it’s not bad.

Fairly standard – yet a flatter tasting – green – in a bag. Not bad yet not overly memorable either.

The last bag from the Charleston Tea Plantation. This is such a nice cup of tea. It tastes clean and fresh. It is a very plain tea, so I bet it would be good in almost any tea preparation. I would totally get some of this tea as a safe tea to carry around in areas where you can’t control the water temperature very well. Like a college where you have to pick between a communal tea kettle or the boiled water that is in the cafeteria.

Bigelow Tea

Meg, thanks so much for sharing your comments on the Island Green Tea….sometimes the simple pleasures of a plain green tea can be quite enjoyable…glad you think so too!
Kathy for Bigelow Tea

Brewed this up this afternoon, seems like a fairly basic green, it was decent – not super or otherwise memorable – just a decent cup of green. Had bought a few Charleston tins visiting my sister in South Carolina – was surprised to see this is the only USA grown te company and plantation :)

Teabag version. 2min at 175 degrees. Bright, grassy, clean flavor. Slightly but pleasantly astringent. “Fresh” is the best word I have to describe it. Would buy if I drank more green tea. Then again, would probably drink more green tea if I bought it…

gmathis

:) Didn’t know Charleston did a green tea. I really like their plain American Breakfast for a cheapie steep.

Bought this a while ago and am just now getting to trying it. I was better than I expected, but then again I expected something absolutely horrific. This tea is overly floral with an slightly unpleasant grassy aftertaste. I admit I bought it purely for the novelty factor of an American green tea. They need to improve this at the Charleston Tea Plantation. They have about 1600 years of catching up to do before they are equal to the Chinese.

I brewed this western style for 3 min with 3 tsp leaf in an 18 oz teapot with 175 degree water.

I was excited to try this tea because its from America! I am proud to be an American and try to buy American as much as I can. As for this tea I was dissapointed. I bought this in a 2 ounce tin and it was a loose green tea. This tea basically tastes like green tea in bags. It lacked much flavor, it was no different than brewing a bigalow green tea bag. I have added chai spice to this so I can get through the tin. I would say the black tea version of this would be much better. If your going to go with American Classic I would probably say buy the black tea version!